Schwelmer Weizen - Privatbrauerei Schwelm

Privatbrauerei Schwelm visit their website
Germany

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 10-01-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schwelmer Weizen Alström Bros
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

This beer poured a yellow-amber color. It had the pure white head of every hefeweizen. There was little to no yeast sediment. It was the typical hefeweizen in every way except for taste. The alcohol taste was in the forefront more than in the typical hefeweizen, providing a little balance to the otherwise sweet and malty flavor of the beer. I'd love to try this fresh. (370 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Had this bier from a 1/2 litre flip-top bottle.

A: A nice golden yellow, not as hazy looking as other weizens, more of a pilsner look only with more carbonation. Nice run-on sentence.
S: Bananas, bananas, and more bananas. A very inviting odor.
T: A wonderful taste, follows the smell in that is is fruity, refreshing, with no after taste. Mild carbonation compliments the fruity flavor and makes this a great taste. Not as smooth and milky as hacker-pschorr, but close.
M: No problems here.
D: Overall, this is a wonderful weizen bier. I could have this all day long.

Do yourself a favor and get a few, you will not be disappointed. Prosit! (646 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Very yummy. Flip top cap popped with aroma fizz of wheat. Poured a beautiful hazy goldenrod. Great carbo head that settled to a gentle cloudy lacing. Lots of banana and lemon smells, with a background of spicey bread. Had a citrusy tart front taste, with a good creamy banana middle, and refreshing peppery clove spices towards the end with a well balanced malty bread over all. Slightly warming at the end.Has that familar bavarian taste that I enjoy so much. This hefe has everything I like in my hefes. Expiration date says best before end 881058. Now when is that exactly? I think it's pretty best right now. (612 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -26.3%

Picked up a 4-pack from Brawleys' in Charlotte for around $11. This beer poured a cloudy, pale to golden yellow wit a HUGE head. When I started pouring in a hefe glass it was all head at the start.

Smell was all bananas for me and the taste matched. I couldn't taste any hops and it was too sweet for my normal likeing. While it's a drinkable beer I would not buy again due to the banana taste and sweetness. (409 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -30.1%

My wife likes Hefes, so Im on a quest to get her beer she likes. This is a good/sour one.
A) citrus ripe like.
A) bright and hints of apricot.
F) Crisp, sour and unrefined. Very apricot and yeast like.
P) Tart but full.
O) My wife likes it, I think it's good. We'd have it again. (288 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

From swing top into weizen

Cloudy golden yellow with a fluffball white head. nice lacing

Smells of typical banana clove and yeast. malt background. mmm

Banana, clove, dough wheat. hmmmm... It finishes a little funny.
I either have an old bottle or the clove is HUGE. If you have ever put a clove in your mouth, the beer has that same bite to it.

Nice texture overall.

sessional (383 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12.6%

A fine hefeweizen with a dry bananna finish. So yeasty that you can't even make out light on the other side when held up to the bottle. Bananna flavor was average, not overwhelming. Had a bit of a burnt wheat flavor, pleasant aftertaste. An above average Hefe, not an allstar though. Some stronger phenolic character would be advised. 2.69 at Hollingshead (355 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

P- I have a thing for swing top bottles... the design is a wonderful choice to use for home brewing.

A- pours a great golden beige color with a classic cloudy appearance.

S- fruity (banana), typical of style.

T- fruity (banana) beginning with a spicy clove finish.

M- light and refreshing.

D- a great choice for those ready for winter to end and summer to start. (367 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been trying to determine what the spicy aftertaste is. My girlfriend thinks it's nutmeg.

Anyway, good color, about right for a weizen. Good taste, not too wheaty, not heavy, nice and light. You can taste the hint of spices. Very drinkable, since it's light and easy on the stomach.

This has to be one of the better hefeweizens out there. Bonus points for the grolsh style bottle, perfect for homebrewers like myself who are concerned with caps. (455 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

A - My first swingtop bottle I've ever opened. The cork-type "pop" got me excited to try this. It poured an extremely cloudy peach similar to some wits I've had. It almost glows in my glass. The head erupted up and died down later. I didn't get too much lacing.
S - I got the standard Bavarian Hefe banana and clove smell which I love.
T - The taste was a tad different. It had the banana/clove up front, but had a sour/tart aftertaste which was more noticeable as I drank it (lemon-like sour). It adds complexity by dulling the yeast flavor at the end.
M - has a solid body. Creamy yet tart with the wheat. Good stuff.
D - The sourness was a very nice addition in the beginning, but towards the end it overpowered a little. Overall it was a solid Hefe. (757 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance is hazy light golden with a large head. Head had excellent retention. Banana and cloves dominated the smell. For the taste, banana and cloves were the biggest followed by orange/citrus and the beer itself is malty with a decent amount of carbonation. It goes down very smoothly and is a very good beer to drink and is a good refreshing drink for the summer. (368 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%

I went out to buy wine for my wife at a local beer and wine store when a bottle of Schwelmer Weizen caught my eyes. I confess that I only bought it because of the swing top (I wanted the bottle since I brew my own beer) and that I found a very nice beer to add to my favorite list.

A: very nice looking, naturally cloudy, beer with a whitish/opaque yellow color that looked like a lava lamp when looking through the glass against the light. Huge creamy head that stayed throughout the pleasant experience.

S: Strong sweet (fruity/clovy) scent with some citric aspects.

T: Fresh sweet malt with light flowery hop that made it taste just right. Smooth and pleasent aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied. deliciously creamy and a bit tart. Not much carbonation.

D: refreshing that went down like it was nothing. I was regretful that I didn't purchase at least another bottle to keep it going. (887 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

tried this beer on a whim,excellent taste and drinkability, very nice body with a delicate fruity flavour, not at all heavy, it did not leave the normal full almost bloated feeling from similar beers, balanced very well with steak and potato did not overpower the flavor of meal. overall a very good beer/ (305 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

After returning from the BADE-BADEN area of germany I had a hankering or more of a loss of true German Hefe Weiss Bier. Alas I found it in the Scwelmer Braueri
1. Great Foamy White Head 3 fingers thick.
2. That classic Banana, Clove Sweet smell.
3. And the taste brought me back to the little town of Guglingen where most of my german relatives live.

I can't wait to go and find another 4-pack. On that note too bad they only come in 4-packs Unless someone can find me a case of theses rare beauties. (502 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last