Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 888 | Reviews: 462
1.65/5  rDev -57.7%

$4.95 for a bottle at Beertopia.

Wow, this is the worst bottle I've had is a long time.

The sediment was intimidating to begin with, like ice tea that has an abundant of pepper flakes floating around. The aroma has a distinct sourness to it with some sort of fruit added in. The taste - wait for it - holy shit that's nasty! All I can pick out is sour fruit and grain alcohol that comes together in a complete mess that made me grimace and try to keep my tongue from imploding. I hope this is a bad bottle and that other people don't think this is worthy of A's and B's.

In case you couldn't guess, this is a drain pour.

1.86/5  rDev -52.3%

12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A: It's a lively bright yellow pale color with a fizzy head, to the tune of a little over a finger's worth.

S: Distinct aroma of human armpit. Not stellar. Maybe faint spices in there as well (probably the coriander). There is also a tangy apple-cider smell.

T: It tastes worse than it smells. It actually tastes not unlike Busch Light. The coriander and salt are quite evident. The finish is a tangy, tart, hard cider kind of dryness. It tastes like a mixture of light beer, cider, and seltzer water.

M: The mouthfeel is incredibly thin and fizzy. I just can't shake the sensation that I'm drinking seltzer.

D: If you can get over the taste and smell, this would probably be fairly drinkable.

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

I found a bottle of this at a local German deli and decided to give it a shot, having no previous knowledge of the brew.

Upon opening the bottle I was greeted with a black muck around the inside of the neck, and an odor resembling that of a poor tequila. I figured since it was bottle brewed this was normal. I poured it into a tall glass and observed very little head. I tried a small sip, it was kind of a weird taste, elements of a heff in that it had a very lemony taste. I couldn't taste the coriander as I can with something like a Blue Moon White beer.

Overall I wasn't impressed, it just didn't have a good complex, taste, or feel. I wouldn't drink this again.

2.43/5  rDev -37.7%

From notes:

Pours a murky, golden yellowish mustard brown color with a one finger foam white head. Decent retention, fading into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

The aroma of this beer has quite a bit going on. Hints of citrus peel, wheat, bread, spice, earthy and lemon juice.

Soft carbonation with sweet citrus flavor up front followed by a spicy and earthy presence mid palate and an odd salty dry finish. Hints of lemon zest, clove, salt and slight hops.

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

500ml bottle, no dating

Pours what appears to be murky brown but actually a pinkish rose when held to light, with small amount of sediment floating in glass (from partial pour). Minimal head, but lacing sticks around for the duration.

Unique scent which is immediately fruity, mainly of tart cherries, but I can detect the saltiness after a good spell.

Salty, bitter, metallic. Wheat comes through after a few initial sips. Best flavor description I can garner is tonic water with added salty.

Crisp but full in body. One of its highlights.

Drinkability? You will either enjoy this for what it is, or absolutely hate it. Me, I had to add syrup halfway through, just to finish it. Besides the flavor, it made my stomach queasy with every sip.
As much as I love every other beer style from the great nation of Germany, I think this one needs to go by the wayside.

2.46/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

If you choose to buy this beer, I hope you are not ambivalent about the taste of corriander. Whoa! It is all over this brew.

I was very excited to try this revived, controversial style. I can see why it died. Just to declare bias, this is my first Gose. Right now, that makes sense, since there are only two on the database. But who knows what the future might bring?

If you can manage to slice through the corriander, which I am trying very hard to do, the strong wheat base comes through, rather like an American Wheat beer. Pale malts and wheat spiciness.

The salt is nowhere to be seen. Which is unfortunate. If you are going to butcher a beer with excess spices, you may as well clean the old' taste buds off once you're done with that assault.

Not a bad brew. But not a very good one either. Similar to an under-carbonated Wit.

2.54/5  rDev -34.9%

Very cloudy amber, nice color. Gentle 1cm white head, no carbonation apparent. Wild aroma, salty hops with a little matchstick, faint malt and lemony hints. A bit empty body-wise, it tastes rather meaty, vegetal, mineral, all over a tart background a bit like sour bread and rhubarb. Sour and Salty ain’t no friends. Light body, light carbonation. Bleh, hopefully the other gose defends this style better, because this one is one of those select few that deserves twice more points for the appearance than taste.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Served on-draught at Bayrischer Bahnhof. Reviewed from notes taken in June 2011.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight (but nice) cream, average retention, and white colour. Colour is a hazy cloudy nontransparent orange-dirty brown colour. Appealing. A bit reminiscient of a hefeweizen, but "dirtier".

Sm: Hints of dirty esters. Sourness; maybe funk. Light and musty. Not great.

T: Souring estery hop climax. The open and body are comprised primarily of merely clean barley. The pinnacle is the souring hop climax; the finish carries those that linger. Simple, but a welcome change from mindless German pilseners. It's not quite balanced, but the climax is adequately emphasized.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the sourness. A bit too wet, actually. Leaves a dry aftereffect that I'm not too fond of. Doesn't quite match the flavours of the body.

Dr: I don't really know the style well (this is me first beer in the style), but the emphasis seems to be on adequate presentation of the sourness. Belgian sours sure do this better, and this feels simple in comparison. I look forward to trying more beers in the style. Its low ABV never shows, not that you'd expect it to.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

No freshness dating. The bottle is an 11.2 fl. oz. not the one shown in the picture.

A= The cap pulls a lot of the bottle with it causing some breakage when I open the beer. I sure hope there isn't glass in my beer. The color is a hazy orange with no head and it actually looks uncarbonated...

S= The smell is an odd mix of spices. A little lemon maybe with some corriander. Maybe a tad tart. I wanna say I can sort of smell a salt water taste but it may be placebo.

T= The taste definitally has a salt note to it as well as a tartness and coriander. Very interesting. The finish is very wheaty. Unfortunatly this is totally uncarbonated. Is this suppose to be flat? The impression I get is a sort of flavored salt water.

M= No carbonation....

O= This beer really gets my goat. The bottle broke when I opened it leaving me worried I might be drinking some glass and the beer itself was totally uncarbonated leaving a sort of gross drying mouth to it. THe salt levels kept me interested and the flavor was unique but I'm mad I paid for this. This was my first dabble with this style and it was uncarbonated and potentially glass filled.

Photo of
2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

16oz. bottle

Clear, golden color. Large, rocky, off-white head.

Aroma was of salt, juniper berries, apples and coriander.

Taste was very salty at first, a bit too much. This mellowed as you drank (or you got used to it). Crackery malt character. Bit of pepper and spice at the finish.

Light bodied. Light to medium in carbonation. Fairly refreshing. I was surprised by that after the initial saltiness.

Gald I tried it, but won't be back. I like salt, just not in my beer. This is one of those struggles where the brewer did exactly what they intended (so I read), but it just doesn't work for my taste.

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%

a - bright amber color, a bit more clear than expected, big two-inch foamy white head, good retention and lacing

s - lots of graniness and wheat on the nose with some spice and a little apricot along with hints of sea salt, smells a bit like vomit actually

t - fairly sweet with a bit of tangerine and apricot up front, mid-palate has lots of wheat and grain, finish is quite spicy with coriander and salt additions making a appearance, no alcohol evident

m - light-bodied, relatively high carbonation, well-balanced finish

d - fairly drinkable in that its easy on the palate and alcohol is not an issue, the spice and saltiness of the finish gets a little old for me

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

Whoo hoo, a new style. Just two to go to drink them all. Can anyone help with the others?

A: Pours a pale piss yellow. Nice fluffy white head. Very good retention and lots of lace for such a light bodied brew.

S: Wheat, lemon grass, yeast, and a hint of warm piss.

T: No piss which is a good thing. Citric for sure, the wheat is there with a hint of yeasty bread.

M: Pretty light, crisp, and clean.

D: So So, not my favorite of styles.

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with 1/2 inch head and no lace. The aroma is lemony with some wheat and hay. The flavor is mainly white grapes with very mild sweet malt and mile hoppiness. It becomes more champagne-like as it warms. It's mouthfeel is light medium and slightly dry. Gasthaus Leipziger Gose is a good beer, similar but not as tart as champagne. Recommended.

A little bland. Couldn't really taste the lacto.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

pint bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a rusty gold color with three fingers of light tan head that remains for a couple minutes. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a bit of a sour base, along with a subtle salty feel that is dulled by a light spiced character. a unique mix of flavors, along with a nicely concentrated profile.

taste is thin in profile, with a lightly sour character and a base of salty caramel malts. the taste does not do the aroma justice in richness or breadth of flavors. a very light smoked flavor comes through after finishing, giving the brew a bit of body in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a thin and watery texture and a light bite from the mildly sour character. finishes thin with residual salt and light spice.

drinkability is decent. this is a unique brew, that could use more richness on the palate. the aroma is unique and nicely concentrated, along with a taste that falls short of anything special.

Light Gose, wouldn't have it again but not bad.

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Dirty ocean water. That's all

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Gasthaus Gose is a amber/yellow color with a modest white head that has little retention. The aroma reminds me of butter. The taste is lemony. I cannot taste the salt, which is odd because I'm on a low salt diet and crave salt. The feel is light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability is fair: low taste and high price.

As the beer warms, I finally taste the salt, don't think it really adds much to the taste. If this is true to style, the Gose is not my cup of tea.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

My first Gose.

The beer pours a shade lighter than copper. The numerous carbonation bubbles rise to create an egg shell colored head that settles to a quarter inch in depth. Very rocky and foamy in content. No lacing.

Smells strongly of wheat with a slight lemon zest background. The scent comes off as neither faint nor strong, but stands moderate.

The salt is surely evident and cuts through the wheat and hides the lemon character I found pleasing in the nose. The salt and wheat battle for supremacy, but eventually the salt loses out and remains as a lingering aftertaste on the edges of my tongue.

The mouthfeel is light and fairly thin making it more drinkable, but the aforementioned salt taste results in thoughts of drinking beer brine, which I imagine would be displeasing. It is possible that this style simply creates a dissonance with my palate. I'll have to search out another as confirmation or try this again down the road. As a gose novice this is not what I would describe as an enjoyable tasting beer, but its fringe qualities are.

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

this brew pours up a clear gold color with a big white fizzy head. the nose is pretty faint, light fruits, faint malts. the taste is salty, lemons, faint malts, easy drinking and refreshing. light bodied, low carbo. Would make a good sessioner. "I can finally afford a young crazy stripper wife!"

3.08/5  rDev -21%

11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a wine glass. 4.6% ABV

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color with 1 finger of a white head that dissipates to a thin wispy coating and collar.

Smell: Bread, wheat, apple and a weird grainy funkiness (not a good funkiness)

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with an extremely mild sourness. Flavors are lemon, wheat and mild spice. Slight saltiness comes through in the finish and aftertaste. Flavors are really weak.

Mouthfeel: LIght medium bodied and crisp with medium carbonation. No alcohol detectable.

Overall: Pretty disappointed in this one. An odd aroma and weak flavor profile make this one I won't likely revisit.. Maybe this was a bad/old bottle, but without knowing for sure, I'd have to recommend avoiding this one.

3.08/5  rDev -21%

Had to buy it just for the crazy bottle. Pours a slightly hazy solar yellow with an average off-white head. Aroma is wheaty and yeasty with a subtle undertone of citrus, average but still inviting. Flavor - hey, not too shabby; wheat, sour citrus and yeast notes, rather tart. Texture, though is rather thin and lacking in fizz. Unfortunately, the presentation is the best part about this beer; still, it’s worthy of a try. Maybe it’s better on-tap or in a smaller bottle.

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a dull dark yellow with almost no head.

The smell is very malty and grainy.

The flavor is malt focused and a touch tart, the salt is there, but a mild. Very grainy flaavor and it a bit plain.

The mouthfeel is light and a touch dry.

A pretty average gose.

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance of this relative rairity is Peachy, with a ¼” head and impressive architecture of vertical-creeping bubbles. Brown blobs of outgoing yeasters are observed. Nice sculptures pre-sip.

Nose is subtle and slight. Reminds me of a helles, actually. Salt, leaning towards oxidization. Soft rainwater. Not catching any coriander.

Taste is dry as the proverbial bone: nearly no sweetness at all. Lightly oxidated flavors. Definite salt, beginning and end. Otherwise seems appropriately German. Too much for my virgin-to-the-style tastebuds, perhaps.

Seems pleasing enough to consume, but not sure I’ll be back.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof