Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 888 | Reviews: 462
4.07/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy straw/gold with lots of carbonation and a big white head. Sediment was noticeable at bottom of the bottle.

Aroma: Smells of spices, citrus, a little pepper and some wheat toast.

Taste: Tasty beer. It has a somewhat subtle flavor, with spices and salt hitting the taste buds first followed by oranges, lemons and a touch of that wheat toast note that was present in the nose.

Mouthfeel: It's very soft on the palate. Easy drinking and approachable. Almost summery.

Overall: Really enjoyed this. Makes me want to try more of the style. Five bucks per bottle is a little steep, but I'd surely have it again.

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasty gose. Good example of the style.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Light, refreshing, citrusy. Not too much salt or sourness. Westbrook Gose, this is not. Much more traditional.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

No date on the bottle, although I've had it well over a year. I'm thinking it's about two years old. The bottle I have is the "spezialitat" which has a wide base and long neck.

Appearance: The beer has a thin white head that goes away fast leaving no lacing. The body is a golden orange color that is slightly hazy.

Aroma: I get a sweet coriander aroma. It's very prominent, especially for being collared so long.

Taste: It has a very light wheat flavor and a hint of coriander. It's very mellow .

Mouthfeel: There is a slight tartness around the edge but not strong. The beer is light all-around.

Overall: It's a great beer. I wasn't getting a whole lot of wheat flavor our sourness from the beer, but it was very enjoyable. It's a nice light drink that could be enjoyed with about anything. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried a Gose (and those who have) who enjoy coriander spiced witbiers. I would buy it again.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Pours a hazed golden/yellow color. At first a pillowing white head rises to about two fingers, then fizzles out. Thin, film like lace.
S: Earthy a musty like up front. Tangy orange and lemon aromas, with a spicy finish.
T: Up front is just ever so slightly tart and acidic. That quickly gives way an earthy character. Juicy, and sweet fruits like orange and lemon, and again finishes with a bit of peppery spice.
M/D: A light body with a soft and smooth feel. Just slightly prickly carbonation. Down in big gulps, wait, where to the liquid go. Gone in a second, and I wish I picked up a few more.

I'm a fan. Not to many true German Gose's available, and this seems to fit the bill from the handful of others I have had. It is soft and subtle, but really enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

.5L bottle poured into a craft tumbler.

A- Hazy, light golden yellow. Some white-ish highlights. Almost Wit-like in appearance. Head is white and solid, but doesn't retain for long.

S- Very complex. Lacto gives off the tangy fruity aroma. Coriander adds depth with a spicy earthy aroma. The malt character gives off a nice baked bread smell.

T- Sweet, some fruit, and some spice. Not as tart as I thought it would be.

M- Very sweet. Just a slight tartness. The finish is pretty wet, but this is where I detect the salt, with a very slight dry feeling.

O- Very interesting flavors come together here. Very delicious.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a hazy gold. White head. Smells of crackery wheat and bright coriander. Taste is crisp, acidic, citric with fruitiness from the coriander. Salt is very delicate. Much more subtle than US versions. Mouthfeel is smooth with mild prickling carbonation. Awesome beer. Wish this were in 6 packs.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

Light refreshing slightly sour witg a nice malty finish.

Draft at Bayerischer Bahnhof

Cloudy golden body with a big fluffy white head.

Dirty wheat, a little coriander spice, and a citric edge.

Yummy. Easily drinkable. Citric flavor and bite. Really not all that tart. Salt and spice are well incorporated into the wheat beer. I always thought Gose would taste weird with the salt but it's a nice compliment.

Light and bubbly. Ends somewhat dry.

Pretty nice. I think it just got distribution in Texas. Hopefully it's just as delicious in bottle form when I get back.

A: Golden with a dusty brown tinge rather like oxidized pineapple juice. Bubbles on the inside of the glass, cloudy so you can’t see any carbonation within. A 3 finger head of yellow ocher with a candy glass shine.

S: Coriander, peach juice, a sort of brine to it. Makes me feel like I’m about to drink juice.

T: Sour, brine, tobacco, salty, light fruitiness like peach or nectarine juice, but not sweet so its like unripe fruit. Coriander is present but not strong at all.

M: Medium juicy body, medium low carbonation.

O: A classic brew. I’ve been drinking Westbrook’s version of this which is much more sour. This is really good, and presumably more traditional being from Germany and done to style. Unique, balanced, fruity, salty and sour, its nice on a warm night at Table Rock Lake, MO. Drank Aug. 6th, 2014.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Of all the readily available examples of gose where I live, this is one of my favorites. I have had better ones while in Germany, but I cannot seem to find those here. This is a very typical gose and thus a good starter for those unfamiliar with this complex and challenging style. It may just be me, but I feel that the American Wild Ale sub-style has as much, if not more, in common with a German Gose (and Berliner Weiss, for that matter) as it does with Flemish style red and brown sours.

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer was a darker yellow color with a modest white head. Bubbles cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell - The wheat and salt of this gose comes through beautifully in the aroma. There is also a hint of Earthiness and some sweetness.

Taste - This is a little more sour upfront than I am used to drinking in a gose. The sour really comes to the front. The notes of cilantro are noticeable as well as a slight dull sweetness. The saltiness comes toward the back and lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - I am not sure if something is wrong, but the carbonation is a lot flatter than I would expect. The positive in this being the extended aftertaste.

Overall - I enjoyed this one, but given the choice, I would probably choose a Westbrook Gose.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

$ 3.49/11.2oz bottle at Heinen’s in Breckville, OH
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma very faint lemon
Head small (2 cm), white, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to 2mm ring
Lacing none
Body medium yellow, cloudy, some lumps
Flavor definitely salty, hint of lemon; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

A very good example of the style – the murky appearance and lumps are somewhat off-putting, but the salty refreshingness is well worth it. Close your eyes.

3.08/5  rDev -21%

11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a wine glass. 4.6% ABV

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color with 1 finger of a white head that dissipates to a thin wispy coating and collar.

Smell: Bread, wheat, apple and a weird grainy funkiness (not a good funkiness)

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with an extremely mild sourness. Flavors are lemon, wheat and mild spice. Slight saltiness comes through in the finish and aftertaste. Flavors are really weak.

Mouthfeel: LIght medium bodied and crisp with medium carbonation. No alcohol detectable.

Overall: Pretty disappointed in this one. An odd aroma and weak flavor profile make this one I won't likely revisit.. Maybe this was a bad/old bottle, but without knowing for sure, I'd have to recommend avoiding this one.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a half liter Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

A- Huge foamy head like many wheat beers... Persists well and leaves behind a scattered lace about the glass... Body is a cloudy pale golden color with no carbonation visible.

S- Lemony and wheaty with a heavy mineral aroma, hint of sweet malt... Something funky and buttery... I thought I got a lactose element and thought I was crazy, but I see lactic acids added, so maybe I'm not.

T- Tart, lemony with a slight coriander spiced bite, some wheat and a lingering saltiness. I start noticing more of a fruit-character, like berries, as the beer warms.

M- Smooth light and tart with a crisp finish. This beer is like a slightly sour pils.

Tasty but I was a bit thrown off by the milk and butter hints I was getting. For me, it stopped it from being great. Still, I found it good.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: Nice golden yellow, good white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Wheat, bread, lots of light citrus fruit

Taste: Again, some wheat and bread up front, but immediately you get to some very refreshing citrusy flavors. Finishes with a touch of salt and a slightly sour taste

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation

Overall: Fantastic beer, a style that I usually get when I find it because it is so hard to find! Enjoyed it immensely.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an excellent specialty beer from the Saxon area of Germany. It pours burnt orange, cloudy, medium white head that dissipates rapidly, there is decent carbonation and some lacings. It has myriad of taste that comingle in the mouth, these include lactic, floral, grains, fruits, and wheat. It has no bite or edge, foes down easy, but is pretty filling.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up at the Fridge in Lancaster PA. Split it with me beer guru. Great beer, not as good as Lost Nation but very good. So easy to drink and had me hurrying to the next drink. The only complaint would be the smell which I did not enjoy. really hope that I can find this again.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Presented in a tulip with a hazy gold color and 2 fingers of white head that retained well. Smelling it, I got a big clean springtime flower garden scent with sweet lemon candy, rock salt, and white pepper. It has a light wheat taste with a pop of tanginess and rose petal up front. There's a good evolution in the mouth: the saltiness shows up but is kept in check, then it finishes sour. Feels light but silky and effervescent in the mouth.

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass

A- A clear golden color with a two finger white head.

S- Wheat, beard, an almost citrus like tartness, a tea like herbal quality. Not overwhelming, I am finding this to be unique and inviting.

T- Wheat/beard, tart fruits, hints of earthy spices, touch of lactic acid in the finish nicely balanced with a hint of salt, taste really lingers on the plate with a nice tart lemon flavor.

M- Smooth, crisp, light body.

O- This is the first beer I have tried in this style and I find it very enjoyable. This is a very easy drinking beer. I can't wait to have more!

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

First Gose for me. Expected more coriander. Appearance looked like a standard lager but very little head, no lace. Decent golden color with a lot of carbonation action. As mentioned didn't pick up any coriander in the aroma (and taste). The salt was not noticeable in the flavor but found in the aftertaste. Similar to the salt-flavor-aftertaste you get after sipping a margarita. The mouthfeel was originally very lively but I didn't pound the beer and after sitting 10 min or so, it quickly came across almost flat. It was refreshing at first, then became more interesting than sessionable. I don't have any other Gose reference so I attempted to be fair in evaluating.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station with a hearty bowl of chili. Poured into a classic pilsner glass with no flare at the top--straight, tapered sides.

Appearance - Body is a hazy, dirty golden yellow color, reminiscent of maize in hue. Near the top of the body, there is a bit of shadowy area, like the area right beneath a storm cloud. The shadows are generated by a thick, frothy head that reminds me of the topping on a lemon meringue pie, about two-fingers thick. It remains longer than I'm willing to wait to start drinking, and once I have a few sips, it dissipates to a rim of foam and film, with substantial sheets of lacing on the parts of the glass that I didn't drink out of.

Smell - A soft blend of slightly-tart wheat and sourdough, along with a gentle spiciness like coriander and faint flower petals. There is also a faint soapy like aroma that I can only imagine comes from the cilantro. Nothing is overpowering here, and the most predominant note are the grains, along with a bit of raw breadiness from the yeast.

Taste - So refreshing, with notes of watered-down lemon juice and a saltiness that evokes a well-seasoned steak--you don't actually taste the salt, but know it's there by how it amplifies the other natural flavors. It all comes together to compliment the round wheat base. The aftertaste is tart, with just a tiny bit of twinge to tickle the tastebuds that sense sour flavors. I have to say, this is probably one of the better "entry level" sour beers I've had, because it's not so acidic to scare off anyone who is not accustomed to those flavor profiles in their beer, but you get that tart characteristic without the sweetness that often accompanies some other sour styles, like Flanders Oud Bruin or Flanders Red.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and light bodied, with moderate, but gentle carbonation. Aftertaste is clean and just a touch saline.

Overall, I've not had many of the Gose style--this would be my fourth ever, and the first that is from the country where the style originated. I've read that the style in Germany can be extremely sour, almost like a Gueuze, and this one was certainly not that. But I definitely appreciate the subtle complexity that is going on here. I'm of the opinion that this is the best in style (from a style that I've admittedly had limited exposure to). I can see myself buying bottles of this in the future to have in the summer.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Hefe glass head that quickly faded and no lacing. Light golden color, no cloudiness.

Smells slightly sour, acidic, lemony

Taste is refreshing and complex. Some spice up front, definitely pick up on the wheat aspect and then a tart sour finish.

Easy drinking, light body with moderate carbonation.

First time trying this style and I like it. Different and definitely something that would be thirst quenching come summertime.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Track 84, Warwick RI on the advice of Phil (a customer) and Donna, the tender. My first gose.

A: cloudy orange with a small head that disappeared almost immediately; no lacing

S: definitely fruity; description mentioned coriander, salt and pine needles, but none of those were evident by aroma

T: different than what I usually like. Definitely a wheat beer like taste, with almost a sourness to it. Very easy to drink

M: some carbonating, but not too much. Hit different parts of the tongue.

O: a refreshing pour that I would enjoy during warmer months. Pricey, but worth it over any of the others similar. Glad for the recommendation of a fellow customer.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof