Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)

gueuzegossage, Aug 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer poured a cloudy golden hue with a thin white head. The head while nice quickly dissipated.

This beer has a very earthy aroma. The hops are pleasant and there seems to be an undertone of salt. Some spice like coriander can be detected as well as some citrus.

The flavor is light with a faint sourness, again there is that citrus similar to the aroma. Tart, pleasing beer berry refreshing taste and easily enjoyed during the summer months. The finish is clean with no real after taste. Highly recommendable beer.

Tobe, Aug 18, 2012

dc55110, Aug 17, 2012

Loogs, Aug 15, 2012

DavyJones, Jul 21, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Big gooseneck bottle is crazy, makes a great sound when pouring it.

Golden body with plenty of effervescence. Not much head retention or anything.

Smells dryish but not super dry, kinda like a fruity champagne. Faint funk.

Light and funkily sour. The bitter funk subsides for the finish, which is nice and pretty clean, but a bit corn-y. Refreshing but pretty flavorful.

Very bright, fluffy even.

I've only had a couple examples of gose and this one seems decent (and consistent). By no means would I pay for it again, but the bottle is totally worth the novelty value.

zaphodchak, Jul 15, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +21.8%

beerdedbiker, Jul 09, 2012

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with 1/2 inch head and no lace. The aroma is lemony with some wheat and hay. The flavor is mainly white grapes with very mild sweet malt and mile hoppiness. It becomes more champagne-like as it warms. It's mouthfeel is light medium and slightly dry. Gasthaus Leipziger Gose is a good beer, similar but not as tart as champagne. Recommended.

B967ierhunter177, Jul 08, 2012
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked up this bottle to knock off another style. That brings me down to just three styles left (Kvass, Happoshu, and American Dark Wheat Ale). And, my buddy is sharing the Dark Wheat soon. Now I need to find a way to get the other two impossible to find beers.

My uncles used to add salt to their beer. I don't really understand why you would do that to beer. Then I read about this style made with salt.

This gose looks fine. It hads a golden color and a ring of foam after it settles. The foam isn't very sticky, which is expected based on the style description.

Off the top I get the coriander. It reminds me of a white beer. This is pretty simple, but it reminds me of the style description.

The flavor is very interesting. I get the salt and coriander immediately. I also get a berry flavor. The salt leads to a very sweet flavor. I like how of this works together. The other challenge is in the salty part. It is really strong.

This was an interesting experience. I feel that this will make me better in my beer reviews. I recommend this to grow your pallatte and beer understanding.

ummswimmin, Jul 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

KSather, Jul 01, 2012

tbeer40, Jun 25, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

This beer that is brewed in Germany has an appearance that is light yellowish-orange. There is a bit of carbonation which results in a fine head. While the aroma is of sweet malt there are hints of coriander and lemom. A light, easy drinking beer, it's something different!

Tresha, Jun 20, 2012

laxer8811, Jun 18, 2012

coreyfmcdonald, Jun 14, 2012
4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

appearance; cloudy brownish-yellow, thin, spitzy, white head, contantly regenerating. Some slick wavy lacing left behind, slides down the glass, returning from the froth of which it came.

smell; mild pepper, hints or coriander and some sourness with yeast.

taste; mild coriander and lactic sourness like Quark and lemon juice. Strong yeasty aftertase with the slightest bit of salt. Some dry salt is barely noticeable at the start of a sip as well. It's more of a dusty intensified flavor of the other ingredients, not salty but salt helps the other flavors. Coriander mellowed out by spicy yeast dominates the aftertaste.

mouthfeel; very fine, active carbonation. Smooth and sticky swallow.

overall; a very interesting drink not bad at all, like a Witbier and Berliner Weisse blend.

Sachsenfreude, Jun 14, 2012

zonker17, Jun 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

jaidenjb, Jun 03, 2012

akttr, May 31, 2012
3.45/5  rDev -11.5%

Picked up a 12oz bottle of this a while back at Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear dark straw yellow with a fizzy half a finger head that fades to leave a thin white halo.

S - No real hops in this per say, lots of malty sweetness, some cloves, and some salt. Some light lemon like citrus too.

T - Weird, drinks almost like one of those lemon "beers" that are 3.2% from Italy or something like that. Fizzy lemony malty sweet water. The salt, not diggin it. I mean, the flavours arent bad, slightly sour lemons, but ehh.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Its a bit thin but it is after all 4.6%. Good and refreshing.

O - Overall I wasnt a huge fan of this style. The flavors arent bad its just not my thing. Its is drinkable and not nearly as bad as I thought it would be but I really wont buy it again.

rudzud, May 24, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

GrindFatherBob, May 22, 2012

GreenMountainBoy, May 20, 2012

brotherloco, May 16, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

From a bottle, which the gose was served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance is light orange with a short white head. This beer that I had been meaning to try for some time has a smell of straw, grain, lemon and green apples. Upon sipping this gose, I taste salt, wheat, acid, citrus, with tartness. Mouthfeel is easy going , a proper carbonation for the style. It really is a great quaffer for a warm day, albeit one that may cause you to pucker your lips.

mltobin, May 12, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured into a Uerige stange. Pours a light yellow-orange amber. Fine white two finger head and active carbonation, resultiing in great retention and lacing. Aroma of faint sweet malt, coriander, strong mineral component, slightly sour. Flavor also has a dry, mineral component melded with light wheat, a hint of malt, slightly acidic lemon. Finishes dry with a suggestion of coriander and salt, somewhat sour. All flavors are light, but surprising amount of complexity for the low key taste components. Very light bodied, but nice carbonation. A very interesting, uncommon beer style that I'm glad I finally got to try.

LiquidAmber, May 09, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

No freshness dating. The bottle is an 11.2 fl. oz. not the one shown in the picture.

A= The cap pulls a lot of the bottle with it causing some breakage when I open the beer. I sure hope there isn't glass in my beer. The color is a hazy orange with no head and it actually looks uncarbonated...

S= The smell is an odd mix of spices. A little lemon maybe with some corriander. Maybe a tad tart. I wanna say I can sort of smell a salt water taste but it may be placebo.

T= The taste definitally has a salt note to it as well as a tartness and coriander. Very interesting. The finish is very wheaty. Unfortunatly this is totally uncarbonated. Is this suppose to be flat? The impression I get is a sort of flavored salt water.

M= No carbonation....

O= This beer really gets my goat. The bottle broke when I opened it leaving me worried I might be drinking some glass and the beer itself was totally uncarbonated leaving a sort of gross drying mouth to it. THe salt levels kept me interested and the flavor was unique but I'm mad I paid for this. This was my first dabble with this style and it was uncarbonated and potentially glass filled.

jjanega08, Apr 28, 2012