Cherish Kriek Lambic - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Cherish Kriek LambicCherish Kriek Lambic

good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-22-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
mdfb79

3.78/5  rDev +5%

Poured from an 8.4 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a deep ruby red color with an inch of red head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sweet cherries, dark fruits, and maybe a hint of sour cherry.

t - Tastes of sweet dark fruits, especially cherries. A little bit too sweet for me but still pretty good.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A nice, very easy to drink lambic. A little too sweet for me in the taste, but good none the less. Would try again.

08-04-2010 01:14:54 | More by mdfb79
rhoadsrage

3.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(Served in a flute)
A- The deep red body has a slight denseness to it with a big bubble carbonation supporting a foam of bright pink that fades to a cobweb lace soon after the first sip.
S- The syrupy bold cherry aroma has real fruit qualities and a slight sweetness with dark cherry finish.
T- The full cherry syrup is not really sweet but is strong. There is a slight cola and dark nougat flavor in the finish. The cherry flavor hangs on the tongue after each sip.
M- The medium-light mouthfeel has a fizzy finish with no alcohol heat.
D- This is a nice full cherry soda for a novelty but I couldn't handle more than one. I would classify this as a cherry alco-pop but not a lambic.

07-26-2010 18:36:18 | More by rhoadsrage
chickenandrice

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

We are trying another lambic! Really enjoy the contrast of the sweet and sour notes.

A: Good rich reddish brown color. No head with little spots of lacing.

S: The sourness comes out even in smelling, the Kreik of course gives a good sweet cherry smell with a hint of malt.

T: More sour then some, lite notes of cherry - unexpectedly, and a sweet finish.

M: Very dry, sits well in the mouth and has a bit during the finish.

Overall we are still in love with lambics, this one is not however a top competitor in our view. The contrast of this to others, it seems that something is missing. Maybe the bacteria cultures here are not at the same level as most.

07-25-2010 03:46:02 | More by chickenandrice
mlazzaro

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

On tap at the Gulu Gulu Bar in downtown Salem MA. USA.
Served on draft with proper glassware.

I love krieks, sours, and Belgian lambic funk; and this is just was not fulfilling in any of those categories. I wanted a desert beer, but this is sooo sweet.

Smells very sweet and cherry-like.

Taste lack that tartness/sour goodness/delicious funk that I was looking for. Really nothing to balance out the sweetness. It tasted like if you fermented cherry robitussin, this is probably the beverage you would end up with. Thick, syrupy, and unnatural tasting. Overly cherry to the point that I question if real cherries were even used in the brewing of this beer. Like cherry flavored candy, or cherry coca-cola. Not impressed.

I drank the whole thing, but not what I expected in a Belgian Kriek Lambic style. To each their own, I won't be ordering this one again.

07-11-2010 17:35:36 | More by mlazzaro
scottfrie

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

250ml bottle into flute.

A: Pours a dark ruby violet with a fizzy pink head that reduced into a bubbly collar around the glass.
S: Smells of ripe black cherries with just a touch of sourness.
T: Initial taste is fruity sweet cherries that then get overpowered by sour and bitter unripened fruit notes, finishing with a kind of tart apple and cherry syrup aftertaste.
M: Body is medium and on the syrupy side. Carbonation hits the palate light and fizzy but finishes flat and syrupy. Aftertaste isn't too sour but it still makes you pucker.
D: Not my favorite but quite refreshing. A tad on the sweet side but I'm no expert in the style. I feel it could use some more carbonation as well. However, I am definitely not opposed to trying the other flavors from this brewery.

06-09-2010 00:37:53 | More by scottfrie
htomsirveaux

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

250 mL bottle tried 30 Jan 2010.

A large tight muave head fills much of the 512 One snifter. Lightly carbonated. Clear deep merlot garnet color. Smiles like a dusty Luden's with some ethanol. Sweet tart, juicy, very cherry. Tangy puckery aftertaste. Touch of ethanol shows up in the finish. Medium light body.

Definitely on the sweeter side for a lambic.

05-20-2010 03:37:38 | More by htomsirveaux
Gobzilla

3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

A: poured a cherry juice red with a half finger pink head that left pretty good sticky lacing.

s: lots of tart cherries up front with slight oaky notes and kinda get a whiff of honey in there too.

T: nice sour cherry sting on the jaw and I'am getting some honey flavor in the mix like the nose.

M: meduim body with just enough bubbly carbonation to propel the flavor a bit more.

D: Sours are some of my favorite beers and this one was not a dissapointment. I've had this a couple times and always comes thru for me.

05-14-2010 07:07:01 | More by Gobzilla
pwoody11

Delaware

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a dark pink.

Taste and aroma were both strong cherry. Very sweet and I'd say flirting with the border of a wine cooler. Very refreshing. Wife enjoyed it very much if that tells you anything.

Will most likely purchase again so the wife wont be so mad when I buy a hundred bucks worth of beer in a single trip.

03-15-2010 18:54:24 | More by pwoody11
ToasterChef

Maine

4.05/5  rDev +12.5%

Reviewed from my notes. I approached this beer not as a competitor to the great lambics and sour beers of Belgium, but as a tart fruit beer. Perhaps that was incorrect, as the generally lower scores it has from other reviewers appear to compare it to the beers of Cantillon and similar breweries. I give it high rankings because see it as an exception fruit beer. I think of it as a lambic-with-training-wheels. It bridges the gap between normal fruit beers, like #9 or a raspberry UFO and the true lambics.

It's a ruby colored beer with some slight brown tones. There is the slightest skim of foam on top and a little bit of coating of the sides of the glass. It is a strong sugary, fruit aroma. It smells like a Jolly Rancher or a child's cough medicine. The flavor is full of puckering cherry tastes. It is also sweet and juice-like. It has a very light body and equally low carbonation. There is a very tight puckering quality. I don't come across many beers that offer up such an involuntary physical reaction. Despite this, I find this beer to be very drinkable. I feels like a glass of juice, albeit a very tart juice. I would drink a lot of this beer, except I like the aforementioned lambics more. It's a great gateway beer to bigger and better sour fruit beers.

03-04-2010 13:52:08 | More by ToasterChef
StevenBilodeau

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -8.3%

This was a good Lambic beer. I am not to fond of cherry flavored lambics, I prefer Framboise, but this was good. I poured this into a nice chalice, and it was a nice ruby red color. Its smell was of tart deliciousness and cherry slumber. I drank it, and it was tart, and sweet. I wish it had a little more carbonation to it though. I then tried this out of a Champagne Flute Glass, AWESOME!!!!

02-06-2010 04:59:45 | More by StevenBilodeau
tzieser

Arizona

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

a: poured into a chalice. deep ruby, hazy color with a huge 4+ finger head (overflow)...kind of screwed up the pour on this one but, it still looks good nonetheless.

s: nice fruity aroma. sour, tart cherries all over the place. not bad, but it isn't the best nose ever...maybe my nose is stuffed

t: great tart flavor. i'm really glad it isn't one of the sweet faux-lambics of Lindemans. tart cherries, great sour flavor here...almost reminds me of a oud bruin with cherries.

m&d: nice creamy mouthfeel. drinkability is good.

an upper-class cherry lambic. give it a try.

02-05-2010 02:51:01 | More by tzieser
flagmantho

Washington

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from 8.4oz bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: very reddish-hued amber color with a thin layer of light salmon-colored head. Not too bad, though a bit artificial-seeming.

Smell: very sweet cherry aroma with a hint of tartness. Pretty good; about what I'm looking for in a cherry lambic.

Taste: cherry flavor is at the forefront but not quite as intense as I would have guessed. There is a very nice tartness to this beer that works well with the cherries. Simple, but tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with nice carbonation. Creamy enough.

Drinkability: a yummy treat. A bit too sweet and tart to just down a case of, but still very tasty.

01-14-2010 04:29:19 | More by flagmantho
mgbickel

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured ½ an 8.4 oz. bottle into a flute. Formed a fluffy 2 finger pink head that had some major lasting power! Pink tinted foam laced the sides of the glass upon dissipation. The body is the color of melted rubies...translucent and uniform.

Cherries and more cherries on the nose! Candy like...you can almost detect both a sweet and sour smell.

Like the aroma...sweet and sour all at once. Cherries galore! Finishes with a nice tart wash...like melted candy.

Medium mouth feel...dry with good carbonation.

Very drinkable...maybe a little too tart for multi glass consumption, but tasty and refreshing!

12-29-2009 17:28:33 | More by mgbickel
JEdmund

Kansas

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Dark cherry red, clear, and no head retention. Pleasing tart cherry aroma. Flavor is initially bready sweet then lots of tart cherry blasts in. Tight carbonation and a medium body. Not especially complex in the wild yeast way, but it's still tasty and enjoyable.

12-27-2009 03:38:21 | More by JEdmund
BearsOnAcid

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

I never heard of this lambic before so I ordered it on a whim that I might have found something good. It was kind of a let down though.

The color is a very bright cherry red with a white head. It smelled like red Jell-O. That basically turned me off from it right there. I was about to just pass it on to someone else at the table without even tasting it.

I took a sip and it was pretty sweet with a slightly tart finish to it that I liked a little. The Jell-O smell carried over into the taste as well. It really drank quite well for such a sweet lambic though. After I finished it, I didn't feel like I just guzzled a glass of grenadine.

It was okay to try for a sweet lambic but I wouldn't have it again.

11-29-2009 18:27:16 | More by BearsOnAcid
vacax

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

Found a 7 oz. bottle of this at Holiday Wine Cellar. Happy to try a kriek I have never had, though I still have no idea why the bottle is so tiny.

Pours dark crimson, two fingers of reddish tan light tan head. Fair retention and lace. Smells like cherry candies, maybe Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops. Some tart smell, lightly herbal or earthy. Tastes like sweet cherries, slightly medicinal ala cough syrup. Finish is both tart and sweet. Light bodied with a full carbonation, but not quite as effervescent as it could be.

Yes, this is a sweet fruit lambic, it has a little bit more than that going on though. If you hate sweet beers, obviously you should avoid this type of beer. Otherwise, it is not perfect but I find it to be pretty tasty and would have preferred a much larger bottle of it.

10-14-2009 23:27:48 | More by vacax
paysse

Washington

1.1/5  rDev -69.4%

Pours a cherry-juice pinkish red with almost no head. Smells strongly of artificial cherry, very reminiscent of Jell-O. The taste is overwhelmingly sweet, simple, and cloying. The lack of yeast flavor, dryness, and the thick sugary mouthfeel make this much more like a syrup than a lambic.

A mild tartness is noticeable in the aftertaste, but that does not do much to help balance this beer. There is no parallel between Brouwerij Van Steenberge "Kriek Lambic" and a traditional kriek, and fans of Belgian lambics would do well to look elsewhere.

07-13-2009 21:52:41 | More by paysse
ThreeWiseMen

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

Feelin' fruity? I am! Weee!!!
This is my first true lambic. I apologize if this review isn't up to snuff.

Poured into a flute.

Appearance: Ok, right off the bat this thing is trying gush. I tried avoiding it by slowly releasing pressure with little bends of the cap, but after several minutes bit the bullet and pried the damn thing off. Surprisingly, no overflow. Goddamnit! Spoke too soon! Even a gentle pour of only an ounce or two sent fizzy head gushing out the top of the glass! I tried sucking it off to prevent spilling and then just ended up coughing it out all over the table. Fuck! Ass! Head has dropped a bit; I'm gonna try this again. Pouring as carefully as possible, I'm able to get about half of this flute filled with liquid (the other half is all head). Sounds like there are Pop Rocks in my beer. Body is a bright, hazy, red with orange highlights. The interior boasts ferocious carbonation. Head is pinkish white, tall, loose, and soft - like champagne. Head sticks to the glass a bit, but I'm not sure if that's really noteworthy.

Smell: Hard to get a whole lot through the massive head, but I do get a good amount of sour yeast (again champagne-like) and sweet cherries. Is there really much else to be had?

Taste: Loads of sweet and sour cherries up front, followed by an abrupt transition to bland malted barley. I really like the beginning; the finish is definitely lacking. Some yeast strain in the middle, and maybe some spice in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light and sugary, similar to a soda but with some light creaminess. Carbonation doesn't attack the palate like I had feared. Pretty lousy mouth-coating and a bit of a fuzzy feel from the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is the most annoying drink ever. Each pour nets about two ounces of liquid and 3oz of long-lasting foam. I could've finished this ten minutes ago and been on my merry way to another beer, but nooo. Anyhoo, this just didn't do it for me. I may like lambics in the future, but for right now they just aren't my thang.

04-17-2009 01:12:24 | More by ThreeWiseMen
PeprSprYoFace

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured this into my lindemens flute. Started turning to foam immediately. Wasted half the bottle even after I poured it nice and slowly. It would not stop foaming. Looks good though besides the foaming part.

Smells like funky bret and a little cherries but not alot

Tastes a little funkier than I expected. Alot of bret sourness with a good amount of cheries. Pretty good though.

Mouthfeel is a little high on the carbonation.

Drinkability is good. Think I would like to try something new instead though

02-06-2009 21:48:08 | More by PeprSprYoFace
LilBeerDoctor

3.6/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed on 10/3/08. Bottle, labeled Cherish Kriek. Pours a dirty brown red with a huge, thick, foamy light pink head. Aroma of sour cherries and a little funk. Flavor of sweet cherry with a nice tartness. Body is a little weaker than I'd prefer, but this is a nice cherry lambic.
7/4/8/3/15 (3.7/5)

12-28-2008 01:46:34 | More by LilBeerDoctor
DoctorDog

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Presentation: 8.4 oz. bottle into a stange. No freshness/best by date indicated.

A- Not the red that I was anticipating, but rather a deep, hazy amber. Full 2 fingers of foamy, pinkish head, that fades slowly to a thin complete cap.

S- Almost spot on for Luden's Wild Cherry cough drops. If you like the way those smell, you'll like this.

T- Sweet and sour cherries. Sweet and sour cherries. Sweet and sour cherries.

M- Crisp, with slightly biting carbonation. Goes down smooth.

D- Interesting desert beer that would probably be great with some chocolate cake. It's an easy enough drinker, though one would be the absolute max, even at the 8.4 oz. size.

Future outlook: I might get this again specifically to pair with chocolate cake.

12-09-2008 19:18:25 | More by DoctorDog
MisterClean

3.8/5  rDev +5.6%

11.2 from Total Wine

A - Pours solid marachino red with a 4-fingered pink head. Carbonation is fairly low, but the head sticks around a while and leaves a generous trail of beautiful lacing. Just beautiful to look at.

S - Lots of candy cherry, some sugary esters, and a slight touch of wheat malts.

T - Cherries, wheat, and spicy hops.

M - Very sweet, yet the balance is good. Slightly thin mouthfeel with low carbonation.

D - Overall good. Not sure I'd purchase again, but definitely would not turn one down if offered with dessert. Would pair well with an Old Rasputin blend.

12-09-2008 05:08:07 | More by MisterClean
Cylinsier

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Off the tap.

Poured smooth with little head, possibly a characteristic of the tap. The head that was there was crystalline white before dissipating. The color was a deep red, as would be expected from this beer. Smelled of cherries and sweet syrup. The taste was of cherries as well, but surprisingly not overly sweet. It was more tart. The mouthfeel was smooth with not very much carbonation, again possibly a characteristic of coming off the tap. Overall drinkability is very good if you are okay with a somewhat sweeter beer with almost no "beer taste" to it. It was very similar to cherry juice like you might find in countries like Turkey, except for the alcohol.

10-21-2008 23:08:29 | More by Cylinsier
LunaChick

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

My first review after 3 weeks of sickness.

Pours a hazy red with a decent head that dissapates after a minute but still laces the glass. The aroma is pungent and almost artificial. Sweet fruity cherries but mixed with an acidic note that reminds me of drink mix. Taste starts sweet cherry but instantly follows up with tart citric acid. I don't get much else as the tart overpoweres what might also be there. Anyone who likes "sweet and sour" would likely enjoy this. Overall an ok lambic. A fair amount of carbonation in the mouth making this relatively easy to drink. In combination with the low abv gives this good drinkability if you like the flavor.
Keeping in mind that my allergies are annoying me and I did just get over being sick for 3 weeks I'll revisit this.

10-18-2008 15:45:39 | More by LunaChick
koopa

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance: murky cherry red with a ridiculous pink head that retains well and leaves plenty of lacing.

Smell: A small amount of citric acid sour bitterness along with some cherry notes and funk. Not as sour as an oud bruin or as funky as a wild ale.

Taste: Dry cherries and sweet sugar are offset with just enough tartness and carbonation to make this a tasty, albeit simple lambic.

Mouthfeel: I like the carbonation and it makes for a smooth mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink for the style. Not too much acid so it doesn't get to your stomach.

Its a shame my local retailer charges $3 for a bottle thats less than 9oz or I'd come back to this more often.

09-23-2008 23:20:17 | More by koopa
Cherish Kriek Lambic from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.