Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange, slightly darker than your standard hefeweizen. Puts out a huge, rocky, off-white head that takes its time to retire.

Smell: Cloves, coriander, pear, malt. Smells a lot like my first batch of homebrew.

Taste: Interesting. This beer has very little actual flavor. The flavor certainly isn't as complex as the aroma. The beginning is faintly tart and citrusy, but much less so than a hefeweizen. Since adding salt to beer is a tradition in certain spots of Louisiana, I'm familiar with the flavor of salted beer, and this beer has that flavor. I can't really taste the coriander, nor do I taste anything in the way of malt or hops. And it has absolutely no finish whatsoever. It reminds me of nothing so much as Michelob Dry.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is weak. I feel like I'm drinking water. There's simply no body here to speak of.

Drinkability: It's certainly a chuggable beer. I'll give it that. (949 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours to a hazy copper-orange color with a foamy white head. The aroma is spicy, that of coriander and wheat. It smells a lot like a Belgian Wit. The flavor is dry throughout, with a bit of coriander and wheat. I get just a faint salty taste in it. It is a decent light-bodied brew. A very interesting brew.

Sampled 12/31/03 (327 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a light golden color with a great fluffy head that left some light lacing,aroma is of lemons with a hint of mineral.Taste is light and refreshing pretty acidic with that saltiness showing thru in the finish and aftertaste wich was more pronounced than what I thought it would be.A great easy drinker I think would be great on a hot summer day here in Carolina. (366 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Gose, eh? This should be interesting...

Poured an attractive light amber color with lots of carbonation and a foamy, pitted, pristine white head. The aroma has hints of yeast breadiness, but not much else. The taste is very light and refreshing, with hints of yeast and coriander here and there and a faint salinity around the edges. The mouthfeel is mineral water-like, but not in a bad way.

Drinking this gose is much more an experience about mouthfeel and refreshment than taste, and on that simple level, it's an enjoyable brew, perhaps one of the best beers for a hot summer day. I could drink a ton of these, but I think my tastebuds would get bored. (663 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

As far as I know this is the only commercial example of Gose available in the US and it is the only one that I have ever tried. With that said, I wish there were more. I would like to see other brewer's versions. It has a slight hazy copper color with a large head. The aroma is delicate and subtle with aromas of citrus and spice. The body is smooth and thin. There are tastes of orange and it reminds me of pretzels from the use of the salt. There is a slight sourness in the refreshing finish. Bring on more Gose! (516 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Gasthaus Gose: From a half liter bottle. Pours as an extremely carbonated, almost Champagne type of head. Tall head dissipates very quickly into large bubbles, and disappears very quickly.

The color is a deep tan, very hazy, although I did swirl up the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is mild, with hint of cloves, bananas, and a little something else that I can’t put my finger on.

The taste is nice, much like a typical Weiss beer (a mild banana taste from the yeast), but a tiny bit different, a little dry, virtually no aftertaste whatsoever, just a bit of residual sweetness. This is no doubt due to the salt in this brew. Very nice, light, extremely easy to drink. A great summer brew. (713 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to chaduvel for slogging this out to UT for me. Pours a hazy mandarin copper color with a big, fluffy, creamy, slightly off white head. Nice. Smell is light orange with some tangy wheat notes, coriander, and yeast. Taste is smooth wheat malt up front that quickly gets tangy/sour, and accented with coriander. Picking up lemon notes, and there seems to be a unique, salty character to it all. Very interesting. Finish is wheat bitter with lingering coriander and some banana-y esters. This beer has a big mouthfeel for its strength, and gets better as it warms. Glad I got to try this! (592 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance – Deep, dark hazy orange-brown in color with some serious sediment and carbonation. The head looked like a big fluffy weizen head, leaving mounds of shaving-cream foam all over the inside of my Weihenstephan glass.

Smell – There’s a beautiful deep yeast aroma here that reminds me (again) of a fine Hefe Weizen. The coriander promised on the bottle label comes out nicely as well.

Taste – I hate to repeat myself, but this tastes like a spicy weizen with maybe a hint of tartness of some kind. The salt comes on strong at the tongue, making this a very unique brew.

Mouthfeel – This one was full and fluffy with some quality carbonation and a pillowy consistency.

Drinkability – I thought the salt was a little overpowering, although I guess it is typical of the style. (798 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a hazy copper with a lacy off-white head. Smell is spicy and lightly salty and sweet wheat malt.

Taste is grainy wheat with underlying spice. Saltiness doesn't come through until later, it's cumulative. The more you drink, the more saltiness on the palate. While the beer is smooth and creamy in the mouth, the saltiness builds and makes this brew less than drinkable, at least more than one bottle at a time. But a unique experience that I would recommend and I will indulge in again. (494 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks go out to Pat of (PatandDavid) for providing me with this fine bier while I attended the EBF this past weekend!

My research tells me that this is a wheat bier but brewed with corriander and salt. The salt is definately present, especially after swallowing. The taste is very crisp and similar to some other unfiltered Hefeweizen's. This bier pours nicely and is very enjoyable. A trip to Leipzig would certainly find me searching for one of these fresh local brews.

I would call this a must for anyone who enjoys wheat biers.

John (546 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

sinec there are only two of this style in the database i figured they're fairly hard to come by, so i snatched one up as soon as i saw it. can't compare it to anything else in the style (again, as there are only two), but this one is different nonetheless. not bad, just different. it pours a cloudy amber colour with a lovely foamy head. so far so good. the smell is quite different. a bit sweet, a bit salty, a bit stale almost. complex but strange. the taste here is also not overly appealing at first, but it is quickly warmed up to and whilst not exceptional, is solid just the same. there's a bit of fruitiness here but it is peppered with salt, if you will. just a very strange style to try to review, in all. i say go try one and be the judge yourself. some will love it, others will hate it. i, on the other hand, fell pretty much in the middle on this one. i'd like to sample the style again to compare, but won't be breaking down any doors to seek it out. (966 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.1%

nice appearance, hazy yellow with a big thick head that had excellent retention and good lacing. There wasn't much of an aroma, somewhat like a fresh bag of potato chips. The taste was dry, kinda salty with a hint of the coriander. The finish was pretty dry. I wasn't too impressed with this beer, thinking the odd ingredients would somehow be more pronounced. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was just an above average macro. (433 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

Hazy peach with yellow highloghts, large head with amazing retention and stickiness- it forms walls of lace. Big coriander aroma with accompanying orange citrus. Tastes much like a good wit with a bit of hefeweizen and salt. It is pretty dry with peppery spicy hops. Strong phenolics with some banana esters. A definite mineral quality from the salt. Started with tingly high carbonation but ended with a pretty creamy feel. Overall very nice, although the salty dry finish started to annoy me after a while.

So it gose. (523 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

A bright golden beer with a pure white head .very well carbonated,very lively.
The nose of this one reminds me of a wit with a little salt note added.fairly thin mouthfeel here.
At first taste its sweet with coriander present then it finishes quickly with a dry saltiness.By midway through the glass the saltiness is more forward.
I imagine this beer would go well with food,maybe chips or cheese? An interesting effort but probably not one I would go out of my way to find. (482 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Murky pale copper hue. Pitted, frothy vanilla white head leaves spotty, sparse lace. Spicy, sharp clove and herbal coriander dominate the aroma, but are offset by mellow, ripe banana esters. Mild lemony, citric tartness. Slight papery oxidation notes prevent vibrancy. Pronounced clove lends a mild medicinal note upfront. Grainy wheat tartness comprises the dominant malt character, and is accompanied by a parching dryness provided by mild, pure salinity. Simple, breezy banana esters provides token girth. Appropriately lightly bittered due to the paltry residual sweetness. Musty, nutty suspended yeast undertone. Phenol augments as the beer breathes, and approaches rubbery in nature. Well attenuated, with a brisk, thinnish mouthfeel. Finishes with a lingering suggestion of clove studded salted, preserved lemon. A strange brew, with unbalanced elements of a wit and hefeweizen. Maybe I just missed the orange peel, or the overt salinity overshadowed it. Tasty, but rough around the edges. I'd very much like to try more of this obscure style. (1,050 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Cloudy light orange color, looks like a hefeweizen, has a huge creamy head that clings to my glass. Aroma is that of a hefeweizen, spicy wheat smell. Taste like wheat and mild spice, I can't really taste coriander yet it is a bit salty. Light bodied with a kind of a watery mouthfeel, finishes a bit sour, very drinkable and not bad, but not sure if I would buy this again. (373 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

1pint .9oz. bottle.

I had never had a 'gose' style beer before and thanks to The Long Beach Bum in a trade I now have. I must say right off the top that I enjoyed it.

It poured a hazy burnt amber. A nice white frothy bubbly head. Rows of lace down the glass. The head never left. It shrunk but stuck with the drink. Very nice. The scents are very musty. First musty wet grain. Then there is some deep citrus. Oranges and lemon. The coriander peeks through and the scents add a very dry salt at the end.

Flavors are tangy and fruity. A sweet malt. The coriander appears at its leisure. Some real tangy and citrusy fruit. A dry rind flavor is here. A damp wheat and grain flavor is in the background. Very fruity and spicy. Some mild pepper. At the end the salt becomes prominent. It is very dry and leaves a strong after taste.

The mouthfeel is very inviting. Crisp and dry. Carbonation is felt throughout. A very refreshing beer. It does leave a dry puckering feeling across the mouth. One could drink a few in a session. Also this one would go well on a hot day or with a snack served at room temperature or right out of the refrigerator. Cheese or crackers and hummus. Maybe even some vegetables or cold cuts. A real anytime beer.

Thanks LBB for something different. (1,284 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is! (963 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1.5%

I'd wanted to try this style of beer for quite some time, and was pleased to finally get a chance. The appearance of the beer is truly amazing: a towering, everlasting, rocky, white head tops a coppery-caramel colored liquid. The head is phenomenal. Very slight haze in the beer. Coriander is distinct in the aroma along with a mix of esters. First taste is at once sweet and sour. Salt comes through in the hind-taste. It becomes more pronounced as you drink more of the beer, causing a mouth-puckering and unexpected reaction. I don't think I would enjoy beer after beer of this style, yet it's strangely refreshing. (618 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

Presentation: My bottle looks just like the one in the picture. A half litre that drew me immediately as soon as I saw it – at last, the infamous Gose Style beer – and a chance to try it. Described as Brewed with Coriander and Salt.

Appearance: Clear amber gold body with a decent sized 3” white head that has a tint of beige. The mottled surface of the head collapses and leaves a thick sticky ring of lacing, akin to one of those markers that shows the level of the record village flood from 100 years ago. Throw in a few streamers and this really looks the business. A beauty.

Nose: Pungent, musty smells, almost like a sweaty salted beef mixed with freshly cut slices of lemons, limes & oranges. The Coriander is also there – and discernable. Farmyard aspects give a spicy cultured odor to this beer. Wow.

Taste: The best part for me – funky, extremely funky but in a very appealing way. Starts with a sour malt entrance, some spices rise to the middle, salty ending. As it warms lemon, grapefruits & orange rind all lend a freshly acidic twang; whilst the peppery nature of the beer balances this perfectly, all the time the spices, including but not limited to coriander, add a feisty lambic-like nature to the middle. Quiet amazing. All this and just 4.6%. This is most certainly new territory for me tonight.

Mouthfeel: Like a solid Pale Ale – it drinks very well and quenches the thirst easily, but it goes that extra yard, it tingles the tongue with a spritzy, randomly located pin pricks and it also teases the cheeks with dryness, and some farmyard funkiness at times that induces salivation after swallowing, just like a draft fresh lambic often does. Holy Shite this is so cool.

Drinkability: 'Gose' down *extremely* well – sorry couldn’t resist it. This is a quaffer for sure – I most certainly could drink this all night, especially with some good Cheese and Pickles. Damn, this would be THE beer to drink with an English Ploughman’s Lunch.

Overall: Never had anything like this, looks are deceptive; it easily could pass for a Pale Ale after the head settles. Certainly unique, which often means weird or freaky, but this is just different and a damn fine drinking beer that I really took to. Hmmm, I
may, I mean I must get some more of this.

Highly Recommended. Trad. Lambics fan will love it. (2,345 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

1 pt, 9 fl oz bottle served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Murky honey colored liquid with a huge and thick offwhite head. Bubbles can be seen in the liquid. Eventually the head settles down to a film, but only after a good 5 minutes. No lacing, but the foam does cling to the side of the glass as you sip. Aspirations of lace, shall we say?

Smell: A helluva lot like a wit in some aspects. Sour lemons and coriander with a hint of clove on the nose. Big yeasty presence, too.

Taste: Sour lemon with sweet, bready malt. Some faint banana esters on the finish. Mildly acidic.

Mouthfeel: Quite light bodied and very palate cleansing. Good carbonation.

Drinkability: A pastiche of other, more familiar, beer styles. A healthy dose of wit, a sizable portion of hefe, and a dash of gueuze (I wonder if there is a similar etymology here). A great beer for food, especially bratwurst and other German delicacies. I suspect I'll be having a few of these next summer during grilling season. (1,004 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -7.4%

You look at it and you'd just assume it was a hefeweizen if you didn't know better. The cloudy orange-dark-tan body topped by a large, lumpy, long-lasting white cloud of a head fill the requirements of good looking hefeweizens. The aroma then throws you for a loop. That distinctive coriander scent doesn't belong here if this was a hefeweizen. Plus, it's missing much of the banana/bubblegum esters of a good hefeweizen, although a slight phenolic notes makes this smell much like you'd expect from a witbier. On the first sip, I noticed a sour twang that toned down drastically in further sips. The coriander makes for a nice bit of character in the flavor and the salt really shows itself mostly in meshing with the backend bitterness, but I'll qualify that with the fact that I'm a salt fiend, so my salt threshhold may be a little high. There's something missing though. It lacks the bold wheatiness or the creamy mouthfeel of a good hefeweizen. It's still a very unique, drinkable beer. (992 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Gose pours with a large bubbly head requiring a slow pour in order to control it. The head is fairly sticky, and piles pretty high above the rim of the glass. When it finally recedes, it sticks to the sides of the glass, and forms a thick lace that stays for the life of the glass. There’s a great aroma, and lots of it. The aroma is citrusy with lots of lemony notes as well as some yeast and slight spice notes. Can’t really smell any salt that is typically mentioned with the style. The color is a nice slightly hazy amber. The start is slightly smooth but the tartness kicks in quickly with carbonation that adds some additional bite. Malts add some graininess to this brew and are subtle throughout this brew. Along with the tart up front palate are citrus notes, namely lemon. Spice notes are fairly subdued, but noticeable (I probably would have missed specifically naming the coriander if the bottle didn’t mention it). The saltiness seems to become more apparent towards the end. The finish is crisp and dry, again with some tart lemon notes. Definitely heffe-ish but not quite. Still, a refreshing summer brew. (1,123 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +25.1%

This beauty pours a gorgeous dark cloudy copper color with swirling yeast dregs and a grandiose crown of a head that is creamy and rocky. Fantastic lacing that lasts the entire beer. Salty yeast and wheat aromas with hints of vanilla, banana, pepper, and coriander, definitely can smell the coriander. Taste is smooth and full of sweet wheat beer esters (banana, cloves, touch of vanilla) then the salty/pepper flavor comes through in the middle and adds a dryness and mineral content, then finally the finish is bready and yeasty. Amazing! I could best describe this beer as a combination of a superb Hefeweizen with the best components of a Wit beer added. Awesome. Easily one of the best beers I've ever had. (711 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a thin gold color typical of a german wheat beer - with yeast poured in it browns out quite heavily to a very earthy orange color. Had a huge pillowy head, soft and fluffy, exploding up to six inches full and was unbelievably well-retained. Calmed to a nice slice with a crown on top, aided by lots of carbonation underneath. Bit after bit of stain was left, often very thick. Just watching this beer is enough in itself.

Smelled of cloves, banana, salt, and coriander, with simple and straightforward tones to all of them. Full of full scents, simply. Tasted of a citrus base with notes of coriander and salt swirling about the palette. Had the great firm feel of a good weizen, producing a solid malt backbone, as well as the slightly sweetened sour flavor of a weizen, too. Though, the salt makes this sour more complex – moderately comparable to the more complex and nuanced sour of fine gueuzes. Yeast gives adds a great piece to balance the mix: earthy and almost roasty. Short finish starts off with the wet and refreshing taste of a wheat beer and then gets dried out by the salt; an interesting combination that works well. Also, I had a strong banana tasting burp, which for me is a good sign in a wheat beer.

In sum, a solid tasting hefe-weizen with small but sizable untraditional additions. One of the true great finds in the world of beer. (1,372 characters)

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof