Atomium Grand Cru - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Atomium Grand CruAtomium Grand Cru

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAngel on 03-14-2003)

2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured into a pint glass. Hyper carbonation, it took quite a few minutes to mellow enough to even have a chance to drink. Clear yellow, orange. Head is over sized and bright white in color. As the freaked out head laid down it actually left a decent lace.

Smell is musty and sour. Not my style!! But I was given this as a sample by Bill at my local bottle shop so I must forge forward!!

Taste is really sour. Belgian yeast is super prevalent. I could concede to the beer Savant's that tell me this style is good. But I would be lying. I can't stand or don't ever see me saying this is a good style of beer. Josssmith, my tasting partner describes the taste as a sweaty gym sock stuffed down his throat! I tend to agree!

Mouth is uhmmmm... I am done with this beer and don't want to spend any more of my energy describing it to you.

Overall, this brew might be great to the Belgian and Sour lovers of the world. I thought it was terrible.

2.98/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What is a grand cru? I need to do some research, but soldiering on...

light orange and yeast-textured. Giant white, foamy head (mine was kinda cold in the beginning).

Bananas with a sweet alcohol aroma up front. Hint of apple juicy sweetness. The bitter, heavy yeast aroma is also quite strong.

Moderately bitter with an alcoholic grainy body. A sour, dry finish plants. Interesting with this brew, as it warms it becomes more bitter which overpowers the sweeter notes and takes away from the complexity of the brew.

The mouthfeel begins well enough, but with the previously mentioned giant head the lack of carbonation brings out the bitter which isn't so good as we remember from the taste portion of this review.

Overall its not too bad and you really can't taste the alcohol, well not true. You do taste it but since its from multiple grains and reflects that in the taste which becomes a part of the beer and is flatter than the taste of most alcohol. Still, there are many strong Belgium ales that do this better and actually improve with warming opposed to losing flavor. Meh.

On tap at Maduro. $3 for a massive Chalice. I hear there are 6 grains in here….interesting…

I immediately notice how fast the head dissipates and that the beer appears to be flat. This is somewhat misleading as there are plenty of minute, champagne like bubbles in there. They are just difficult to see. Unfortunately this will play out later giving the mouthfeel a deceptively flattish and overly light body. It’s not flat really just dead feeling. Head is initially two fingers thick but it disperses and shrinks to nothing quickly, no lace, no clinging, nada. The aroma is spicy and confused: fruity esters, bananas, coriander, pepper, powdery yeast, and honey. The flavor is dominated by yeast and booze. Very dry feel from the yeast. Granny smith apples and grapes, peaches and pineapple in the flavor. Muddled. Drinkability is low. I don’t find this beer cohesive and remember it being much better in the bottle.

3.03/5  rDev -20.7%

This beer was difficult to review, as it's nowhere near my favorite style, and it's hard to keep in mind that I'm reviewing it versus others of the style.

On the pour into my pint glass, this beer produced a prodigious, six finger head, nearly filling the glass with foam. As it subsided, it got somewhat rocky, and it was a while before I was able to get the whole 11.2 bottle into my pint glass. The body was a deep yellow, with a slight haze.

Aroma was primarily doughy and yeasty, with a bit of spiciness prominent as well. As it warmed, I was able to pick up notes of fresh white bread.

Taste was spicy and peppery at first, with hints of esteriness. The yeast was profoundly noticeable.

Mouthfeel was highly carbonated, with an average body to it. However, the flavors sort of faded quickly on the aftertaste, which left me with an impression of it having been thin, even though I know it was not.

Drinkability is staggeringly average. I was not impressed enough to have it again, and I agree with the impression some people gave that this is a watered down tripel. Not quite sweet enough for that, in my opinion, but the other qualities were right in line. Didn't give me the slightest hint of a buzz, either, and I drank it rather quickly. I do believe that my next beer tonight will have to be a darker one to make up for it. That leaves Fruli and Cerise out of the running.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Appearance: hazy, golden, with a medium head/medium carbonation

Smell: bread, yeast, belgian spices

Taste: It mimics the smell.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated, although it is smooth..slightly sour

Drinkability: This was probably my least favorite offering at the bar that I was tasting. To me this tasted like a slightly more complex and carbonated Blue Moon...I have had better and will not be trying this one again.

3.1/5  rDev -18.8%

Looks good....a hazy gold with a brown hue. Good cling and a beautiful 4 finger head when a poured it

It smelled spicy with some hints of wheat and bread. Tasted spicy, with a sour apple/sour hop aftertaste that befits a strong belgian pale ale....one thing that bugs me is that the taste is kinda thin. this beer would benefit from a more full flavor. It feels kinda dull and flat.

This beer overall was a bit dissapointing. A medicore stab at a belgian

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Appearance - Pours a dark honey/amber color with 4 inches of fluffy foam.. I had to keep stopping and waiting to get the whole beer in the glass. Takes at least a good 5 minutes to dissipate. Lacing is great though.

Smell - Coriander is the most dominant aroma here.. followed by some clove, honey, pale malts, and yeast.

Taste - Strong flavor of honey, along with coriander, clove, white peppercorns, yeast, and a mild alcohol bite at the end. Way too sweet of a beer, with just minimum bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Heavy body with medium carbonation.

Overall - If you don't mind how sweet it is then you have yourself a pretty good beer. It's almost like drinking honey. Tastes very similar to Beerhive Tripel by New Holland Brewing Company.

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a big, rocky head that is most impressive and leaves plenty of lace

Smell: Bready and yeasty, with undertones of pear and fusel alcohol

Taste: Interesting malt flavors throughout, with the bready wheat and banana joined by a sweet, candi sugar aspect that turns a bit spicy, by mid-palate; after the swallow, the sweetness and the alcohol overwhelm the profile

Mouthfeel: Medium body with high carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Drinkability: Ultimately, just a bit too sweet and alcoholic for my palate

3.18/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a stubby, the beer is cloudy (even after a few weeks in a fridge upright) and deep straw gold, with amber highlights. The head is big and coarse and just off white, and very persistent. Swirl it, and you will get a big head over and over.

The aroma is fresh and fruity, with big banana, and apple and strawberry in support. There is vanilla, and fresh white bread with just a touch of toast. The hop aroma is barely perceptible. It is sweet with a honey like floral impression.

It starts with a low maltiness that passes to a low to moderate bitterness. It is very spicy and warming, maybe even hot, at the swallow. It is very dry all the way through, but there is a low to moderate malty sweetness that lingers with the spicy dryness. The swallow is, as I said, warm and fairly dry, but there is a lingering bitterness and maltiness that gives it a fuller, more moderate impression.

The carbonation is big - both fluffy and spritzy. Along with the moderate body, the result is a fluffy round mouthfeel that is relatively full for a strong belgian, but by no means coating or lingering. It is, however, somewhat hot and even solventy at the swallow.

I feel like this is a perfect recipe - I love the clean malt and bittering. But the fermentation is questionable. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and question its trip from Belgium to my door as the culprit, but I note a distinct lack of Belgian phenolic aromas, and a distinct harshness at the swallow. This is total speculation, but, with that, combined with the cloudiness despite cold conditioning, I feel like it seems familiar. I have had an experience or two like this as a brewer. This seems like a beer that aged too long before bottling, and then was bottle conditioned at a too warm temperature to compensate for tired yeast. (Sorry for the shameless speculation).

I would give it another try, but this sample was not that exciting.

3.2/5  rDev -16.2%

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

Best by: 09/20/08

A: A mountain of spongy and porous froth fills the glass with a fizz. A clear, bright golden hue. It's gonna take a while before I can drink this. Tons of sustain and lacing.

S: Smells sweet with aromas of honey, tropical fruits, and a slight Belgian spiciness.

T: Sweet and malty with a prominent hop character. The flavor is fleet and is replaced with a soapy character that is a bit unpleasant.

M: Light in body with tons of carbonation. Dry and soapy texture.

D: My initial impression of this beer was very good, but the harshness of the finish and mouthfeel make this one a bit hard to drink. I'll pass next time.

3.24/5  rDev -15.2%

3.28/5  rDev -14.1%

Served at cellar temp from a 12 oz amber stubby into a 10 oz pilsner glass.

First attempt at a pour was all foam. 100% head, no beer.

Let it stand five minutes and tried again. Excellent pour of slightly cloudy (or heavily hazy) bright straw yellow. Erupting from the bottom of the glass--an undersea volcano of bubbles twisting into a reverse whirlpool, forming a slowly growing billowy, rock hard head of stark white foam.

Spicy aroma subdued because of the humongous head.

Slightly sour and spicy flavor; slightly bready, complex.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, very low bitterness, effervescent from the extreme carbonation.

Technically a good beer when grading it piecewise, but not really refreshing or enjoyable overall, hence the surprisingly low drinkability. I had a second, but wouldn't buy it again.

Atomium Grand Cru from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.