Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Oatmeal Stout - Gray's Brewing Company

Oatmeal Stout |  5.21% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-06-2002

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

One of my all-time favorites...haven't had this in a couple years now...midnight black with a small tan lace...great nose...sweet milk chocolate...some java tones...some roasted malts...a little thin in the mouth...not as a rich as I remember...nice burnt malt taste...not as much of a creamy texture as I remembered....not as good as I remembered but still solid....a pretty dry finish....I'm a bit disappointed as I came into this review expected to put this in the high 4's, but it is not that good...still it is worth trying if you see it.

4.23/5  rDev +17.5%

The beer is nearly black and has a creamy medium brown head. Lacing effect is nice. Deep roasted malt and mocha on the nose. Mouthfeel is pure silk. Very creamy. On the buds, there are some nice mocha and chocolate notes. Not overbearing at all on the palate. Could actually use a little more burnt quality to it. However, it is a very drinkable oatmeal stout.

This was the first oatmeal stout I ever tried (about 8 years ago) and it is still one of my favorites.

4.04/5  rDev +12.2%

Mild yet characteristic malt aroma for style. Head is rather thin, and doesn't sustain very long. Coal black. First thing I noted is that if feels rather thin for style. It has an overall roasted quality and a bit of an oily feel. Flavor is rich and feels like a whole mouth experience. Fairly complex taste with the malt, yet noticable dryness and bitterness of the hops, which keeps it from being too sweet. I had a 6-pack a couple of years ago and thought it was the best oatmeal stout I'd ever had. Either my tastes have changed or this is different than those, because this is a very good, but not a great beer.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last