Porter - Legend Brewing Co.

PorterPorter

good

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 08-31-2003

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Got to try this on nitro; believe it made a noticeable difference. Head retention was a bit lacking for a nitro beer but okay overall. Flavor and body were both great and spot on for a porter. One of the desserts offered at the Legend restaurant is a float made with this brew; I could see that working well but didn't try it. (326 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -18.1%

No idea how old the bottle I have is. It immediately fizzed over on opening and proceeded to do so twice more after the initial pour. Nice dark black with a creamy tan head but significant floaters visible. There's yeast bits on the head, too. Nothing about it being bottle aged, so...
Not much by way of aroma but there was a big alcohol astringency with a metallic bite in the flavor. Not at all good.
All in all, nothing good about this bottle. It went down the drain, sad to say. (484 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance: The fudge colored liquid arrives in a pint glass with a small head that manages to leave a few dots of lace behind

Smell: Chocolate, coffee grinds and toast

Taste: Chocolate, toast and coffee elements, up front, but a robust husky, grainy flavor takes over in the middle; suprisingly little flavor lingers, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: There is a husky, grainy bitterness to this beer that overwhelms the flavors that might round it out; would be better with a bit more chocolate and coffee character (563 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottle code: 266 11 A1P 0537; Poured in a pint glass.

A - Just over an inch of khaki colored, foamy head with good retention; Very dark brown in color with light coming through along the edges of the glass; Almost no lacing left behind

S - Nice aroma here with notes of cocoa, milky sweetness, brown sugar, floral and earthy hops, and a touch of roasted coffee beans; I also detect just a small hint of dark, sugary fruits as well

T - Not quite as much sweetness here as the nose, with just a faint showing of bitterness as well; Flavors include cocoa powder, earthy/leafy hops, and some roasted coffee with a bit of cream; As the beer warms, I begin to taste some of the dark fruits detected in the aroma

M - Plenty of carbonation; Medium bodied - feels a bit lighter than I anticipated; Leaves the mouth just a bit dry and chalky feeling

O - I enjoyed getting to try this porter from Legend and thought the aroma and taste were pretty solid. I wasn't too crazy about the mouthfeel, but it's light and tasty enough for me to consume more than a bomber's worth. Overall, I think this brew is one of the better offerings from Legend and one that I'll gladly purchase again in the future. (1,191 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

22 oz bomber poured into a Hoegaarden glass. No bottling date is visible.

A: Nearly pitch black with some nice bubbles running up the side of the glass. An attractive three finger off-white head looks thick but dissipates relatively quickly.

S: A rich maltiness hits the nose first, followed by some caramel and brown sugar notes. Also a bit of nutiness. The aroma doesn't jump out at you, but it's pleasant smelling.

T: There's a chocolate taste here that I didn't pick up on in the
nose, along with some of the caramel and some bread as well. There's a nice malt backbone, and it's not nearly as sweet as I thought it would be, which is a good thing. Finally, it finishes with just the right amount of biterness for a great balanced taste. This is a really great tasting porter.

M: This is easy to drink. Some may find it to be a bit too
carbonated, but I think it's just right.

I was quite surprised by how good this was. This might be my favorite year round beer from Legend now, even ahead of the Brown Ale. I wish they sold it in 6 packs though. (1,057 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Pours a clean black with two fingers of rocky brown head. Good retention with a cap on it all the way to the bottome, decent lacing.

S: Dark roasted malts come in first, backed up nicely with semi sweet chocolate. Get some deeper espresso aroma, and sweet caramel malts.

T: Very roasty, right up to the point where I dislike them, but not over the line. Get some caramel in there, with dry cocoa as well. Somewhat leathery flavor as well, with a sweeter chocolate tone at the end. No hoppy profile that I could pick up.

M: A bit light and watery for my likes, could use some body.

O: I was pleasantly surprised here, nice flavorful Porter, well executed, and plain tasty. Tough to put down more then one as this one borders on my dark roast threshold, but it's a good one. (783 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -26.4%

Black with tan head.

Weak aroma of roasted grains with something like turned milk.

Modest roasty notes of coffee and chocolate with oxidative and sour notes.

Over-medium body with a dry astringent burnt malt finish.

Most certainly past its prime, but it gets reviewed as such because both me and Legend live in Virginia and ever since they expanded and ramped up production and started bottling in six packs, it has been actually harder to get a fresh Legend - even in their home state. (490 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Very dark and pours with a dark tan head that dissipates at a moderate pace. Chocolate-caramel flavor that goes down smoothly with a nice lingering aftertaste. Mine was cold out of the refrigerator and I think I would prefer it at cellar temperature. A 22 oz bottle is very filling, as if it were a Guinness. (308 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -14.4%

Very, very dark brown, almost black with a dark tan head that recedes quickly leaving no lacing.

Decent aroma of coffee, light metallics and wood.

Very tart relative to the style, not what I would expect at all in a porter. Some earthiness or woodiness as well.

Medium-bodied. It leaves a light stickiness throughout the mouth. Warming in the throat.

No born on date, but perhaps this was past it's prime. I see no other mention of it beint overly tart. It improved just a bit in the end, but to me, a porter shouldn't be tart. (531 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

A - A near-black porter with a coffee/mocha colored head. Two-finger head after a hard (almost too hard) pour that dissipated VERY quickly. Layer of foam has stayed on top of the beer for the rest of the drinking session. Moderate lacing that doesn't want to leave the sides of the glass. 3.5

S - Smells of roasted malts, firewood, chocolate, coffee, maybe even a hint of fruit like figs or raisins. 3.5

T - For a Porter, Legend's is a bit light on taste but it's very pleasant. I was worried after having the lager (and being a bit disappointed) but I'm very pleased with the Porter's taste. Not too sweet and full of coffee, roasted malt, and bourbon flavors. 4.0

M - Mouthfeel is very light, almost a little too much so. I guess this would be a good thing if I was looking to drink a bunch of porters and not be full, and the taste of this particular one is pretty good. However, in terms of the style I think Legend should strive for a more medium-bodied porter in order to get the entire spectrum of flavor and body one might expect. 3.0

O - I'm pleased with this purchase, actually. I love the Brown Ale that Legend is well-known for, but outside of that I've heard mixed reviews. I can definitely say that the Porter is my current second-favorite of the Legend line. Definitely worth a taste and one that people should try before listening to others' opinions. 3.5 (1,375 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

Purchased as a 22 from Kroger - tulip - allowed to warm some.

Pours an absolutely beautiful Dark dark brown with almost no edge, but what is there is deep and brown. Awesome dense head that looks like the top of a cappuccino. Smells very portery. Sweet malt aromas with some licorice. Taste follows well, it's bitter in a way as if there is some significant hopping which is odd as Legend's IPA is not well hopped.. Mouthfeel is awesome. Smooth and silky without being syrupy or thick.

Overall, this is maybe the best of the Legend lineup I've had. The brown is a solid choice. This is a nice treat.

I grilled up some cheap ground sirloin steak thingies, lots of pepper and kosher salt - went very well with the pepper. (722 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Whoa! Two finger + head after a very hard pour. The color of that head was beige, and despite its size, it died down rather quickly (I was actually surprised at exactly how quickly). The brew itself was about the darkest brown you could imagine. Absolutely NO retention.

S: Kinda gnarly actually. Very metallic.... almost like rusted copper pipes. I got a bit of roast, but it was so faint that if I were doing a blind taste test on this, I may not have even known the style.

T: More fruity and yeasty than roasty. Figs, dark roasted malts, and maybe a tinge of chocolate. As I got into the session, I picked up some vanilla. Fairly smooth finish.

M: Skimpy and thin. However, I appreciated the low sugar content. No lacing whatsoever.

O: This was the worst Legend brew I've experience so far.... hands down. The smell alone was a real turnoff. Avoid this brew, but please try their other ones... you'll be a better person for it! (937 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -11.2%

A - touch of red around the edges. Tall tight darker head.

S - chocolate hops and yeast. Coffee and malts through the finish.

T - prime and organic tones up front. Chocolate, malts and yeast.

M - medium coating and just a slight tingle on sides.of tongue.

O - not bad, but I would probably pass it over for other choices. (325 characters)

Very very nice porter. One you have to know that with my English heritage that I am partial to porters anyway. I don't care much for heavy hop brews. This is a nice malty port with hints of coffee and chocolate. Very enjoyable and another nice brew from Virginia, not to mention my birthplace. (293 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown/black color with a large brown head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind no lacing.

Smell: Sweet chocolate with molasses and a slight grassiness.

Taste: Begins with a light grassy character that rounds out to coffee, and then finally finishing with sweet chocolate and caramel.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with sharp carbonation to begin and a sticky finish.

Overall: This is a very enjoyable, sweet porter. This can make for a great dessert beer and is very drinkable. (576 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.4%

A-Deep, dark lack/brown with a massive, effervescent tan head that slowly reduces to a thin cap of retention and leaves decorative lace.

S-Light chocolate malt, touch of sweet caramel, a hint of coffee and even a little damp earth. Nice but all of this is rather light.

T-Much like the aroma with a decent dose of bittersweet chocolate, sweet caramel malt, earthy hops and even a subtle hit of anise in the drying, chalky finish.

M-Medium-light bodied and disappointingly thin. This lacks the robustness I like when enjoying a porter. To much carbonation and lack of body brings this one down.

D-Decent but needs some tweaking. Good flavour profile but lack of aroma and wimpy body makes this one drinkable but certainly not memorable. (739 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

22 oz bomber pours a black color with a frothy brown foam. Fades at an average clip and does not leave much lacing.

Nose is light, unsweetened chocolate, a little bit of licorice and cola. Not much sweetness and there is low fruitiness, just a few hints of raspberries perhaps.

Taste has a touch of smoke and more licorice. A little overcarbonated and thin, it would be better with a sweeter, fuller body. Perhaps some more fresh roast? Light chalk comes in as it warms and feels a little old-worldly, hops are in the background for sure. Decent value at 3.99 for a bomber, but the contents are pretty forgettable. (616 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured a 22 in a pint glass. This beer pours a deep syrupy dark chocolate color and has a nice off-white to tan head - so far so good. The head however is popping so fast it looks like a soda foam and is disappearing fast.

The smell is like chocolate malts and even a little cola in there. No hop aroma to be told.

The taste is a bit watery. It tastes thin, and I've had this beer before and it was much fuller. Carbonation is a bit low making it taste flat and the most forward notes I pick up on are raisins, dates, and dark fruits. I don't pick up any on chocolate malts, which makes me think they used mostly base malt with a bit of black patent.

Mouthfeel is ok, but like I said a bit watered down for my taste. Not exceptionally drinkable in the sense I wouldn't want another one, but it is drinkable in the sense it's not chewy. (838 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

I need more local beers in my life (or, at least, in my stomach). This one pours an opaque black brown topped by more than two fingers of light tan foam, which settles into a nice foggy layer on the surface. The nose comprises toasted wheat, a pinch of nutmeg, and a soapy quality I can't put my finger on. The taste holds notes of light molasses, brown sugar, roasted malts, and, possibly, a bit of bitter coffee (I thrive on controversy). The aftertaste is a watery bit of dark wheat. The body is a light-ish medium, with light carbonation and a very fluid feel. Overall, a decent porter, but definitely middle-of-the-road. (668 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -42%

22 oz bottle.
Appearance: One of the darkest black porters I've ever seen. Huge head, but it appears overly bubbly, like a soda.

Smell: Its a little toasty with some chocolate notes, but there's a weird plasticy smell too. Not good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The taste and mouthfeel cannot be separated because this is the most insanely overcarbonated beer I've ever tasted. My wife tried it and compared it to diet Coke. The bubbles tingle inside your nose. Its horrible. Once you force all the bubbles down your throat, the aftertaste is actually a decent toasted chocolate malt taste. Burps are guaranteed by the overcarbonation and taste like plastic.

Drinkability: I've forced the bomber down for some reason. I think this is probably a sub-par bottle of an OK beer. This kind of quality control is not impressive though.

EDIT: I had this on draft at one of the taverns in colonial Williamsburg. It was actually pretty good. I ordered another one. I dont know what happened with my bottle. (991 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Carbonated, opaque dark amber-brown with minimal tan head

Smell: Espresso, chocolate, intriguing..

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, toasty

Mouthfeel: Smooth and thick with a lingering finish

Drinkability: For a porter, it's extremely drinkable. It's smooth and creamy, but not overpowering (298 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%

One of Legend's original ideosyncratic beers. The porter is as black as a stout. It harkens back to a time when porter was a more generic name for dark beers, before the "stout" porters began to corner the market on blackness. It's a sweet chocolately malty beer with mild hop balance and a unique tanginess that, to my mind, makes this neither an ordinary porter or one soon forgotten. My understanding is that Legend introduces some unfermented wort back into the fermented ale before it is kegged - and that this is not done for "krausening" the beer, it's just to give it a little extra body & sweetness. That said, it's not like most other porters, it comes off more like a milk stout or a Christmas winter warmer type beer, and makes a nice after dinner drink. But it will kick you in the head if you drink too much, partly because it's 6+ % alcohol but also due to the high degree of unfermentables. It's tasty but it's not what I consider a porter. (956 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a pitch black body with one-finger head and a basic but solid malty smell of some sweet and roasted malts. Smooth and creamy, rather light-bodied, with minor sweet notes complementing roasted malts for a simple but effective blend. Passes easily and has a dry backbite. A good porter but nothing to write home about. (323 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Not quite black - the darkest of browns, and nearly opaque. The brown head is moderately tall and densely foamy. Retention is solid, with some decent lacing.

S: Dark fruit - plums or prunes, along with semisweet chocolate and some sweetened espresso. Some roasted notes. Hints of charcoal, vanilla, and earthen hops.

T: Some sweet, roasted malt up front. Sweetened coffee and semisweet chocolate again noticeable. Leafy and earthy hops provide some flavor that accompanies a prune-like fruit character pretty nicely. Vanilla is present, with a bit of charcoal.

M: Medium bodied - a touch thin for the style. Carbonation is light. Somewhat creamy and slick on the tongue. A touch dry as well.

D: I guess I was anticipating a bigger porter given the bomber bottle and the, well, "legend-ary" art on the label. It's not, not by a long shot. That said, a perfectly nice, drinkable porter. (895 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

22oz bomber into pint glass.

Pitch black with a two finger dense brown head that slowly settles to a thick, even and smooth cap.

Surprisingly light aromas, mostly dark roasted grain and a touch of caramel.

Lots of roasty grains in the flavor, but still on the lighter side. There is a little bit of caramel, or maybe it's just diacetyl mixing with the malts. The hops add a little herbal flavor to the background, but there is not much there. Full bodied.

By the appearance I was honestly thinking that this was going to be more on the robust side of things. Still, it's a very solid porter, maybe drifting more toward the English style. Very drinkable. Recommended. (671 characters)

Porter from Legend Brewing Co.