Zatte - Brouwerij 't IJ

good

Brouwerij 't IJ visit their website
Netherlands

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

The first beer to come out of our vats, back in 1985, making it the classic beer of Brouwerij ‘t IJ. It is a ‘tripel’, the category reserved for the stronger, blonde beers in Belgian tradition. Zatte more than lives up to expectations in this respect. It is a full-bodied, golden beer with a scent of fresh fruit mingled here and there with a hint of grain. The flavour is slightly sweet, ending with a fine, dry aftertaste. A delicious beer that can be enjoyed in all seasons.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002)

Truly an exceptional beer had fresh on tap at a friendly cafe in Amsterdam. I could've stayed here and drunk these all afternoon long...or until I fell out of my seat. A perfect sunny comfortable day sitting outside at a sidewalk table with a fine brew. That's good livin'. Rich, hazy golden color, big creamy foam head. Fruity, inviting aroma. Fruity, estery, sweet/tart flavor with a welcome alcohol bite. Thick and substantial mouthfeel. A seriously fine brew.

John, Jun 12, 2002
4.65/5  rDev +24%

Appearance - Pours a very cloudy blonde with lots of big yeast chunks floating around. A thick clunky head is slow to recede, and leaves a little lacing in its wake.

Smell - Funky, brett style. Green apples, a little earthen.

Taste - A light tartness hits the palate and is quickly replaced with a nice toffee like sweetness. Again apples, and earthy. Quite refreshing despite the 8% ABV listed.

Mouthfeel - Very light, almost watery, but a nice sparkling carbonation makes up for the lack of carbonation. Quite smooth.

Drinkability - An easy drinker that comands attention. Will drink and drink and drink....

Bobikel, Jun 08, 2007

schavuytje, Mar 25, 2014

vermilcj, Feb 21, 2014

Saind, Jan 06, 2014

kja157, Mar 19, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +18.1%

The smell is faintly reminiscent of an antique leather chest and matches well with its murky golden hue. The slightly syrupy sweet taste was quite pleasant in this slow drinking bottle conditioned beer. My experience with this beer style is a bit limited, but I reckon I could definitely acquire a taste for it.

Lightweight, Jul 19, 2002
4.4/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from my St Bernardus chalice

A - Pours a very nice hazey honeycomb colour with a big white head that reduces slowly to a film.

S - Smeels like a weizenbock of sweet caramels and spice.

T - Plenty of spice up front followed by some herbal like flavours and some grapefruit too. Finishes with a sweet boozyness.

M - Medium carbonation and body.

D - This is a great tripel and a must try.

eric5bellies, Feb 12, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +16.8%

WOW! What an interesting beer! I'm not sure I'd call it a tripel myself, but what the hell?

It pours a cloudy brass/amber body beneath a short cap of white froth that
steadily drops to an average collar and minor, whispy, semi-surface covering. And it leaves a few drips and drabs of lace, but that's it.

The nose, however, is more exciting! (Or at least interesting!) It's yeasty, woody (cedar shavings?), wheatish, worty, gummy, candy-ish, spicy, and fruity (papaya, peach, pineapple, dull melon, mango, raisin, cocoanut?). It's all of these things, but it's still somehow restrained. Tre bizzarre!

In the mouth it's delicately zesty but backed by a dextrinous, medium body that leads it to become pillowy soft and velvety smooth as it warms.

The flavor offers everything that the aroma does and more, but the predominant flavors are yeasty/fruity ( It's a touch chalky and yeasty, and it finishes dry with lingering notes of dull, tropical fruit (again... papaya, tangerine, a spritz of pineapple, raisin) and spice.

The alcohol is incredibly well-cloaked throughout, but it does appear in the finish towards the end of the goblet.

NeroFiddled, May 25, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +16%

Sampled at the famous Vildeman cafe in Amsterdam! The brown glass bottle had no label, and this beer was ordered as "Zat-ah" from brewery "Tea-gh". This brew was a glowing golden colour with a nice frothy head of white snow. The aromas were of nice yeast, honey, different spices, and interestingly fruity malts. The taste was malty and fruity, with some nice spicing/hopping to boot. This reminded me of a weird spiced version of Hommelbier. The mouthfeel was medium>thick and the drinkability was excellent as well. A really good Holland brew!

francisweizen, Mar 30, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Beautifully thick, hilly and creamy white head tops a hazy amber oranged hued brew w/ copious bubbling. The aroma is dominated by sweet fruit esters including peach and mango, but are accompanied by subdued tarter citrus rind and lemon. Trace of mustiness and phenol are present in aroma as well. Very appealing aromawise. The flavor is an inverse extension of the aroma, with lightly tart, citric fruit dominating. Light to moderate in body w/ a smooth mouthfeel that belies the highly carbonated appearance. Fermenation byproducts such as phenol / clove or banana esters common to many tripels are absent in flavor, lending it a fruity but clean flavor profile. Light breadiness and hint of hop bitterness emerge with a quick snap towards the end of the sip. Finishes w/ a fading unripe berry fruitiness. Zatte is a delightful tripel. It's not as intense as some others, and has a greater emphasis on fruity esters since other funky Belgian yeast byproducts are absent. Relatively clean in flavor, but still very flavorful and tremendously drinkable.

marc77, Aug 11, 2002
4.33/5  rDev +15.5%

Love the label; evokes a retro cigarette pack.

Pours a cloudy, dark blond, with a nice frothy layer on top. Aroma is spicy, with citrus zest, and general fruitiness.
creamy, Flavor has a nice body with a faint, lemony acidity; juniper and spices on the exhale, and a hint of hops. Quite a creamy feel that's enhanced by a good level of carbonation. Overall a very enjoyable beer!

gyllstromk, Apr 15, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +14.7%

12 oz bottle. date is 3/06 not sure what that means i don't think it could mean its a 5 year old brew though, it was out of the fridge at the store.

It pours a deep god with a slight bit of hase, the head is big, foamy, and white and recedes quickly, then slowly, leaving only spots of lacing.

The smell is awesome. Think if someone dropped a banana in a glass of Orval. It has a bright citrusy funk alongside ripe banana. There is some earth and spiciness and a hint of grain as well. hint of strawberry.

The taste doesn't evoke as much funk. It is fruity, slightly musty, slightly earthy, with a dryness like Orval. It has a nice fruity tang, some slight alcohol, and some grain.

Holy fuck, is this orval junior or what? Caught me off guard.

crossovert, Jul 26, 2010

Arborescence, Nov 04, 2013

BreweryRun, Sep 30, 2014

page101, Apr 04, 2012

Molson2000, Sep 21, 2012

discodoni, Oct 14, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

Sediment laced liquid; I guess I poured a tad sloppy. Nevertheless, I can obviously see the otherwise, clear, shiny gold hue with bruised peach highlights. Massive white head, at the apex the foam was three fingers tall. Excellent staying power, the bubbles were slow to fade to a modest one finger cap. Lacing started before I even took a sip. I love that. The true subsequent lacing was splotchy and unorganized but prevalent enough for me to take note. On the whole, I really like the appearance.

The nose is lovely and well-rounded. I don’t find the aromas boastful but before I can even deconstruct what I smell I know this beer will taste great. Now *that* is a wonderful feeling. Okay, back to the bouquet. At times a tropical fruit blend shines but only for a moment, I started to detect pears and white grapes in very small amounts. In the mix are wood shavings. Faintly spicy; I can’t really say what I smell in this aspect, which is a sign of a well crafted brew. Yeasty finish with a slight (but not unpleasant) sourness; the more I sniff the woodier it is getting (I don’t really care for that). For a Triple the nose isn’t very hoppy… that will be by only negative comment and comparison to a style. Intriguing.

Huh… I like the palate… but it is a tickle different than the nose led on. First of all, it is much fruitier than I was expecting. It is loudly tropical upfront with pears, apples, and white grapes at the finish, lovely. Out of nowhere a blast of hops smacks my tongue; crisp and bitter with an earthy, slightly spicy bite. Citrusy before the end, Sprite, chalky lemon, and some faint spices. In the aftertaste is some banana and pepper. Woody but faint enough for my tastes. Surprisingly sweet post-aftertaste, I’ll call it a residue. This is a complex beer. Is it really a Triple? I don’t know and I don’t care. Complex but not heavy-handed; I’ve had more aggressive Triples but this one works. Lovely.

Medium in body, low and slightly creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel fits well with the palate but there is nothing all that memorable about it.

Damn drinkable. The 8% abv is very well hidden. I wish it didn’t cost $5 a bottle. Still, a real treat would be some bleu cheese, grapes, apples, and wheat crackers and a bottle of Zatte and I would be a happy camper. Damn good. I purchased my bottle in Omaha. Worth a try, for sure!

bditty187, Mar 17, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +12.5%

330ml bottle, at the brewery

Pours with a dark golden body, hazy with a few yeasties. Foamy white head, dense with good retention

Smell, fresh bread, some hint of clove, little bit nutty, fresh wort (although the brewpub smells like fresh wort too, could have been partly that)

Taste, almondy, fairly smooth mouthfeel. Little bit of spice, fresh tasting

Another great one from t 'ij, not quite as good as columbus though

cypressbob, Jul 29, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +10.7%

Sampled at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, Califonria. Pale yellow with a gigantic head of white foam. Appealing nose of light fruits (pears and apples), bubble gum, spice and yeast. Airy, light and timid body. Big bubble gum flavors with hints of papaya, pear, apples, hops and yeast. I really like Ij and their beers.

Crosling, Mar 27, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours hazy golden color with a 2-finger puffy white head that kicks off lots of lace on the goblet.
Aroma of cracked wheat, stomach acid, some coriander and lemon peel.
Flavor of wheat, lemon, coriander and herbal hops.
Mouthfeel is smooth and citrusy, very nice semi-tart feel. solid carbonation.
Drinkability is great. Very refreshing and enjoyable.

CRJMellor, Apr 04, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Yeast filled, glittering gold bullion with multiple streams of upwardly mobile bubbles. The cream colored head is currently filling half the glass and looks stiff enough to have a long, healthy life. Thick strands and small sheets of lace are beginning to be laid down. The middle portion of the glass is nicely encrusted when the beer is allowed to fall with drinking.

The powerful nose is funky, gamy, almost barnyard-like, and reminds me of a kinder, gentler, infinitely more pleasing relative of Orval. It's yeasty sour, spicy and fruity all at once. There's no trace of alcohol since it has undoubtedly been swamped by the more aggressive aromas. I'm not usually taken with noses of this sort, but this one appeals to me. It's both complex and exotic.

Zatte tastes exactly like it smells. It still reminds me of a 'baby' Orval in that it's musty, funky and horseblankety. I really didn't care for this flavor in Orval, but then it's been a while since I had one. It may be time for a revisit.

Perhaps the reason I'm finding Zatte more to my liking is that there's a fruity sweetness that keeps the funk in check. When I slurped the foam (I'm a slower learner when it comes to pouring Belgians) I tasted bananas. They aren't as apparent in the beer itself, although why that should be, I have no idea. Fresh bananas do make a brief appearance on the finish.

It's hard to say what spices have been used since they're an integral, although not an assertive, part of the flavor profile. This is another one of those complex beers that keeps its flavor elements in wonderful balance. The mouthfeel seemed too light initially. It eventually achieves medium with a mannered smoothness that is in keeping with the rest of its attributes. The addition of the final few ounces muddies up the appearance and kicks the flavor into high gear.

Zatte doesn't really taste like a tripel to me, but it is damn good. It has a wonderful taste bud saturating nature, a nearly infinite variety of flavors and is a joy in the mouth. I'm not sure if the '02 that is notched is the 'born on' or the 'best by' date. Either way, this bottle has held up remarkably well and may have even profited from its long rest.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

Very smooth and simple Triple.

Now, this reminds, really reminds me of their Columbus, lots of similar flavors. Unfortunately I don't have them both with me so I can't verify that.

This is sweet, sugary, caramel(y), filled with honey and malts. Drinking this to me is like enjoying a tall glass of honey, the amber color, the smell, the taste, all reflect back to that.

I love honey flavored beers, so my review will reflect that.

cadenwhitaker, Jun 07, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottled in 9/2004. Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip Glass.

Poured well with a large amount of head and solid carbonation. I was a bit surprised by this given the age and the fact that it was not really cellared per say.... just sitting on the shelf waiting for me:)

Great tasting beer. Lot's of apple and citrus notes. It also had a good amount of yeast and sediment(which I like). As the beer warmed the flavors definitely intensified and it became a bit boozy toward the end. Overall an excellent triple. I would like to try this one fresh. Some points taken off for drinkability as it was a real sipper and I couldn't see my self drinking much more than one.

tendermorsel, Aug 06, 2007