Hopfest - Legend Brewing Co.

HopfestHopfest

Legend Brewing Co. visit their website
Virginia, United States

Legend Hopfest begins with a sturdy barley malt background including Munich and aromatic malts, as well as a few medium kilned malts producing a rich , deep orange colored beer. Step two, the hops; Hopfest sports a distinct pine/fruit aroma. Expect an intensely flavored brew, with hop flavor lasting throughout. There is a toasty, earthy background, adding a rich, malty dimension to the long finish. The end result is a full flavored IPA with a strong malt backbone and long satisfying hop finish.

(Beer added by: OldFrothingSlosh on 01-28-2003)

Beershack, Jul 13, 2014

alysmith4, Jan 09, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

parris, Jun 26, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -24%

Presentation: Twelve-ounce serving lovingly poured into a plastic cup.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear, deep red with a minimal off-white head. Almost no lacing to be seen. Like the porter I had, I’m not going to mark this too harshly due to the lack of actual glassware.

Smell: Citrusy and floral hops. Grassy. Yeah, that’s a boatload of grapefruit. Not remarkable, but not offensive. OK.

Taste: Did I say grapefruit? Grapefruit is the strongest note here, and this baby milks it for all it’s worth. But it’s not all that pleasant. Grapefruit would be all well and good, but this is more like biting into a nice, overripe ruby red grapefruit rind. I know there’s more here, but it’s tough to grasp other flavors through the rind. Caramel? Pine, perhaps? It’s tough to get more than a glimpse. Of course, the alcohol is somewhat easier to notice.

Mouthfeel: I’ve rarely had a beer that I would call “soapy.” This is one of them. It’s not especially bad in of itself, but I’m not impressed.

Drinkability: Moderate drinkability. This brew suffers from the overpowering grapefruit rind flavor which gets increasingly unpleasant as it’s drunk. Could be worse, but could be much better.

Notes: I’ve been told up and down not to be misled by the name of this brew. I’m a closet hophead and when I read “hopfest,” my expectations are that much higher. Perhaps in the context of Legends I am not shocked that the beer did not quite live up to its name, but I really think they should have called it something else. I’ve had very few beers that I thought were deserving of haughty and self-congratulatory names like “hop heaven” and “hopfest.” Legends hopfest is no different.

RealityDeviant, Feb 27, 2006

LUCASRJ2002, Mar 25, 2012

VeganUndead, Mar 01, 2014

ygtbsm94, Aug 12, 2013

ZachKelly, Jan 13, 2014

brpendergast85, Mar 25, 2014

BigTrubble, Oct 05, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -18.2%

On-tap @ Legend 02/14/07. Served in a pint glass.

A- Amber. No head, hardly any lacing. How can you pour this from the tap @ the brewery and not have a good head?

S- Grapefruit, piney/resiny. Not much malt profile.

T- Hops and more hops. Mirrors the smell. Could use more malt balance. Dry, bitter finish.

M- Fairly carbonated. Light-Medium bodied.

D- One was plenty for me. Needs more malt to balance out the hops. I compare this to Nugget Nectar. When I asked about the beer before ordering it (i've never had it before), I was simply told it's a really hoppy beer. I also inquired about the abv and was told 6 something. I have some issues with Legend's service at times, but that's for another review. I won't be seeking this out any time soon.

roughsax, Feb 16, 2007
3.14/5  rDev -17.2%

First try of Legend's Hopfest.

I'm a Richmond guy, and fully support Legend (Loves me some Legend Brown!) and all other local breweries, but I'm not gonna pull any punches, here.

Lately all of Legend's offerings are tasting the same to me. AND getting really misleading with the names they are giving their brews.

I did not find "Hopfest" to be a hop fest at all. It was a VERY strong malt front end with some decent hop feel on the back end. The warmer it got, the more pronounced the malt.

Not a bad brew by any means - Just not what you would expect from the name. Strangely enough, it reminded me of a couple of their "IPA" offerings. To the point of me thinking it's just the same beer with a different label.

Would not buy again, and I'm starting to think Legend is coasting on their local rep.

GeoJ, Jul 18, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Legend

Clear copper pour with a small, wispy, white head; nothing really to mention as far as retention and lacing goes. Muted yet decent aroma of citrus/pine hops and caramel malts. Sweet caramel malt base came through first in the taste, with some citrus and pine hops coming in mid-palate, a lasting bitterness finishing off. Light-medium body. Okay, but nothing special. Still one of the better brews Legend had to offer, and that's not saying much.

Rifugium, May 25, 2013

virinow, Jun 18, 2013

FreshmanPour77, Sep 10, 2012

jrcook76, Jul 18, 2014

McBraniel, Jun 07, 2013

brother_kenneth, Mar 09, 2014

leftstagebrew, May 16, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours amber with off-white head. Chunk yeast sediment floats around --- a bit odd for style. Faint smell of hops and a touch of yeast.

Very much in the style of an English IPA. Nice hop presence of citrus peel and a touch o' pine. Malty, bready backbone to hold the hops in place. Reasonably balanced and dry finish.

Nothing special but worth the try if you have access. I would be interested in trying this on tap at their Brewpub, and perchance will do so in the near future.

Would pair nicely with a cheddar soup and crusty bread.

Zraly, Dec 07, 2008
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

This was suggested to us by our waitress at the Capital Ale House in Richmond. I was somewhat hesitant to try it, given my bad experience with another Legend product (the Lager).

Appearance: Clear, deep red appearance. Minimal off-white head that just barely stuck to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A different mixture of grassy, citrusy, "earthen" hops.

Taste: An interesting flavor with this IPA. There was a malty-smoky flavor that was distinctly present along with the crispness of the hops. Surprising, given the name of this beer.

Mouthfeel: The combination of the hop bitterness and the creamy smoothness of the malt made for an above-average mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Certainly leaps and bounds better than the disappointing Legend Lager I had, this pale ale was smooth and didn't have much of an aftertaste or residual bitterness.

OldFrothingSlosh, Jan 28, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a nice shade of crimson amber, with a lovely fluffy off-white head, leaving a nice cushion after settling, and tons of lacing trailing behind. The aroma smells aggressively hopped, lots of citrus and pine hops. The taste comes off even more angry than the nose, a bit too much, just too much bite and not enough balance. Sure is aptly named. The mouth is fine, easy enough to drink. I'd say, dial the hopper back a few notches, and this would be a nice brew.

objectivemonkey, Oct 30, 2008
Hopfest from Legend Brewing Co.