Follow our progress ...

Added by StoutHunter on 07-23-2014

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 16
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

I picked up a can of Frankenmuth Brewing Company's Old Detroit Amber Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a hot day in Mid Michigan and a easy drinking Amber ale sounds good and I'm interested to see how this beer turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but i think it's pretty fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice old school look to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy amber color that took on more of mahogany like color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a slight amount of spotty lacing behind, This was a nice look Amber Ale, but I wish the head retention was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some grainy, slightly stale malts, and caramel malt like aromas with the sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a fruity yeast aroma with some dark fruit aromas coming through. The aroma was ok, but it was a little too sweet for the style with the sweet malts and fruity yeast not letting any other aspects come through.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with a slight bit of those stale malts still coming through and the sweet malts still seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the fruity ale yeast which imparts a noticeable dark fruit like flavor. I don't get any hop flavors and on the finish there's not bitterness with a little more sweetness showing up and it had a sweet malt, light caramel malt and fruity yeast like aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but I wish some more malty flavors showed up to balance out the sweet malts and fruity yeast.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, but it could use a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a average at best example of the style and it seemed to be a pretty run of the mill Amber Ale with nothing about it making it memorable. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, the sweetness and taste would start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both the highlights of this beer and they seemed to be fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and aroma, they got to be bland with just the sweet malts and fruity yeast showing up and they both need some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again since it's very easy to find a much better tasting Amber Ale and I can't say I would recommend this as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, which seems to be a theme for this brewery, I think this beer was based of an old recipe that was brewed by the original Brewery and while I like the idea it just didn't turn out that great. This for sure isn't my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style, but I've had worse. Better luck next time guys, this beer seems to be more of a gimmick than a tasty beer.

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

That has got to be one of the sharpest CANQuest pictures ever! I scored this during a visit to a college chum in Ann Arbor, MI & when a pic needed to be submitted & approved, it fell into the abyss. I am so happy to be able to finally review it!

From the CAN: "Uniquely brewed from the finest ingredients; Water, Barley Malt, Hops & Yeast."; "Quality Comes Standard"; "A distinct Amber Ale of exceptional taste, Old Detroit returns to its roots with its reputation firmly intact as a kick back and relax kind of beer."; "Named for a city that still takes a stand for quality, Old Detroit is crafted in small batches with a deep respect for the art of brewing."

I happily Crack!ed it open and CANmenced a gentle pour due to its relative age. I got a finger of fizzy, tawny head for my efforts, but it quickly sat back down. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was super-malty sweet! Whew! Syrup CAN be less sweet. Mouthfeel was thick and dense, like a dollop on the tongue. The taste was a throwback to the early days of craft brewing when every brewpub made an Amber Ale and they were all malt-driven. The modern revival of the style is more hop-forward, which I like, but this brought back pleasant memories.

I remember being intimidated to try Triple Rock Brewery's beers in 1987 when I first arrived in the Bay Area, but their Amber was just like this! I realized quickly that I liked imports, Anchor Steam (& others in their portfolio) and whatever Triple Rock was brewing. I was stationed & lived in Alameda so a trip to Berkeley was easy.

Back to this gem. Man, this was easy drinking! My trip down memory lane & I looked down & half or better of it was gone! I would absolutely put this in the cooler heading to one of MichiCAN's beaches. Oh, don't think that they have beaches, SoCal surfer boy/girl? Try Lake MichiCAN, for starters! There is a very real reason that I want to relocate to the Midwest.

Finish was semi-sweet, not cloying at all, which is what the nose had led me to expect. Don't expect earth-shattering results from this beer, but don't turn your nose up at it, either.

3.21/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

3.47/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. some kind of code on the bottom, but unclear as to the date

pours a deep copper amber color, with orange highlights, but basically no head. very sweet aroma - toffee, butterscotch, maybe some fruitiness - berries. taste is sweet too, although maybe not as much as expected from the aroma. fruity aftertaste. medium bodied, lower carbonation, coats the mouth.

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.94/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.86/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Old Detroit Amber Ale from Frankenmuth Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.