Witbier - Gray's Brewing Company

Gray's Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

Witbier |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-15-2002)
Reviews by ethosx19:
ethosx19

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pale gold color, large head, orange/spice aroma. Taste is very crisp and refreshing. Sweet orange and coriander? are the strongest flavors. I need to find out for sure what coriander tastes like one of these days. This is a great beer and deserves more reviews.

12-27-2002 13:22:38 | More by ethosx19
cokes

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

A very solid witbier.
Hazy, straw colored body. Whipping cream head last the entire duration.
Nose is of orange/lemon and spice per the style. Some nice malty smells linger in the background.
Taste begins with some big spice notes. Coriander, vanilla, clove and pepper. Orange peel is evident. Malts enter next, laying down a soild foundation. Sweet and just a touch doughy. Finishes with some yeast spiciness, with one final blast of pepper. Slightly sour aftertaste, otherwise very clean.
Light bodied, but firm and lively in the mouth.
Totally quenching.
Like ZAP stated previously, this is a great summer beer.

07-24-2002 13:33:51 | More by cokes
moulefrite

4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

A super refreshing, dryer style of wheat beer, not too different than the Great Lakes "Holy Moses", yet not quite as tasty. This beer seemed to be missing something, and I am hard pressed to say just what. It just seemed a bit laking mid-palate??? The biggest beef I had about this fine product is that it had virtually no head when poured into a glass (maybe because I poured it into my special Great Lakes Wheat beer glass, and it felt intimidated?)After a long, delicious weekend af sampling wheat beers. One of the things I found I really enjoyed was the big creamy, mountainess, snow white heads that often accompanied these beers-especially the German wheats. So this was a let down for me. However, the color was pleasantly cloudy and the flavors were just right for the style. Try it if you can find it.

07-10-2003 17:32:30 | More by moulefrite
brakspear

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

This domestic wit-style beer is a very light and tasty beer, perhaps best appreciated in the summer months.

It pours a hazy gold body with an explosive and soft head, the wheat present in this beer is very evident right away.

The aroma is a sour blend of wheat, coriander, and orange peel on top of a sweet malty base.

The taste begins with a tart sourness, perhaps from the coriander and orange peel, soon followed by a very mallow malty sweetness, finishing with a slight zing. Very smooth and tasty, but perhaps a bit light-bodied.

01-24-2003 19:40:20 | More by brakspear
Ave

Iowa

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

One first pour you are just blown away by the MASSIVE bright white head, one rivaled only by Duvel in my experience. It Initially pours a crystal clear lemon yellow. If you are pouring into a pint you will have to deal with the head before you can get to the sizable yeast cake at the bottom of the bottle. Once that is swirled in, things turn nicely murky, & the yeasty bits clinging to the massive cloud of froth are a welcome site.

I was surprised at how very little aroma there was to this brew considering that its supposedly made with coriander & orange peel. I was expecting a more herbal nose. But there is some, lightly spicy, with a noticeable citrus presence.

The flavor is heavily lemon citrus, light malts & yeast. Just a touch of hop bitter at the end. A very clean, dry, sweet finish.

Rarely have I seen this much yeast in the bottom of my glass. Yum!

I drive through Janesville on my way to the in-laws a few times a year. Looks like I have a new stop to make.

Ave

10-27-2003 02:04:01 | More by Ave
ngandhi

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Gray's Witbier is an overload of Curacao on the tongue. Of course this is a great summer brew -- I, too, love a tall glass of Tropicana under the sun. Still a solid brew and among the better wits I've had, Gray's has a well balanced yeast nose light on phenols and clove. The clove taste marries well with the orange peel and there's a nice kick from the coriander. The yeast is rather neutral for a wheat -- sweet and heavy with clove, yet mild on the phenols and bubblegum -- lending a pleasant breadiness to the beer overall. Noble hop finish tastes pretty authentic, like Hallertau. Thin on body, but still to style, my only serious gripe is the astringency of this beer. In my own efforts to make hefes, I too have encountered a problem with astringency (because wheat helps carbonate like a motherf-), but because this is a spiced beer the astringency is that much worse (imagine, for example, having a sharply carbonated beverage with a spicy South Indian meal).

I've had the pleasure of trying several Gray's brews and they are, on a whole, solid. I think they miss with this specialty style and continue to remind me of a Bell's Brewery in training; they produce solid domestic beers to style with gentle flair, but are just a touch off course on the foreign styles (e.g. Bell's Winter White). As far as wits go, however, Gray's Witbier is probably the best one brewed in the States.

Relax, relax.
ng

10-30-2003 20:37:45 | More by ngandhi
ZAP

4.72/5  rDev +16.3%

A splendid beer....royal gold in color...cloudy as you'd expect but with a puffy soft head....nice aroma...orange is the dominant smell....the taste is top-notch...a huge maltiness for this style accented by thirst quenching citrus accents..this may just be my favorite summer beer of all-time....a summer beer with some character(maltiness) but still thirst quenching...a dandy from this overlooked, under-rated Wisconsin brewery..

07-15-2002 21:48:22 | More by ZAP
Bighuge

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

This hazy pale straw colored brew throws out a nice big head that retains nicely and laces adequately. Aroma is that of lemon, yeast and bits of malt. This wit is also very tasty (as was the Lakefront wit I just had). The spicing in this wit is very noticeable on the palate. Corriander, seems like nutmeg, orange and pepper. Very nice. The maltiness really provides a nice backdrop for spices to do their work. Quaffable and thirst-quenching. Another elite wit in my book. (Just wish I lived in Milwaukee. Would drink many of these 2 wits over the summer months.)

06-15-2002 19:42:28 | More by Bighuge
BeerBelcher

2.3/5  rDev -43.3%

I had this, I believe, at the Benno's craft beer tent at the 2007 Wisconsin State Fair. The tap handle said "Wisco Wheat," and I didn't think enough of it to inquire further.

It was a bit dark in hazy color for a wheat beer, with some inconsistently sized bubbles. Aroma was light and citrusy. Flavor was more orange than other recent wheat beers (Leinie's Sunset Wheat, for example) which are either more berry-ish or citrus-y. That was fine, but I didn't much care for the overly malty flavor of this beer - it really didn't seem to fit for a beer of this style and to be quite honest I struggled a bit to finish it, but given I paid $5.25 for this glass of beer, I was able to get it down.

08-14-2007 01:42:34 | More by BeerBelcher
drizzam

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Comes in a 355 ml bottle with a Grey label containing the picture of Joshua C. Gray.

Pours a cloudy light orange/amber/yellow color (hard to describe right now). Tastes like coriander with an orange zing. Clean, crisp and highly drinkable...especially in hot weather. This is the first Witbier I've experimented to date and I really kinda like it. I will be partaking in this selection in the future!

03-27-2003 16:04:16 | More by drizzam