Lager - Legend Brewing Co.

LagerLager

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

A step above mass produced lager beers, Legend Lager offers the comfort of easy drinkability while also bringing a depth of flavor due to our use of 100% barley malt, yeilding a pure, bright malt flavor and a medium body. Modest hopping and cool fermentation temperatures make for a smooth character and a clean finish.

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 12-30-2002)
1.5/5  rDev -55.4%

Shilt, Dec 26, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -54.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: on tap at Legend

Here's the one for people coming in and asking "What's the closest thing y'all got to Miller Lite?" Straw-yellow pour, clear, with a small cap of white bubbles that fizzled out almost completely. Weak aroma of corn sugar and light floral hops. Taste of grains, corn, lager yeast, light hops lacking any crispness or depth. Light body. Any more than a sampler is essentially undrinkable.

Rifugium, May 25, 2013
2.13/5  rDev -36.6%

Has this on tap at Capital Ale House in Fredericksburg.

Appearance is clear and golden with a medium thick head which falls quickly.

Smell is really unpleasant to me. Kind of a weird musty sourdough scent. Gross.

The taste is only a little better than the smell. There's a cloying, aggressive biscuitiness. Skunkiness denigrates the brew also. Tiny floral presence.

Mouthfeel is creamy but has an off-putting astringent character to it.

I drank the whole 12 oz. serving but none of it was enjoyable. I will not be drinking this brew ever again. When I ordered this I was not aware that it was classified as an adjunct lager, but for the record, I would prefer a BMC over this based on taste. Just gross.

sarahspat, May 02, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -33%

mojiboo02, Jan 28, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

jaswilson2, Aug 23, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

On-tap at Capital Ale House. I ordered a pint on special for $2 at the bar and it appeared a clear gold with a short white head. I was anticipating this one, but on the first sip it's obvious this beer is racked full of diacetyl. What a shame, there's no place for it to hide in a light beer like this that is otherwise smooth and drinkable.

tempest, Mar 03, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

Like most lagers that I've had, this is lacking in aroma. I get some grain qualities in it, but it's very subdued. It doesn't smell bad, it just lacks aroma.

The look of the beer is quite nice though. It's brightly clear with a big white foamy head and nice carbonation. Lacing isn't anything to write home about, but at least it's there.

Again, the flavor is pure grain. It starts with grain, mid palate is grain, and finish is super grainy. Nothing wrong with this, again, but I expected more.

The beer is light bodied with moderate carbonation and is super drinkable. It has a dry finish as well. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone but BMC drinkers that I'm trying to convert. It's just kind of plain.

tlazaroff, Feb 24, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -21.7%

Mild, malty note up front. Pours gold with a two-finger white head. Decent looking.

Carbonation is plentiful. A bit soapy and the malt presence is meager. The finish is a bit astringent and slightly too dry for something lacking in body. I wish there was a bit more sweetness or something floral or interesting in the finish -- something a bit more European.

It's not great but it is not bad. I wouldn't go out of my way, though.

Zraly, Sep 01, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this at a local pizza place (Uno's - they also serve Uno Amber, a pretty good beer made by the Boston Beer Co.) and it was not pleasant. Per the company's site, "This beer is brewed in the style of a premium export lager." I certainly hope premium exported lagers taste better than this.

Presented as a 20-oz. glass with zero head, the Bud Light-colored "premium export lager" had a malty aroma but, unfortunately, tasted terrible. I'm not sure if it had been sitting in the keg for some time, but it really disappointed. I kept thinking that I was drinking Bud Lite/Miller Lite/something-Lite. Flavor was really bland and was not impressive in the least.

After 3 attempts at drinking it, I asked the waiter to take it back and bring something else. I would like to try this again at the brewery's pub, just to see if I had a bad offering.

OldFrothingSlosh, Dec 30, 2002
2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks to jcwattsrugger for bringing this 22 oz. bootle from Virginia for me...

Pours straw yellow/ A large white foamy head descends in a rocky way.

The smell is yeasty with vague floral notes. Caramel and butterscotch mix in awkwardly.

The taste is of sweet grain, yeast, caramel and a touch of butterscotch. A bit salty, with a vague, non-descript hop bitter balance, though it remains sweet to the dryish finish.

Well, it has an adequate enough body for a lager, with a crisp touch.

A "homebrew" version of an American macro? I drank it, but some "odd" things about it (the chalky yeastiness, for example) make it less than impressive.

jwc215, Jun 03, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pilsner glass. Had a yellow color and a clear texture. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Not much lacing.

S: Not a great aroma: A little hops, some malt, and a lot of corn.

T: Tasted like it smelled: Far too much corn, with a dash of lemon thrown in. The level of hops and malt are not nearly enough to offset the corn. Not very pleasant.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slick finish. Light-bodied.

O: This is just not a great example of a low end style. Could have been better.

avalon07, Nov 29, 2011
2.7/5  rDev -19.6%

Thanks, Mike.

I slugged this out of the bottle over the course of an hour, and so while I didn't get to see what the beer looked like, I did get a sense of every other aspect. The nose is surprisingly hoppy, with plenty of citrus (orange ), a rather fruity yeast character and some light sugar and a little caramel. A little grassy as well. The palate opens moderately sweet with some cirtus hops, light bitterness and some sweetness. There's a mild, simple, sugary sweetness, along with a mild spicy hop character. Mild sweetness on the finish, along with some fruit, both from yeast and citrus hops. Again, there's the mildly powdery, chalky character I find in Cascases, but still, decent. Not the best lager I've had, and not particularly good for the style either.

DefenCorps, Nov 26, 2011

Samichez, Apr 30, 2012

KenC, Jul 01, 2012

VeganUndead, Oct 04, 2012

SlaughteredWolf, Jul 29, 2012

atrocity, Apr 29, 2014

mikejseal, Jun 03, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -17.3%

Served in a Budweiser pokal.

Once I knew for a fact that I was leaving the NoVa area (thank God...), I figured I'd snatch up as many semi-local Virginia brews I could get my hands on. This case in point pours a clear pale straw topped by over a finger of thick white fluff. The nose is actually pretty tinny, though some light wheat, corn, and floral hops come through as well. Not very pleasant at all. The taste holds notes of corn, wheat, light raspberries (say what!?), and floral hops. The body is very light, with a light moderate carbonation and a crisp finish. So, I'm not sure whether or not I got a bad bottle, but this was not all that good at all. I will try again, if I can, but this is thus far the worst brew I've yet come across from Legend. Boo this.

TMoney2591, Aug 23, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -16.7%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a medium golden yellow with an average sized (1-2 finger) white fizzy head that dissipated rapidly leaving a thin layer of foam lying on top, but did not have any good lacing to speak of.

The aroma was very mild of a grain malt, herbal hops and an earthy yeast with just a hint of caramel.

The taste was mildly sweet with a hint of caramel at first and then became very lightly hoppy towards the end. The flavor lasted only a short while after the swallow with not much of an aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a fizzy carbonation.

Overall a light tasting beer with a mild hop finish. Great if you want to have more than a few and do not want to feel blotted.

KajII, Jan 09, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a pale copper with a mountain of fizzy, dense, foamy, white head that has decent retention. The nose has a fruity sweetness, a note of something tart, hints of lager yeast, and a grassy aroma. The taste is fruity like a weird combination of blackberries and apples, there are notes of grassy, earthy hops that are almost spicy, and a lagery, lemony, yeasty finish. The mouthfeel is well carbonated, light, and smooth.

There is definitely something off about this one. For a lager there shouldn't be anything tart or fruity as there is here.

tdm168, Nov 18, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -12.8%

First of all, this is an all-malt lager, not a macro like it says here. Legend's website clearly points this out, so like it or not, that's what it is.

A- light golden color, decent head, very sparse lace that disappears quickly

S- caramel/butterscotch malt aroma, a tiny bit of floral hops detectable

T- big time butterscotch flavors, almost like I'm drinking liquid butter rum Lifesavers; minimal hop presence, hardly any bitterness; quite unusual, not sure if I like it

M- medium-bodied, slick and a little creamy; moderate carbonation; again, quite unusual

D- no problem finishing the bomber, but I'm not sure I'd want another

This is a very strange lager. There's an obvious diacetyl presence that I don't believe is characteristic of the style. It doesn't taste "clean" like I would expect a lager to taste. The mouthfeel is also quite strange for a lager; it's not crisp at all. It is interesting, but I'm not sure it's for me.

vtfan77, Mar 13, 2006
2.96/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a stemmed pilsner glass. Pours a deep transparent gold. Lots of bubbles rising through this, feeding the 2-finger width head. Aromas of wet grains, sugar cookies, lemon rind.

Crisp, clean mouth. Easy drinking, though this actually feels a bit heavier than expected. Sweet beer right off, bready flavors, some husk, and a touch of citrus noted. There's an odd flavor I can't place. Whatever it is, it make me think twice about having many of these on hand. There's so many better clean lighter beers I could get. Probably won't revisit this one.

Onenote81, Apr 26, 2013

tabascosigned, Aug 15, 2013

vwbus7, Jun 24, 2014
Lager from Legend Brewing Co.