Cherish Kriek Lambic - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Cherish Kriek LambicCherish Kriek Lambic

good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2002

Ratings: 143 | Reviews: 90
3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

My first review after 3 weeks of sickness.

Pours a hazy red with a decent head that dissapates after a minute but still laces the glass. The aroma is pungent and almost artificial. Sweet fruity cherries but mixed with an acidic note that reminds me of drink mix. Taste starts sweet cherry but instantly follows up with tart citric acid. I don't get much else as the tart overpoweres what might also be there. Anyone who likes "sweet and sour" would likely enjoy this. Overall an ok lambic. A fair amount of carbonation in the mouth making this relatively easy to drink. In combination with the low abv gives this good drinkability if you like the flavor.
Keeping in mind that my allergies are annoying me and I did just get over being sick for 3 weeks I'll revisit this.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: murky cherry red with a ridiculous pink head that retains well and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell: A small amount of citric acid sour bitterness along with some cherry notes and funk. Not as sour as an oud bruin or as funky as a wild ale.

Taste: Dry cherries and sweet sugar are offset with just enough tartness and carbonation to make this a tasty, albeit simple lambic.

Mouthfeel: I like the carbonation and it makes for a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink for the style. Not too much acid so it doesn't get to your stomach.

Its a shame my local retailer charges $3 for a bottle thats less than 9oz or I'd come back to this more often.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

A. Poured on tap into a snifter. Reddish brown in color. No lace.

S. Cherries and malts. Interesting.

T. Pretty good. A nice fruity layer of cherry and candy. Enough malt to let you know its still beer.

M. Light to medium bodied.

D. Fairly drinkable but one is more than enough for me. I'd try it again if I saw it.

2.76/5  rDev -23.3%

8.4oz bottle. Pours into my glass a clear deep blood red with a half inch of pink head on top that falls after a few minutes. Aromas start out with big sweet cherry juice, almost akin to opening a can of cherry pie filling and taking a big whiff. Underneath this there is a touch of wood, light grain and a hint of tartness. No real traditional lambic aromas present.

First sip brings a sweet cherry juice flavor upfront with notes of wheat grain malt as well. Again cherry pie filling comes to mind. It flows down with a mild tartness that hits on the back of the palate. Just a slight woody note as well. Ends with lingering cherry sweetness. Again, no resemblance to a lambic, this comes off as just a sweet cherry beer.

Mouthfeel is on the light side with a fast moving, punchy carbonation. Goes down easily enough, however the sweetness does get to be a bit cloying as the glass nears empty. Overall, I was a disappointed in this beer as it was not what I was expecting. Not something I'd buy again.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%

On-tap at Prost! International Tap House Served in its proper glass ware

Poured a dark bubbly red with lots of little bubbles rising from the glass

Aromas of cherry cough drops It smelled like the box you used to sniff as a kid

Sweet cherries not too much bitter but not sticky sweet either with a light carbonation on your tongue

Very enjoyable drink I had this as a desert brew after downing a bunch of hot wings. The cherry after taste did stay with me quite a while after finishing the brew so If you are not into cherries stay away

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours dark red to near brown color with light pink head.

Nose has some straw/hay, barnyard, and of course cherry.

Palate is beyond mere sour cherry - there's blackberry, raspberry, and the sour component is more pronounced than in many other krieks that I've had.

Finish is rather tart but this lambic is very drinkable for the style.

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

I wasn't going to drink anything tonight, but had to crack an ale in honor of Gary Gygax's untimely passing. Rest in peace, Gary, hope you found your way to the Outer Planes. :(

But the beer! Much like it's fun-loving sibling, Cherish Kriek came in a little 8oz bottle with a label reading "Malt beverage brewed with cherries.". Popping the cap released a slow rush of pink foam from the bottle, which would've spilled over if I hadn't been handy with my chalice.

The head on this isn't quite as absurd as the raspberry, but it's still a good three inches in the glass and fades quickly, leaving sticky pink sea-beer foam on the sides. This "malt beverage" is deep purple red and clear.

Smells like sweetened, fermented, sugared cherries. Tart enough, but a big fruity smell pervades everything going on... it's one-dimensional, sure, but I like it. Tart cherries just smell good, no bones about it.

A sip confirms that this is a very fruity beer. Tart ripe cherries, a hint of tannins, metal and booze and maybe, just maybe, some clove... otherwise, it's all sweet and light and the mouthfeel is scintillating! Well carbonated, tingly, light and finishes perfectly clean, sour-sweet and refreshing.

I think I preferred the raspberry Cherish slightly, but this is also a very tasty, simple and fun little beer. It's not the best Kriek I've had, and isn't even the best cherry lambic, but it's very accessible and good looking. I like Cherish, would pay $3 again for this easily, and can't wait to try the peach.

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Came in a small bottle that was a little pricey. Poured a amber color with a pink fizzy head. Wasn't very big and dissipated quickly. Continued to bubble throughout though. Cherry smell smacks you in the face. Tastes sweet and sour. The cherry taste is more candy almost lab created. There is a great sour cherry taste that doesn't get too much of a vinegar flavor but its there. Mouthfeel is smooth and bubbly and at 5% I could drink 2 or 3 with lunch. Overall it is a good lambic but not as great as lindemans which costs more but comes in a bigger bottle.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

8.4 oz bottle picked up over the weekend at Tres Bonne Cuisine on Overland for probably the standard $3.25.

Poured into my small weizen glass .. huge lite pink head drops leaving quite a bit of sticky big bubble lacing... the brew itself is amber with pink and deep orange.

Big sweet cherry aroma.. compounded by sour and slightly vinegary notes.

Fizzy for sure.. cherries all the way .. semi sweet with a big kick 75% through that slams the sour right into the sugars... nothing great, but every bit as good as some of the mainstream Kreiks.. there is sorta a "production line" taste to this brew.. maybe a very tasty cherry cough syrup aspect... don't get me wrong, there really isn't a whole lot wrong with this brew.. it just sorta lacks depth that some of the better kreiks have in waves... fairly dry finish that lingers with a cherry "laughy taffee" component.

All in all, I am glad that I found TBC... otherwise I would never have written this review let alone had the chance to try this brew.. Thanks Barbara.

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Pours a clear ruby red with a thin brite-white head that left very little lacing. The aroma is thick with the heavy smell of sweet cherries. It reminds me a lot of cough syrup.

Taste is more of the same. Cherries the whole way through with an edge of tartness to it. The cherry taste is not overbearing though as it really seems to stand out with a nice crisp punch that finishes more on the dry side. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and starts out more syrupy but smooths out as it warms with light pops of carbonation.

While I didn't find it's sweet cherry profile to be too over the top, this Lambic delivers just enough for one glass to hold you over. It's pleasant enough but not something that I would run back to over and over again.

P: Dark brown 8.4 oz. ‘mini’ longneck bottle with 5% by Vol and no date stamp.

A: Pours clear light and thin red juice with bunches of carbonation and a light purple robust head of tiny foam that although reduces in height it never went away with light lacing to the bottom.

S: Light fruit and sweet honey with a light nose of alcohol.

T: Bright and crisp that starts with a definite fruit – then berry/cherry mixed with a hint of sweet honey and a dry and very pleasing aftertaste.

M: Although thin, the carbonation really is refreshing to the entire mouth that is pleasing with a very nice dry, yet slightly sweet, honey aftertaste.

D: I could see having a lot of fun with this for an entire evening of a lambic tasting, and highly recommend to anyone who would like to try a very nice lambic. Bottles too small!

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%

8.4 oz brown bottle -- funny label -- a red chalice with a thick white head, a pair of cartoon kiddies kissing on its side, a pair of glazed cherries hanging off the "s" in "Cherish". "Authentic Belgian Kriek Lambic” and “Malt beverage brewed with cherries” -- hmm...

I don't know if the bottle was a bit shook up on the way home from the store or what, but this little bottle completely filled a tall weizen glass with a huge sudsy light pink head, which eventually subsided into a persistant layer of fine bubbles. Spotty lacing all the way down the glass. The liquid was a cloudy dark red with peach highlights.

I don't like the way this lambic smells -- musty, syrupy fruit. The tartness comes through, which saves from being terrible.

Surprisingly, I do like the flavor of the beer -- it's bright, with a good balance of sweetened cherry and tart cherry... The finish manages to be sweet and dry. Interesting...

Thin body, slick mouthfeel; a good fizz and a dry finish keep it from being syrupy. Nice mouthfeel.

Why the average drinkability, then? Maybe it's too sweet and fizzy for me. I could have a second (or third), but I'd rather something else.

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a deep red color, with a small amount of head. Cerries are very noticable in the smell and taste. A small tartness is underlying as well. It is sweet but not over the top sugary at all. I was hoping for a bit more tartness but it got the job done.

2.96/5  rDev -17.8%

A- bright red bubbly body with thin pink head.

S- very strong of cherries. Smells similar to a cough syrup.

T- Intense sour cherry. Very similar to sour cherry pucker. Tastes pretty good but it turned my stomach a little.

M- high carbonation and pretty heavy body.

D- I wouldn't be able to drink too much of this. The flavor is too intense and sour. It is definately worth a try. Do a sample of this one. More than 4 oz may be hard to stomach.

2.82/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance- Pours a grapefruit ruby red with little head. Pale and a bit cloudy.

Smell- Somewhat fake smelling/overdone cherry. It's almost cough syrupy, but in a more appealing way. Smells like this is going to be both sweet and tart.

Taste- A bit tart up front. Bitter grapefruit mingles with the aggressive cherry flavors. Not very impressive to me.

Mouthfeel- Tartness... sweet, and then a bit of a bitterness which hangs around for a bit to dry off your tongue.

Drinkability- I thought this was simply OK. I will choose something else over this if I feel like having a Kriek next time. Worth a try though.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Muted, pink tinged orange color. Very effervescent with a quickly receeding head. Syrupy sweet, cherry aroma. Too sweet/fruit smelling-need to tone it down a bit. Nice, peppery flavor. Cherry flavor dominates the whole picture but it has a nice edge to it. Good body-sharp bite to it in the finish. I quite liked this one. Have had very few lambics-this one is good by my standards.

3.19/5  rDev -11.4%

The kriek is one of those lambics you'll probably not mind or really dislike, and if you have a real sweet tooth, possibly love. I had mine on draft served in the Cherish chalice. The appearance is a pretty bright purplish/hot pink, decent carbonation but not much of a head or lace. The smell is really strong sweet cherry kool-aide, cough syrupy, and not super enticing. I thought the taste was much better however. Sure it was super sweet, but there was a real pleasant tartness to the cherry flavor there, like sour or black cherry, in no small part from the lambic I'm sure, but the fruit itself was nice and not at all artificial tasting. The mouthfeel was actually not as syrupy as it looked like it might be, it had a nice tang to it and was not hard to get down. That said, I'm not sure how drinkable this would be unless you really had a thing for cherry lambics. I think it will be good choice for my non beer-drinking wife (*sigh*) next time I take her to the Sharp Edge.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cherish Kriek Lambic
8.4 oz brown bottle
4LA Jet ink stamped on the back label
Served in a pilsner glass

Pours a light orange color with essentially no head on top. Little spots of sticky lacings appear on the side of the glass.

Pleasant nose of cherry cough syrup and ripe fruit.

Sweet, fruity and distinct cherry flavors. Tart and acidic qualitities are prevalent. This beer is certainly a lambic, but I've gotta be honest, after having a Cantillon Lambic there is no looking back. The Cherish Kriek doesn't taste quite as artifical as a Lindemans, but there is something clearly missing here. I like my lambics to provide more complexity and sour snaps. I finished this beer wanting more.

3.48/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Pours a hazy shade of dark red with thin white head that never leaves completely.

Smell: Sour cherries, like for a cherry pie take over the smell.

Taste: The sour cherry smell turns into a cough mediciny taste, but I found it to be standable. I would have prefered more natural cherry flavor, however. There was also a hint of earthyness that rounded out the tasting experience for me.

Mouthfeel: This felt much like a dry cider on my palate. The carbonation was noticeable, and the taste was crisp.

Drinkability: I would have this again, but probably only in rare circumstances, and when I was eating rich dessert (like plain cheese cake, or chocolate cake).

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

A - this lambic pours a dark brownish red scab kind of color, sounds gross, but its pretty good looking, too hazy to note any carbonation or sediment

S - cherries, of course, very cherry, like the maraschino variety, with a candy quality, smells like Red Vines

T - big cherry up front, then ... nothing, very bland aftertaste, a rich flavorful but fake cherry taste, then nothing

M&D - would make a nice apertif, but practically useless otherwise, good for its style though

3.42/5  rDev -5%

8.4 oz bottle

Pours a hazy reddish color with a very small head that vanishes. No lacing on the glass.

Aroma of tart cherries whit a slight cocoa smell.

Tastes just like it smells. Tart cherries with a slight cocoa flavor at the finish.

Thin body, very little carbonation.

A decent, drinkable kriek.

3.9/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer poured a reddish amber color with a small pinkish head.

The aroma is of cherries and cream soda. It reminds me of Faygo Rock and Rye.

The flavor is of sour cherries. It's a bit on the robituson side towards the end but it is definately good.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think the drinkability is pretty average due to its robituson-like quality towards the end or warming of this one.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a small 1/4 inch head. Aroma was very fruity and winey. A cherry smell was in the backround, but not too strong. Taste was incredibly sour and winey, with notes of cherry, cough syrup and cheap wine. This bottle may have gone bad. Is this beer supposed to be this sour? This lowered the drinkability for me. As the beer warmed, the flavor of cherries did come out more, but not much. Maybe this style of beer is just not for me. It's one and done.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Kool-aid pour deep cartoon wild cherry red with a nice little white head. Light carbonation travels up the sides.

Smells of rich wild cherries. Very bold, very sweet--almost synthetic. Still, nice. There's also some light yeast complexities in there, adding just a little bit of welcome funk.

Tastes like rich, mealy cherry juice combined with a synthetically sweet cherry syrup. Good, once again, but perhaps not as natural as some labic drinkers would like, as the sweetness dulls the tartness (which I like), as well as overriding most of the yeast.

Goes down great, tastes pretty damn good.

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%

I am sampling a room temp bottle poured into a snifter. There is a fizzy pink head that foams up 2 cm easily and fades rather quickly to a thin wispy surface layer. The brew exhibits a slightly cloudy cherry red hue.
Aroma is candy sweet cherry. Think cherry pie or cherry Ludens cough drops. Aroma is not overpowering but is unmistakenly cherry sweet.
First sip reveals an average to lite body with very fine fizzy carbonation that bubbles and then disappears quickly. The beer goes completely thin and watery on the swallow. Flavor is no surprise, I get some sweet cherry up front, a bit of musty funk and a bit of a sour tart finish that makes my mouth pucker for a second. No lingering flavor whatsoever. I almost forget that I took a sip after each swallow as there is no evidence in my mouth from the beer.
A decent beer, I wouldnt hunt it down, but fun enough and would be good with some fruity desert I think.

Cherish Kriek Lambic from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.