Zatte - Brouwerij 't IJ

ZatteZatte

Brouwerij 't IJ visit their website
Netherlands

Tripel |  8.00% ABV

The first beer to come out of our vats, back in 1985, making it the classic beer of Brouwerij ‘t IJ. It is a ‘tripel’, the category reserved for the stronger, blonde beers in Belgian tradition. Zatte more than lives up to expectations in this respect. It is a full-bodied, golden beer with a scent of fresh fruit mingled here and there with a hint of grain. The flavour is slightly sweet, ending with a fine, dry aftertaste. A delicious beer that can be enjoyed in all seasons.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-15-2002)
3.8/5  rDev +1.1%

Served at Brouwerij 't IJ in April 2008

A- Hazy yellow, strong, long lasting white head. Some visible carbonation

S- Spice, hops, booze, yeast

T- Pretty bitter, a lot of spice, overall good malt/hop ratio, its not over done. Some wheat?

M- Light, very light

D- This is 8%?

ATPete, May 05, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -28.7%

Head was average, off-white with not a lot of lacing.
Lightly cloudy and hazy body.

Smell was malty, straw with average hops for this style. A little bit of oranges, raisins and brown sugar. Heavy in yeast.

On the palate: Medium body, oily texture, soft carbonation with not a very big finish. Slightly bitter flavor as well.

Drinkability was pretty low little because it was too yeasty for me.

tobyandgina, Feb 27, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

"Had fresh on tap at the tiny brewpub in Amsterdam: Looks a little like Duvel but darker, has a big head to but a lot fuller and creamier. honey apple alcohol smell...

.. boom! has a noticeable kick. but a fruitiness in the taste is nice. a good good tripel..."

..there is not a lot better than a truly fresh tripel on tap in the place it is made when its 3 degrees outside!! wonderful!

Onslow, Feb 26, 2008
3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

Strange label, with what looks like a picture of an ostrich standing over an egg in the desert with drool coming out of it's mouth and a windmill in the background.

Poured from a brown bottled marked 8-02. Nice bright orange color with a small head and no lacing. Lots of particles floating and some carbonation rising from the bottom.

Smelled of banana and apples, slight alcohol also.

Tasted of banana and citrus along with some sort of musty-ness (is that a word?)

Felt ok in the mouth, a but thick with some carbonation tingle. Smooth.

All in all this was an alright beeer. It sort of reminded me of Ayinger's Brau-Weiss but not quite as refined. Not sure what the prime drinking age for this beer is but this bottle had been around for over 5 years. Anyways, it's worth a try if you like this style beer, otherwise your beer drinking life will still be complete if you don't.

JBogan, Dec 12, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -26.9%

A bit of a shock to me this one... from what I've heard I was expecting to like it a lot but to be honest I almost thought I'd accidentally poured it into an ashtray instead of a glass - the smell is pure ashtray and the taste has hints of this. Also, there's way more suspended particles than is really acceptable even for a beer of this style.

I almost wonder if I got an off bottle - I might give this one another go - perhaps I'll pop by the brewery one evening to drink one there even and if it's better I'll rework this review.

BarryNL, Dec 12, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer poured a cloudy gold with lots of suspended yeasts. The head was tall white and foamy. The smell was sweet with reasonable amounts of yeast. I found the flavor predominantly full of yeast with hints of light malts and fruits. The mouthfeel was crisp and dry. Overall I found this to be a pretty decent tripel, though I cannot say that I was particularly impressed by it.

geetlord, Oct 06, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Not sure how to read the Flemish, but first mark is on 3 and last 06, maybe March, 06.
Lightly chilled and poured in to a watou goblet. One finger of pure white head retention is mild. Body is a slightly musty orange amber. Reminiscent of copper deposits on the rocks of mounts or in murky red golden rivers. Grows to an almost light peach huge toward the bottle of the glass. ( I over poured so little yeasties are hanging around the bottom. Smells is very aromatic with strong hints of ginger bread, maybe nut meg, poached sour apple, sembe, and hints of earthy sour funk, on the other hand hops are subtle. Taste is on the drier side with little hints of sourness, bitterness is minimal, rather quaffable, but not completely wowing. Interesting tripel, but not my favorite I've heard other people say they liked it better on tap that would be quite interesting. Decent carbonation I'd like to try it with food hop aroma is subtle bitterness is minimal.

mmcave, Sep 21, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottled in 9/2004. Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip Glass.

Poured well with a large amount of head and solid carbonation. I was a bit surprised by this given the age and the fact that it was not really cellared per say.... just sitting on the shelf waiting for me:)

Great tasting beer. Lot's of apple and citrus notes. It also had a good amount of yeast and sediment(which I like). As the beer warmed the flavors definitely intensified and it became a bit boozy toward the end. Overall an excellent triple. I would like to try this one fresh. Some points taken off for drinkability as it was a real sipper and I couldn't see my self drinking much more than one.

tendermorsel, Aug 06, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +23.7%

Appearance - Pours a very cloudy blonde with lots of big yeast chunks floating around. A thick clunky head is slow to recede, and leaves a little lacing in its wake.

Smell - Funky, brett style. Green apples, a little earthen.

Taste - A light tartness hits the palate and is quickly replaced with a nice toffee like sweetness. Again apples, and earthy. Quite refreshing despite the 8% ABV listed.

Mouthfeel - Very light, almost watery, but a nice sparkling carbonation makes up for the lack of carbonation. Quite smooth.

Drinkability - An easy drinker that comands attention. Will drink and drink and drink....

Bobikel, Jun 08, 2007

An organic tripel (“Bio-Trippel”) I picked up at Bierkoning in Amsterdam on 3/14/07 and drank on 4/3.

Hazy, orangish pale colorwith medium-thick head of small to medium bubbles. Dissipates to sold cm of head. Yeasty smell with citrus notes. Sweet, citrusy, actually slightly bitter taste. Long lasting molassesy sweetness. Altogether a good interpretation of the tripel, but with a few interesting and original notes not found in many Belgium tripels I've had. Not heavy on the carbonation or body for a tripel, but smooth and pleasant all around. Quite drinkable. Great beer from a great brewery. I recommend trying their beer if you are in the Amsterdam area.

dmbfrat420beers, Apr 04, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -12.2%

11/13/06- Purchased at Plumpjacks in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz bottle. Bottled on date notched on label. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- Deep golden in color. 3/4 inch head which retains a nice fluffy rim. Light streaky lace trails remain.

Smell- A textbook scent. High alcohol fumes, candied sugar with a fruitcake and cookie dough aroma.

Taste- High alcohol flavor. Really not much of any spices. Maybe some juniper berries. Not even as much sugar as in the nose. Reminds one of a malt liquor without the corn. Picture a Westmalle without the spices.

Mouthfeel- Waterlike, medium carbonated seltzer. Gin-like aftertaste.

Drinkability- Needs something major to tie this beer together. More sugar...how about at least some spices. Very bland. Pass on this one.

GClarkage, Mar 09, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

Bottle, as pictured, pours into a goblet a hazy peach hued body. Small white head is fleeting and leaves only a few speckles of lace. Aroma is fruity melon and mango, with bubblegum, earthy notes, and vague spices. Some fusel alcohol is underneath. Mouthfeel is medium but thins as it warms. Carbonation is medium. Taste features the same fruity mango and bubblegum as the aroma. Earthy hop and yeast bitterness. Slightly hot, with a bitter yeasty finish. Not an outstanding tripel.

merlin48, Dec 30, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a murky orange yellow color with a creamy head that stays on the entire glass.

Smell is slightly sour, less than the other 't IJ beers I recently had, but this is for sure not intentional and points at an infection. There is some fruit in the smell, together with the sourness it combinates to melon and pine-apple. A association I have with all their beers.

Taste is slightly sour with fruity melon and pine-apple. The mouthfeel is sticky and there is also a honey and light caramel taste in it. This beer is so much better on tap, when there is no acidity in the beer. Yet of all the infected beers I had so far from 't IJ this is the best one.

Absumaster, Dec 17, 2006
3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Cloudy peach in color with a thin, off-white head. Good lace down the glass.

Nose is spicy, with light hints of fruit and lemongrass. There's a nice tartness here and something a bit odd/funky lurking underneath.

Flavor, too, is tart, and a bit spicy. Quite hot in the finish with a spicy finish that grows in intensity as the beer warms. Lots of fireworks here, but not a lot of body to undergird it.

Heavily carbonated with a light mouthfeel. A bit too ephemeral.

All in all, a drinkable beer, but ultimately a bit unsatisfying -- too much hoopla and not enough body for a well-rounded drinking experience.

mzwolinski, Aug 28, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Amber colour with a fluffy white head. Fruit, orange, coriander, grass and cream aromas; bitterish taste with coriander, orange and fruit aromas; bitter finish with coriander and orange aromas.

Pleasantly dry, but the spiciness overwhelms pretty well everything else.

patto1ro, Jun 29, 2006
3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Appearance- Pours a two finger head that quickly receds to a thin ring of foam and foamm island. No bubbling or Brussel's lacing to add to the light amber, golden hay color and an orange middle. Lots of sediment.

Smell- Crsytal, tomahawk, and amber malts stand out in the aroma. These malts that I can pick out come with a molases like sweetness in the nose, but maybe a bit lighter than staright molasses.

Taste- Stars with some grany sweet, golden tasting malts. The carbonation picks up and gives me the feeling of tasting hay beer. Maybe a little too natural.

Mouthfeel Great carbonation, just the incorrect flavors to go along with that great carbonation. Maybe a little dry, but thats just cause of the carbonation.... or so I think.

scruffwhor, Jun 22, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +10.4%

Sampled at Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel, Califonria. Pale yellow with a gigantic head of white foam. Appealing nose of light fruits (pears and apples), bubble gum, spice and yeast. Airy, light and timid body. Big bubble gum flavors with hints of papaya, pear, apples, hops and yeast. I really like Ij and their beers.

Crosling, Mar 27, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Sediment laced liquid; I guess I poured a tad sloppy. Nevertheless, I can obviously see the otherwise, clear, shiny gold hue with bruised peach highlights. Massive white head, at the apex the foam was three fingers tall. Excellent staying power, the bubbles were slow to fade to a modest one finger cap. Lacing started before I even took a sip. I love that. The true subsequent lacing was splotchy and unorganized but prevalent enough for me to take note. On the whole, I really like the appearance.

The nose is lovely and well-rounded. I don’t find the aromas boastful but before I can even deconstruct what I smell I know this beer will taste great. Now *that* is a wonderful feeling. Okay, back to the bouquet. At times a tropical fruit blend shines but only for a moment, I started to detect pears and white grapes in very small amounts. In the mix are wood shavings. Faintly spicy; I can’t really say what I smell in this aspect, which is a sign of a well crafted brew. Yeasty finish with a slight (but not unpleasant) sourness; the more I sniff the woodier it is getting (I don’t really care for that). For a Triple the nose isn’t very hoppy… that will be by only negative comment and comparison to a style. Intriguing.

Huh… I like the palate… but it is a tickle different than the nose led on. First of all, it is much fruitier than I was expecting. It is loudly tropical upfront with pears, apples, and white grapes at the finish, lovely. Out of nowhere a blast of hops smacks my tongue; crisp and bitter with an earthy, slightly spicy bite. Citrusy before the end, Sprite, chalky lemon, and some faint spices. In the aftertaste is some banana and pepper. Woody but faint enough for my tastes. Surprisingly sweet post-aftertaste, I’ll call it a residue. This is a complex beer. Is it really a Triple? I don’t know and I don’t care. Complex but not heavy-handed; I’ve had more aggressive Triples but this one works. Lovely.

Medium in body, low and slightly creamy carbonation, the mouthfeel fits well with the palate but there is nothing all that memorable about it.

Damn drinkable. The 8% abv is very well hidden. I wish it didn’t cost $5 a bottle. Still, a real treat would be some bleu cheese, grapes, apples, and wheat crackers and a bottle of Zatte and I would be a happy camper. Damn good. I purchased my bottle in Omaha. Worth a try, for sure!

bditty187, Mar 17, 2006
1.88/5  rDev -50%

Bottle marked from 03/05.

Pours a rich deep yellow with a great big creamy white head that laces my glass nicely.

Smell is malty rich and sweet with no hops present.

Taste is vinegar soaked cheese curds with a hint of sweetness. It is an oddly funky taste and I'm not sure if it is infected or oxidized or what.

Mouthfeel is thin and disappointing.

Never again. Is this what the brewer intended?

silenius, Nov 18, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

As a triple it looked like something else - like a an amber hefeweizen. It was dark orange and opaque with mild but pleasant triple scents. The taste was pleasant and refreshing with a lingering tartness in a rich body. Warming does nothing to bring out any other flavors. This is so easy going down – nothing too complicated or overbearing. The small size is not enough and while it is not world class I would love to have a few in a row.

lou91, Aug 29, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

330ml bottle, at the brewery

Pours with a dark golden body, hazy with a few yeasties. Foamy white head, dense with good retention

Smell, fresh bread, some hint of clove, little bit nutty, fresh wort (although the brewpub smells like fresh wort too, could have been partly that)

Taste, almondy, fairly smooth mouthfeel. Little bit of spice, fresh tasting

Another great one from t 'ij, not quite as good as columbus though

cypressbob, Jul 29, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

BB 8 05 or 06. Nice head and golden beercolor with lots of sediment. Nose is lots of koreander in a not 100% fresh stable. Has this one skunkyness or is it a sink/sewersmell? Anyway not fresh. Further good maltyness and a orange note. Taste is a lot better and is somehow a farmhouse but good. Sharp maltyness, good alcoholic note, (citrussy)fruity, balanced sweetness and aftertaste is spicy bitter. Too bad these IJ beers suffer a lot from productionproblems too often cause they can be very enjoyable.

paterlodie, Jul 22, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +9%

Yeast filled, glittering gold bullion with multiple streams of upwardly mobile bubbles. The cream colored head is currently filling half the glass and looks stiff enough to have a long, healthy life. Thick strands and small sheets of lace are beginning to be laid down. The middle portion of the glass is nicely encrusted when the beer is allowed to fall with drinking.

The powerful nose is funky, gamy, almost barnyard-like, and reminds me of a kinder, gentler, infinitely more pleasing relative of Orval. It's yeasty sour, spicy and fruity all at once. There's no trace of alcohol since it has undoubtedly been swamped by the more aggressive aromas. I'm not usually taken with noses of this sort, but this one appeals to me. It's both complex and exotic.

Zatte tastes exactly like it smells. It still reminds me of a 'baby' Orval in that it's musty, funky and horseblankety. I really didn't care for this flavor in Orval, but then it's been a while since I had one. It may be time for a revisit.

Perhaps the reason I'm finding Zatte more to my liking is that there's a fruity sweetness that keeps the funk in check. When I slurped the foam (I'm a slower learner when it comes to pouring Belgians) I tasted bananas. They aren't as apparent in the beer itself, although why that should be, I have no idea. Fresh bananas do make a brief appearance on the finish.

It's hard to say what spices have been used since they're an integral, although not an assertive, part of the flavor profile. This is another one of those complex beers that keeps its flavor elements in wonderful balance. The mouthfeel seemed too light initially. It eventually achieves medium with a mannered smoothness that is in keeping with the rest of its attributes. The addition of the final few ounces muddies up the appearance and kicks the flavor into high gear.

Zatte doesn't really taste like a tripel to me, but it is damn good. It has a wonderful taste bud saturating nature, a nearly infinite variety of flavors and is a joy in the mouth. I'm not sure if the '02 that is notched is the 'born on' or the 'best by' date. Either way, this bottle has held up remarkably well and may have even profited from its long rest.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 07, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wasn't overly impressed by any of the IJ products and this one- good and all- wasn't an exception.

Pour kinda threw me off after tasting the Scharrel Wit because I thought they'd just poured me another one of the same. looks orange, bright, with a medium white head that has considerable retention.

The nose is very distinctive, because it's far fruitier than the wit. much as the flavour, it brings accross an interesting blend of mandarine and maracuja- a bit citrusy sour at the same time- and then ends in a strong, yet balanced bitterness.

Full-bodied, definetly, with the carbonation consistent to the sort of beer it is. worth trying.

Andreji, Jun 30, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours orangish yellow in appearance. Smell is slightly sweet but very faint. Taste is slightly sweet. When I bought this from Cloverleaf fellow BA'er Putnam mentioned root vegetables. I would agree with that. There is a beet or parsnip flavor in the background. Not the sweetest or best tasating of the tripels I've had. Slightly metallic in taste. Has a slight tang to it.

mjohn27603, Jun 16, 2005