Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Frankenmuth Red Sky AleFrankenmuth Red Sky Ale

good

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

Irish Red Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: Beaver13 on 07-12-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale Alström Bros
jz989

12-02-2011 16:17:15 | More by jz989
rsitarski

11-20-2011 22:18:32 | More by rsitarski
StoutHunter

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

I picked up a bottle of Frankenmuth Red Sky Ale yesterday for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I thought I would give the Red Ale from my local brewery a try, it has been a while since I had a good Red Ale so I hope this one doesn't disappoint. As usual with The Frankenmuth Brewery there is no bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer doesn't look that bad, the font fits the bottle nicely and it had a nice cap similar to their Oktoberfest cap. It poured a Dark and hazy amber red color with one and a half fingers worth of off white head that quickly disappeared. Not the greatest looking red.

S- The aroma is pretty much all lightly toasted caramel malts and biscuit malts, the biscuit aroma sticks out the most. I couldn't pick up any hops in the aroma of this beer which made for a pretty bland and one dimensional aroma.

T- The taste is very similar to the aroma, that's not a good thing. The taste is dominated by lots of lightly toasted caramel malts that have a slight bit of fruitiness to them, but not much. There are no hops to be found in the flavor of this beer, this makes for a pretty bland and boring flavor, there is just not enough there to hold my attention. The finish had no bitterness at all.

M- Crisp, clean, fizzy, and highly carbonated. The body was on the light side of medium.

Overall I was pretty unimpressed with this brew and I thought it was slightly below average. As a whole this beer was very one dimensional, it was pretty much all malts, it needed some hops to balance out all the malts. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, besides being a little too fizzy it was pretty spot on. What I liked least about this beer was the flavor, it was a one trick pony that only offered a bland malt flavor and nothing else. The lack of flavor hurts the drinkability a lot, yes I could drink another one, but with hardly any flavor to look forward to why would I want to. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there are many other better Red Ales easily available to me that I would much rather have then this bland attempt at the style, I'll take Samuel Adams Irish Red any day over this beer, I also wouldn't recommend this to anyone. This is a miss from The Frankenmuth Brewery and so far my least favorite beer I have had from them and the worst Irish Red Ale I have had to date. You guys may want to stick with the German styles cause this isn't working.

09-27-2011 03:29:29 | More by StoutHunter
scruffwhor

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to n8dietz for picking up an otherwise unobtainable beer for me from his trip to Michigan.

Copper colored amber with small bits of sediment in the bottom of my glass. Very quick head and no residual foam after a few sips. OK bubbling.

The aroma is tart yeasty fruit and toasted caramel and crystal malts. Pretty simple.

Tart yeast flaors from start too finish. Not overwhelming for the style, just a constant base flavor and mouthfeel that is well integrated with the malty flavors of this beer. Hints of caramel and biscuits abound in step with the tart backbone. The tartness lingers, but it sorta makes you want to take another sip.

Interesting Amber ale that is a Summer session ale in my book. Especially if you palate enjoys teh more tart side of the taste spectrum.

07-24-2011 17:31:14 | More by scruffwhor
HeavyMetalBrew

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

A: The appearance is good, with a russet color. The head doesn't last, but there is a nice lacing.

S: The first thing I smelled was bread alongside some spicy hops.

T: Grainy, bready flavor with caramel malts. There is definitely an apple-ish flavor in there.

M: Carbonated medium-well. A little too much, but not anything bad.

Overall: I really like this beer. It's nothing special, but it's a good beer for the style and perfect for sipping on while it's warm out.

06-12-2011 21:47:05 | More by HeavyMetalBrew
jale

2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

A: Pours a dark cloudy amber with two quarters of tan head.

S: Minimal toasted malt and just a hint of hops.

T: Very light toasted malt leading into some fruity esters and a hint of hop bitterness.

M: Light body with decent carbonation.

O: Thin on flavor. One and done.

04-29-2011 03:17:07 | More by jale
david131

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

A- An ever so slightly hazy red liquid with some orange highlights. The head is thin and splotchy.

S- Apples, smoke, grain, and toasted wheat bread.

T- Apples, smoke caramel, grain, and toast. Right on target for a simple red ale.

M- A nice body with a solid amount of carbonation that is right where it should be.

D- A very solid take on the style, although it is not very memorable. Drinks nicely.

02-04-2011 04:42:57 | More by david131
Lauthaha

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass. Part of a sampler pack from Frankenmuth Brewery.

Appearance: Beer pours a medium-amber color with a low level of carbonation visible through the glass. Head diminishes to a thin layer on the surface of the glass leaving minimal lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Sourly bitter. A bright caramel malt nose with some pungent citrus and/or bitter hop tones involved. Almost a tea-like quality to it. Smells a lot like a Marzen. It took a minute to grow on me, I initially was unpleased with the scent.

Taste: Just before the beer hits my tongue, I sense a very citrus-fruit-like presence. The hops are played up in this one, it seems, and there are some interesting spices at work here...most likely nutmeg and/or coriander. Lots of flavor.

Mouthfeel: Beer is bready, very fizzy on the tongue. After a moment, it become very light on the palate. Rinses nearly clean, leaving a tingling on the tongue and just a touch of bitterness.

Drinkability: It's okay that there were three of these in the sampler pack...I will drink them.

Not a bad brew. On another day, I might have given this a better score...but as I said, not a bad brew.

01-17-2011 21:58:23 | More by Lauthaha
masey222

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a crimson orange and looked like soda the way the carbonation was sticking to the glass, had no head and no film so not that impressed...
the flavor and smell were reminiscent of a really malty brown, sweet, carmel malts and peanut brittle-esque flavor, to me a bit off for a red ale almost a stick to your lips sweetness...
the mouth feel was, full, sweet, and as I said before the sweetness makes your lips sticky...
To me the only thing that makes this red a red is the color if you gave me a pint with a blind fold on I wouldn't know it wasn't a brown, there is just no hop that I am used to coming in a red ale...

12-06-2010 03:11:22 | More by masey222
Beaver13

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

From a (very fancy) growler. Pours hazy orange amber with a couple of bubbles for a head.

The aroma is sweet nutty caramel malts and toffee.

The flavor is sweet nutty toasted caramel malts with a little balancing bitterness and a touch of fruit. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with very watery texture that washes out the flavors.

Overall, a decent nutty red. Nothing special...but a really sweet (but expensive) growler.

Serving type: growler