Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Mineral salts and coriander, like seltzer and a Quebec style spiced beer. Really woke up the taste buds, and went with food. Needed much water after. Very foamy head, light copper coloured body. Middle grainy mouthfeel.I had to try this style, thanks for sending jpm30.

Sammy, Jul 16, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

After a long search I finally found a gose for my quest to hit every style on BA.

Pours a murky, hazy honey orange with a foamy 1 inch off-white head. Smell is of spices (coriander), yeast, and a slightly floral scent. Taste is slightly sour on the first sip with spice, yeast, and floral flavors. There is a slightly acidic sour taste on the tongue after each sip. A lower level of carbonation but somehow it feels bubbly and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good and interesting style of beer. I really don't get any salty flavors from this one. A very refreshing beer on a hot day.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 16, 2011

djrn2, Oct 11, 2012

zestar, Oct 03, 2014

spycow, Jan 14, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at ChurchKey in Washington, DC

A: Pours a somewhat cloudy faint yellow with a white head.

S: Somewhat funky with a bit of saltiness; acidic and a bit of mild fruit-like sweetness.

T: A little bit more funk and acidity comes out in the taste over the smell, but neither is too overpowering. A little bit of coriander spice comes through as well.

M: Light-bodied with good carbonation.

D: Quite drinkable--this is light and fairly low in alcohol, and the uniqueness of the beer keeps me wanting another sip.

Thorpe429, Oct 29, 2009
3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer poured cloudy yellow in color into a weizen glass with a half finger high white head that has good retention properties. A moderate amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: The smell is slightly sour; there are aromas of yeast and spices in the nose.
T: There are flavors of lemons, spices and wheat in the overall taste, which is also slightly sour.
M: It feels light-bodied and rather tart on the palate. There's a bit of dryness in the finish.
D: The beer is very easy to drink and quite refreshing. It's definitely a sessionable beer during the summer months.

metter98, Jul 31, 2010

Texasfan549, Jun 02, 2014
4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a frothy head that barely hangs around but leaves a few splashes of lace

Smell: Whole wheat bread, tart green apples, salt water and

Taste: Starts out rather tart and lemony, with the coriander and salt flavors starting to kick in at mid-palate; the salty aspects build to the finish and linger in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate degree of carbonation

Drinkability: Extraordinary and unusual; has some similarities to a witbier but much more interesting

brentk56, Dec 21, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Hazy butternut-pumpkin with a dust storm of powdery yeast in suspended animation. Within several minutes of the initial pour there are no more visible bubbles. However, the cap is stiff enough to remain at two fingers for a good, long while. Despite the fact that a few large splotches end up on the glass, there's much more glass visible than lace.

The nose has a wheaty tang and features a whiff of floral, slightly spicy hops. I can't say that I appreciate the coriander, though. Other than being different and interesting, to some extent anyway, the aroma isn't all that special. Both socks are still firmly on my feet.

After tasting... my socks haven't budged. Gose has a soft, wheaty underbelly, along with a modestly acidic, lemony, unripe apple tang and a semi-firm hop bitterness. Coriander is now apparent, but is on the mild side. This is one subtle beer. To be fair, it does become a bit more bold as the ounces pass. Whether that's due to warming or because most of the 'good stuff' was at the bottom of the bottle, I couldn't say.

I don't know that I would have noticed the salt without knowing it was there. It doesn't intrude and really isn't even appreciated at all until a mild saline bite on the finish. I thought that I'd like the 'added salt' quality of this beer... and I do. The mouthfeel is serviceable: light-medium, smooth, softly carbonated. In other words, an appropriate match for the rest of the beer's attributes.

This is my first gose (not that the world is crawling with them) so I wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I did, however, expect something more aggressive with respect to both coriander and salt. It's my understanding that this is another one of those odd German beers to which people occasionally add flavored and colored syrups. If I was in charge at Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei, I'd eliminate the need to add anything to the beer by simply making it goser.

BuckeyeNation, Jan 27, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Expectations were low after a friend described it as a 'salt' beer that he was not impressed with. So the saison-looking beer was neither a surprise nor a certainty. The aromas show a light belgian sourness that remained thin and lightly pungent. Tastes much less salty than I expected. Though noticably salted, the dominant flavors were lemon and orange rinds with a belgin souness / tartness. Almost like a light unblended lambic quality. A little vineous, musk, herbal character persists. Flavors never dominate, and whisp away quite airy and cleanly in the finish. The beer is not what I was expecting at all, even though I didn't have many expectations. Nevertheless, a very clean beer.

BEERchitect, May 07, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

kjkinsey, Sep 02, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle: Poured a hazy hay color gose with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of seas alt with coriander is really nice with light lemony notes also discernable. Taste is a very good balanced mix between a solid malt backbone with great notes of sea salt and lemony finish with light Brett notes. Body is quite full with great carbonation. Well balanced gose and kind of what I had in mind for the style even thought I don’t often have the chance to taste it.

Phyl21ca, Nov 30, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

GRG1313, Jun 24, 2014
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A – Poured a nice somewhat hazy golden amber. A large three inch or so head formed on the top and this gradually faded and left behind a about an inch of foam which lasted pretty much until the session was over. A decent amount of side glass lasce was present, nothing extraordinary, but never the less decent enough looking. Ample carbonation could be seen rippling towards the top of the glass from below and this stayed well until the last drop. Overall more then decent looking.

S – The aroma was light, well balanced and intresting but light enough that you knew this was not anything heavy. The backbone of the smell was a nice grainey, grassy malted smell, which was very light and fresh. This was then balanced out nicely by almost a bitter or sour grape like aroma. This started to surprise me as I was picking up all kinds of fruit like esthers in the smell and made for a very unique expierence so far. I was not fully expecting it to have that kind of aroma coming off it it so this was starting to look good.

T – The flavor profile followed the aroma very tightly. Lots of grains and cereal like flavors, but very light, none of that musty bread like flavor. Lots of yeast like taste as well, and a nice fresh grass like mix in there. Now once you process all of that this odd, fruity, sort of sour like grape thing starts to come out again. It was very unique and I am guessing that is where this style comes from. It was not anything heavy by any means, but rather was quite light and pleasant. The overall flavor was very light and did not come off as too heavy at all. It was like a pilsner with a kick almost. Very nice and definitely different.

M – Lots of carbonation and a very light feel truly made this one a winner. It had a very crisp, clean and light feel to it. The carbonation hung arounf till the very end and this always helps to really push the flavors out there and give you a good overall expirence. Now this definatly had the feel of a good dinner brew, or even a summer day brew, however there was a little bit more to it and it had a bit more of a fullness then you would have thought.

D – Very nice as you would expect. Very low ABV, light feel, and nice light flavors always make for something that will come off high here. It was a good drinker and you could easily have more then one. The extra little punches to the flavor served to keep it from getting boring in any way. Overall very nice and definitely worth the price of admission.

Overall a good brew. I had wanted to try this because I love new styles and this was apparently the only one in its style. That struck me as odd, so I have been actively seeking it out. I am now very glad that I did because it was a wonderful light brew that really brought a little something different to the table. I would easily buy it if I ever saw it in a store, it was just that good. Try it if you can find it, it should not disappoint.

mikesgroove, Oct 04, 2007
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

ygtbsm94, Mar 23, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Joe for sending me this one. A style that I've been looking to try for quite some time.

A: A very pale golden yellow color with some light haze and a large white head.

S: An interesting mix of sweet malts, honey, sweet fruits, a hint of spice, salt, and a touch of lactic acid. Interesting to say the least.

T: The saltiness is more upfront when it comes to the flavor of the beer. That said, there is still a substantial sweet honey-like component that goes well with the light tartness.

M: Fairly light in body with a moderate carbonation, somewhat refreshing, despite the saltiness.

D: A really interesting combination of flavors here. I enjoyed it, but I don't know how much of this stuff I could drink--plus, these seem to be hard to find around here.

womencantsail, Apr 22, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +18.7%

I was a little concerned about trying this beer. Everything I read about this beer said that it was salty. I'm not a salt lover so I really wasn't sure if I wanted to put money into this. One night I was feeling lucky so I just figured I'd grab a bottle and split it with a friend of mine. The beer poured out as a golden yellow color with a light amount of haze to it. The smell of the beer had some fresh grainy aromas that filled my nose. The beer smelled pretty good. The taste was not as salty as I expected it to be. In fact I was actually trying to taste the salt and I wasn't really able to. The grains and malts were mostly what I was getting. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall this beer is worth trying. I had the opportunity to try it on tap once or twice but I chose not too. All in all It's worth a try.

Upon trying this again I'm seeing this as my favorite Gose, The American versions are getting too sour in my opinion. This brew has the perfect balance of saltiness and sour. I'm amping up my numbers on this because I truly feel this is the best of it's class. Really great stuff and should definitely be tried at some point if you're enjoying this style.

Knapp85, Jul 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, pale yellow body filled with dark floaties and a topped by a thinning white head.

Smell: Lightly tart lemon wheat aroma that has, for me, only a mild coriander presence, but a good bit of saltiness to it, like standing near the ocean.

Taste: Wheat base imparting a gentle sweetness rounded out by soft citrus notes and a light spicing of coriander. Both the salt and the lactic qualities present themselves in the dry, lasting finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I am totally powerless to resist it's refreshing uniqueness. Everyone wins when they play Duck, Duck, Gose.

ChainGangGuy, Aug 19, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 10, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a light golden color with a great fluffy head that left some light lacing,aroma is of lemons with a hint of mineral.Taste is light and refreshing pretty acidic with that saltiness showing thru in the finish and aftertaste wich was more pronounced than what I thought it would be.A great easy drinker I think would be great on a hot summer day here in Carolina.

oberon, Mar 30, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

JAHMUR, Nov 15, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Hazy pale gold in color with an inch of foam that lasts for a few minutes before settling to a crown.

Smell: Salty and herbal with a faint backbone of wheat. There's a bit of sourness in there as well, though the saltiness is more prevalent.

Taste & mouthfeel: Salty and tart, mildly acidic, with a dry malt backing. Coriander is up front as well, lending further depth to the flavor. What an odd combination this is - but it somehow works. The body is light and the finish is dry and fairly clean, with a hint of tang from the salt lingering on the tongue.

largadeer, Aug 24, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a Hirter stange.

Pours a very hazy lemon straw with a fairly thick white foamy head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so. The smell is heavy on the lemon, with dashes of cracked pepper, salt, and very subtle hops. The taste generally follows the nose, with the coriander hiking up the lemony flavor, pushing the pepper to the back, and nearly drowning out the hops' bitterness. In the end, a general saltiness coming through on the back and sides of the tongue. This overall fruitiness and spiciness makes for a pretty distinctive tasting. That, coupled with a generously medium body and low ABV, makes for a nicely drinkable brew.

TMoney2591, Feb 13, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +9%

Wow, what a difference between draft and bottled versions. Had two of these tonight, and could have had two more.

12 oz. tulip, a half inch of white foam on top, hazy goldenrod color. Visible streams of carbonation.

Light wheat and minerals, trace lemon and lactic yogurt tartness.

What first struck me was the body of the beer, the first sip was like a heavy well water from the salty minerality, but every subsequent sip was spritzy and light, once my palate acclimated. It was crisp, tart, and very refreshing, like a Berliner Weisse, but a bit more tame. Dusty wheat and lemon notes came through, with a savory spicy quality due to the salt. Extremely drinkable and refreshing. Reminds me of Jolly Pumpkin Calabaza Blanca or Bam to a degree. This would be the perfect summer quencher in half liter format.

Do yourself a favor and try this on draft if you've only tried the bottled version, it's truly a night and day difference.

emerge077, Nov 04, 2010