Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde AleFrankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.75% ABV

(Beer added by: Lauthaha on 01-18-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
3.1/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

A: Hazy pale golden color, decent lacing seems to suffer after a while.

S: Flowery, grainy, doughy biscuit or shortbread. Tart?

T&M: Uniform crisp fluffy body. Dry malt character. Modest hopping. Dry breadiness. Vague tartness, yeasty. Finish is nearly bone dry.

O: Seems out of whack, over zealous yeast? Has potential, just needs to be cleaned up IMO.

Jason, Sep 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw color with 2 fingers of quickly dissipating head

S - some slightly biscuity malt and some faint floral hops; pretty subtle, but pleasant

T - slightly sweet and bready initially, giving way to a bit of spice through the middle and end; can't really place any specific spices though

M - a fuller mouthfeel than I was expecting; medium bodied and nicely carbonated

D - I was pleasantly surprised by this; an easy drinking beer that will probably drink even better in summer

warnerry, Feb 08, 2011

beer4brian331, Feb 03, 2013

SpartanHistory2013, Mar 18, 2012

HardyA, Apr 16, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +35.5%

I picked up a bottle of Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale yesterday for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a light and refreshing beer so I thought I would try the blonde from my local brewery. No visible bottling date, I wish they would date their bottles. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's a picture of the old covered bridge that goes over the Cass, I drive over this bridge all the time and I think it's cool that they put it on the label. It poured a slightly hazy golden yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that quickly dissipated to a very thin ring.

S- Wow the aroma wasn't what I was expecting from a blonde. It starts of with a very prominent fruit aroma that was made up of some green apples, pears, and a slight bit of banana. It also has an earthy straw and honey aroma that I usually find in mead. The pale malts impart a some nice bready aromas also.

T- The taste starts of with a slightly sweet bready and grainy flavor that really sticks out and sticks to your mouth, I like it. After that there is all those fruits that I picked up in the aroma with the green apples and pears sticking out the most. There was a little bit of yeasty spices along with that nice earthy straw and honey taste that stuck out in the aroma. The finish had a really light bitterness that helped round everything out.

M- Crisp, clean and medium light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation that could have been just a little higher.

Overall I thought this was a really good blonde ale that was way different from any other I have had. I really liked how unique the flavor and aroma were, you normally don't get much fruit flavors in a blonde but this one was full of them and the earthy straw and honey flavor added a nice complexity to this beer that I really enjoyed. This beer was one easy drinker, the combination of being smooth, light and flavor made for high drinkability, I wouldn't mind drinking four or five of these on the disc gold course. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, everything was pretty well done and I would for sure buy this again. If this is available to you I highly recommend you give it a try, it's unlike any other blonde. I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled to try this beer, lets just say the cass river name doesn't really exude quality, but I sure did eat my words once I tried it. I kind of have a grudge against the brewery for charging $40 dollars for an empty growler and being geared towards tourists, so I have never been to the brewery before even though it is only ten minutes away, but I did think their dunkle was good and this beer was excellent so I may have to swallow my pride some day and stop in their but for now I think I will just buy their bottles and stay away from brewery, but so far they have impressed me.

StoutHunter, Jun 27, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy gold yellow with a hint of orange color and a massive 2 finger foamy white head that's full of bubbles and fades quickly, leaving little or no lacing. It was a good looking beer until the lacing just flopped.

Smells of grains, light yeast, biscuit, bread, malt, apple, a hint of banana, herbs and a little funk; pretty soft nose overall and light but enjoyable.

Tastes of grains, yeast, biscuit, bread, sweet malt, sour apple, light banana, clove, herbs or tea, light floral hops, and a little sour funk that must be from all the yeast at the bottom of the bottle. The sweetness is subdued by the grains, and the hops and herbs really play a minor part and keep the flavor pretty basic.

Mouthfeel is very light and crisp, with a smooth feel on the tongue, mild carbonation and a dry sour finish that's on the funky side. Not the most exciting beer, nor the most flavorful, but a good session beer that beats all the mass produced brews out there and it’s nice to see another good effort from a US craft brewer.

CHickman, Sep 24, 2011

Bubba569, Mar 02, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +12.3%

I've reviewing this as a saison, because that's what it is.

This pours a hazy, particulate laden hazy straw with a loosely packed white head. On the nose there are banana and clove with some yeasty bread. In the mouth there is a slight tartness with bright banana flavors coming out in a long finish. The body is medium light, totally drinkable, and if this were available out here, it might be a summer beer of choice for me. Drinkability is very high with this.

Overall, this was a totally unexpected treat. I think this is miscategorized as a blonde ale, but as a saison it's surprisingly good. This well exceeded my expectations.

EricCioe, Mar 01, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a slightly hazy blond/ orange liquid with a few streams of carbonation making their way to the surface. The white head settles to a few splotches on the surface.

S- Light fruit, flowers, a bit of pepper, and honey. A bit delicate, but enjoyable.

T- Light fruit such as apples and pears with some strawberry tossed in. There is a bready aspect to it that is very nice.

M- Very full and creamy with a large amount of carbonation but it is not foamy.

D- A very enjoyable take on the style that would make a great session beer. Highly recommended.

david131, Feb 04, 2011

Gtg642, Oct 20, 2012

Amberluvsbeer, Jun 28, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +24.4%

This is a pretty easy drinking blonde. The sweet tones are pretty prevalent. There is a mild acidic tone to it. Lots of carbonation to it, it seems. A mild metallic tone hits on the back end. This is a pretty good blonde. Definitely different than what most people are putting out. It carries a lot more flavor and profile than is typical. I dig it. I could go for a few more of these if I was just looking for some beers to pound.

RblWthACoz, Aug 25, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

Dyerseve, Feb 10, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +28%

Extrajoker00, May 30, 2012

duceswild, Aug 29, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass. Part of a Frankenmuth Brewery sampler pack.

Appearance: Beer pours a murky golden color; through the translucence, only light carbonation is visible. Initially, the head is raging and abundant, but it fizzles down to near-nothingness fairly quickly and leaves behind almost no lacing whatsoever. Looks like a heavier witbier.

Smell: Similar in texture to PBR. Very corny up front, but the redemption comes in the form of a gentle, sweet malt backbone. Almost a "bubble-gum" type scent; fairly pleasant. The uniqueness brings its score to slightly above average here.

Taste: Sweet on the tongue, with a very banana-bread-like malt flavor. Bright herbal tones as well (cloves?), and if there are any hops present, they are floral and unobtrusive. Tastes just a touch like a Belgian PA.

Mouthfeel: Beer is medium-bodied, with gentle carbonation allowing for full enjoyment of the flavor palate. Rinses nearly clean, with just a touch of hop oil in the aftertaste (all floral, not bitter in the least).

Drinkability: I love this one...I would suggest it to fans of PBR as a better and locally brewed alternative.

An easy drinker...but the sweetness might get to you after more than one. Either way, not a bad way to spend a buck and change.

Lauthaha, Jan 18, 2011

jz989, Dec 02, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Giant airy head. Nice partly cloudy golden color.

S: Tart, apples, yeast, bread

T: Hoppy tart apples. A little sour.

M: Full of air. Lots and lots of carbonation. Feels foamy. Tingly.

O: A fairly descent heavy blonde. I only wish it had a little less air... it's sure to give you gas ;)

bluHatter, Mar 23, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

Jodawn, Sep 09, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -8.7%

This poured out as a clear looking bubbly yellow color with a thin white fizzy head on top. The smell of the beer has some grains in there and virtually no hops aromas at all. The taste of the beer is light, it's fairly refreshing too with some sweet grainy notes. The mouthfeel had a solid amount of carbonation to it. Overall this beer wasn't too bad just not something I'd seek out on my own.

Knapp85, Mar 09, 2012