2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Frankenmuth Red Sky AleFrankenmuth Red Sky Ale

good

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

Irish Red Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 07-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 54 | Reviews: 18 | Show All Ratings:
StoutHunter

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

I picked up a bottle of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale yesterday for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I thought I would give the Red Ale from my local brewery a try, it has been a while since I had a good Red Ale so I hope this one doesn't disappoint. As usual with The Frankenmuth Brewery there is no bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer doesn't look that bad, the font fits the bottle nicely and it had a nice cap similar to their Oktoberfest cap. It poured a Dark and hazy amber red color with one and a half fingers worth of off white head that quickly disappeared. Not the greatest looking red.

S- The aroma is pretty much all lightly toasted caramel malts and biscuit malts, the biscuit aroma sticks out the most. I couldn't pick up any hops in the aroma of this beer which made for a pretty bland and one dimensional aroma.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma, that's not a good thing. The taste is dominated by lots of lightly toasted caramel malts that have a slight bit of fruitiness to them, but not much. There are no hops to be found in the flavor of this beer, this makes for a pretty bland and boring flavor, there is just not enough there to hold my attention. The finish had no bitterness at all.

M- Crisp, clean, fizzy, and highly carbonated. The body was on the light side of medium.

Overall I was pretty unimpressed with this brew and I thought it was slightly below average. As a whole this beer was very one dimensional, it was pretty much all malts, it needed some hops to balance out all the malts. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, besides being a little too fizzy it was pretty spot on. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, it was a one trick pony that only offered a bland malt flavor and nothing else. The lack of flavor hurts the drinkability a lot, yes I could drink another one, but with hardly any flavor to look forward to why would I want to. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there are many other better Red Ales easily available to me that I would much rather have then this bland attempt at the style, I'll take Samuel Adams Irish Red any day over this beer, I also wouldn't recommend this to anyone. This is a miss from The Frankenmuth Brewery and so far my least favorite beer I have had from them and the worst Irish Red Ale I have had to date. You guys may want to stick with the German styles cause this isn't working.

09-27-2011 03:29:29 | More by StoutHunter
BDIMike

2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

Pours a completely clear dark red ale. There is very little carbonation and only the thinnest layer of a white head is created and goes away immediately.
Smell has a lot of dark malts to it. A sweet malt smell with some dark fruits, like prunes and raisins, a little plum.
Taste doesn't have a ton going on. Dark fruits and a strong plum taste. Not much beyond that.
Mouthfeel does not have a ton going on. Very thin with no feel.
Drinkability is okay on this thing. It is easy drinking, but not much to the taste, so not sure you would want to drink much of this beer.

10-17-2012 00:42:10 | More by BDIMike
jale

2.58/5  rDev -22.8%

A: Pours a dark cloudy amber with two quarters of tan head.

S: Minimal toasted malt and just a hint of hops.

T: Very light toasted malt leading into some fruity esters and a hint of hop bitterness.

M: Light body with decent carbonation.

O: Thin on flavor. One and done.

04-29-2011 03:17:07 | More by jale
masey222

2.68/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a crimson orange and looked like soda the way the carbonation was sticking to the glass, had no head and no film so not that impressed...
the flavor and smell were reminiscent of a really malty brown, sweet, carmel malts and peanut brittle-esque flavor, to me a bit off for a red ale almost a stick to your lips sweetness...
the mouth feel was, full, sweet, and as I said before the sweetness makes your lips sticky...
To me the only thing that makes this red a red is the color if you gave me a pint with a blind fold on I wouldn't know it wasn't a brown, there is just no hop that I am used to coming in a red ale...

12-06-2010 03:11:22 | More by masey222
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the second time I have had this beer, and I was equally disappointed. Thankfully, I was not the one that brought this to the bottle share. The beer poured a dark red color with a very slight aroma that could best be described as metallic. The taste is also faint. Though there are some sweet malts present with a hint of bitterness, the taste does not create a strong impression. In the aftertaste, on senses the malts becoming somewhat sour but nondescript. In my personal notes, I wrote the word "boring" from the first time I sampled this beer. I would say that adjective still applies.

06-07-2013 23:07:02 | More by JohnnyHopps
bluHatter

2.83/5  rDev -15.3%

A: Nice rich apple cider red with a giant foamy head that quickly recedes, leaving behind only minimal lacing.

S: Spicy hops and crisp apple malts. There's an old sharpness to it.

T: Sharp tart and sour apples, light maltiness

M: Nice foamy carbonation that really gives it good texture and helps to bring out the flavor more. Fairly well rounded medium body.

O: A distinctly tart irish ale that's a welcome change of pace from the average.

03-29-2012 03:09:18 | More by bluHatter
tbdkev

Indiana

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Beer pours rust to copper with a fair amount of lacing. The aroma hints at some sweet malt flavors, perhaps honey or molasses. Unfortunately, none of these flavors make an appearance. The initial taste is metallic, gradually fading to a faint but unpleasant bitterness that lingers. Mouthfeel is standard for an ale. Red Sky starts promising, but ultimately comes up short.

06-07-2013 18:32:43 | More by tbdkev
Beaver13

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

From a (very fancy) growler. Pours hazy orange amber with a couple of bubbles for a head.

The aroma is sweet nutty caramel malts and toffee.

The flavor is sweet nutty toasted caramel malts with a little balancing bitterness and a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very watery texture that washes out the flavors.

Overall, a decent nutty red. Nothing special...but a really sweet (but expensive) growler.

Serving type: growler

07-12-2010 03:48:43 | More by Beaver13
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

From my haulback from Michigan:

Into a pint glass:

A: dark red colored body that gives a small one finger white head that dies gently within thirty seconds. Though the body is clear, no carbonation is seen rising. Some light spider web lacing is left.

S: some malts up front with some slight hops in the background.

T: sharp with some maltiness flowing around on the tongue.

M: light to medium with nothing sharp on the tongue, sessionable.

O: not a bad Irish Red, kinda a different take on the style, but still enjoyable for the most part. I'd probably have it again if I moved west, but don't need to have it again, just not a standout, that's all.

10-12-2012 00:00:30 | More by BeerKangaroo
B967ierhunter177

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer pours a bold, clear copper with no head or lasting lace. The aroma is caramel with some hints of wood and grass. The flavor leads off with caramel and nuts followed by bread crust and a mild hop bitterness. It's mouthfeel is light-medium, drier than most Irish reds. Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale is a decent beer, recommended.

09-08-2012 02:09:57 | More by B967ierhunter177
Alextricity

3.29/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: A crystal clear dark amber/brown color with about two fingers worth of a somewhat creamy and bubbly head. Lacing is actually really quite nice, considering the lack of much of a head.

Smell: When I first cracked the bottle open, I got a whiff of soy sauce. That smell at least faded away. Afterwards, I didn't get much else. A faint note of malt with a metallic smell as well. Very "blah".

Taste/feel: Quite muted, like the aroma. Pretty sweet with malts, and dark fruits or something like that. The biggest turn off for me here is what I seem to get in some beers -- a Diet Coke aftertaste. Not to say it tastes like Coke, but it has that artificial sweetener taste. Maybe some sort of fruit extract? I don't know. Not a very interesting beer, but quite drinkable... it would be much MORE drinkable if it weren't for that fake sugar taste. The feel on this beer is the best part about it... pretty lightly carbonated with a somewhat creamy feel.

Overall, it's just not that great of a beer. Bad by no means, but the beer would be much better if it had more of an aroma to it, and didn't have that odd, unnatural tasting aftertaste.

03-17-2013 15:03:30 | More by Alextricity
david131

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%

A- An ever so slightly hazy red liquid with some orange highlights. The head is thin and splotchy.

S- Apples, smoke, grain, and toasted wheat bread.

T- Apples, smoke caramel, grain, and toast. Right on target for a simple red ale.

M- A nice body with a solid amount of carbonation that is right where it should be.

D- A very solid take on the style, although it is not very memorable. Drinks nicely.

02-04-2011 04:42:57 | More by david131
scruffwhor

3.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to n8dietz for picking up an otherwise unobtainable beer for me from his trip to Michigan.

Copper colored amber with small bits of sediment in the bottom of my glass. Very quick head and no residual foam after a few sips. OK bubbling.

The aroma is tart yeasty fruit and toasted caramel and crystal malts. Pretty simple.

Tart yeast flaors from start too finish. Not overwhelming for the style, just a constant base flavor and mouthfeel that is well integrated with the malty flavors of this beer. Hints of caramel and biscuits abound in step with the tart backbone. The tartness lingers, but it sorta makes you want to take another sip.

Interesting Amber ale that is a Summer session ale in my book. Especially if you palate enjoys teh more tart side of the taste spectrum.

07-24-2011 17:31:14 | More by scruffwhor
BeerAdvocate

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Rusty red color, hazed over, though the topping of head is impressive. Hint of caramel in the nose with some maraschi- no cherry, toasted bread and a bit of yeast. Super smooth, medium bodied. Twang from the yeast fades quickly, and a toasted malt sweetness comes forth. Hops are modest but aim for balance. Fruity and yeasty in the middle. Maltiness stays clean and runs from sweet to toasted, to mildly biscuity. Malty finish lands semisweet. It is what it is—a malt bomb of sorts, and a damn good rendition of an Irish Red Ale at that.

12-15-2011 02:31:54 | More by BeerAdvocate
Knapp85

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

This beer poured out as a nice deep red color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of the beer has some roasted malt aromas as well as some sweet caramel as well. The taste of the beer is much like the nose, the toasted malts and the caramel come through with a nice crisp hoppy finish. The mouthfeel of the beer was carbonated nicely with a decent body to it. Overall I found this one to be pretty good.

03-09-2012 04:17:15 | More by Knapp85
RblWthACoz

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Even though I saw the ratings on this one before I did a write-up, I was still excited to try it out. The others I've had of Frankenmuth were impressive.

This seems mildly belgian to me, odd enough as it is to say. The amber ale tones are definitely there, but it's a little tight, in my opinion. I'd like it to be more open and slightly more vibrant. But it's still an alright ale to be drinkin'. Hmmm. I sound like a pirate. I be drinkin' this here ale. Arrrhhhh.

P.S. This is better when warm.

08-25-2012 18:06:38 | More by RblWthACoz
Lauthaha

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass. Part of a sampler pack from Frankenmuth Brewery.

Appearance: Beer pours a medium-amber color with a low level of carbonation visible through the glass. Head diminishes to a thin layer on the surface of the glass leaving minimal lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Sourly bitter. A bright caramel malt nose with some pungent citrus and/or bitter hop tones involved. Almost a tea-like quality to it. Smells a lot like a Marzen. It took a minute to grow on me, I initially was unpleased with the scent.

Taste: Just before the beer hits my tongue, I sense a very citrus-fruit-like presence. The hops are played up in this one, it seems, and there are some interesting spices at work here...most likely nutmeg and/or coriander. Lots of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Beer is bready, very fizzy on the tongue. After a moment, it become very light on the palate. Rinses nearly clean, leaving a tingling on the tongue and just a touch of bitterness.

Drinkability: It's okay that there were three of these in the sampler pack...I will drink them.

Not a bad brew. On another day, I might have given this a better score...but as I said, not a bad brew.

01-17-2011 21:58:23 | More by Lauthaha
HeavyMetalBrew

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

A: The appearance is good, with a russet color. The head doesn't last, but there is a nice lacing.

S: The first thing I smelled was bread alongside some spicy hops.

T: Grainy, bready flavor with caramel malts. There is definitely an apple-ish flavor in there.

M: Carbonated medium-well. A little too much, but not anything bad.

Overall: I really like this beer. It's nothing special, but it's a good beer for the style and perfect for sipping on while it's warm out.

06-12-2011 21:47:05 | More by HeavyMetalBrew