Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Frankenmuth Red Sky AleFrankenmuth Red Sky Ale

good

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

Irish Red Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 07-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale Alström Bros
t0rin0

10-01-2012 00:24:24 | More by t0rin0
ygtbsm94

06-08-2013 03:17:26 | More by ygtbsm94
Knapp85

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer poured out as a nice deep red color with a cream colored head on top. The smell of the beer has some roasted malt aromas as well as some sweet caramel as well. The taste of the beer is much like the nose, the toasted malts and the caramel come through with a nice crisp hoppy finish. The mouthfeel of the beer was carbonated nicely with a decent body to it. Overall I found this one to be pretty good.

03-09-2012 04:17:15 | More by Knapp85
RblWthACoz

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Even though I saw the ratings on this one before I did a write-up, I was still excited to try it out. The others I've had of Frankenmuth were impressive.

This seems mildly belgian to me, odd enough as it is to say. The amber ale tones are definitely there, but it's a little tight, in my opinion. I'd like it to be more open and slightly more vibrant. But it's still an alright ale to be drinkin'. Hmmm. I sound like a pirate. I be drinkin' this here ale. Arrrhhhh.

P.S. This is better when warm.

08-25-2012 18:06:38 | More by RblWthACoz
Latarnik

05-30-2014 15:53:37 | More by Latarnik
scruffwhor

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to n8dietz for picking up an otherwise unobtainable beer for me from his trip to Michigan.

Copper colored amber with small bits of sediment in the bottom of my glass. Very quick head and no residual foam after a few sips. OK bubbling.

The aroma is tart yeasty fruit and toasted caramel and crystal malts. Pretty simple.

Tart yeast flaors from start too finish. Not overwhelming for the style, just a constant base flavor and mouthfeel that is well integrated with the malty flavors of this beer. Hints of caramel and biscuits abound in step with the tart backbone. The tartness lingers, but it sorta makes you want to take another sip.

Interesting Amber ale that is a Summer session ale in my book. Especially if you palate enjoys teh more tart side of the taste spectrum.

07-24-2011 17:31:14 | More by scruffwhor
BeerAdvocate

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Rusty red color, hazed over, though the topping of head is impressive. Hint of caramel in the nose with some maraschi- no cherry, toasted bread and a bit of yeast. Super smooth, medium bodied. Twang from the yeast fades quickly, and a toasted malt sweetness comes forth. Hops are modest but aim for balance. Fruity and yeasty in the middle. Maltiness stays clean and runs from sweet to toasted, to mildly biscuity. Malty finish lands semisweet. It is what it is—a malt bomb of sorts, and a damn good rendition of an Irish Red Ale at that.

12-15-2011 02:31:54 | More by BeerAdvocate
JohnK17

05-15-2012 22:25:38 | More by JohnK17
Beaver13

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

From a (very fancy) growler. Pours hazy orange amber with a couple of bubbles for a head.

The aroma is sweet nutty caramel malts and toffee.

The flavor is sweet nutty toasted caramel malts with a little balancing bitterness and a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very watery texture that washes out the flavors.

Overall, a decent nutty red. Nothing special...but a really sweet (but expensive) growler.

Serving type: growler

07-12-2010 03:48:43 | More by Beaver13
StoutHunter

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

I picked up a bottle of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale yesterday for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I thought I would give the Red Ale from my local brewery a try, it has been a while since I had a good Red Ale so I hope this one doesn't disappoint. As usual with The Frankenmuth Brewery there is no bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer doesn't look that bad, the font fits the bottle nicely and it had a nice cap similar to their Oktoberfest cap. It poured a Dark and hazy amber red color with one and a half fingers worth of off white head that quickly disappeared. Not the greatest looking red.

S- The aroma is pretty much all lightly toasted caramel malts and biscuit malts, the biscuit aroma sticks out the most. I couldn't pick up any hops in the aroma of this beer which made for a pretty bland and one dimensional aroma.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma, that's not a good thing. The taste is dominated by lots of lightly toasted caramel malts that have a slight bit of fruitiness to them, but not much. There are no hops to be found in the flavor of this beer, this makes for a pretty bland and boring flavor, there is just not enough there to hold my attention. The finish had no bitterness at all.

M- Crisp, clean, fizzy, and highly carbonated. The body was on the light side of medium.

Overall I was pretty unimpressed with this brew and I thought it was slightly below average. As a whole this beer was very one dimensional, it was pretty much all malts, it needed some hops to balance out all the malts. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, besides being a little too fizzy it was pretty spot on. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, it was a one trick pony that only offered a bland malt flavor and nothing else. The lack of flavor hurts the drinkability a lot, yes I could drink another one, but with hardly any flavor to look forward to why would I want to. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there are many other better Red Ales easily available to me that I would much rather have then this bland attempt at the style, I'll take Samuel Adams Irish Red any day over this beer, I also wouldn't recommend this to anyone. This is a miss from The Frankenmuth Brewery and so far my least favorite beer I have had from them and the worst Irish Red Ale I have had to date. You guys may want to stick with the German styles cause this isn't working.

09-27-2011 03:29:29 | More by StoutHunter
david131

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

A- An ever so slightly hazy red liquid with some orange highlights. The head is thin and splotchy.

S- Apples, smoke, grain, and toasted wheat bread.

T- Apples, smoke caramel, grain, and toast. Right on target for a simple red ale.

M- A nice body with a solid amount of carbonation that is right where it should be.

D- A very solid take on the style, although it is not very memorable. Drinks nicely.

02-04-2011 04:42:57 | More by david131

BrewtalHonesty

04-10-2014 00:09:25 | More by BrewtalHonesty
Alextricity

3.29/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a Samuel Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: A crystal clear dark amber/brown color with about two fingers worth of a somewhat creamy and bubbly head. Lacing is actually really quite nice, considering the lack of much of a head.

Smell: When I first cracked the bottle open, I got a whiff of soy sauce. That smell at least faded away. Afterwards, I didn't get much else. A faint note of malt with a metallic smell as well. Very "blah".

Taste/feel: Quite muted, like the aroma. Pretty sweet with malts, and dark fruits or something like that. The biggest turn off for me here is what I seem to get in some beers -- a Diet Coke aftertaste. Not to say it tastes like Coke, but it has that artificial sweetener taste. Maybe some sort of fruit extract? I don't know. Not a very interesting beer, but quite drinkable... it would be much MORE drinkable if it weren't for that fake sugar taste. The feel on this beer is the best part about it... pretty lightly carbonated with a somewhat creamy feel.

Overall, it's just not that great of a beer. Bad by no means, but the beer would be much better if it had more of an aroma to it, and didn't have that odd, unnatural tasting aftertaste.

03-17-2013 15:03:30 | More by Alextricity

06-16-2014 01:31:42 | More by beerme626
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is the second time I have had this beer, and I was equally disappointed. Thankfully, I was not the one that brought this to the bottle share. The beer poured a dark red color with a very slight aroma that could best be described as metallic. The taste is also faint. Though there are some sweet malts present with a hint of bitterness, the taste does not create a strong impression. In the aftertaste, on senses the malts becoming somewhat sour but nondescript. In my personal notes, I wrote the word "boring" from the first time I sampled this beer. I would say that adjective still applies.

06-07-2013 23:07:02 | More by JohnnyHopps