Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

GennyCreamAle, Jan 20, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Of all the readily available examples of gose where I live, this is one of my favorites. I have had better ones while in Germany, but I cannot seem to find those here. This is a very typical gose and thus a good starter for those unfamiliar with this complex and challenging style. It may just be me, but I feel that the American Wild Ale sub-style has as much, if not more, in common with a German Gose (and Berliner Weiss, for that matter) as it does with Flemish style red and brown sours.

Wobbly, Aug 02, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Half-a-liter bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of head. There is a nice amount of lacing present. The smell is fruity and salty, a weird combo. Orange peel mixed with sea salt comes to mind. The taste has lots of citrus as well. Lime and orange take over, with some saltiness on the finish. Even a little peppery spice. The body is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good too. Thanks to Kev for introducing me to this style of beer.

SheepNutz, Jun 22, 2005
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Ristaccia, Apr 09, 2014

Roguer, Jan 11, 2014

HopsHopenstein, Jan 30, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Nice, Nice beer. Awesome to try something new, and then have it be a brand new beer to our shores, a new style.

A beautiful cloudy light orange when poured. Lovely head, and lace left through-out the glass. Very fresh floral aroma.

Full bodied, perfect carbonation. A bit sweet, but definitely in a twist off the wit style. What I found was a slightly tart apple like flavor in the finish and also thought the finish was slightly dry. Could have sworn I picked up on a bit of the salt used in this beer in the aftertaste.

This is not your typical German beer. I really enjoyed it, it reminded me slightly of Allagash white. One I would recommend to anyone, especially a fellow BA.

PatandDavid, Jul 20, 2003

RMoeNay, Feb 07, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A-Lemon drop body. Great stiff peaked egg white head that lasts

S-ocean, some band aid, as it warms there are some plums

T-definitely lemon flavor throughout, tart taste,

M-medium/full with a dry finish

D-I don't really know how I would rate this regarding drinkability. It certainly expands the borders of flavor for me and in a positive way. I just don't know if this is my choice for any particular reason. Its worth a try and enjoyable if you let it get a little bit warm. The fruit esters come out then.

jneiswender, Feb 27, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks cam dude

A - clear yellowish body decent white foam

S - dry, sweet vanillaish, that's about it

T - citrus and dryness. Grape sweetness. No salt that I can tell. Quite dry.

M - smooth and dry and A bit thin.

O - kinda weird and a bit too sweet for me.

ColdPoncho, Oct 16, 2011

fdig23, Jul 28, 2013

AJ01923, Apr 29, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours to a hazy copper-orange color with a foamy white head. The aroma is spicy, that of coriander and wheat. It smells a lot like a Belgian Wit. The flavor is dry throughout, with a bit of coriander and wheat. I get just a faint salty taste in it. It is a decent light-bodied brew. A very interesting brew.

Sampled 12/31/03

BeerBuilder, Apr 01, 2004

rdooley, Jun 03, 2014

herrburgess, Aug 07, 2013

Inglewood, Feb 25, 2014

schmidtmattsays, Apr 27, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured a thin gold color typical of a german wheat beer - with yeast poured in it browns out quite heavily to a very earthy orange color. Had a huge pillowy head, soft and fluffy, exploding up to six inches full and was unbelievably well-retained. Calmed to a nice slice with a crown on top, aided by lots of carbonation underneath. Bit after bit of stain was left, often very thick. Just watching this beer is enough in itself.

Smelled of cloves, banana, salt, and coriander, with simple and straightforward tones to all of them. Full of full scents, simply. Tasted of a citrus base with notes of coriander and salt swirling about the palette. Had the great firm feel of a good weizen, producing a solid malt backbone, as well as the slightly sweetened sour flavor of a weizen, too. Though, the salt makes this sour more complex – moderately comparable to the more complex and nuanced sour of fine gueuzes. Yeast gives adds a great piece to balance the mix: earthy and almost roasty. Short finish starts off with the wet and refreshing taste of a wheat beer and then gets dried out by the salt; an interesting combination that works well. Also, I had a strong banana tasting burp, which for me is a good sign in a wheat beer.

In sum, a solid tasting hefe-weizen with small but sizable untraditional additions. One of the true great finds in the world of beer.

nomad, Sep 17, 2003
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

.5 liter bottle. Pours a hazy yellowish brown color. The large foamy head lasts a long time, and there are nice clumps of lace on the side of my .5 liter weissbier glass. The aroma is fruit (lemon and apple), yeast, spices, and a little funk. The flavor is fruity, much like tart apples. There is a malty wheat flavor, and little hop flavor or bitterness. The balance comes from the salt. There is a coriandor flavor, but it is not as strong as in many spiced Belgian beers. Very crisp and refreshing. This beer tasted weird to me at first, but the more I drank, the more I loved it. I could drink this stuff all the time.

beveragecaptain, Dec 20, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Cloudy pale yellow with a 2 finger white head.

S: Salt and coriander.

T: Coriander and salt are the prominent flavors. Nice and dry with a bit of tartness. Refreshing. The salt isn't my favorite here, but it is growing on me. I'm glad to have a second bottle to see if it continues growing on me.

M & D: Crisp and relatively light, leading to very good drinkability.

Overall, recommended. A very interesting, almost extinct style. Lots of flavor given the ABV as well. You may not like the salt, but hopefully you'll appreciate its uniqueness.

rallison, Jan 03, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from quite possibly the most beautiful bottle I have ever bought. Teardrop shaped 750 that is silk screened and has a flip top. No dates. Poured into a wezen.

Loud pop when opened, a bit of a gusher, but it subsided before I uttered my second curse. Pale, hazed gold with a tall white head that is rocky and leaves lumpy lace as it goes.

Smells of malted wheat, coriander and ocean. Nicely balanced.

Wheat comes up first, but is gently cleared nudged aside by the coriander and dry hops followed by a palate clearing dose of kosher salt. The salt, hop, and spice combination work really well and give it an almost lemon like character. This would do well paired with roasted pork, or even by itself as an afternoon drink during summer.

The mouth has the feel of a good pale wheat, but with a little kick from the salt/spice/herb combo that is accented by the carbonation. This has session beer written all over it.

ypsifly, Aug 31, 2005

MNBeer1017, Aug 28, 2014

ajs4bd, Feb 17, 2013
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

available @ oak tree buy rite, edison nj (what isn't ?)

eyes...
very effervescent like seltzer actually, same sound and head action. the head dissipates quickly. sort of a hazy light orange hue, some carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass feeding the miniscule o-ring that remains. not a bad looking beer, not terribly appealing either...

aroma...
rather subtle in it's tones but I suspect this is one to enjoy on a sunny day rather than sticking your nose in it all day expecting to become the joseph smith of beer, the coriander doesn't bowl you over like in some belgian white beers (which I can't stand generally)

taste etc...
you can taste the salt underneath right away.. I am not sure if this is due to the fact that I have a mild sore throat but I noticed it right off the bat. but not to a detriment like swimming in the ocean and coming up too fast, more like the pleasant taste of a hot pretzel @ yankee stadium when the yankees are winning the division yet again (had to get that in there...). the body is light to medium. the salt is definitely soothing my sore throat.. seriously! I barely use ANY slat in my cooking and don't eat in chain restaurants so I am pretty salt sensitive. The coriander balances out what might become saline brashness perfectly here. the carbonation is subtle.. just short of prickly which frankly is dead on for this imo. This is somewhat like a slightly salty toned down wit.. and you know what? it works for me. And at 4.6% this won't kick your ass in the summer.

verdict?
wow.. unimpressive looking and smelling but what a drinker. Definitely going to check this out with BBQ parties this summer.. it would go great by the pool with some steamers and roasted veggies. the salinity works for me like the sourness of belgian beers works for me.

Ego, Jun 11, 2006