Chocolate Porter - Legend Brewing Co.

Chocolate PorterChocolate Porter

good

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-23-2003

Porter by standard description is a rich, sweet ale that is not easily seen through. Porter by Legend standards exceeds these parameters slightly. Legend Chocolate Porter takes on a new level of Porterness. We were generous in our additions of dark malts for this brew. These include Caramel and Chocolate malts, as well as our standard “Porter malts”. The addition of natural cocoa extract at filtering time gives this brew a strong choco-nose and a deep lingering Wonkaesque finish. German Tettenang hops are used for a clean balancing bitterness. Expect a dark black beer with a rich and sweet aromatic presence. The flavor is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and more dark chocolate.
Ratings: 97 | Reviews: 62
Reviews by edmedina:
3.87/5  rDev +6.6%

Aroma: Sweet, you can really smell the cocoa in there.
Appearance. very dark, opaque. the head is brown and creamy. I would honestly say reminds me of a Guiness.
Flavor: Ever have some bakers chocolate by itself? That's what this tastes like. It's bitter and sweet. I get hints of roasted malt in there. I get another taste that I am not sure what it could be, molasses maybe?
Mouth feel: Low carbonation. Has some creamy tendencies there. I do almost get a alcoholy after taste but not over powering.
Overall impression: Wow, this is a pleasant surprise really. I wasn't sure what to expect. I like this one simply because it is a nice sipper. Legends has had several beers that are very much surprising and this would be one of them.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

Black in color...over two fingers of tan head with no lacing as it recedes.
Mild aromas...some chocolate, vanilla, and a definite vineous quality.
The taste is not much chocolate...especially for being called a "chocolate" porter and the wine character is more sour as it sits on the pallet. Bitter coffee in the finish with no alcohol detected.
Thin mouthfeel and too much carbonation for my liking.
I am usually very impressed with Legend, but I will not look to come back to this one anytime soon.

2.69/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Opaque blackness. Massively thick tan-colored head quickly dies away to nothing. Sparse lacing (?dirty glass?). Tremendous amounts of butter noted in the aroma, to the point of being overwhelming. Only the tiniest amounts of cocoa powder can penetrate the stick of butter thrust up your nose. Flavor has a very, very raisin-like character. Certainly not what I expected in a chocolate porter. There is also a bit of chocolate and caramel sweetness, but they play only a minor cameo role. Finished much more "fizzy" than expected, with a hint of sourness. Not much chocolate in this porter, but sadly, I've come to not expect much from Legend's beers. Mouthfeel is OK, thought slightly on the thin side. Drinkability suffers from the massive diacetyl aromas and the strong sour-raisin flavors. I'd like to try this in a fresh bottle and see if it's different.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown decent sized caramel tan head leaves minimal lacing as it dwindles. Aroma: Mix of caramel, chocolate, and a touch of rich peanut butter with a coffee edge. Taste: Tart in the forefron with coffee notes and dark chocolate hints pretty sweet but a tart offness in the finish makes me wonder how this classifies as a chocolate porter. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation, nice brew. Drinkability: Not bad lacks true chocolate presence and I notice some flaws like the arbitrary tart character.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Opaque as all hell, black as night. I gave it a virgorous pour, so the head bubbled up nicely, though it faded quickly. Not as much lacing as I would've liked.

Smell: Toasted character of the malts, dark, bitter chocolate, slight bitter coffee, and a subtle sense of lingering hops. I was hoping for more cocoa, but alas it's still pretty good.

Taste: Starts slightly sweet with some dark chocolate, and, ah, now the cocoa, which makes is presence known quite well without being overdone or cloying. The balance of hops is really done quite well, as it's enough to calm down the malts, but at the finish the malty sweetness sits on the tongue, melding fantastically with the hops for a pleasant residual balance.

Mouthfeel: Due to what I think is the cocoa, maybe, the mouthfeel seems to be a bit chalky, but oddly enough it's fitting for my palate, and I think fitting for the beer. Medium body, slightly creamy. A bit odd, though welcoming to me, for a porter I think.

Drinkability: I heard Legend got a new brewmaster, and that may make sense, because the last few brews I've had have been very very good. Maybe it depends on the freshness too? Not sure, but either way this is good stuff, so if you're a porter fan and you can snag this in the area it's well worth checking out.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Toasted-marshmallow brown/tan head on top of a chocolaty dark-brown, which might as well be called flat old black. Some lacing, although not much stick, and it disappears pretty quickly. That gorgeous head sticks around a good while (addendum: the whole time!).

Expecting a whole lotta roast (it's a porter!) and chocolate in the nose, I got something a little different. It's not the richest chocolate smell, it's almost like white chocolate, which is tough to describe but easy to detect. Quite sweet, a little graham cracker, and damn, can't get that white-chocolate comparison out of my head (or my nose). I like it, but boy, it's unusual. Can't say I've ever smelled a beer like it.

Cocoa/chocolate is quite strong in the flavor. It mingles well with the burnt/roast malt, and you get a porter that is neither overly sweet nor overly roasty. Hops do their part in offsetting the sweetness and there's a cool undertow of grape juice. Burnt chocolate in the finish, emphasis on the "burnt." Finish takes on a kind of plastic-y essence after awhile too.

Has much less body than expected, considering the style and the whole chocolate thing, but that's not to say it's watery. Just on the thinner side, very slick, and very buoyant. Not very sticky either, which is good, as that would've probably kept the burnt finish rolling a little to long.

I like trying a new Legend beer now and then, they seem to offer something a little different with each attempt, yet they're not so innovative or downright amazing to compete with the U.S. craft giants. This isn't mindblowing, but as with all their other stuff, this chocolate porter is certainly worth seeking out.

22oz bomber, baaart

appearance: boring design, poured into tyranena pint...very dark body, creamy mocha foam with light retention.

smell: cocoa powder, tobacco - kind of an unusual aroma. dry and smoky

taste: not a great porter - wish it were a lot creamier. cocoa powder, leather, tobacco, caramel. Theres some nice flavor in there somewhere but this one misses the mark.

mouthfeel: kind of a spicy dry finish

drinkability: eh

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an extremely dark brown, no light passes through. The head keeps growing. As soon as I started to remove the cap foam started spilling out of the bottle and quickly filled two glasses.

The scent was very dark like heavily roasted malt and dark chocolate. There was also a faint scent of wood.

The taste was dark chocolate and a slight sour note. I always expect milk chocolate to come out of chocolate beers but keep getting reminded that CHOCOLATE is much darker than that. Not much else to pick out other than dark chocolate and rich, heavy malt character.

Feel was smooth and creamy as a result of the foam that develops. In the back the feel was a little less creamy and a bit dryer.

3.27/5  rDev -9.9%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours black with 2+ fingers of rich chocolate brown head. This doesn't stick around much at all, leaving just some light spotty lacing behind. The aroma is straight up cocoa powder in the nostrils, with some underlying notes of roast, coffee, and some floral character. Kind of one dimensional.

The taste is once again very rich with that creamy chocolate and cocoa powder mix, with coffee mixing in to give this some light mocha accents. Dry roast and some spicy hop bitterness round out the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fair bit of sharpness to the carbonation but there is also an underlying chalkiness to the body that is a little off-putting.

Well there was no shortage of chocolate in this Porter but this just came off as too pervasive and artificial tasting to really get fully behind it. Not one of Legend's better efforts here I'm afraid.

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%

S = I didn't detect a lot in the nose other than some cocoa powder and a little malt sweetness.

T = Wow! The taste definitely took center stage on this one. A big cocoa powder flavor upfront with a little roasted malts near the end. The finish was a very nice semi-sweet roasted cocoa flavor that lingered. Only a hint of hop bitterness, which was more like a quality coffee bitterness.

MF = Body was medium and carbonation was between low and moderate. Finished a little dry, but very creamy.

Overall, this was a real winner for me. I passed on this one last year, but I'm stocking up after tasting this little gem. Legend has done an outstanding job.

4.3/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber to a pint glass the liquid id Black, with good carbonation. The head is a nice 2 fingers, tan and leaves some lace.

The smell is as advertised, COCOA, & Mocha.

The taste follow, This is a nice big bottle of chocolate mocha porter and quite pleasent to drink to.

The mouthfeel is good, nice body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is also very good. I will be buying more and even trading a few out to some good friends. Prosit MK

3.26/5  rDev -10.2%

Pours a dark black brown with a 1 and a 1/2 finger mocha head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells like baker's chocolate and coffee.

Taste follows the nose. Starts with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that leads into a roasted coffee taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Not a lot of carbonation which is to be expected.

Drinkability in a session is low since it is a pretty heavy beer. But I would have no problem making this a go to porter.

22oz bomber

Appearance: Dark brown/black with a tan head.

Smell: Roasted malts a bit of coffee

Taste – Chocolate and roasted malty goodness with some hops to even it all out. Fairly sweet up front with a bit of bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, not quite as solid as I expected which makes the beer much easier to finish.

Drinkability: Not super thick so this bomber went donw with ease and left me wanting another.

Overall I like this beer very much. It is made in the capital city of my state and right down the road form a good friend of mine. I would never turn one of these down.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

per the label, flavored with natural cocoa

a: pours an attractive 2-finger mocha head, above average retention, the beer is nearly black in color

s: a big dose of black cocoa and semisweet baker's chocolate over a moderately sweet malt body, much like a thick dark chocolate brownie, mostly smooth chocolate roasts but with some earthy dried coffee grounds, rich cocoa is by far the dominant aroma but without the heavy sweetness and thanks to the bitter nature it's not too much, moderate earthy hops, nice

m: carbonation on the light side of medium and delicate, medium-full body, cleans up well with just a little stickiness on the tongue

t: starts with semisweet chocolate, dusty cocoa, and various dark malts, moderate sweetness, turning drier and astringent soon after the swallow with some medium roast coffee, moderate bitterness cleans up the finish, puts chocolate at the front without overstepping good taste

d: surprisingly easy, but anything involving chocolate is likely limited to one serving

I'd been losing confidence in Legend and, contrary to my fears, this is much better than the standard porter, a very enjoyable beer

bomber from The Caboose, Ashland, VA

3.37/5  rDev -7.2%

dark, dark brown; almost black. light tan head drops quickly, but laces decently. aroma is candied dark fruits. raisins or prunes and of course, chocolate. taste: first off, let me say this one's been sitting in the fridge for a little while. i've had this very fresh and the chocolate flavor was absolutely delicious. however, in this sampling, the chocolate is fairly subdued compared to what i remember. very porter-esque. the chocolate is there, but mostly sweet dark fruits and grapes with a slight touch of alcohol. some lightly bitter coffee. finishes sweet and a little metallic. mouthfeel is a porter light with a little too much carbonation. overall, this isn't a bad beer at all. definitely a decent porter. i think it gets some unjust bad reviews, however, i poured this beer wanting chocolate. didn't get it this time, but i have before. i'll try it again fresh hoping it's as good as i remember.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Nice dark pour with a great, creamy head... leaves behind plenty of stringy lace.

S: Soft malts, bakers chocolate. Not a whole lot of complexity, but decent.

T: The chocolate flavour is there, but it seems a little economy... like picking up the semi-sweet baking chocolate from the grocery store. Not offensive, but not fine or delicate by any means.

M + D: I would almost expect a little creamier, but got a bit overcarbonated and light. Has potential, and some balance is there, but not something I could see myself actively seeking out.

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

This one was quite a disappointment. It just proves the point that appearances can be deceiving... Pours with a huge brown head that has quite a cascading effect for a non-nitro can brew. The head becomes rather rocky, and eventually turns into a sparce lace that lingers for the duration. Almost solid black in color. Not much at all can be seen through this one. Great looking brew, but it begins to fall apart as soon as I attempt to take in the aroma. Unfortunately, there's not much aroma there at all. Slight chocolate notes, but it's so faint, it's tough to tell. The mouthfeel is medium. Nothing to complain about, but noting to write home about either. The flavor profile is probably just about as one-dimensional as any beer I've ever had. Start to finish is almost completely overtaken by the chocolate notes that at the same time seem far too buttery. The chocolate also seem rather artificial, making me think that some sort of cheap chocolate flavoring (way too much of it for that matter) was just haphazardly tossed into rather bland porter in attempt to save it. After a few sips, the chocolate flavoring becomes quite cloying. There is a slight roastedness towards the end of the swallow that makes you think that this is, indeed, a porter... it's fleeting though so pay attention or you'll miss it. I've typically been rather pleased with Legend brews. Not this time. I bought 2 bottles of this. I'm not sure what I'll do with the second. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, and the second will show a marked improvement.

4.35/5  rDev +19.8%

appearance - Black color with a nice tan head that didn't stick around. No lace on this, but it looked real good when i poured it.

smell - Toasted malts and some chocolate. It does come all the way through, but you can pick it out.

taste - I would say it taste just like semisweet dark chocolate. Some toasted malts, but pretty much all chocolate.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - I will say when it says chocolate, its chocolate. Most beers I try do not have much of a chocolate taste, but more of a cocoa taste, this was pretty good.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into a snifter. I think this is from early 2010, but I'm not sure.

3.0 A: Looks like this has become severly overcarbonated. Not a gusher, but I only got about a half inch of liquid on the first pour with a big frothy head filling the rest. Several pours and more than several minutes later, I finally got a full glass. Black color. Three fingers of frothy light brown head with decent retention, but not much lacing.

3.0 S: Aroma is weaker than I prefer. Dry and "dusty" overall, but there is some caramel in there. The cacoa is there, but doesn't contribute a whole lot though it gains some strength as the beer warms. A light cidery component as well.

3.5 T: The taste is better than the nose. The cocoa comes through much stronger in the nose and it works well with the base beer. The underlying porter is musky, dusty, but not as dry as the nose. Caramel sweetness brings about some good balance with the roasty and char flavors. Again, there is a light cidery component.

3.0 M: I would have given this a 3.5 if it wasn't so overlycarbonated. I did swirl it down to an acceptable level, but that isn't something I should be required to do. Lighter medium body. Decently creamy for how light the body is. Would be smoother with appropriate carbonation.

3.0 D: This wasn't too bad, but it's not something I would buy. The taste was alright, but the cider component hints that the brewery isn't very consistent. The carbonation was a pain in the ass to deal with, but if the beer was better, I could have dealt with it.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

On tap at the White Dog in Richmond, VA over Thanksgiving break. We don't get there too much but it's good to see the place and they remember us from sheeeit...7 years ago? Anyway...

Solid, espresso-dark body topped with a pretty thin ginger-maple head - I'm cheap when it comes to draft - I'll sacrifice head for an honest pour, so I got no beef here.

The chocolate is great on the nose - a blend of milk and dark chocolate with ample roasted chocolate malt tones. Minimal hops and even a little cream in here.

Taste brings about no surprises from the nose - what you smell is what you get - good chocolate quotient with a little milk and mild hop grass.

This one drinks like velvety cream. Finish is very soft with good chocolate and roasted chocolate malt tones...maybe a tinge of butter (diacetyl (?)) in there but nothing offensive...

Sip this one softly and enjoy it. Used to be a standard at the Hill Cafe up on Church Hill back in the day if memory serves me right. Good to see this one back on tap. Fine local concoction.

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an oily, opaque black with deep copper highlights. The creamy brown head features fair retention and leaves a generous, sprawling lace. Massive cocoa aroma with a little toffee and caramel too. Huge cocoa character in the flavor as well, but there is also roasted coffee bitterness, subtle caramel, and some burnt fruit character. While the brew’s maltiness overwhelms any hop bite, the bitterness of the burnt/cocoa flavors establish a decent balance. Extra creamy mouthfeel with moderate carbonation.

Perhaps the best porter I’ve ever had, it certainly has the most robust cocoa flavor I’ve ever encountered in this style of beer. An exceptional beer from a consistently outstanding brewery. Highly, highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this "bomber" back for me from Virginia!

Pours black (very dark brown when held to the light) with a rich brown head that is foamy and slowly descends. Traces of lacing stick.

The smell is of chocolate/cocoa powder - plenty of it with a roasted smokiness.

The taste is of cocoa/chocolate - more bitter than sweet - like baker's chocolate. There is a roast character that gives it a smoky character as well. Bitterish cocoa repeats.

It has a silky medium body.

The first half drank well, though the second became chocolate/cocoa and roasty/smoky to the point that although enjoyable, it slowed a bit. The roast/smoke gives it a unique touch, and the bitterish chocolate is certainly prominent.

3.81/5  rDev +5%

Presentation – 22oz bomber with badass logo

Appearance – dark with thick tan head

Aroma – not a ton going on, some grassy notes, kind of alcoholy

Taste – I think the taste is nice and well balanced all around. Definitely a lot of chocolate and roasted malts with a slight hint of coffee. In general, a bit sweeter than most porters, nothing spectacular, but decent all around.

Mouthfeel – full bodied, good carbonation

Drinkability – thick, but the balance makes this one easy going down

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

Drank a 23 oz. bottle given to me by a Stout-loving friend. Pours a dark black with a reasonable head that dissipates quickly. A little sweet up front with a nice chocolaty bitter bite at the end. The smoke and chocolate flavors are subdued. The mouthfeel is a little thin and the flavor, while good, is not outstanding. What is outstanding is the drinkability. This is a great session beer. A nice flavor that goes down easy and stays interesting.

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Wonderfully deep dark and brown... almost black. Just a little head, tan colored, leaving a little ring throughout. Little to no lacing.

A: Dark chocolate, straight up.

T: Smell and taste are dead on....Dark chocolate right in your face... there is a sweetness there but a chocolate bitterness following right after. The bitterness in the aftertaste overpowers the sweetness at the start. The is also a great deal of coffee running throughout. The slight bitterness lingers nicely.

M: Medium to full bodied. Creamy yet crisp. The carbonation was pretty lively, I think this adds to the crispness. Exciting yet smooth.

D: It is not a session beer by any means.... enjoy over a period of time... it gets better as it warms... Take you time and enjoy the ride.

I look forward the this brew Thanksgiving... a must have for the holidays.

Chocolate Porter from Legend Brewing Co.