Framdizzle - Thirsty Pagan Brewing

pDev: 0%
Thirsty Pagan Brewing visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: dc55110 on 06-25-2012)
Reviews by dc55110:
3.38/5  rDev 0%

Stopped by Thirsty Pagan on the way back from Duluth to the Twin Cities (avoiding lakes traffic on a Sunday via Wisconsin) for lunch. Taking a quick look at the tap list, I was instantly drawn to this one:
"Framdizzle - We first took a strong wheat ale, and fermented it, then aged it with a souring agent in a merlot barrel with 100lbs of raspberries. All to give you this beautiful, bright, refreshing sour ale. 7.0% ABV

It arrives in a 10oz snifter, the content is a ruby-red opaque liquid, not all that different from grapefruit juice. A light ring of fizzy bubbles form around the circumference of the glass. It is quite the site. The nose is instantly recognizable, Framboise! Not the overly sweet kind, but a great funk filled one. Fresh raspberries on top of a great earthy bed.

It greets the tongue with a big splash of fresh raspberry, followed by a quick puckering sour flash. The raspberry lingers for moment as the sour bite passes, hits of the tannins imparted by the wine and barrel follow, but as they disappear down the back of my mouth, they are replaced by a odd nutty presence. Very caught off guard by this off flavor, I attempt a few follow up sips, then I wait for the glass and its contents to warm up a bit to see if the results change... Raspberry, SOUR, raspberry... Walnuts? My wife also has a perplexed look upon her face. I ask what she thinks? "Walnuts! Why am I getting walnuts on the finish?"

On the tongue it dances and tingles just the way it should. The carbonation is spot on. Even with the dense raspberry flavor, it is not at all syrupy. The body is exactly what it should be.

I was so excited about this one as it approached my table, my excitement grew as I stuck my schnoz in the glass, a huge smile grew to "ear to ear proportions" as I first tasted it... Everything came to a screeching halt when the uninvited guest showed up. Paully Walnuts! I don't know what was causing the off flavor, but it took what was nearly a very remarkable beer, to another on of the hundreds that miss the mark.

dc55110, Jun 25, 2012
Framdizzle from Thirsty Pagan Brewing
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.