Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 889 | Reviews: 462
Reviews by coalbaron:
4.65/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at the brewery in leipzig. It was awesome. Definately something different. A great regional specialty. Having a tough time finding it in the US. Well worth a taste if you havent tried it before. Taste was awesome. Very refreshing. Bought a large bottle at the brewery. Excellent bottled as well.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I simply adore this beer. I picked up just one bottle of it at Discount in Milwaukee a couple of days ago. I’m kicking myself now for not getting more. Time to harass Maduro into getting a barrel I think…

This was my first Gose so I’m not reviewing it within the confines of the style, just as a standalone brew.

Appearance: Bright and beautiful orange copper with a thick dollup of white cream that lasts for a really long time. Carbonation streams are beautiful and keep small amounts of yeast and herbs suspended. As I empty my weizen glass and go back to the bottle for more I get a generous pour of yeast, turning the brew light brown and completely cloudy (it was initially totally transparent).

Nose: Musty earth, herbaceous in the extreme, wheaty, slightly funky. There is lemon and lime in there. Just hints of funk. Awesome! Coriander and hay.

Taste: Comes on like a hefeweizen mixed with an amber, all fruity wheat and caramel and then bam, pow, slam, funk. Lemons and grapefruit rinds coated in that sour sugar at the bottom of a bag of sour patch kids hit you upside the palate. Pepper dries it all out and the coriander keeps it sweet enough to be balanced. A lot of this is reminding me of lambic but unlike lambic, this beer has a really solid, deeply earthy base. This is a full beer, a man’s beer, a German beer. It just manages to have some interesting funkiness to it too.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice creaminess that balances out the funkiness.

Drinkability: I could session this for sure.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a light golden color with a great fluffy head that left some light lacing,aroma is of lemons with a hint of mineral.Taste is light and refreshing pretty acidic with that saltiness showing thru in the finish and aftertaste wich was more pronounced than what I thought it would be.A great easy drinker I think would be great on a hot summer day here in Carolina.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance – Deep, dark hazy orange-brown in color with some serious sediment and carbonation. The head looked like a big fluffy weizen head, leaving mounds of shaving-cream foam all over the inside of my Weihenstephan glass.

Smell – There’s a beautiful deep yeast aroma here that reminds me (again) of a fine Hefe Weizen. The coriander promised on the bottle label comes out nicely as well.

Taste – I hate to repeat myself, but this tastes like a spicy weizen with maybe a hint of tartness of some kind. The salt comes on strong at the tongue, making this a very unique brew.

Mouthfeel – This one was full and fluffy with some quality carbonation and a pillowy consistency.

Drinkability – I thought the salt was a little overpowering, although I guess it is typical of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

I've had this once before but don't really recall it.

It's hazy gold with a reluctant white head.

Soft coriander nose. A bit of an oceanic quality with fruit and citrus. Like a wheat beer that isn't quite sure of its origin.

A hint of tartness quickly flows int sweet malt, apricot and raisin, and coriander.

A light bodied, low alcohol, unique refresher. Not something I'll be craving often, but unique regardless.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

bottle poured into a Schneider weisen glass.

A: being a german wheat beer I assumed I should throw the yeast in. Im not sure if that was such a good idea. Sludgy brown, lots of floaties, appearance score suffers.

S: Familiar German wheat aromas yet strangely distant. Apples, really light banana, pastry dough, a little husky.

T/M: Soft up front, barely ripe green apples, wheat, grain, then a flash of the lactic acid. Unique and strange, just a touch of tart with a fair amount of acidity. Lemon, and even hints of butterscotch. Surprisingly and refreshingly light on the coriander. Salt shows on the finish and dries. Creamy in the mouth but lacking some body.

D: Very high. Low ABV, light body, interesting = quaffable.

Fine print: I know nothing of this style as this is the first Ive ever had so hard to pick accurate numbers for the beer stylistically. That being said, very cool and Id gladly pick up again. Cheers.

Cool 1 pint .9fl oz bottle, just wish I had the glass on the bottle to pour it into! Pours instead into my tulip glass a somewhat murky dark orange with a half inch of arid white head. Aromas begin with light, somewhat bready wheat and citrus tones. Coriander is there with some underlying spiciness. Slightly yeasty with a saltwater edge. Interesting stuff.

First sip brings a nice bready wheat maltiness upfront followed by a lemony, citric flavor. A nice coriander spiciness works in with the yeast and brings a somewhat earthy flavor. The brew is a touch acidic. It flows down with a faint saltwater character that adds an interesting twist to the beer.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp, goes down almost too easily. This beer is a nice change of pace and quite refreshing. I could see myself drinking buckets of this on a hot summer day. A style that I wouldn't mind seeing explored a bit more often. Track yourself down some of this and give it a shot!

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap, served in a pilsner glass. Hazy gold color, thick white head, tiny bit of lacing. Aroma of wheat and citrus. Very tart lemon taste, some malt. Well-balanced. The beer had a real piquancy to it, and was very refreshing on a hot summer day. Will have it again.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Welcome to another edition of "I Could Drink This Beer All Day!" Today's guest beer... Leipziger Gose!!

Cloudy gold with w hite fluffy head. The aroma was neat as hell - coriander with a backdrop of estery wheat. Mmm...

The glass is too small. I don't care if you're holding a liter maas of it - the glass is too small. Starts with a slightly tart, lemony background under a wheat malt and coriander blanket with some banana esters thrown in. Some slight saltiness, but since I just finished a KUL (with an aftertaste like Alka-Seltzer) it seemed a bit subdued over what I was expecting. Very creamy mouthfeel with somewhat light body. Finishes as it starts - lemon, coriander, wheat malt and esters, dash of salt. Damned drinkable.

PintofAle nailed it - like a cross between a wit and a hefeweiss. A friend of mine said it tasted like a Rotbusser (obscure German wheat/oat ale) with coriander added. If you see this - try it. Excellent brew.

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On Tap at novare res

Served in a sunner Kolsch glass.

The beer is a very nice golden straw color. The beer is slightly cloudy with a amber hue. The head is bright white

The nose is subtle but nice. The beer is malty, and a slight tart and almost strawberry aroma.

The flavor is very nice, perfect summer beer a slight tart and berry flavor. The flavors are very delecate and remind me almost of wine.

Overall this is a nice beer

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Served from a bottle that appears identical to the picture here. Pours a mostly clear, burnt orange body, with active carbonation evincing a mass rush of tiny bubbles to the surface. Two finger, ivory head has lots of perserverence, and leaves considerable patches of lace down the glass.

Aroma is malty, spicy, and reveals a note of ocean seawater.

Mouthfeel borders on exceptional. Spritzy carbonation and a light body are highlighted by a clean, ocean saltwater zing.

Taste is, surprisingly, subdued. There is a tingly character all the way down, from the mild spiciness and clean, ocean saltwater background. The coriander is difficult to identify, but a mild spiciness is evident throughout. Solid malt backbone keeps everything in check. None of the flavors jump up and overwhelm the palate. This is just a new and interesting style(for me) that is very quaffable, and pleasant.

Excellent drinkability. I'm surprised that this style is not more common. Clean and light bodied enough to drink several of these in a sitting, if on an unlimited budget.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into an Erdinger glass from one of the most unique bottles I have seen...not the one pictured here.

Appearance: one inch head, high carbonation, bright golden yellow in color, murky

Smell: banana, wheat, and some funk

Taste: wheat, some lemon, clove, orange, and funk

Mouthfeel: silky smooth, light body, sweet, and crisp, medium/high carbonation

Drinkability: A very interesting wheaty beer. This beer is incredibly subtle and soft in its flavors. I could sip on several of these and do want it again. Would be really interested to try this on tap.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Tap @ Hamiltons. First gose I've had. Poured a hazy, but bright yellow-gold with a fizzy yellow head. Lots of tiny bubbles in the carbonation. Floral aroma, as in, I smell rose bushes. Toasted bread, lemon, and wheat. Popping mouthfeel that enhances the acididy of the beer. Sweet, spiced flavor with a lot of acidity. Tangy wheat and a strange lime/yeast/flower petal taste. Dry crisp finish. It was nice, just impossible to pin down what it was. Interesting, and a good sour.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a very hazy, yeasty, light copper color with a quarter inch of slightly off-white head that resides mostly at the perimiter. Nose is of wheat, sweet and spicy, somewhat orange, subtle not strong.
Taste upfront is wheat and a bit of orange; there's a hint of bitterness, and the salt is evident to me in the aftertaste. There's certainly more there that I'm not capturing in the description, but I'm failing to find the appropriate words.
Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but not sticky or offensive. Pretty crisp on the finish.
Very interesting style; haven't had anything like it before, still trying to wrap my mind around it. Certainly worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

A: Hazy gold with a 1” white foam collar that quickly descends to a thick film.
S: Fruity, cidery aroma
T: Lemony tanginess balanced by light malt, salt and coriander.
F: Light, tart and highly carbonated.
O: A very drinkable summer beer.

4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- cloudy straw color, some cloudiness

s- some lactic acid, grainy aroma

t - some tartness which balances malts, not as tart as Berliner Weiss, dry finish, hops not prominant

m - medium bodied

d - makes me thirsty, the salt keeps it from being refreshing

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is pretty crazy beer, I've had Scott Smith's Here it Gose Again...East End brewed gose. This will be my first German brewed authentic version, pours a deep yellow orange golden cloudy color with a bright white head. Label calls it a beer brewed with coriander and salt. Fine lacing left behind between sips beautiful looking brew. Aroma at first was bit sulfurous with a brisk wind of sea salt and lemon peel citrus blends with coriander spice. Flavor is impressive, really unique great tasting beer I'm glad I finally gave this a try. Every time I had seen it before it was in a crazy shaped flip top bottle with a pretty high price tag. This 11.2 oz brown bottle for 3 something a bottle seemed much more fair for never having a real version of this stuff. Spicy coriander flows with tart lemon flavor perfect German wheat beer with a hint of salt, not salty you can more or less get the mineral aspect. Mouthfeel is light bodied super effervescent CO2 on the high end. Really interesting unique beer that I will be revisiting in the future...excellent stuff.

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Finally found a smaller bottle of this.
Poured a light muddy brown color, a nice shade of dunkel weizen.
One finger of head holds steady with bubbles actively rising. some spotty lacing.
Aroma- wheat, tart, yeasty.
Mouthfeel- slightly tart, yeasty, sweet. Again, this reminds me of Natty's Dunkel-Weizen. A froth on the palate releases some hop bitterness. I get a little of the salt on the finish-coriander is faint and is lost in the yeast for me. Beer is very tasy. I was expecting something more complex but I am not disappointed.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy gold color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with a good amount of grassiness. As it warms a small amount of tart fruit aromas waft out.

Tastes very good. Wheat flavors up front are joined by mildly herbal hops and ends with a slight tartness. I tried to taste any hint of the salt but got nothing.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall this is a tasty beverage. This is my first gose and was fairly impressed. Worth a shot.

Nice. Quite salty, spicy and citric. Some cloves. Lightly tart and acidic. Mouthcovering palate, while not being to heavy, left me wanting more after every sip. NIce dry, light, yet palate covering, everything seemed to be in its right place. Cool bottle too. Great beer. Thanks Per.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

1 pint .9 fl oz served in a pilsner glass

A-crystal clear orange golden color with a big billowy off-white head and lots of strong carbonation

S- bready aroma with hits of honey and coriander and pils malt. Some very faint plastic or chemical hints.

T- sweet light maltyness with a spicy clove aftertaste with a hint of banana/wheat. A slight saltwater taste hangs in the back of my throat, but it is more pleasant that painful. No hop presents in any part of the tasting.

M- Thick mouth with light carbonated mouthfeel

D- This is a very unique smooth beer. It has a good pale malt taste with a nice spicy finish. Very nice for a summer quafting beer. Nothing to shock the tastebuds but a good solid beer.

4.64/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Refreshing and tart, this beer is awesome. Last time I ordered one (on tap at Lively Brewing) I learned it was brewed with salt, and it was noticeable and wonderful (but not something my unsophisticated palette noticed before). A beer style that I'd like to explore some more.

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From what little I know this looks like what I expect: a pale to medium yellow beer that's heavily hazed. A white head shows some staying power despite its small stature, also leaving more than moderate patching on the walls of the glass.
It smells more like a sour Saison than anything. It's lightly sour and slightly spicy with an earthier Belgian yeast note and some citrus peel.
It's mildly salty but certainly on the lighter side. It's gently acidic and quite lemony all around, juice as well as pithy, bitter peel. The coriander is somewhat more noticeable in the flavor than the aroma and works with the earthy aspect well.
It's light-bodied and refreshing, lightly crisp and almost fluffy.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a half liter Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

A- Huge foamy head like many wheat beers... Persists well and leaves behind a scattered lace about the glass... Body is a cloudy pale golden color with no carbonation visible.

S- Lemony and wheaty with a heavy mineral aroma, hint of sweet malt... Something funky and buttery... I thought I got a lactose element and thought I was crazy, but I see lactic acids added, so maybe I'm not.

T- Tart, lemony with a slight coriander spiced bite, some wheat and a lingering saltiness. I start noticing more of a fruit-character, like berries, as the beer warms.

M- Smooth light and tart with a crisp finish. This beer is like a slightly sour pils.

Tasty but I was a bit thrown off by the milk and butter hints I was getting. For me, it stopped it from being great. Still, I found it good.

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow hue, with a few fingers of foamy white head, which leaves thin webbed lace as it melts away. It smells of lemon citrus, wheat, and floral, grassy hops. The taste is sour, acidic lemon, sweet wheat grain, and herbal hops. The carbonation is fairly muted, the body a bit thin and oily, and it finishes dry and lemony.

A nicely refreshing, and surprisingly sour fruity beer. Right up my alley.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof