Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
to view more.
Ratings: 875 | Reviews: 458
3.62/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden color. Fizzy white head that recedes leaving a small ring of lacing around the edge. Visible carbonation.

Aroma leads with funk. Tangy, citrus flavors, with notes of pepper wheat, and yeast.

Taste is very refreshing. Salty, sweet, very tangy, just like the aroma. Some apple notes as well, with a mix of green and red apple. Has an apple juice kind of flavor to it. No alcohol at all whatsoever. A little bit of sourness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is light. Crisp and refreshing. Ridiculously easy to drink. I could drink about 12 of these in one sitting. No hint of alcohol to slow you down.

Overall, this one doesn't do it for me. Tastes too much like apple juice and not enough like beer. Not a bad taste, but not what I'm looking for in a beer.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Had this for the first time last night up at the Cloverleaf Tavern. Even though it's hard to find, I enjoy this style because of how smooth it can be and for the recessed alcohol. Not often that I find a beer that's a session and has a good flavor profile to it but that was the case here, as the bottle correctly stated that there was just enough salt in here to taste without overpowering everything else. By looks alone, this appeared to be a Hefeweizen due to the sediment that was at the bottom of the bottle.

Good pour to this as the beer came out golden, opaque, and left soapy bubbles that came down the side of my glass after swirling this around. Not a big head (but what was present defiantly lasted for a while) and not a lot of carbonation to be seen even though I could certainly taste the bubbles in this. Sourness, coriander, and some salt were in the taste as the wheat, light pepper, and funk came in underneath it. The salt gave this a heavier taste than I anticipated as if this was made with mineral water or was an Icelandic beer but I think the wheat really saved the day here, especially after swirling it out of the bottle at the end. Was this because this beer was German or just particular to this one Gose? My answer was not to be found during my time with this.

I"m sure there was alcohol in here somewhere but I never found it and like the attempt to get to the center of the Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop, the world may never know. Beers don't come around like this very often and combined with the interesting label on the 11.2 oz bottle that I was handed at the bar, I knew that I was lucky to have this for my "one off" required to earn my PhD there. I wish more Gose beers were available since this was proof that lighter isn't always weaker. A must-have for anyone looking to kick back and just enjoy beer without any hops, booze, or strength coming into play.

4.64/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Refreshing and tart, this beer is awesome. Last time I ordered one (on tap at Lively Brewing) I learned it was brewed with salt, and it was noticeable and wonderful (but not something my unsophisticated palette noticed before). A beer style that I'd like to explore some more.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Received in a tulip from tap.

4.0 A: Murky medium orange color. Two fingers frothy white head. Retention is decent with spotty lacing.

3.75 S: Lots of pepper with a salty tanginess. Strong neutral wheat. Touch of lemon fruitiness.

3.75 T: Salt dominates the taste, but it isn't overpowering. It mixes well with peppery yeast. Stronger lemon than the nose. Hint of clove underneath.

4.0 M: Medium body. Pleasantly creamy with good moderate carbonation.

3.75 D: Very good for a hard to find style.

A little bland. Couldn't really taste the lacto.

3.08/5  rDev -20.8%

Had to buy it just for the crazy bottle. Pours a slightly hazy solar yellow with an average off-white head. Aroma is wheaty and yeasty with a subtle undertone of citrus, average but still inviting. Flavor - hey, not too shabby; wheat, sour citrus and yeast notes, rather tart. Texture, though is rather thin and lacking in fizz. Unfortunately, the presentation is the best part about this beer; still, it’s worthy of a try. Maybe it’s better on-tap or in a smaller bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic! Taste like a great home brew!

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle Poured into tulip

Appearance: golden cloudy color with a white 1 finger head. Not much lacing

Aroma: some biscuit malt. Funky yeast. Coriander

Taste: matches the aroma with a little salty flavor at the end. Not like eating salt. But balances it nicely.

Moithfeel: medium light bodied

Overall: very nice example of a gose. Very tasty and refreshing

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Hazy gold with a 1” white foam collar that quickly descends to a thick film.
S: Fruity, cidery aroma
T: Lemony tanginess balanced by light malt, salt and coriander.
F: Light, tart and highly carbonated.
O: A very drinkable summer beer.

3.87/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A: A finger of quickly fleeting head poured from the bottle. tight white bubbles and fizzed away to almost nothing. The beer is dark gold with moderate haze and a persistent stream of bubbles flowing up from the bottom.

S: Mild fresh bread, biscuit and sweet wheaty aroma with a slight toasted character. Subtle lemon tartness in the aroma followed by mild citrus zing.

T: Restrained pilsner malt flavor with fresh baked bread and light toasted bread crust and wheat. Malt profile is very similar to the aroma but with that classic German lager taste (which I still can’t define). Light mineral flavor with low tartness with lemon, lime, kiwi flavors coming to mind. Mild bubble gum flavor comes through as the beer warms up. Overall very balanced and extremely refreshing.

M: Crisp finish with a light, refreshing body. Carbonation is moderate to high with no hint of alcohol. This is a beer you can drink a gallon of.

O: My first Germanic Gose and its good to have a compass to compare the American interpretations of the style. Like most styles I find the American version bigger with more tart / salt and aroma. This however is far more drinkable and approachable for the non sour lover. I think I prefer the Anderson Valley, but I wouldn’t turn this down - And would love to taste a fresh one.

3.02/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Dirty ocean water. That's all

4.29/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A pleasantly tart, sour, and wheaty beer.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Citrus, herbal, with a little spice
decent session beer that pairs well with curry.

3.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Intriguing beer. Purchased in MA as imported from the former DDR - now Germany. Well worth a try! Would probably fit in as a thirst quencher in the summer!

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours an opaque deep straw producing barely 1.5 fingers of shortlived, foamy, white head that leaves no lacing. Aroma has a low but nice wheat profile & I detect what I would call pilsner malts. It is crisp, clean & dry with hints of tart fruit & brine (which the brewery says should be be below what humans can distinguish as salt). Taste opens with lactic acid sourness, wheat & a hint of coriander & finishes peppery, clean, crisp, dry with faint salinity (again) & tart fruit. Aftertaste is salty wheat, coriander with briney lemon, lime & tart green apple. Easier to drink than the American versions I have tried due to less lactic acid sourness & salt. Mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation that rapidly dissipates as the brew warms, lightly astringent, prickly & dry.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a straw yellow with lively looking carbonation, small head and minimal lace. Aroma first hits you with salty tones but becomes more malty as it warms. I dug the taste; not too salty or sour, hint of lemon and enough of a malty backbone to make it drinkable. Good feel; light and refreshing. Great for a hot day. The first time I tried Gose I poured it down the drain. This one, my 2nd one, I liked. Either it is becoming an acquired taste or I simply like this one better.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw/gold with lots of carbonation and a big white head. Sediment was noticeable at bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: Smells of spices, citrus, a little pepper and some wheat toast.

Taste: Tasty beer. It has a somewhat subtle flavor, with spices and salt hitting the taste buds first followed by oranges, lemons and a touch of that wheat toast note that was present in the nose.

Mouthfeel: It's very soft on the palate. Easy drinking and approachable. Almost summery.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Makes me want to try more of the style. Five bucks per bottle is a little steep, but I'd surely have it again.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasty gose. Good example of the style.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Light, refreshing, citrusy. Not too much salt or sourness. Westbrook Gose, this is not. Much more traditional.

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

No date on the bottle, although I've had it well over a year. I'm thinking it's about two years old. The bottle I have is the "spezialitat" which has a wide base and long neck.

Appearance: The beer has a thin white head that goes away fast leaving no lacing. The body is a golden orange color that is slightly hazy.

Aroma: I get a sweet coriander aroma. It's very prominent, especially for being collared so long.

Taste: It has a very light wheat flavor and a hint of coriander. It's very mellow .

Mouthfeel: There is a slight tartness around the edge but not strong. The beer is light all-around.

Overall: It's a great beer. I wasn't getting a whole lot of wheat flavor our sourness from the beer, but it was very enjoyable. It's a nice light drink that could be enjoyed with about anything. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried a Gose (and those who have) who enjoy coriander spiced witbiers. I would buy it again.

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a hazed golden/yellow color. At first a pillowing white head rises to about two fingers, then fizzles out. Thin, film like lace.
S: Earthy a musty like up front. Tangy orange and lemon aromas, with a spicy finish.
T: Up front is just ever so slightly tart and acidic. That quickly gives way an earthy character. Juicy, and sweet fruits like orange and lemon, and again finishes with a bit of peppery spice.
M/D: A light body with a soft and smooth feel. Just slightly prickly carbonation. Down in big gulps, wait, where to the liquid go. Gone in a second, and I wish I picked up a few more.

I'm a fan. Not to many true German Gose's available, and this seems to fit the bill from the handful of others I have had. It is soft and subtle, but really enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

.5L bottle poured into a craft tumbler.

A- Hazy, light golden yellow. Some white-ish highlights. Almost Wit-like in appearance. Head is white and solid, but doesn't retain for long.

S- Very complex. Lacto gives off the tangy fruity aroma. Coriander adds depth with a spicy earthy aroma. The malt character gives off a nice baked bread smell.

T- Sweet, some fruit, and some spice. Not as tart as I thought it would be.

M- Very sweet. Just a slight tartness. The finish is pretty wet, but this is where I detect the salt, with a very slight dry feeling.

O- Very interesting flavors come together here. Very delicious.

4.49/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a hazy gold. White head. Smells of crackery wheat and bright coriander. Taste is crisp, acidic, citric with fruitiness from the coriander. Salt is very delicate. Much more subtle than US versions. Mouthfeel is smooth with mild prickling carbonation. Awesome beer. Wish this were in 6 packs.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Light refreshing slightly sour witg a nice malty finish.

to view more.