Lager - Legend Brewing Co.

LagerLager

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

American Pale Lager |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 12-30-2002

A step above mass produced lager beers, Legend Lager offers the comfort of easy drinkability while also bringing a depth of flavor due to our use of 100% barley malt, yeilding a pure, bright malt flavor and a medium body. Modest hopping and cool fermentation temperatures make for a smooth character and a clean finish.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.97/5  rDev -12.4%

First of all, this is an all-malt lager, not a macro like it says here. Legend's website clearly points this out, so like it or not, that's what it is.

A- light golden color, decent head, very sparse lace that disappears quickly

S- caramel/butterscotch malt aroma, a tiny bit of floral hops detectable

T- big time butterscotch flavors, almost like I'm drinking liquid butter rum Lifesavers; minimal hop presence, hardly any bitterness; quite unusual, not sure if I like it

M- medium-bodied, slick and a little creamy; moderate carbonation; again, quite unusual

D- no problem finishing the bomber, but I'm not sure I'd want another

This is a very strange lager. There's an obvious diacetyl presence that I don't believe is characteristic of the style. It doesn't taste "clean" like I would expect a lager to taste. The mouthfeel is also quite strange for a lager; it's not crisp at all. It is interesting, but I'm not sure it's for me. (952 characters)

Poured into a pint glass @ Chiocca's in Richmond.

Appearance: A slightly hazy yellow, some decent lacing and a decent initial foamy head.

Smell: Lots of caramel in the body, which is both odd and extremely pleasant. There's certainly some hop presence to add the bitterness, and some sweet malts too from the caramel, I suppose.

Taste: Once again, a nice and odd mix between the bitterness of the hops and the caramel of the malts. I've never really had a lager like this, and it's a pretty good one at that.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, but the body is slightly thicker than what one may initially perceive the lager to be. Still pleasant to drink as it warms.

Drinkability: A great session beer if you see it on tap in Richmond. As I said, I think it's a pretty singular lager, very refreshing, and one that I never really get sick of in the least. (873 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

A slightly hazy, yellow-gold body is topped by a good-sized head of bright white foam that shortly drops to a collar but leaves some very nice lace. The nose displays a sweet, grainy malt backed by delicate, floral and grassy hops. Its medium-light body is accentuated by a very fine carbonation that lends it a gentle crispness in the mouth. The flavor almost seamlessly melds the sweetish, grainy malt with grassy/floral/spicy hops; and it seems to just fade away in the finish. Impressive balance! Great drinkability! An impressive session lager that falls somewhere between a helles and a pils; but it doesn't have the strength or bitterness of the export style that they suggest it is. Quite nice! (702 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I had this at a local pizza place (Uno's - they also serve Uno Amber, a pretty good beer made by the Boston Beer Co.) and it was not pleasant. Per the company's site, "This beer is brewed in the style of a premium export lager." I certainly hope premium exported lagers taste better than this.

Presented as a 20-oz. glass with zero head, the Bud Light-colored "premium export lager" had a malty aroma but, unfortunately, tasted terrible. I'm not sure if it had been sitting in the keg for some time, but it really disappointed. I kept thinking that I was drinking Bud Lite/Miller Lite/something-Lite. Flavor was really bland and was not impressive in the least.

After 3 attempts at drinking it, I asked the waiter to take it back and bring something else. I would like to try this again at the brewery's pub, just to see if I had a bad offering. (853 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Lager from Legend Brewing Co.