2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bornem Double - Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.

Bornem Double
No picture uploaded.
good

Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V. visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: johnmichaelsen on 07-09-2012)
View: Beers (74) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 29 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
NEdward

Rhode Island

3.28/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: head is thick but light, a faint dirty grey ("winter white"), lacing seems to become more lasting as the beer settles down (and by that time it's considerable).

S: fructose sweetness, berries, floral scotch.

T: not much happening here; medicinal sweets, raisins, sour aftertaste.

M: syrupy yet distinctly watery.

O: not bad, didn't like it as much as the triple Bornem puts out but from my experience with Belgium beers I suspect that has to do more with the style than anything else.

01-11-2014 02:15:06 | More by NEdward
BeerDocT

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This was my first dubble, purchased as part of a Van Steenberge sample pack that also introduced me to my great love in the land of beers, Piraat. Forgive me if I am a bit weepy and easily impressed in the presence of this old friend.

Appearance 3.75: Poured out a dark, chestnut brown. Smallish head (1/4") quickly faded into a small amount of foam on top. Nice lacing.

Smell 4.0: Subdued bouquet, but what is there is very nice indeed: toffee, roasted grains and a very slight hint of spicy Belgian yeast.

Taste 4.25: Front is somewhat dry, with some very pleasant sweetness sneaking in around the edges. Middle is full and lush with a big wave of treacly sweet malt along with a cloying, barely noticeable taste of smoky grains. Finish is pleasant and malty along with a slight hint of noble hops and a brief hint of an interesting tanin flavor, like that of a deep red wine. Aftertaste is of medium length and features another taste of the tanins, the hops and the barley malt.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Somewhat watery in the front of the palate, but this definitely matches the style and adds to the overall refreshing characteristics of this brew.

Overall 4.0: Excellent beer. Great example of the style and a wonderfully balanced and refreshing beer given its huge (8%) ABV. A favorite of mine and it was a pleasure to sample it again. Recommended.

01-10-2014 04:52:54 | More by BeerDocT
LightnerLiquorKS

Kansas

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This one is interesting. I actually rated the Bornem "dubbel" before realizing that this is a newer addition from Van Steenberge. It is Bornem "Double" Abbey Ale. I came across this in a mix-six pack of Van Steenberge Ales, which features Gulden Draak, Bornem, Piraat and their cousins.

Appearance: A dark brown with a non-frothy head. Approx. 1/2 inch of head total after the pour and it is very fine. The bubbles are very small and eventually dissipate to about 1 cm. for the rest of the experience. They are intriguing as you give the glass a swirl and notice that the fine bubbles roll down from the side of the glass back down to the top of the head. A beautiful appearance.

Smell: A detection of a classic Abbey, with slight aromas of coffee and milk chocolate. Brown sugar and sweet chocolate are also detectable by the nose. Very delightful.

Taste: The first impression is coffee, then chocolate, finishing with a thick candy flavor! I can't remember what kind of candy this reminds me of -- malted chocolate would be the closest example I could give! Delicious and mild. At the end of the glass, the small amount of head remains, greedily, I put the glass vertical to my mouth and let it in, the flavors roll back at you as if you were drinking the ale itself!

Mouthfeel: Absolute silk! It is so delectably soft and melts away when swallowed.

Overall: This ale is absolutely underrated (literally) because I don't know if people know it is out there! It is a must try for any Belgian-Dark lover. The abv comes in at 8% and I detected absolutely nothing! It is beautifully wrapped and presented. It is a beer worth trying and savoring. I have reviewed a lot of beers from memory. From now on I will be doing full mark-ups on special ales like this one. I will only do it when my pallet is cleansed and I have not had any alcohol prior! Anyways, get out to the pub or store and find this one!

10-26-2013 11:26:55 | More by LightnerLiquorKS
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +19.1%

I ran a google search on this beer, and apparently it is a completely new beer (not to be confused with the Bornem dubbel). The site I found indicated that it is a double Abbey Ale, noting that it can be aged like wine.

On tap at Max's last night.

The beer pours a fairly dark brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this is just a thing of beauty, as I get considerable milk chocolate, vanilla and brown sugar, with considerable underlying spice. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this moderately sweet, tasty beer, except I also pick up some malt balls and milk dud flavor as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a fairly long, chocolate and spice filled finish. Alcohol is beautifully integrated into the flavor profile, and there's not even a hint of heat on the finish.

This is absolutely deliciuos.... hope to see it again sometime.

07-09-2012 14:14:02 | More by johnmichaelsen
Bornem Double from Brouwerij Van Steenberge N.V.