Frankenmuth Oktoberfest - Frankenmuth Brewery

good

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.27% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-27-2004)
Reviews by GRPunk:
4.18/5  rDev +18.8%

Bottle poured into a Siciliano's mug. Surprised it was a twist top after prying it off.

A- A 1-finger, khaki head settles to a ful film (about 1/4-finger). Clean, copper body showcases medium-heavy carbonation. There are some awesome sticky rings left behind on this one.

S- It comes off as very balanced at first. Sweet, bready/doughy malts mix with light, leafy hops that are crisp and slightly spicy. It could be a little more robust, though warmth helps in that regard.

T- More caramel than the aroma suggests. There's also a bready or doughy quality to the malt profile. The malts are nicely balanced by plentiful (for the style), spicy hops. It does stay on the malt side, as it should.

M- Great feel. It's clean, yet toothy. Full bodied with medium-heavy carbonation. Just what I look for in the style. Dryish finish.

O- It's a good example of the style. There's more balance than the very common caramel-malt bombs I've run into. Frankenmuth continues to sell me on the idea that they can put together some great German style beers. This one is very sessionable. It could become a "go-to" Oktoberfest for me.

GRPunk, Sep 18, 2011

beerhunter13, Feb 17, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours a beautiful clear copper with more than a finger of creamy tan head. Head has good retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Toasted grain and caramel malts are predominant. Also some spicy hops. Smells pretty good, clean and simple.

T - Spicy hops are more prominant in the taste than the smell. Still, nice balance with the toasted grain, with the caramel malt taking a back seat. More spicy hops than my favorite Oktoberfests, but pretty enjoyable.

M - Medium mouthfeel with a crisp, dry finish.

O - Doesn't standout in any particular way, but a pretty good beer that I would have again.

warnerry, Sep 11, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A little too tart for my taste, not my favorite Oktoberfest but one I wouldn't mind having from time to time.

barhoc11, Sep 16, 2014

BuckeyeSlim, Sep 29, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Mildly hazed brass.

SMELL: Toasted grain, yeast, bread, spicy hop, flour, doughy biscuits.

TASTE: Smooth, clean, very toasty, dried grass, herbal, spice, light grainy biscuit, lemony hop, fresh.

Perhaps a little rough around the edges but I can get past that real quick with a malt character that make me think. I'll have not problem quaffing back the other bottles I have sooner than I think. A great O-fest.

Jason, Oct 06, 2011
3.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This Oktoberfest is a sort of coppery-brown, murky in color but fairly clear. The head is more of a wispy foam, or at least it lasts longer as that than its very original form. Mottled lace is left behind sparsely.
There's a lightly grainy edge in the nose, but more toast than anything. There's a bready element to strengthen the malt foundation and a bit of herbal hop leaf to balance. It takes on a bit of mineral, and is a little rough around the edges with minimal sweetness, but it works well.
The flavor is, like the aroma, mainly toasty with some doughier notes, but set alongside it it equal strength is some citrus, more zest (peel) than anything and more orange/grapefruit than sour or tangy. It's also balanced by leafier/herbal hops. There's a little nut, and a touch of grass lingers softly.
The feel is nice and clean with a smooth flow and a nice, strong crispness that's not too hard for the medium body.

Brenden, Dec 01, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Picked up a single at Abe's Cold Beer. Eh, not a lot to say about this one. It has a clean, smooth bready caramel malt character with touches of toast and fruit juice. The finish is dry and the body is appropriately balanced for decent drinkability. It's similar to the Munich classics, but with a little less depth. Not a bad beer at all. I wouldn't mind having a fresh pint.

tempest, Apr 24, 2012

DrDoitchbig, Nov 15, 2011

ryanwashere, Sep 28, 2012

DMarlinJ, Sep 08, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Last week I picked up a six pack of Frankenmuth Oktoberfest at Krogers for $9.99. I'm in the mood for an Oktoberfest tonight so I thought that I would try my local brewery's example to see how it stacks up to the rest. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a mug.

A- The label is pretty plain and simple with the typical blue and white Oktoberfest pattern, I really like the custom caps for this beer, they look really nice. It poured a nice light caramel copper color that was pretty clear. It had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a rocky fingers worth that left lots of nice spotty lacing that all in all made for a good looking Oktoberfest.

S- The aroma is pretty light and subtle. It starts off with a good amount of bready malts along with a bit of caramel malts. The aroma is pretty sweet, it may be the sweetest smelling Oktoberfest I have encountered. The hops are noticeable and provide some good balance, they smell like a half in half mixture of spicy and earthy/grassy hops. The aroma has good balance, but it isn't the most interesting.

T- The taste starts of with that nice mixture of caramel and bready malts that I picked up in the aroma, but when it comes to the taste the caramel malts seem to stick out the most, but this beer still keeps a pretty prominent bready flavor and it isn't nearly as sweet as the aroma was. The hops are earthy and spicy, it seems like they lean more toward the spicy side which along with the larger hops presence makes this beer stick out from some of the more traditional Oktoberfests. The finish was more bitter then most, but it wasn't over the top.

M- Crisp, clean, medium bodied and carbonation was on the high side but I really liked it and I thought it worked very well, the mouthfeel of this beer is how a good Oktoberfest should be.

Overall I feel like this is a good Oktoberfest, but compared to others it's just slightly above average. There's nothing off or wrong about this beer but as far as the flavor and aroma go they feel a little subdued, I know this isn't the most flavorful style but I have had other ones that have managed to squeeze out more flavor, so I know it can be done. The flavors and aromas that were there were nice and true to the style and they were balanced well even with the more larger hops profile that this beer had, I liked that and I wouldn't change it, but a little more caramel malts to go along with those hops would have been perfect. As in any properly done Oktoberfest, this beer has great drinkability, a six pack of this wouldn't be hard to make disappear when I am in the Oktoberfest mood. What I liked most about this beer was the Mouthfeel, it was perfect for it's style, it also had a very good appearance. What I like least about this beer was the aroma, it was a duller then most. I don't think I would choose this over some of the other Oktoberfest's, I like to buy local but when Samuel Adams Oktoberfest is cheaper and tastier, Frankenmuth Oktoberfest gets overlooked. This beer is worth a try but it isn't really a stand out for it's style. Not a bad beer but so far it's my least favorite offering from the Frankenmuth Brewery, but I think with a couple tweaks in the recipe this beer could hold its own with some of the big dogs, the hop profile is a stand out and I like that.

StoutHunter, Sep 24, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Frankenmuth Oktoberfest pours a very clear orange amber color that is on the lighter side of the marzen spectrum. It has a nice beige head that has excellent retention and leaves equally nice lace on the sides of the mug.

The aroma is bready and sweet with a big dose of caramel sweetness. This brew does not seem as toasty or grainy as some other examples of the style.

The flavor mimics the aroma in that it is very sweet with loads of caramel. There is also a bit of toffee and a slightly earthy hop character. There is a very small amount of graininess but other than that it is a pretty clean brew. My only gripe is that this beer seems exceedingly sweet for style.

The mouthfeel is medium with a soft carbonation. The finish is much like most of the other aspects of the beer, meaning that the caramel plays a big part.

Overall this is a pretty drinkable beer that does not really have anything wrong with it. As I mentioned before I find it a bit on the sweet side, but it is not a deal breaker. I can’t say I would seek this out again, but I would also not be upset if it was offered to be at a sausage fest.

zoso1967, Oct 29, 2011

Zaphog, Apr 03, 2013

nitter, Oct 30, 2012

marcb105, Oct 06, 2013

JALIEN, Nov 26, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -13.4%

A - Pours a pale copper with a one finger white head and no lacing.

S - Smell wasn't very impressive for the style, Bread, Slight Munich malt, Maybe a little bit of toast as well.

T - Bread, Toast, feint grapes, lightly toasted malt

M - Smooth creamy light body with low carbonation. Probably the best thing about this beer.

O - Overall, This is an average Oktoberfest, and an average beer in general. I will avoid in the future unless handed one.

SometimesIfart, Oct 12, 2012