Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
4.97/5  rDev +27.4%

I grew up on "well" water. We had two taps: one straight from the well and one that ran through "softener." This tastes like pure softener. Not "salty," rather, vaguely mineral and sandy in texture that gives the flavor a broad, fluffy texture to stand on.
The flavor is deliciously dry, with easy, sour orange acidity, damp concrete, and a grassy, branchy herbal snap on the finish. The color is a rich, cloudy brown/orange.
Another beer of ethereal quality from B. United.

4.92/5  rDev +26.2%

This brew pours a cloudy orange color with a billowing white head. The aroma is of banana and coriander; like a really big witbier. The taste is of banana and coriander. It walks the fine line of being mellow while still being flavorful. The mouthfeel is slightly lighter the medium bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have ever had. It is sad that this style is so overlooked by American brewers.

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

This beauty pours a gorgeous dark cloudy copper color with swirling yeast dregs and a grandiose crown of a head that is creamy and rocky. Fantastic lacing that lasts the entire beer. Salty yeast and wheat aromas with hints of vanilla, banana, pepper, and coriander, definitely can smell the coriander. Taste is smooth and full of sweet wheat beer esters (banana, cloves, touch of vanilla) then the salty/pepper flavor comes through in the middle and adds a dryness and mineral content, then finally the finish is bready and yeasty. Amazing! I could best describe this beer as a combination of a superb Hefeweizen with the best components of a Wit beer added. Awesome. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.87/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into stange.

Bottle lists ABV at 4.6%.

A - Slightly cloudy straw yellow in color. About an inch and a half of white head rises somewhat slowly and takes forever to disappear; a testament to how much wheat is in this beer. Lots of bubble activity with some of the biggest bubbles I've ever seen rising from the bottom. Minimal, spotty lacing. One of the most unique beers I've seen.

S - Wow, this smells very different from anything I've encountered, and I love it. There is a top note of something very perfumey and flowery, but it's obvious these aromas aren't imposed by hops; orange flower water immediately comes to mind. Coriander makes an appearance and blends beautifully with rich, tangy, citrusy wheat malt.

T - This stuff keeps getting better. The citrus of the wheat hits first with just the right amount of tangy-ness. The coriander creeps in adding another layer of flavor to the wheat but it's role is largely secondary. Mid palate the perfume-like quality comes in full force, again reminiscent of the effect that orange flower water has on a cocktail. Late palate the coriander takes center stage, and the addition of salt becomes most obvious as the once tart wheat malt takes on a brine-y flavor. Finish is quite clean with just a hint of something between orange peel and lemon juice.

M - Light bodied but sturdy. Carbonation is moderate to low. Part of me things this could be improved with a bit more effervesence, but I'm not entirely sure. Nothing here detracts from the beer however.

D - A great beer that I could drink every day. Superbly balanced and highly unique. Refreshing and low in alcohol; this is a tough beer to beat in terms of drinkability. Take a witbier and a Berliner-weisse, and Leipziger Gose would be the child. Though this is my first time trying a gose, I would not hesitate to buy more if it were available. I do hope to see more beers of this style in the future, as this is an extraordinary beverage.

4.82/5  rDev +23.6%

Just picked this up at Putnam's shop... The label says that it's brewed with salt, and, man, I believe it. Great, intriguing flavors...

A lemon zest character is one of the predominant, fragrant aromas that arise from the glass. Strong floral smell. As it warms, it has in the nose a sort of muted sugar sweetness that reminds me of saltwater taffy. The tangy flavor smacks of citric acid and suits the light body well. So it seems to start off as a simple refresher, but a very textured mid-palate leads to an almost-salty flavor that masks any big finish and lingers for minutes afterwards. If you even think of serving this at refrigerator temperature, smack yourself around a little bit. The aromas and flavors are too interesting to subdue.

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

.5 liter bottle. Pours a hazy yellowish brown color. The large foamy head lasts a long time, and there are nice clumps of lace on the side of my .5 liter weissbier glass. The aroma is fruit (lemon and apple), yeast, spices, and a little funk. The flavor is fruity, much like tart apples. There is a malty wheat flavor, and little hop flavor or bitterness. The balance comes from the salt. There is a coriandor flavor, but it is not as strong as in many spiced Belgian beers. Very crisp and refreshing. This beer tasted weird to me at first, but the more I drank, the more I loved it. I could drink this stuff all the time.

4.77/5  rDev +22.3%

I have had this on tap in Leipzig a few times, and I wonder if it's better in Leipzig--most reviewers here say the salt is in the aftertaste, but I have always found the salt to be close to the front of the taste palate. It's cloudy gold with a two-finger head and smells like sweet seawater mixed with a wheat beer.

I think the taste is a treat--I get the salt/sea/spice/brine at the beginning, and then that gives way to a prickly sweet taste with some apple flavors and a tart wheat backbone, with a bit of the brine and salt again in the finish. The mouthfeel is light, smooth, and bright. Truly a one-of-a-kind beer, I would consider moving to Leipzig just so I could have this all the time.

4.68/5  rDev +20%

Poured into a Southampton Double White glass.

Pours a clear golden/straw, with a big stark white head. Head of about two and a half fingers drops slowly to about an eigth of an inch of foam. Decent lacing.

Aroma of salt and coriander, wheat. No hop aroma. Grainy malt makes the barest of appearences.

First sip is of wheat, coriander, citrusy, almost sour tang. Lemons. Firm carbonic bite. No hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium/light, with a slickness from the salt. Strong prickle from the carbonation. Very refreshing beer, this would make a great summer thirst quencher.

Overall, fantastic beer. Low in alcohol, flavors are not aggressive or over the top. Very easy drinking beer. Quite enjoyable. Outstanding example of the style.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Welcome to another edition of "I Could Drink This Beer All Day!" Today's guest beer... Leipziger Gose!!

Cloudy gold with w hite fluffy head. The aroma was neat as hell - coriander with a backdrop of estery wheat. Mmm...

The glass is too small. I don't care if you're holding a liter maas of it - the glass is too small. Starts with a slightly tart, lemony background under a wheat malt and coriander blanket with some banana esters thrown in. Some slight saltiness, but since I just finished a KUL (with an aftertaste like Alka-Seltzer) it seemed a bit subdued over what I was expecting. Very creamy mouthfeel with somewhat light body. Finishes as it starts - lemon, coriander, wheat malt and esters, dash of salt. Damned drinkable.

PintofAle nailed it - like a cross between a wit and a hefeweiss. A friend of mine said it tasted like a Rotbusser (obscure German wheat/oat ale) with coriander added. If you see this - try it. Excellent brew.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

Saw this on display at the local fine beer and wine store and couldn't wait to try this unique and rare style. If you are trying this brew, read the wikipedia entry about the style...it's quite interesting.

A - This bottle with the happy German wiping the foam from his mustash is very cool, and informs us that it is brewed with coriander and salt. The brew itself is a dirty brown, almost green shade and very cloudy with a small abount of floaties near the bottom. The three finger head is lush and relatively long lasting. Lots of creamy lace coats the glass.

S - Very hefewiezen-like in aroma, but with a sea-breeze salty scent. Smells sweet and creamy, but lively and green at the same time.

T - Unique weizen-like taste with a firm saltine cracker malt and a very salty flavor that is actually really damn good! The coriander lends an acidic biterness that is very different from the two predominating sources of bitterness in beer (that is, hops or roasty stout malt).

M - Light and creamy with an acidic sting that you can feel on the back of your tongue. Very salty...makes me cluck my tongue. Extremely unique mouthfeel.

D - Outstanding. This may be a favorite sessioner! I hope that more breweries start brewing this style....I love it!

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer at the brewery in leipzig. It was awesome. Definately something different. A great regional specialty. Having a tough time finding it in the US. Well worth a taste if you havent tried it before. Taste was awesome. Very refreshing. Bought a large bottle at the brewery. Excellent bottled as well.

4.64/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Refreshing and tart, this beer is awesome. Last time I ordered one (on tap at Lively Brewing) I learned it was brewed with salt, and it was noticeable and wonderful (but not something my unsophisticated palette noticed before). A beer style that I'd like to explore some more.

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I simply adore this beer. I picked up just one bottle of it at Discount in Milwaukee a couple of days ago. I’m kicking myself now for not getting more. Time to harass Maduro into getting a barrel I think…

This was my first Gose so I’m not reviewing it within the confines of the style, just as a standalone brew.

Appearance: Bright and beautiful orange copper with a thick dollup of white cream that lasts for a really long time. Carbonation streams are beautiful and keep small amounts of yeast and herbs suspended. As I empty my weizen glass and go back to the bottle for more I get a generous pour of yeast, turning the brew light brown and completely cloudy (it was initially totally transparent).

Nose: Musty earth, herbaceous in the extreme, wheaty, slightly funky. There is lemon and lime in there. Just hints of funk. Awesome! Coriander and hay.

Taste: Comes on like a hefeweizen mixed with an amber, all fruity wheat and caramel and then bam, pow, slam, funk. Lemons and grapefruit rinds coated in that sour sugar at the bottom of a bag of sour patch kids hit you upside the palate. Pepper dries it all out and the coriander keeps it sweet enough to be balanced. A lot of this is reminding me of lambic but unlike lambic, this beer has a really solid, deeply earthy base. This is a full beer, a man’s beer, a German beer. It just manages to have some interesting funkiness to it too.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a nice creaminess that balances out the funkiness.

Drinkability: I could session this for sure.

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale goldenrod color that produced a nice cap of white froth. Decent retention.

(S)- A lively light yet crisp lemony tartness meets a subtle coriander-like salty spice to it. Ever so slight mild earthiness.

(T)- I really like the level of crisp lemony tartness this has. It quickly flows into a subtle salty spice element in the middle. Finishes dry with more of that lemony tartness again.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Light, crisp, and mildly tart. The essential beer for summertime in my opinion.

(O)- I have not had alot of experience with Gose yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying this one! I am really surprised this does not have a higher rating on this site. It is beautifully balanced and thrist quenchingly crisp. The perfect summertime beer.

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

I was a little concerned about trying this beer. Everything I read about this beer said that it was salty. I'm not a salt lover so I really wasn't sure if I wanted to put money into this. One night I was feeling lucky so I just figured I'd grab a bottle and split it with a friend of mine. The beer poured out as a golden yellow color with a light amount of haze to it. The smell of the beer had some fresh grainy aromas that filled my nose. The beer smelled pretty good. The taste was not as salty as I expected it to be. In fact I was actually trying to taste the salt and I wasn't really able to. The grains and malts were mostly what I was getting. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall this beer is worth trying. I had the opportunity to try it on tap once or twice but I chose not too. All in all It's worth a try.

Upon trying this again I'm seeing this as my favorite Gose, The American versions are getting too sour in my opinion. This brew has the perfect balance of saltiness and sour. I'm amping up my numbers on this because I truly feel this is the best of it's class. Really great stuff and should definitely be tried at some point if you're enjoying this style.

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: Very cloudy. The colors range from light gold to burnt orange when the glass is held up to the light. There isn't much head, but that's mostly due to an overly gentle pour.

Smell: Sour apple and spice. The spice is tight and powder-smooth. The sour apple flavor washes around inconspicuously beneath the spice.

Taste: Vague, soft, sour apple flavor washes over the taste buds. The coriander provides slightly nutty, cinnamon-like overtones. The coriander flavor ties the beer together nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and substantial. The carbonation is perfect. It gives a slight burn without being too harsh.

Verdict: This is a great "small" beer. The ABV is only 4.6%, but it never feels light on body or flavor. It's a sublime, effortlessly drinkable brew.

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%

Leipziger Gose

Pours a clear gold with a chill haze and a sea foam like head.
Aroma of dry wheat, and once again I must refer to sea foam, as there is a scent of saltwater. Light breadyness also.
Taste is tart, with a mild and palatable sour and definitely a little sodium bicarbonate. Savory and complex on the palate, tart, with mild coriander spice delicately interwoven with some wheat and citrus flavors. Euro pale malt body is there somewhere. Light bodied but with stinging carbonation. Overall, one of the most complex, authentic, and amazing beers I've had of German origin. Could drink this regularly.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

copied the following from my review of this beer last August in living social (Facebook):

Got this in specialty bottle of 0.75 l content at Abe's Cold Beer Store in Bethlehem, paid 18.00 $. This is the right drink for a very hot August night. So we had it last night.

Basically, it is like salty wheat beer. And we liked it! You know, you do need to fill up on salt on hot days like these, as you sweat your salt out. So this makes sense.

It is really very refreshing! Yeast is present, carbonation is not high. But the salt gives you the illusion of a high carbonation! Very interesting indeed!

This kind of beer (Gose) actually predates the Reinheitsgebot of 1516 by 300 years, so it has additional ingredients besides water, barley (malt) and hops: wheat and and coriander. And salt!

Originally from the (poor) small miners' town of Goslar, brewers moved to the much wealthier Leipzig in the rich upper-saxon kingdom during the middle ages. There it developped and became famous as a local specialty, although it had really been invented in Goslar centuries before.

I have recently tried a belgian "Geuze", which must be a belgian attempt to make their own version of this style. The Gose survived for almost 1.000 years, until after the war the communists took over East Germany. The brewery was not considered special, and eventually in the 1960s it was abandoned.

Only recently this brew has been revived again, and I am so glad this happened!
It reminds me a bit of a similar case, the Wismarer Mumme. Similar story: single guy is reviving an exstinct medieval beer, brewing and selling it in his own pub and restaurant.

Thank you for this beer, we really liked it!

Of course it is too expensive for a regular summer beer, but for a summer special occasion this is just right. As long as it is hot, you will find it refreshing! (If this would be drunken in colder wheather, it might not have the same effect. But all beers are seasonal, despite what Americans think...)

UPDATE: now it is available in small bottles (333 ml), we found them last week in Abe's store for 4.25 $ each. The historical bottle (750 ml content) was not seen at all. Good that we kept ours from last year!

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Presentation: My bottle looks just like the one in the picture. A half litre that drew me immediately as soon as I saw it – at last, the infamous Gose Style beer – and a chance to try it. Described as Brewed with Coriander and Salt.

Appearance: Clear amber gold body with a decent sized 3” white head that has a tint of beige. The mottled surface of the head collapses and leaves a thick sticky ring of lacing, akin to one of those markers that shows the level of the record village flood from 100 years ago. Throw in a few streamers and this really looks the business. A beauty.

Nose: Pungent, musty smells, almost like a sweaty salted beef mixed with freshly cut slices of lemons, limes & oranges. The Coriander is also there – and discernable. Farmyard aspects give a spicy cultured odor to this beer. Wow.

Taste: The best part for me – funky, extremely funky but in a very appealing way. Starts with a sour malt entrance, some spices rise to the middle, salty ending. As it warms lemon, grapefruits & orange rind all lend a freshly acidic twang; whilst the peppery nature of the beer balances this perfectly, all the time the spices, including but not limited to coriander, add a feisty lambic-like nature to the middle. Quiet amazing. All this and just 4.6%. This is most certainly new territory for me tonight.

Mouthfeel: Like a solid Pale Ale – it drinks very well and quenches the thirst easily, but it goes that extra yard, it tingles the tongue with a spritzy, randomly located pin pricks and it also teases the cheeks with dryness, and some farmyard funkiness at times that induces salivation after swallowing, just like a draft fresh lambic often does. Holy Shite this is so cool.

Drinkability: 'Gose' down *extremely* well – sorry couldn’t resist it. This is a quaffer for sure – I most certainly could drink this all night, especially with some good Cheese and Pickles. Damn, this would be THE beer to drink with an English Ploughman’s Lunch.

Overall: Never had anything like this, looks are deceptive; it easily could pass for a Pale Ale after the head settles. Certainly unique, which often means weird or freaky, but this is just different and a damn fine drinking beer that I really took to. Hmmm, I
may, I mean I must get some more of this.

Highly Recommended. Trad. Lambics fan will love it.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I was really excited to try this, as it's such a rare and resurrected style. Heck, Gose could be the new Wit. Also, I love a bit of diversity in the excellent but conservative beer expanse that is Germany. I'll bet ten Euros that 9.7 out of 10 Germans have never heard of this style.

Light brown with gold highlights. Opaque and obviously unfiltered. Medium fluffy white head that subsides to leave good lacing.

Aroma is a bit "yeasty" not in the German wheat style (melanoidins, phenols) but more like the earthiness of a Saison. Some coriander is apparent, but very subdued. Notes of honey. No hops in nose.

There is a hint of hop flavor, that is perfectly balanced by the faint tang of lactobacillus sourness. Malt character is fairly restrained and there is only a bit of residual sweetness. Dark wildflower honey flavors predominate, and I mean that in a good way.

Very drinkable. Excellent mouthfeel. Great substance for a beer of this gravity. No astringency from spices. Slightly sweet finish. Very refreshing and what Germans would call "sueffig" i.e. sessionable, quaffable, etc. Carbonation is medium-high, similar to Koelsch. If I didn't know there was salt in this, I wouldn't suspect it.

I really, really like this. This is a style that deserves to catch on a bit. Way more so than Alt and Koelsch, which are way overrated in the context of the U.S. craft brew scene. I also really appreciate a bit of sourness, an attribute that seems to have disappeared from most Wits in the last five years, or so.

Bottle was purchased at State Line (Elkton, MD) and served up in my Pinkus Alt glass, which is like a double-scale Koelsch Stange. While I was glad to find it (in apparently excellent condition), sadly German session beers don't really make sense at $3 a pop.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Half-liter bottle, in a weizen glass. I wish I had a gose glass, but without one, one of my many weizen glasses will work.

Appearance: Light orange-amber appearance, very turbid and cloudy. Small head.

Aroma: Witbier-like: coriander and wheat aroma.

Flavor/Body: Good deal of wheat flavor, and weizen-like clovey phenols rise up after a moment. Some fruitiness, but not identifiable as to what fruit. Finish is acidic, and salt is lightly detectable. Body is medium-light, leading to a very quaffable beer.

This is only the 2nd bottle I've had of this very distinctive beer (bought off the internet, as it's not distributed here). The first time, a couple years back, I thought I tasted the salt a lot more than I do now. I think this would be a perfect beer with some semi-soft cheeses (like Chimay's wonderful cheeses).

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

500ml bottle served in a Stone Old Guardian glass (no, the irony of this is not lost on me).
Pours a slightly hazy tarnished golden color with a strong white head and a pretty decent amount of lace.
Soft wheaty smells, spices, a bit of underlying hops. Somewhat muted aroma, but I can deal with it.
Taste is just wonderful. Somewhat sharp wheat notes begin followed by coriander and just a hint of hop bitterness. A slight sweetness penetrates the spicy flavors of this beer. The end is a sharp, salty flavor that just hits the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel is excellent, a very easy drinking beer for sure.
Overall, I could say that this would be my go-to beer for those hot summer days were it not so darn hard to find and just a bit above my threshold for session beers as far as price is concerned. Nevertheless, I could easily drink a bunch of this beer in a session with no problems at all. This is the kind of beer that makes me happy to advocate.

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a thin gold color typical of a german wheat beer - with yeast poured in it browns out quite heavily to a very earthy orange color. Had a huge pillowy head, soft and fluffy, exploding up to six inches full and was unbelievably well-retained. Calmed to a nice slice with a crown on top, aided by lots of carbonation underneath. Bit after bit of stain was left, often very thick. Just watching this beer is enough in itself.

Smelled of cloves, banana, salt, and coriander, with simple and straightforward tones to all of them. Full of full scents, simply. Tasted of a citrus base with notes of coriander and salt swirling about the palette. Had the great firm feel of a good weizen, producing a solid malt backbone, as well as the slightly sweetened sour flavor of a weizen, too. Though, the salt makes this sour more complex – moderately comparable to the more complex and nuanced sour of fine gueuzes. Yeast gives adds a great piece to balance the mix: earthy and almost roasty. Short finish starts off with the wet and refreshing taste of a wheat beer and then gets dried out by the salt; an interesting combination that works well. Also, I had a strong banana tasting burp, which for me is a good sign in a wheat beer.

In sum, a solid tasting hefe-weizen with small but sizable untraditional additions. One of the true great finds in the world of beer.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Special 1pt 9.4fl oz bottle from Wasatch in a recent trade. Very cool swingtop with a long neck on an oval shaped bottle. Very interesting, definitely a good one for the collection. Noted as 4.6% abv on the bottle.

A: Fairly cloudy deep gold, almost an orange color, white head about 1/4 of inch or so, pretty fair retention, not much lacing. Still a nice looking beer.

S: Tangy wheat malts, smells lemony, and maybe even a bit of barnyard funk just barely, not exactly that smell, but somewhat reminiscent of it. Smells quite bready. This smells quite tasty.

T: Quite wheaty and tart, has a definite lemon like quality, really not much bitterness, smooth easy going beer. Very flavorful on a hot day. Quite acidic, this almost has a puckering power. I know the style is known for using salt, but I can't really detect too much. This is an impressive beer. Quite tasty.

M: Slightly sour pucker, and acidic, smooth, light carbonation, and fairly dry. Goes down nice and begs for another sip.

D: This is one of the easiest drinking beers I've ever had. Goes down smooth, and doesn't feel like much, I'm sad I can't get this more readily, because after a long hot day, this would be prime-time. Excellent beer, highly recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

11.2oz bottle into stange glass at about 40 degrees.

Pours with a pretty impressive, effervescent white head, over top of an almost completely clear golden body and very little carbonation present.

Aromas are quite nice, dominated by a light lemon-citrus, and plenty of herbal and floral presence. Wheat malt in there, too.

Mouthfeel and flavor greet you with a tangy, tart citrus sharpness, well-rounded with a wheaty, bready smoothness. Some grassy, and leathery mustiness come thru in the middle. Light touch of spices, including the advertised corriander are in the finish. Great carbonation level.

Huge on the drinkability meter. This was fresh, crisp, and flowed so easily. I could go through 10 of these on a long summer afternoon.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof