Zatte - Brouwerij 't IJ

ZatteZatte

Brouwerij 't IJ visit their website
Netherlands

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

The first beer to come out of our vats, back in 1985, making it the classic beer of Brouwerij ‘t IJ. It is a ‘tripel’, the category reserved for the stronger, blonde beers in Belgian tradition. Zatte more than lives up to expectations in this respect. It is a full-bodied, golden beer with a scent of fresh fruit mingled here and there with a hint of grain. The flavour is slightly sweet, ending with a fine, dry aftertaste. A delicious beer that can be enjoyed in all seasons.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002)
Reviews by supermeniscus:
3.75/5  rDev 0%

supermeniscus, Jan 05, 2013

farundrpar, Jan 08, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Another of my backlog from Europe notes, not sure where I had this in Amsterdam but it went well with my stomp pot.

A- A cloudy beige color with no head despite regular pour. Pretty disappointing to look at all around.

S- Clove, cinnamon, banana, bubblegum and a hint of fresh wood. There's a lot going on here and it's all really nice and plays really well together.

T- Sweet and tangy on the front end with a bubblegum and clove middle. Finish is off dry with lingering tang and spice (cinnamon, coriander and clove).

M- Fairly dry with thin carbonation. Pretty average for style but a bit more body might have helped in this case.

T- One of the better tripels I have had though it could look a lot better and a bit more malt or hops would help balance out the fruit and spice from the yeast more.

Guden, Oct 09, 2012
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle, as pictured, pours into a goblet a hazy peach hued body. Small white head is fleeting and leaves only a few speckles of lace. Aroma is fruity melon and mango, with bubblegum, earthy notes, and vague spices. Some fusel alcohol is underneath. Mouthfeel is medium but thins as it warms. Carbonation is medium. Taste features the same fruity mango and bubblegum as the aroma. Earthy hop and yeast bitterness. Slightly hot, with a bitter yeasty finish. Not an outstanding tripel.

merlin48, Dec 30, 2006

andrewdanks, May 21, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +5.3%

Excellent beer. Very nice soft yeasty character, slight sweet start, spicy middle, bitter, slightly acidic finish, quite fresh, full-bodied and complex, i quite liked it.

rastaman, Aug 04, 2002
3.9/5  rDev +4%

Brewery has been gaining B A momentum. Opened the bottle after cellering for a couple of weeks and 10% of bottle foramed all over the counter and into the cuttlery. Last time this happened was a Chimay, so I guess I have to compare this brew to a Chimay. The initial taste was a nice sweetness and modest carbonation, but taste was lesser so and dry aftertaste. Foam white head on cloudy yellow-brown . Nice Belgian abbey aroma. Soft creamy mouthfeel. 8% alcohol, its there. One of Holland's best. We don't hear from them that much these days.

Sammy, Mar 26, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +20%

schavuytje, Mar 25, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

WOW! What an interesting beer! I'm not sure I'd call it a tripel myself, but what the hell?

It pours a cloudy brass/amber body beneath a short cap of white froth that
steadily drops to an average collar and minor, whispy, semi-surface covering. And it leaves a few drips and drabs of lace, but that's it.

The nose, however, is more exciting! (Or at least interesting!) It's yeasty, woody (cedar shavings?), wheatish, worty, gummy, candy-ish, spicy, and fruity (papaya, peach, pineapple, dull melon, mango, raisin, cocoanut?). It's all of these things, but it's still somehow restrained. Tre bizzarre!

In the mouth it's delicately zesty but backed by a dextrinous, medium body that leads it to become pillowy soft and velvety smooth as it warms.

The flavor offers everything that the aroma does and more, but the predominant flavors are yeasty/fruity ( It's a touch chalky and yeasty, and it finishes dry with lingering notes of dull, tropical fruit (again... papaya, tangerine, a spritz of pineapple, raisin) and spice.

The alcohol is incredibly well-cloaked throughout, but it does appear in the finish towards the end of the goblet.

NeroFiddled, May 25, 2005

on tap at the brewery in amsterdam - something ridiculous like 2 euros

appearance: poured a slightly hazy golden color with a medium tone and some moderate beige froth - fits the standard for the style

smell: tropical fruit syrup, pineapple, light belgian yeast

taste: i found this to be a pretty strong effort with a flavour profile that mirrors the nose - pineapple and tropical fruit cocktail are the main components of this tripel. This one is a little musty and funky as well...moderately spiced

mouthfeel: syrupy and sweet

drinkability: high

dirtylou, Jul 25, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Massive fluffy cartoon head, lots of carbonation, slightly hazy golden yellow.

S: Strange intense smell. Somewhat chemical and bitter thistle. Unique for sure.

T: That weird thistle is very present and isn't my favorite flavor. Interesting though. Underneath that it's a slightly spiced banana-y weiss. Sweet corn.

M: Very weissbier like. A bit astringent and mouth souring.

D: Almost a good beer, and I'm sure it's good for a lot of people. It's just the strong thistle that turns me off.

sfprint, Nov 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Sediment laced liquid; I guess I poured a tad sloppy. Nevertheless, I can obviously see the otherwise, clear, shiny gold hue with bruised peach highlights. Massive white head, at the apex the foam was three fingers tall. Excellent staying power, the bubbles were slow to fade to a modest one finger cap. Lacing started before I even took a sip. I love that. The true subsequent lacing was splotchy and unorganized but prevalent enough for me to take note. On the whole, I really like the appearance.

The nose is lovely and well-rounded. I don’t find the aromas boastful but before I can even deconstruct what I smell I know this beer will taste great. Now *that* is a wonderful feeling. Okay, back to the bouquet. At times a tropical fruit blend shines but only for a moment, I started to detect pears and white grapes in very small amounts. In the mix are wood shavings. Faintly spicy; I can’t really say what I smell in this aspect, which is a sign of a well crafted brew. Yeasty finish with a slight (but not unpleasant) sourness; the more I sniff the woodier it is getting (I don’t really care for that). For a Triple the nose isn’t very hoppy… that will be by only negative comment and comparison to a style. Intriguing.

Huh… I like the palate… but it is a tickle different than the nose led on. First of all, it is much fruitier than I was expecting. It is loudly tropical upfront with pears, apples, and white grapes at the finish, lovely. Out of nowhere a blast of hops smacks my tongue; crisp and bitter with an earthy, slightly spicy bite. Citrusy before the end, Sprite, chalky lemon, and some faint spices. In the aftertaste is some banana and pepper. Woody but faint enough for my tastes. Surprisingly sweet post-aftertaste, I’ll call it a residue. This is a complex beer. Is it really a Triple? I don’t know and I don’t care. Complex but not heavy-handed; I’ve had more aggressive Triples but this one works. Lovely.

Medium in body, low and slightly creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel fits well with the palate but there is nothing all that memorable about it.

Damn drinkable. The 8% abv is very well hidden. I wish it didn’t cost $5 a bottle. Still, a real treat would be some bleu cheese, grapes, apples, and wheat crackers and a bottle of Zatte and I would be a happy camper. Damn good. I purchased my bottle in Omaha. Worth a try, for sure!

bditty187, Mar 17, 2006

brinch, Mar 16, 2012

dvnb, Aug 28, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

apasternak, Dec 31, 2013
3.7/5  rDev -1.3%

Hazy golden straw color. Nice white head dissipates after a few minutes. Light tropical fruit aromas. Mango is the most prominent. Flavor seems a bit dry with a light iron minerality. Finishes with a pleasant coating bitterness. After swishing this around in my mouth for a bit I noticed a strange numbing and lightheadedness. Nice beer.

pleasewearpants, Sep 10, 2011

Anze, Jul 07, 2014
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottled in 9/2004. Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip Glass.

Poured well with a large amount of head and solid carbonation. I was a bit surprised by this given the age and the fact that it was not really cellared per say.... just sitting on the shelf waiting for me:)

Great tasting beer. Lot's of apple and citrus notes. It also had a good amount of yeast and sediment(which I like). As the beer warmed the flavors definitely intensified and it became a bit boozy toward the end. Overall an excellent triple. I would like to try this one fresh. Some points taken off for drinkability as it was a real sipper and I couldn't see my self drinking much more than one.

tendermorsel, Aug 06, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours hazy golden color with a 2-finger puffy white head that kicks off lots of lace on the goblet.
Aroma of cracked wheat, stomach acid, some coriander and lemon peel.
Flavor of wheat, lemon, coriander and herbal hops.
Mouthfeel is smooth and citrusy, very nice semi-tart feel. solid carbonation.
Drinkability is great. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

CRJMellor, Apr 04, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +2.7%

Colour is pale dark yellow/light brown, quite cloudy even though I didn't pour the yeast. White head that shrinks quickly. Some nice bubbles rising to the top. Looks inviting...

Smell is freshly bakes bread, yeast, lemon peel, cloves.

Taste is yeasty, some lemon, lots of malts; quite bready. Then a light hoppy bitterness, cloves, and some other fruits (apricots, oranges). There's a light unbalance between the yeast and hops that gives a slight funky note. I've had theis beer many times before but this is the first time I've noticed this.

Mouth is medium, not too much carbonation, but clings a bit to the mouth. I like that's it's not too heavy.

This is a very nice tripel, quite how they should be. Though there seems to be something slightly off with this bottle, it's still very enjoyable. Could be a bit better though.

Maakun, Dec 18, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

As a triple it looked like something else - like a an amber hefeweizen. It was dark orange and opaque with mild but pleasant triple scents. The taste was pleasant and refreshing with a lingering tartness in a rich body. Warming does nothing to bring out any other flavors. This is so easy going down – nothing too complicated or overbearing. The small size is not enough and while it is not world class I would love to have a few in a row.

lou91, Aug 29, 2005

Dutch brewed ale. Bio tripel, unfiltered unpasteurized.

Colour dark golden, with a big creamy head, very good carbonation, nice lacing.

Fresh clean fruity smell, floral hops. Malts and typical belgian yeastyness.
Nice bittersweetness in the taste.
Aftertaste is also bittersweet. Good body on this too.
It's medium dry like a typical tripel... and overall it's a very nice example of this style of beer.

RuudJH, Sep 03, 2010

A good, drinkable beer. Light golden in color, good head, a subtly sweet/caramel flavor. Medium body in terms of heaviness of flavor. Not too light, not too dark. This is a good beer to drink on a night out when you're having a couple, or even just with a light snack. It's not overwhelming but it has enough of a taste to not bore you.

RobeyStreet, Oct 14, 2009