Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale - Frankenmuth Brewery

Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde AleFrankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale

Frankenmuth Brewery visit their website

American Blonde Ale |  4.75% ABV

Beer added by: Lauthaha on 01-18-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

A: Hazy pale golden color, decent lacing seems to suffer after a while.

S: Flowery, grainy, doughy biscuit or shortbread. Tart?

T&M: Uniform crisp fluffy body. Dry malt character. Modest hopping. Dry breadiness. Vague tartness, yeasty. Finish is nearly bone dry.

O: Seems out of whack, over zealous yeast? Has potential, just needs to be cleaned up IMO.

3.17/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks 2 Nate buddy for this MI pick-up.

Semi-cloudy, light amber in color. Very quick head with no retention. Bubbling is mediocre.

Tart apple yeast, ripe banana, and toasted crackers.

The start has a flash of carbonation with fruity yeast flavors upfront. The middle has mild toasted malt qualities, a little bready maybe.

Good carbonation though with a flavorful, yet dry slightly tart palate.

4.51/5  rDev +36.3%

I picked up a bottle of Frankenmuth Cass River Blonde Ale yesterday for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a light and refreshing beer so I thought I would try the blonde from my local brewery. No visible bottling date, I wish they would date their bottles. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's a picture of the old covered bridge that goes over the Cass, I drive over this bridge all the time and I think it's cool that they put it on the label. It poured a slightly hazy golden yellow color with two fingers worth of white head that quickly dissipated to a very thin ring.

S- Wow the aroma wasn't what I was expecting from a blonde. It starts of with a very prominent fruit aroma that was made up of some green apples, pears, and a slight bit of banana. It also has an earthy straw and honey aroma that I usually find in mead. The pale malts impart a some nice bready aromas also.

T- The taste starts of with a slightly sweet bready and grainy flavor that really sticks out and sticks to your mouth, I like it. After that there is all those fruits that I picked up in the aroma with the green apples and pears sticking out the most. There was a little bit of yeasty spices along with that nice earthy straw and honey taste that stuck out in the aroma. The finish had a really light bitterness that helped round everything out.

M- Crisp, clean and medium light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation that could have been just a little higher.

Overall I thought this was a really good blonde ale that was way different from any other I have had. I really liked how unique the flavor and aroma were, you normally don't get much fruit flavors in a blonde but this one was full of them and the earthy straw and honey flavor added a nice complexity to this beer that I really enjoyed. This beer was one easy drinker, the combination of being smooth, light and flavor made for high drinkability, I wouldn't mind drinking four or five of these on the disc gold course. There really wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, everything was pretty well done and I would for sure buy this again. If this is available to you I highly recommend you give it a try, it's unlike any other blonde. I have to admit that I wasn't too thrilled to try this beer, lets just say the cass river name doesn't really exude quality, but I sure did eat my words once I tried it. I kind of have a grudge against the brewery for charging $40 dollars for an empty growler and being geared towards tourists, so I have never been to the brewery before even though it is only ten minutes away, but I did think their dunkle was good and this beer was excellent so I may have to swallow my pride some day and stop in their but for now I think I will just buy their bottles and stay away from brewery, but so far they have impressed me.

4.36/5  rDev +31.7%

A- a finger of white head. Light golden in color.

S- fresh and pretty subtle. Nothing too strong.

T- sweet taste, and bready. I picked up some fruit flavors, but can't pin point what it was.

M- very crisp, clean feel, and rather full with good carbonation.

O- I really enjoyed this ale. It's especially good in summer. I'll definitely come back to this one.

3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy straw color with 2 fingers of quickly dissipating head

S - some slightly biscuity malt and some faint floral hops; pretty subtle, but pleasant

T - slightly sweet and bready initially, giving way to a bit of spice through the middle and end; can't really place any specific spices though

M - a fuller mouthfeel than I was expecting; medium bodied and nicely carbonated

D - I was pleasantly surprised by this; an easy drinking beer that will probably drink even better in summer

4.17/5  rDev +26%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a slightly hazy blond/ orange liquid with a few streams of carbonation making their way to the surface. The white head settles to a few splotches on the surface.

S- Light fruit, flowers, a bit of pepper, and honey. A bit delicate, but enjoyable.

T- Light fruit such as apples and pears with some strawberry tossed in. There is a bready aspect to it that is very nice.

M- Very full and creamy with a large amount of carbonation but it is not foamy.

D- A very enjoyable take on the style that would make a great session beer. Highly recommended.

4.15/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass. Part of a Frankenmuth Brewery sampler pack.

Appearance: Beer pours a murky golden color; through the translucence, only light carbonation is visible. Initially, the head is raging and abundant, but it fizzles down to near-nothingness fairly quickly and leaves behind almost no lacing whatsoever. Looks like a heavier witbier.

Smell: Similar in texture to PBR. Very corny up front, but the redemption comes in the form of a gentle, sweet malt backbone. Almost a "bubble-gum" type scent; fairly pleasant. The uniqueness brings its score to slightly above average here.

Taste: Sweet on the tongue, with a very banana-bread-like malt flavor. Bright herbal tones as well (cloves?), and if there are any hops present, they are floral and unobtrusive. Tastes just a touch like a Belgian PA.

Mouthfeel: Beer is medium-bodied, with gentle carbonation allowing for full enjoyment of the flavor palate. Rinses nearly clean, with just a touch of hop oil in the aftertaste (all floral, not bitter in the least).

Drinkability: I love this one...I would suggest it to fans of PBR as a better and locally brewed alternative.

An easy drinker...but the sweetness might get to you after more than one. Either way, not a bad way to spend a buck and change.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »