Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

A: Golden with a dusty brown tinge rather like oxidized pineapple juice. Bubbles on the inside of the glass, cloudy so you can’t see any carbonation within. A 3 finger head of yellow ocher with a candy glass shine.

S: Coriander, peach juice, a sort of brine to it. Makes me feel like I’m about to drink juice.

T: Sour, brine, tobacco, salty, light fruitiness like peach or nectarine juice, but not sweet so its like unripe fruit. Coriander is present but not strong at all.

M: Medium juicy body, medium low carbonation.

O: A classic brew. I’ve been drinking Westbrook’s version of this which is much more sour. This is really good, and presumably more traditional being from Germany and done to style. Unique, balanced, fruity, salty and sour, its nice on a warm night at Table Rock Lake, MO. Drank Aug. 6th, 2014. (826 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Of all the readily available examples of gose where I live, this is one of my favorites. I have had better ones while in Germany, but I cannot seem to find those here. This is a very typical gose and thus a good starter for those unfamiliar with this complex and challenging style. It may just be me, but I feel that the American Wild Ale sub-style has as much, if not more, in common with a German Gose (and Berliner Weiss, for that matter) as it does with Flemish style red and brown sours. (493 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - The beer was a darker yellow color with a modest white head. Bubbles cling to the sides of the glass.

Smell - The wheat and salt of this gose comes through beautifully in the aroma. There is also a hint of Earthiness and some sweetness.

Taste - This is a little more sour upfront than I am used to drinking in a gose. The sour really comes to the front. The notes of cilantro are noticeable as well as a slight dull sweetness. The saltiness comes toward the back and lingers in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - I am not sure if something is wrong, but the carbonation is a lot flatter than I would expect. The positive in this being the extended aftertaste.

Overall - I enjoyed this one, but given the choice, I would probably choose a Westbrook Gose. (764 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

$ 3.49/11.2oz bottle at Heinen’s in Breckville, OH
Undated bottle at 40 degrees into Sam Adams lager glass
Aroma very faint lemon
Head small (2 cm), white, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to 2mm ring
Lacing none
Body medium yellow, cloudy, some lumps
Flavor definitely salty, hint of lemon; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, lively carbonation

A very good example of the style – the murky appearance and lumps are somewhat off-putting, but the salty refreshingness is well worth it. Close your eyes. (539 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a wine glass. 4.6% ABV

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color with 1 finger of a white head that dissipates to a thin wispy coating and collar.

Smell: Bread, wheat, apple and a weird grainy funkiness (not a good funkiness)

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with an extremely mild sourness. Flavors are lemon, wheat and mild spice. Slight saltiness comes through in the finish and aftertaste. Flavors are really weak.

Mouthfeel: LIght medium bodied and crisp with medium carbonation. No alcohol detectable.

Overall: Pretty disappointed in this one. An odd aroma and weak flavor profile make this one I won't likely revisit.. Maybe this was a bad/old bottle, but without knowing for sure, I'd have to recommend avoiding this one. (778 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a half liter Weihenstephaner weizen glass.

A- Huge foamy head like many wheat beers... Persists well and leaves behind a scattered lace about the glass... Body is a cloudy pale golden color with no carbonation visible.

S- Lemony and wheaty with a heavy mineral aroma, hint of sweet malt... Something funky and buttery... I thought I got a lactose element and thought I was crazy, but I see lactic acids added, so maybe I'm not.

T- Tart, lemony with a slight coriander spiced bite, some wheat and a lingering saltiness. I start noticing more of a fruit-character, like berries, as the beer warms.

M- Smooth light and tart with a crisp finish. This beer is like a slightly sour pils.

Tasty but I was a bit thrown off by the milk and butter hints I was getting. For me, it stopped it from being great. Still, I found it good. (840 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance: Nice golden yellow, good white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Wheat, bread, lots of light citrus fruit

Taste: Again, some wheat and bread up front, but immediately you get to some very refreshing citrusy flavors. Finishes with a touch of salt and a slightly sour taste

Mouthfeel: Light body, good carbonation

Overall: Fantastic beer, a style that I usually get when I find it because it is so hard to find! Enjoyed it immensely. (445 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

This is an excellent specialty beer from the Saxon area of Germany. It pours burnt orange, cloudy, medium white head that dissipates rapidly, there is decent carbonation and some lacings. It has myriad of taste that comingle in the mouth, these include lactic, floral, grains, fruits, and wheat. It has no bite or edge, foes down easy, but is pretty filling. (358 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up at the Fridge in Lancaster PA. Split it with me beer guru. Great beer, not as good as Lost Nation but very good. So easy to drink and had me hurrying to the next drink. The only complaint would be the smell which I did not enjoy. really hope that I can find this again. (284 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Presented in a tulip with a hazy gold color and 2 fingers of white head that retained well. Smelling it, I got a big clean springtime flower garden scent with sweet lemon candy, rock salt, and white pepper. It has a light wheat taste with a pop of tanginess and rose petal up front. There's a good evolution in the mouth: the saltiness shows up but is kept in check, then it finishes sour. Feels light but silky and effervescent in the mouth. (442 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass

A- A clear golden color with a two finger white head.

S- Wheat, beard, an almost citrus like tartness, a tea like herbal quality. Not overwhelming, I am finding this to be unique and inviting.

T- Wheat/beard, tart fruits, hints of earthy spices, touch of lactic acid in the finish nicely balanced with a hint of salt, taste really lingers on the plate with a nice tart lemon flavor.

M- Smooth, crisp, light body.

O- This is the first beer I have tried in this style and I find it very enjoyable. This is a very easy drinking beer. I can't wait to have more! (604 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

First Gose for me. Expected more coriander. Appearance looked like a standard lager but very little head, no lace. Decent golden color with a lot of carbonation action. As mentioned didn't pick up any coriander in the aroma (and taste). The salt was not noticeable in the flavor but found in the aftertaste. Similar to the salt-flavor-aftertaste you get after sipping a margarita. The mouthfeel was originally very lively but I didn't pound the beer and after sitting 10 min or so, it quickly came across almost flat. It was refreshing at first, then became more interesting than sessionable. I don't have any other Gose reference so I attempted to be fair in evaluating. (671 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station with a hearty bowl of chili. Poured into a classic pilsner glass with no flare at the top--straight, tapered sides.

Appearance - Body is a hazy, dirty golden yellow color, reminiscent of maize in hue. Near the top of the body, there is a bit of shadowy area, like the area right beneath a storm cloud. The shadows are generated by a thick, frothy head that reminds me of the topping on a lemon meringue pie, about two-fingers thick. It remains longer than I'm willing to wait to start drinking, and once I have a few sips, it dissipates to a rim of foam and film, with substantial sheets of lacing on the parts of the glass that I didn't drink out of.

Smell - A soft blend of slightly-tart wheat and sourdough, along with a gentle spiciness like coriander and faint flower petals. There is also a faint soapy like aroma that I can only imagine comes from the cilantro. Nothing is overpowering here, and the most predominant note are the grains, along with a bit of raw breadiness from the yeast.

Taste - So refreshing, with notes of watered-down lemon juice and a saltiness that evokes a well-seasoned steak--you don't actually taste the salt, but know it's there by how it amplifies the other natural flavors. It all comes together to compliment the round wheat base. The aftertaste is tart, with just a tiny bit of twinge to tickle the tastebuds that sense sour flavors. I have to say, this is probably one of the better "entry level" sour beers I've had, because it's not so acidic to scare off anyone who is not accustomed to those flavor profiles in their beer, but you get that tart characteristic without the sweetness that often accompanies some other sour styles, like Flanders Oud Bruin or Flanders Red.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and light bodied, with moderate, but gentle carbonation. Aftertaste is clean and just a touch saline.

Overall, I've not had many of the Gose style--this would be my fourth ever, and the first that is from the country where the style originated. I've read that the style in Germany can be extremely sour, almost like a Gueuze, and this one was certainly not that. But I definitely appreciate the subtle complexity that is going on here. I'm of the opinion that this is the best in style (from a style that I've admittedly had limited exposure to). I can see myself buying bottles of this in the future to have in the summer. (2,392 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Hefe glass head that quickly faded and no lacing. Light golden color, no cloudiness.

Smells slightly sour, acidic, lemony

Taste is refreshing and complex. Some spice up front, definitely pick up on the wheat aspect and then a tart sour finish.

Easy drinking, light body with moderate carbonation.

First time trying this style and I like it. Different and definitely something that would be thirst quenching come summertime. (442 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Track 84, Warwick RI on the advice of Phil (a customer) and Donna, the tender. My first gose.

A: cloudy orange with a small head that disappeared almost immediately; no lacing

S: definitely fruity; description mentioned coriander, salt and pine needles, but none of those were evident by aroma

T: different than what I usually like. Definitely a wheat beer like taste, with almost a sourness to it. Very easy to drink

M: some carbonating, but not too much. Hit different parts of the tongue.

O: a refreshing pour that I would enjoy during warmer months. Pricey, but worth it over any of the others similar. Glad for the recommendation of a fellow customer. (679 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a relatively cloudy golden orange with a thin halo of white head around the perimeter. The nose is definitely light and sweet, spice forward with a touch of saline and funk lingering in the background (accented when warmed). A dull coriander is present in the taste, but it's more difficult to detect comparatively. There is definitely more grain sweetness as well. However, no flavor is particularly overpowering and all blend nicely. The beer's mouthfeel is slightly tart, semi-sweet, spicy, light bodied and effervescent, with minimal funk or booze. This is a very easy drinking gose, but out of my price range for a repeat. (642 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

well it is a strange style of beer and even the leipzigers disagree about whether you can drink it or not. unlike the German purity law it contains lactic acid, salt and coriander, making this beer sour but very refreshing especially in summer. the Bayerischer Bahnhof Gose is a good one for your first experience with that style.
looks light golden with a soft head. the smell is slightly sour with hints of spices like coriander of course. tastes both sour and salty with clear citrus aroma. a light body with soft carbonation makes it very drinkable. unfortunately this Gose has almost no aftertaste. (604 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a New Glarus flute.

A: Hazy, pale golden

S: Mild lemony smell; some malt; not much going on

T: Mild sour and tartness; very little salt

M: Not overly carbonated, but a fair amount; a bit tangy

O: Nothing like I'm used to in the regards to Gose. Westbrook has perfected it in my opinion. This wasn't bad, but not great compared to what I've had. This could have been a bit old, as it was sitting in the cooler at my local haunt for several months. May revisit this with a fresh bottle. (515 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

11.2oz bottle poured into a stemmed glass.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale goldenrod color that produced a nice cap of white froth. Decent retention.

(S)- A lively light yet crisp lemony tartness meets a subtle coriander-like salty spice to it. Ever so slight mild earthiness.

(T)- I really like the level of crisp lemony tartness this has. It quickly flows into a subtle salty spice element in the middle. Finishes dry with more of that lemony tartness again.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Light, crisp, and mildly tart. The essential beer for summertime in my opinion.

(O)- I have not had alot of experience with Gose yet, but I am thoroughly enjoying this one! I am really surprised this does not have a higher rating on this site. It is beautifully balanced and thrist quenchingly crisp. The perfect summertime beer. (830 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On Tap at novare res

Served in a sunner Kolsch glass.

The beer is a very nice golden straw color. The beer is slightly cloudy with a amber hue. The head is bright white

The nose is subtle but nice. The beer is malty, and a slight tart and almost strawberry aroma.

The flavor is very nice, perfect summer beer a slight tart and berry flavor. The flavors are very delecate and remind me almost of wine.

Overall this is a nice beer (435 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: somewhat cloudy straw gold with a small white head.

Aroma: citrus (lemon, orange) and a bit of spice.

Taste: tart, refreshing and delicious. Sweet with some spice.

Mouthfeel: light and smooth.

Overall: quite a refreshing and tasty brew. Sweet up front followed with some spice and a tart end. I really liked it! (327 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

bottle into a tulip

nice light yellow color with a head of about an inch. smell doesn't attack you, but it is very pleasant, reminiscent of a tripel...to me, at least.
nice sour flavor, not overwhelming. not really a big taste, but there's enough going on here to enjoy it.
not a mindblowing beer. my first gose, i'd imagine it's a good beginner. (347 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From what little I know this looks like what I expect: a pale to medium yellow beer that's heavily hazed. A white head shows some staying power despite its small stature, also leaving more than moderate patching on the walls of the glass.
It smells more like a sour Saison than anything. It's lightly sour and slightly spicy with an earthier Belgian yeast note and some citrus peel.
It's mildly salty but certainly on the lighter side. It's gently acidic and quite lemony all around, juice as well as pithy, bitter peel. The coriander is somewhat more noticeable in the flavor than the aroma and works with the earthy aspect well.
It's light-bodied and refreshing, lightly crisp and almost fluffy. (697 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I tried this on tap at Quencher's Saloon in Chicago. $5 for a 10oz brandy snifter.

The beer poured a cloudy pale gold color with only a ½-finger of white head on top. Head retention was good, but it only left minimal spotty lacing.

The beer smelled yeasty and a bit sour.

Mildly tart and yeasty flavor with a good dose of wheat malt which adds a twang to it. Ground coriander gives it some spiciness, but the expected salty taste wasn't really there and hop bitterness was also non existent.

Very light, close to watery mouthfeel , with low to moderate carbonation.

This was my first gose, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but if this is what they are supposed to taste like, all I can say is that it's very interesting and very different from any other style of beer I've tried, but it won't be a favorite style of mine. (837 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

poured out of an 11.2 oz bottle into one of my weizen glasses, this beer pours a cloudy, hazy, medium golden color with a decent amount of bubbles rising up tot he surface of the beer from the bottom of the glass and a white head initially over an inch thick when poured that settles to 1/8 of an inch thick about 5 minutes after being poured. Not much lacing, just a slight trace and that's it. Lots of sediment in this beer, I know I poured a fair amount into the glass, and there was still a nice layer sitting at the bottom of the bottle. The head finally settles to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with a fairly decent layer of foam on the beer's surface. Aromas of yeast and sour funk along with the spice notes from coriander. Has a nice sour funk flavor upfront that is not too sour, followed with hints of lemony citrus and the coriander and rounded out with a touch of salt. Quite an interesting flavor profile here, and unlike any I've had in any other beer before. Quite tasty. Has a crisp, yet smooth, light to medium bodied mouth feel with moderate carbonation down to the last sip. Easy to drink in the manner that good beer should be. Quite an interesting beer here.

Eric (1,213 characters)