Old Detroit Amber Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Old Detroit Amber Ale
No picture uploaded.

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 07-23-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.05/5  rDev -6.7%

I picked up a can of Frankenmuth Brewing Company's Old Detroit Amber Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a hot day in Mid Michigan and a easy drinking Amber ale sounds good and I'm interested to see how this beer turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but i think it's pretty fresh. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice old school look to it and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a cloudy amber color that took on more of mahogany like color when held to the light with a little over a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left a slight amount of spotty lacing behind, This was a nice look Amber Ale, but I wish the head retention was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some grainy, slightly stale malts, and caramel malt like aromas with the sweet malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the yeast which imparts a fruity yeast aroma with some dark fruit aromas coming through. The aroma was ok, but it was a little too sweet for the style with the sweet malts and fruity yeast not letting any other aspects come through.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with a slight bit of those stale malts still coming through and the sweet malts still seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the fruity ale yeast which imparts a noticeable dark fruit like flavor. I don't get any hop flavors and on the finish there's not bitterness with a little more sweetness showing up and it had a sweet malt, light caramel malt and fruity yeast like aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, but I wish some more malty flavors showed up to balance out the sweet malts and fruity yeast.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, but it could use a little less carbonation.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I thought it was a average at best example of the style and it seemed to be a pretty run of the mill Amber Ale with nothing about it making it memorable. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, crisp, not filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, the sweetness and taste would start to wear on me after that. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both the highlights of this beer and they seemed to be fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and aroma, they got to be bland with just the sweet malts and fruity yeast showing up and they both need some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again since it's very easy to find a much better tasting Amber Ale and I can't say I would recommend this as a good example of the style. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, which seems to be a theme for this brewery, I think this beer was based of an old recipe that was brewed by the original Brewery and while I like the idea it just didn't turn out that great. This for sure isn't my favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a favorite of the style, but I've had worse. Better luck next time guys, this beer seems to be more of a gimmick than a tasty beer.

StoutHunter, Jul 23, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +7%

HardyA, Aug 03, 2014
Old Detroit Amber Ale from Frankenmuth Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.