Brown Ale - Legend Brewing Co.

Brown AleBrown Ale

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

English Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-04-2001)
3.61/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This is the last of the beers my little brother brought me when he came to visit a little while back (he's the best).

The pour is considerably lighter and more opaque than I expected. Looks almost more like and amber, with it's light toffee/mahogany shading. Decent sized suds on top, an off-white almond colour. Effervescent.

The smell is quite enticing. Nutty and sweet with a bready background, it's not something I look for in all of my beers, but for a brown, it seems to be about what I want.

I have to admit it's a little bit of a let down as it goes down the hatch. Primary notes of are crisp and refreshing, a light caramel, which is backed up by a caramel creaminess. A bit of deeez nuts, before tapering into a bitter finish. There's a doughy character somewhere in there that is kind of disappointing, tastes like raw gingerbread dough: brown sugar and yeast that feel unfinished, like they were supposed to get together and make something, but just decided to sit by themselves on the sideline instead.
There's a lot of really enjoyable components here, and the makings of a very good brown, but it just didn't all come together as I had hoped. Glad I tried it, much love to my brother for bringing it through, but ultimately not one I'll probably ever have again.

edit: As I have a bomber and a tiny glass, it has taken several refills, and each refill has caused it to try to overflow with head, while the beer part stays in the bottom inch or so of the glass. This coupled with some other things that came out as I drink make me wonder if there's something up with this bottle (I admittedly don't know much about what can affect a beer/what effect it can have). Is this a possibility?

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

3.6/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real solid looking brown, with a deep copper red hue, and large brown mahogany dark body. Large evenly tan and four finger tall head is produced with a large staying foaming cap. Solid and impressive looking with very slow rising carbonation barely seen in the middle.

Light toasty notes, but a bit grainy with a weak sense of caramel. Kind of dry. A little gaseous perhaps also. Otherwise ok.

Palate is interesting. Most of the flavor hits in the aftertaste. Predominant on milk chocolate with a very good coating mouthfeel if a bit fizzy just a tad in the finish. Flavors don't seem to last and provide a little bit of sticky syrup quality after some time.

Overall sort of missing the nutty character and malt depth, but it's not a bad brew though and certainly not a horrible brown that's for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is my steady. I always have on hand. The best English style brown ale in the world.

From Legend Brewing Co.;

"Our most popular beer, Legend's is a full bodied version of a British Brown Ale. Expect a rich, malt-forward brew with a beautiful mahogany tone. Generous amounts of specialty malts bring flavors of sweet caramel, toasted nuts, coffee, and molasses, all perfectly balanced by a steady but cautious hop dryness. Fruity undertones provided by our house yeast strain bring the final flavor element to round out this world class ale. 5.8% Alc. By Vol."

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Once again, my local, in-person trader, tone77, has come through with an interesting beer for me to try. I tend to eschew beers not in CANs or other than AIPAs so he keeps me honest and in the game. Well done!

An aggro pour resulted in a brief finger of light-tan head with limited retention. Color was a mahogany brown with NE-quality clarity. Nose gave off notes of milk chocolate, nuts, caramel and toffee. Whee! Mouthfeel was unexpectedly effervescent with a very nutty flavor on the tongue. This was turning out much better than I had expected. Finish was semi-dry with the nuttiness being offset by a butterscotch-caramel-toffee flavor. For not being my cuppa tea, this was quite a nice beer. It just reinforces my need to diversify whenever possible.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Brown Ale from Legend Brewing Co.