Chocolate Porter - Legend Brewing Co.

Chocolate PorterChocolate Porter

good

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  5.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Porter by standard description is a rich, sweet ale that is not easily seen through. Porter by Legend standards exceeds these parameters slightly. Legend Chocolate Porter takes on a new level of Porterness. We were generous in our additions of dark malts for this brew. These include Caramel and Chocolate malts, as well as our standard “Porter malts”. The addition of natural cocoa extract at filtering time gives this brew a strong choco-nose and a deep lingering Wonkaesque finish. German Tettenang hops are used for a clean balancing bitterness. Expect a dark black beer with a rich and sweet aromatic presence. The flavor is of dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, and more dark chocolate.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-23-2003)
1.7/5  rDev -53.2%

Presentation: Twelve-ounce serving lovingly poured into a plastic cup.

Appearance: The beer pours a dark, murky brown with a tan head that seems “tired.” Almost no lacing as well, although this and the head retention could be related to the nonexistent glassware. Not blaming the guys too much for this.

Smell: Butter and cocoa masquerading as chocolate. There’s something here that comes off as sickeningly—perhaps raisin-like—sweet. Caramel? I don’t know, but this seems confused and not very appetizing.

Taste: Whoa, someone melted a stick of butter into an otherwise decent porter. I pick up notes of diacetyl and cocoa powder. Oh, and raisins. And diacetyl. Perhaps a hint of coffee. And diacetyl. And again, more diacetyl. I’m waiting for the chocolate that’s been promised to me. The buttery flavor is probably the greatest flaw of this brew and it's unfortunate that it overwhelms everything else. Confusing and gross.

Mouthfeel: Probably the nicest aspect of this brew and even this was mediocre. Thinner than I would have hoped, but not terribly offensive when compared to the taste.

Drinkability: The thinner body makes this brew easier to drink, but the taste does not. A chore to get through, in my opinion.

Notes: I’m not going to complain too much, since I got this for free when I followed a friend to the anniversary party. Plus, it is good to support the local brew scene. Seriously, though, there is a limit. I didn’t pay and I’m still wanting my money back. Or someone’s money back, anyway. I’m hoping I was served either the wrong beer or there was some problem with this specific keg or it was a practical joke. If it’s the lattermost, it’s not funny. This is grim and upsets my stomach.

If offered this again, I might have it just to ensure that I am having the beer that I was meant to have. I’ve never been particularly enamored of Legends, but I’ve had a few passable brews from them. This isn’t one of them. Guys, you can do better.

A failure of a brew. Pass on this.

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Opaque blackness. Massively thick tan-colored head quickly dies away to nothing. Sparse lacing (?dirty glass?). Tremendous amounts of butter noted in the aroma, to the point of being overwhelming. Only the tiniest amounts of cocoa powder can penetrate the stick of butter thrust up your nose. Flavor has a very, very raisin-like character. Certainly not what I expected in a chocolate porter. There is also a bit of chocolate and caramel sweetness, but they play only a minor cameo role. Finished much more "fizzy" than expected, with a hint of sourness. Not much chocolate in this porter, but sadly, I've come to not expect much from Legend's beers. Mouthfeel is OK, thought slightly on the thin side. Drinkability suffers from the massive diacetyl aromas and the strong sour-raisin flavors. I'd like to try this in a fresh bottle and see if it's different.

2.68/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with a small, fine tan head.

Smell: Butter-cocoa aroma. Ugh, not another Legend Butter Bomb.

Taste: The extreme butter taste reigns over the chocolate. There's some sweetness, even some roast hiding in there, but the HIGH amount of diacetyl spoils it. Bleh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Slick mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Legend, oh Legend, won't you ever escape the diacetyl problem?

2.7/5  rDev -25.6%

Black in color...over two fingers of tan head with no lacing as it recedes.
Mild aromas...some chocolate, vanilla, and a definite vineous quality.
The taste is not much chocolate...especially for being called a "chocolate" porter and the wine character is more sour as it sits on the pallet. Bitter coffee in the finish with no alcohol detected.
Thin mouthfeel and too much carbonation for my liking.
I am usually very impressed with Legend, but I will not look to come back to this one anytime soon.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

This one was quite a disappointment. It just proves the point that appearances can be deceiving... Pours with a huge brown head that has quite a cascading effect for a non-nitro can brew. The head becomes rather rocky, and eventually turns into a sparce lace that lingers for the duration. Almost solid black in color. Not much at all can be seen through this one. Great looking brew, but it begins to fall apart as soon as I attempt to take in the aroma. Unfortunately, there's not much aroma there at all. Slight chocolate notes, but it's so faint, it's tough to tell. The mouthfeel is medium. Nothing to complain about, but noting to write home about either. The flavor profile is probably just about as one-dimensional as any beer I've ever had. Start to finish is almost completely overtaken by the chocolate notes that at the same time seem far too buttery. The chocolate also seem rather artificial, making me think that some sort of cheap chocolate flavoring (way too much of it for that matter) was just haphazardly tossed into rather bland porter in attempt to save it. After a few sips, the chocolate flavoring becomes quite cloying. There is a slight roastedness towards the end of the swallow that makes you think that this is, indeed, a porter... it's fleeting though so pay attention or you'll miss it. I've typically been rather pleased with Legend brews. Not this time. I bought 2 bottles of this. I'm not sure what I'll do with the second. Hopefully this was just a bad bottle, and the second will show a marked improvement.

2.78/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle, immediate punch of cocoa powder aroma hits as you pop the cap. This will be my first Legend beer.

Pours out like smooth chocolate milk, little carbonation and a quickly fading frothy deep tan head that leaves no lacing. Aroma is cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate, very artificial and one dimensional. Flavor isn't as sweet as expected, but it still isn't good, very little presence from whatever the base porter was, primarily a slightly bitter powdery flavor. Seriously, I feel like I need to stir this to mix it better. Medium bodied, light carbonation. Doesn't seem very well made, plenty of other porters that have a nice chocolate character (whether or not chocolate was directly added) to drink this one.

2.93/5  rDev -19.3%

Opened the bottle to find a gushing chocolate foam spilling out. I managed to get it in a glass where it continued to foam for a while. I've never actually seen a beer increase in head after it's been in the glass for a few minutes but somehow this one kept rising and I had to keep sipping to prevent a spill.

When the foam started turning into beer it was a dark brown, almost black in color. Very nice head retention through drinking it though.

The aroma has a bit of a cocoa and milk chocolaty flavor to it overall. It seems to have more of a buttery and fruity, apple like flavor to it that seems to overpower the chocolate for me though unfortunately. It wasn't bad, just not what I was expecting at all in a chocolate porter.

The taste shows some sweeter cocoa flavor to it with more of a milk chocolaty flavor to it overall. It seems to have a bit of a buttery, almost fruity or apple like flavor to it in the finish that I wasn't expecting at all.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being high. Carbonation definitely feels too high for the style. Drinkability isn't bad, but it's probably average at best for the style. The buttery, fruity, apple like flavors I got just didn't fit with the chocolate and the high carbonation didn't help either. Not a bad beer but not a great one either. Just not one of my favorites from Legend.

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a wonderful dark chocolate inot my Troubadour tulip yielding a one inch frothy cocoa head. The head quickly subsides with little lace. Aromas of cocoa and light molasses. Even at drinking temp nothing really jumps out of the glass.

Taste hits the tongue running with rivers of light cocoa and dark raw sugars. Quickly moves to an odd mouthfeel with the carbonation kind of fizzing on the tongue and the finish almost sour and astringent. Not much more I can say about this one.

Thought this one would be a winner but it is merely average and odd to an extent. Thanks for the opportunity Phisig137!

3.23/5  rDev -11%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown decent sized caramel tan head leaves minimal lacing as it dwindles. Aroma: Mix of caramel, chocolate, and a touch of rich peanut butter with a coffee edge. Taste: Tart in the forefron with coffee notes and dark chocolate hints pretty sweet but a tart offness in the finish makes me wonder how this classifies as a chocolate porter. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation, nice brew. Drinkability: Not bad lacks true chocolate presence and I notice some flaws like the arbitrary tart character.

3.23/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a snifter. I think this is from early 2010, but I'm not sure.

3.0 A: Looks like this has become severly overcarbonated. Not a gusher, but I only got about a half inch of liquid on the first pour with a big frothy head filling the rest. Several pours and more than several minutes later, I finally got a full glass. Black color. Three fingers of frothy light brown head with decent retention, but not much lacing.

3.0 S: Aroma is weaker than I prefer. Dry and "dusty" overall, but there is some caramel in there. The cacoa is there, but doesn't contribute a whole lot though it gains some strength as the beer warms. A light cidery component as well.

3.5 T: The taste is better than the nose. The cocoa comes through much stronger in the nose and it works well with the base beer. The underlying porter is musky, dusty, but not as dry as the nose. Caramel sweetness brings about some good balance with the roasty and char flavors. Again, there is a light cidery component.

3.0 M: I would have given this a 3.5 if it wasn't so overlycarbonated. I did swirl it down to an acceptable level, but that isn't something I should be required to do. Lighter medium body. Decently creamy for how light the body is. Would be smoother with appropriate carbonation.

3.0 D: This wasn't too bad, but it's not something I would buy. The taste was alright, but the cider component hints that the brewery isn't very consistent. The carbonation was a pain in the ass to deal with, but if the beer was better, I could have dealt with it.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours black with 2+ fingers of rich chocolate brown head. This doesn't stick around much at all, leaving just some light spotty lacing behind. The aroma is straight up cocoa powder in the nostrils, with some underlying notes of roast, coffee, and some floral character. Kind of one dimensional.

The taste is once again very rich with that creamy chocolate and cocoa powder mix, with coffee mixing in to give this some light mocha accents. Dry roast and some spicy hop bitterness round out the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fair bit of sharpness to the carbonation but there is also an underlying chalkiness to the body that is a little off-putting.

Well there was no shortage of chocolate in this Porter but this just came off as too pervasive and artificial tasting to really get fully behind it. Not one of Legend's better efforts here I'm afraid.

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a dark black brown with a 1 and a 1/2 finger mocha head. Decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smells like baker's chocolate and coffee.

Taste follows the nose. Starts with a semi-sweet chocolate taste that leads into a roasted coffee taste.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Not a lot of carbonation which is to be expected.

Drinkability in a session is low since it is a pretty heavy beer. But I would have no problem making this a go to porter.

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Black body with a brown head that dissipates much too quickly and leaves no head or lace.
Good chocolate scent with some alcohol present and faint coffee bean.
Taste is cocoa beans and some cofee beans, alcohol apparent and pretty much the taste is the same as the smell. Very little aftertaste.
Pretty thin for the style and very little coating.
Even with the good taste, the lack of body and head just ruins this brew and makes it boring after 1/2 a bottle.

-Oelergud

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%

Dispensed from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Black with purple magenta highlights. Large and frothy and dense cappuccino colored head. VEry creamy and smooth looking.

Aroma is really chocolatey. Smells just like hot chocolate, except cold. One weird aroma I detect is almost like a piece of steak or beef jerky. Certainly doesnt deter me but makes this one interesting. Fresh cocoa powder.

Cocoa and hazelnut in the flavor profile. I actually taste a little more of a nutty flavor than the chocolate. Big cocoa in the aftertaste.

Becomes less drinkable as the beer warms. A bit thin on the palate. Interesting to say the least. Some weird nutty, beefy, cocoa flavors going on but they all seem to work.

Chocolate Porter from Legend Brewing Co.