Augustijn Blond - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Augustijn BlondAugustijn Blond

good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: MeisterBurger on 12-01-2009)
2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.4/5  rDev -8.1%

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Purchased as part of a mixed 6pk from the LCBO for $18.00. Pretty good for $3.00/beer. Served at 5deg C in a tulip

A- Opens well and pours a nice head. Go slow pouring Danielson! Dark golden good. Head stays well and to a film for a the remainder of the pour

S- A bit light but yeasty good.

T- Young. Not quite up to snuff in the flavor department. A light Duval

M- Dry as expected.

O- Very good. Nice Belgium blonde. Worth the $3.00 for a 330ml bottle no problem.

Food Pairing

This nice blonde went well with..... cheese and olives. Vary the cheese to get a good punch then mild.

Enjoy!!

2.75/5  rDev -25.7%

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Pour: Snifter or tulip. Tilted glass and finish high to get some head. Unlike Piraat not a lot of head forms from pouring high. Head becomes a thin film. A little yeast left in the bottle.

Color: Gold, crystal clear. It looks like the usual pils you get in any country.

Aroma: Pineapple, peaches, wood, a little hops, a little brandy.

Taste: Similar to aroma. Some pineapple with peaches. Softer than the Piraat. Medium carbonation. Some Sauvignon Blanc-like flavor in front. Middle tastes like a pilsener Urquell. Finish has malt, some alcohol and some bitterness that fades away.

Not in love but I don’t dislike it. I like the fruity aroma but it tastes to much like a white wine or an average pils. At room temp you would think you are drinking a pilsener Urquell. Forgettable.

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Big foam after popping the cork but not a spew. Big clouds of whipped cream head. Clear golden color in the Ommegang chalice. Plenty of sudsy carbonation in the mouth. Light fruity, yeasty aroma with a spicy whiff of lemon cookies.

Flavor starts off with a white cake batter taste. Lots of lemony flavor with the wheaty malt flavor. Tangy fruit notes with a hint of wet cardboard and ginger snaps. A little bit sticky, though the sweet malt is more balanced with the acidity. It really is like a sugary citrus drink, though the bitter yeast flavors are unmistakeably Belgian.

A powerful brew in the grand tradition with all the Belgian characteristics. More of a brew to sip respectfully. It's hard to take too much of this with that cloying cake taste. From the 750 ml bottle purchased at Ibis Market in Mission Hills.

3.3/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Brouwerij Van SteenBerge's Augustijn Blond that came in a mixed Belgian six pack that was given to me as a gift. I'm in the mood for a good Belgian Blonde and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. I couldn't decode the best by date. Poured from a stubby 11.2oz Belgian bottle into a Belgian tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like that it has a monk brewing with a stained glass window in the background, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a very hazy golden orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with three and a half fingers worth of really fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of sticky lacing behind. I thought this was a pretty nice looking beer, but I wish the color was just a little lighter.

S- The aroma starts off with a very high amount of sweetness that has an aroma that's a little similar to candied sugar and it's followed by the Belgian yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a typical Belgian yeast aroma with some fruity. banana, and spicy clove like aromas coming through. Up next comes the malts that impart lots of sweet malt aromas with some caramel, toffee and a little more fruity aromas with a little bit of dark fruits showing up in the background. Towards the end there was a light sweet alcohol aroma. This beer had a pretty nice aroma and it seemed to be fairly balanced.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that still has the Belgian candied sugar aspect and it's followed by the Belgian yeast still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that I got in the aroma. Up next comes the malts that imparts the same aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time the caramel aspect seems to stick out the most with a little bit of toffee in the background and it blends into some dark fruit flavors that have more of a raisin aspect to them this time around. On the finish comes a pretty light boozy flavor with some more sweetness and sweetness and the watery finish really held back the taste.a watery. caramel. and raisin like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but the

M- Not the smoothest, very crisp, pretty prickly, medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, I know these beers should have some higher carbonation, but this one was too prickly for me.

Overall I thought this beer was ok at best and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, it didn't really have an aspect that set it apart from all the other average Belgian Blonde Ales and there wasn't any aspect about it that I thought was really well done. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't that smooth, very crisp, pretty prickly, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my interest, one is more than enough for me, I figured that out before I got half way through the bottle, the sweetness and super high carbonation would prevent me from even thinking about drinking another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they seemed to be the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the high amount of carbonation, they both need to be toned down a good amount. I wouldn't buy this beer and I wouldn't recommend it either, it's not hard to find a much better Belgian Blonde Ale. All in all I wasn't impressed with this one, it just didn't have what it takes to be a great example of the style and It was hard for me to get over how prickly it was. I think this is now one of my least favorite Belgian Blonde Ales. Piraat is still my favorite beer from this brewery and this now my least favorite. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

Augustijn Blond from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.