Cherish Kriek Lambic - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Cherish Kriek LambicCherish Kriek Lambic

good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2002)
3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington, PA.

Poured into a goblet: Red plum body with thin, sudsy white-pink head. Little, fast nucleation streams.

Smells of cherry pie filling, cherry Jolly Ranchers (oh boy, here we go...).

Taste is cherry Jolly Rancher, sweet & rich, sugary with some tart character.

Mouthfeel is sweet, smooth, just a tad tart & very sticky & viscous -- thickens my saliva.

Not bad, but I can't help from comparing it to a liquid Jolly Rancher: the candy character is so clear, & has just the right amount of tartness. I enjoyed it, but one is satisfying.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into a tulip glass. After the little head disappears it looks just like cherry juice only with a bit of white lacing.

Smells like thick cherry syrup. The taste is very sweet upfront with a balanced body and a rather sour finish. The aftertaste in the mouth is really pleasant and sweet overall. The sweet and sour dichotomy is really enjoyable.

The beer has a thick body and a hint of boozyness to it. I'm pretty new to lambics, but I know this is quite a sweet example. I think it should have a bit more beer flavour. To me it really seems like a carbonated cherry juice with bit of alcohol in the mix.

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Pours electric red with a small pink head. Smells like candy sour cherries and, well tastes like it too. The mouthfeel isn't too thick, sugary, syrupy like some brews like this, so that helps out the mouthfeel and drinkability of it. The slight tartness of it helps to cut back the sugar sweetness, making this dangerously drinkable; however I would not session this beer for two reasons: first, no one looks manly drinking multiples of this, and b) there is simply too much sugar to not leave you with a "please god kill me now" hangover in the morning. I will most likely buy this beer again.

3.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Served from a bottle into a Duvel glass.

A: Pours a ruby red amber with thin film of head.

S: Cherry cough drops. Very tart.

T: Lots of tart cherry. Quite sweet.

M: Lingers nicely but the sweetness is a bit cloying.

D: Too sweet to be consumed in large quantities.

Not something I'd go out of my way to have again.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured a clear red color with a pink head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has your typical Kriek nose a lot of sweet dark cherry syrup scent

T - Follows the nose with very sweet dark cherries finishes a little tart

M - This beer has a fuller body with with high carbonation to it

D - Overall this is a pretty enjoyable beer its a bit sweeter than I prefer but if your into lambics this is worth picking up sometime to try

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Poured from an 8.4 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a deep ruby red color with an inch of red head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet cherries, dark fruits, and maybe a hint of sour cherry.

t - Tastes of sweet dark fruits, especially cherries. A little bit too sweet for me but still pretty good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A nice, very easy to drink lambic. A little too sweet for me in the taste, but good none the less. Would try again.

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(Served in a flute)
A- The deep red body has a slight denseness to it with a big bubble carbonation supporting a foam of bright pink that fades to a cobweb lace soon after the first sip.
S- The syrupy bold cherry aroma has real fruit qualities and a slight sweetness with dark cherry finish.
T- The full cherry syrup is not really sweet but is strong. There is a slight cola and dark nougat flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor hangs on the tongue after each sip.
M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a fizzy finish with no alcohol heat.
D- This is a nice full cherry soda for a novelty but I couldn't handle more than one. I would classify this as a cherry alco-pop but not a lambic.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

We are trying another lambic! Really enjoy the contrast of the sweet and sour notes.

A: Good rich reddish brown color. No head with little spots of lacing.

S: The sourness comes out even in smelling, the Kreik of course gives a good sweet cherry smell with a hint of malt.

T: More sour then some, lite notes of cherry - unexpectedly, and a sweet finish.

M: Very dry, sits well in the mouth and has a bit during the finish.

Overall we are still in love with lambics, this one is not however a top competitor in our view. The contrast of this to others, it seems that something is missing. Maybe the bacteria cultures here are not at the same level as most.

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

On tap at the Gulu Gulu Bar in downtown Salem MA. USA.
Served on draft with proper glassware.

I love krieks, sours, and Belgian lambic funk; and this is just was not fulfilling in any of those categories. I wanted a desert beer, but this is sooo sweet.

Smells very sweet and cherry-like.

Taste lack that tartness/sour goodness/delicious funk that I was looking for. Really nothing to balance out the sweetness. It tasted like if you fermented cherry robitussin, this is probably the beverage you would end up with. Thick, syrupy, and unnatural tasting. Overly cherry to the point that I question if real cherries were even used in the brewing of this beer. Like cherry flavored candy, or cherry coca-cola. Not impressed.

I drank the whole thing, but not what I expected in a Belgian Kriek Lambic style. To each their own, I won't be ordering this one again.

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

250ml bottle into flute.

A: Pours a dark ruby violet with a fizzy pink head that reduced into a bubbly collar around the glass.
S: Smells of ripe black cherries with just a touch of sourness.
T: Initial taste is fruity sweet cherries that then get overpowered by sour and bitter unripened fruit notes, finishing with a kind of tart apple and cherry syrup aftertaste.
M: Body is medium and on the syrupy side. Carbonation hits the palate light and fizzy but finishes flat and syrupy. Aftertaste isn't too sour but it still makes you pucker.
D: Not my favorite but quite refreshing. A tad on the sweet side but I'm no expert in the style. I feel it could use some more carbonation as well. However, I am definitely not opposed to trying the other flavors from this brewery.

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

250 mL bottle tried 30 Jan 2010.

A large tight muave head fills much of the 512 One snifter. Lightly carbonated. Clear deep merlot garnet color. Smiles like a dusty Luden's with some ethanol. Sweet tart, juicy, very cherry. Tangy puckery aftertaste. Touch of ethanol shows up in the finish. Medium light body.

Definitely on the sweeter side for a lambic.

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: poured a cherry juice red with a half finger pink head that left pretty good sticky lacing.

s: lots of tart cherries up front with slight oaky notes and kinda get a whiff of honey in there too.

T: nice sour cherry sting on the jaw and I'am getting some honey flavor in the mix like the nose.

M: meduim body with just enough bubbly carbonation to propel the flavor a bit more.

D: Sours are some of my favorite beers and this one was not a dissapointment. I've had this a couple times and always comes thru for me.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a dark pink.

Taste and aroma were both strong cherry. Very sweet and I'd say flirting with the border of a wine cooler. Very refreshing. Wife enjoyed it very much if that tells you anything.

Will most likely purchase again so the wife wont be so mad when I buy a hundred bucks worth of beer in a single trip.

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Reviewed from my notes. I approached this beer not as a competitor to the great lambics and sour beers of Belgium, but as a tart fruit beer. Perhaps that was incorrect, as the generally lower scores it has from other reviewers appear to compare it to the beers of Cantillon and similar breweries. I give it high rankings because see it as an exception fruit beer. I think of it as a lambic-with-training-wheels. It bridges the gap between normal fruit beers, like #9 or a raspberry UFO and the true lambics.

It's a ruby colored beer with some slight brown tones. There is the slightest skim of foam on top and a little bit of coating of the sides of the glass. It is a strong sugary, fruit aroma. It smells like a Jolly Rancher or a child's cough medicine. The flavor is full of puckering cherry tastes. It is also sweet and juice-like. It has a very light body and equally low carbonation. There is a very tight puckering quality. I don't come across many beers that offer up such an involuntary physical reaction. Despite this, I find this beer to be very drinkable. I feels like a glass of juice, albeit a very tart juice. I would drink a lot of this beer, except I like the aforementioned lambics more. It's a great gateway beer to bigger and better sour fruit beers.

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

This was a good Lambic beer. I am not to fond of cherry flavored lambics, I prefer Framboise, but this was good. I poured this into a nice chalice, and it was a nice ruby red color. Its smell was of tart deliciousness and cherry slumber. I drank it, and it was tart, and sweet. I wish it had a little more carbonation to it though. I then tried this out of a Champagne Flute Glass, AWESOME!!!!

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

a: poured into a chalice. deep ruby, hazy color with a huge 4+ finger head (overflow)...kind of screwed up the pour on this one but, it still looks good nonetheless.

s: nice fruity aroma. sour, tart cherries all over the place. not bad, but it isn't the best nose ever...maybe my nose is stuffed

t: great tart flavor. i'm really glad it isn't one of the sweet faux-lambics of Lindemans. tart cherries, great sour flavor here...almost reminds me of a oud bruin with cherries.

m&d: nice creamy mouthfeel. drinkability is good.

an upper-class cherry lambic. give it a try.

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from 8.4oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: very reddish-hued amber color with a thin layer of light salmon-colored head. Not too bad, though a bit artificial-seeming.

Smell: very sweet cherry aroma with a hint of tartness. Pretty good; about what I'm looking for in a cherry lambic.

Taste: cherry flavor is at the forefront but not quite as intense as I would have guessed. There is a very nice tartness to this beer that works well with the cherries. Simple, but tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with nice carbonation. Creamy enough.

Drinkability: a yummy treat. A bit too sweet and tart to just down a case of, but still very tasty.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured ½ an 8.4 oz. bottle into a flute. Formed a fluffy 2 finger pink head that had some major lasting power! Pink tinted foam laced the sides of the glass upon dissipation. The body is the color of melted rubies...translucent and uniform.

Cherries and more cherries on the nose! Candy like...you can almost detect both a sweet and sour smell.

Like the aroma...sweet and sour all at once. Cherries galore! Finishes with a nice tart wash...like melted candy.

Medium mouth feel...dry with good carbonation.

Very drinkable...maybe a little too tart for multi glass consumption, but tasty and refreshing!

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Dark cherry red, clear, and no head retention. Pleasing tart cherry aroma. Flavor is initially bready sweet then lots of tart cherry blasts in. Tight carbonation and a medium body. Not especially complex in the wild yeast way, but it's still tasty and enjoyable.

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

I never heard of this lambic before so I ordered it on a whim that I might have found something good. It was kind of a let down though.

The color is a very bright cherry red with a white head. It smelled like red Jell-O. That basically turned me off from it right there. I was about to just pass it on to someone else at the table without even tasting it.

I took a sip and it was pretty sweet with a slightly tart finish to it that I liked a little. The Jell-O smell carried over into the taste as well. It really drank quite well for such a sweet lambic though. After I finished it, I didn't feel like I just guzzled a glass of grenadine.

It was okay to try for a sweet lambic but I wouldn't have it again.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Found a 7 oz. bottle of this at Holiday Wine Cellar. Happy to try a kriek I have never had, though I still have no idea why the bottle is so tiny.

Pours dark crimson, two fingers of reddish tan light tan head. Fair retention and lace. Smells like cherry candies, maybe Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops. Some tart smell, lightly herbal or earthy. Tastes like sweet cherries, slightly medicinal ala cough syrup. Finish is both tart and sweet. Light bodied with a full carbonation, but not quite as effervescent as it could be.

Yes, this is a sweet fruit lambic, it has a little bit more than that going on though. If you hate sweet beers, obviously you should avoid this type of beer. Otherwise, it is not perfect but I find it to be pretty tasty and would have preferred a much larger bottle of it.

1.1/5  rDev -69.4%

Pours a cherry-juice pinkish red with almost no head. Smells strongly of artificial cherry, very reminiscent of Jell-O. The taste is overwhelmingly sweet, simple, and cloying. The lack of yeast flavor, dryness, and the thick sugary mouthfeel make this much more like a syrup than a lambic.

A mild tartness is noticeable in the aftertaste, but that does not do much to help balance this beer. There is no parallel between Brouwerij Van Steenberge "Kriek Lambic" and a traditional kriek, and fans of Belgian lambics would do well to look elsewhere.

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Feelin' fruity? I am! Weee!!!
This is my first true lambic. I apologize if this review isn't up to snuff.

Poured into a flute.

Appearance: Ok, right off the bat this thing is trying gush. I tried avoiding it by slowly releasing pressure with little bends of the cap, but after several minutes bit the bullet and pried the damn thing off. Surprisingly, no overflow. Goddamnit! Spoke too soon! Even a gentle pour of only an ounce or two sent fizzy head gushing out the top of the glass! I tried sucking it off to prevent spilling and then just ended up coughing it out all over the table. Fuck! Ass! Head has dropped a bit; I'm gonna try this again. Pouring as carefully as possible, I'm able to get about half of this flute filled with liquid (the other half is all head). Sounds like there are Pop Rocks in my beer. Body is a bright, hazy, red with orange highlights. The interior boasts ferocious carbonation. Head is pinkish white, tall, loose, and soft - like champagne. Head sticks to the glass a bit, but I'm not sure if that's really noteworthy.

Smell: Hard to get a whole lot through the massive head, but I do get a good amount of sour yeast (again champagne-like) and sweet cherries. Is there really much else to be had?

Taste: Loads of sweet and sour cherries up front, followed by an abrupt transition to bland malted barley. I really like the beginning; the finish is definitely lacking. Some yeast strain in the middle, and maybe some spice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light and sugary, similar to a soda but with some light creaminess. Carbonation doesn't attack the palate like I had feared. Pretty lousy mouth-coating and a bit of a fuzzy feel from the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the most annoying drink ever. Each pour nets about two ounces of liquid and 3oz of long-lasting foam. I could've finished this ten minutes ago and been on my merry way to another beer, but nooo. Anyhoo, this just didn't do it for me. I may like lambics in the future, but for right now they just aren't my thang.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured this into my lindemens flute. Started turning to foam immediately. Wasted half the bottle even after I poured it nice and slowly. It would not stop foaming. Looks good though besides the foaming part.

Smells like funky bret and a little cherries but not alot

Tastes a little funkier than I expected. Alot of bret sourness with a good amount of cheries. Pretty good though.

Mouthfeel is a little high on the carbonation.

Drinkability is good. Think I would like to try something new instead though

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 10/3/08. Bottle, labeled Cherish Kriek. Pours a dirty brown red with a huge, thick, foamy light pink head. Aroma of sour cherries and a little funk. Flavor of sweet cherry with a nice tartness. Body is a little weaker than I'd prefer, but this is a nice cherry lambic.
7/4/8/3/15 (3.7/5)

Cherish Kriek Lambic from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.