Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

1.8/5  rDev -53.8%

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%