Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

After a long search I finally found a gose for my quest to hit every style on BA.

Pours a murky, hazy honey orange with a foamy 1 inch off-white head. Smell is of spices (coriander), yeast, and a slightly floral scent. Taste is slightly sour on the first sip with spice, yeast, and floral flavors. There is a slightly acidic sour taste on the tongue after each sip. A lower level of carbonation but somehow it feels bubbly and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good and interesting style of beer. I really don't get any salty flavors from this one. A very refreshing beer on a hot day.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

330ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a clear golden with three fingers of dense bright white head that took forever to fade into a whispy film that left a few tiny streaks of lacing.
S: Light smelling with notes of grassy hops and crackers. I can detect a hint of sea salt as well.
T: Light notes of earthy hops, a touch of coriander and pepper, lemon zest, wheat and minerals. The finish is definitely bready. I get a bit of fruit, almost tart fruits, but not quite. This beer doesn’t go down salty, but if I lick my lips after I swallow I get a bit of a saline mineraliness. I was expecting more coriander, but what’s there adds a nice flavor.
M: Tingly carbonation over a light body creates a bubbly and clean mouthfeel. It a bit spritzy though.
O: I don’t know if I enjoyed drinking extra salt, but I thought this beer was pretty good. Uniquely flavored and fairly refreshing, although I did drink a glass of water afterward.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Pours a very lightly hazy straw color with about 1" of pure white head. The head holds for a bit, but in the end almost completely disappears. Lacing is nonexistent. Doesn't take much of a swirl to create some more head though.

Smell: Very mild and subtle all the way around. Slightly bready, with orange rind and coriander showing as well. When I really dig deep I do get a light touch of brine, which must come from the salt addition.

Taste: More expressive than the smell. I still get bready malts up front, followed by coriander and orand rind. Very dry on the finish, with brine and a touch of salt showing through. Extremely refreshing, and it makes you want to take another sip almost immediately.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Very pleasant feel on the palate. A bit over light bodied and a bit prickly and spritzy. Seems appropriate. Overall, I really liked this beer. Extremely refreshing and great for summer. I wish more breweries took a stab at this style.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear very light amber/golden color with just over a finger of white head that goes away very quickly.

Smell: Quite mild, some bready malt sweetness with a mild herbal note.

Taste: Very crisp and refreshing. A mild tartness compliments the salt and the coriander very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, carbonation is on the high side and the finish is dry.

Overall: Nice and light, I really liked the mild tartness. I would definitely have another.

4.24/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Thanks, Dan, for busting this out to show me that not all Goses taste like the Bruery's.

A: Clear pale amber body under a finger of fine white foam. Ok retention, light lace. Not bad.

S: Light + fresh, with delicate herbal hints of coriander, some tangy wheat, and the vaguest hint of salty crackers. A touch of tartness as well. Lovely and refreshing.

T: Cleanly grainy wheat up front, with the coriander + tartness joining in a moment later. Very crisp, refreshing, and never too salty. Delicious, classic example of the style.

M: Very light, soft, smooth body with carbonation to match. A bit more life wouldn't have hurt, but it's just fine.

O: I really enjoyed this beer (after disliking Salt of the Earth), but I can see how someone could balk at having to pay $5 a bottle for something so simple, light, and refreshing. If you like wheat beers at all, try this one - just don't expect it to be a flavor explosion.

Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

My first Gose, pretty good!! Unusual bottle, 750 ml, rounded bottom like Mateus Rose with a long neck and an enamel stopper as the cap.

Poured a dull straw gold with a big delicate bubbly white head, head retention is better than average, not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma is slightly bitter wheat and lemon. Fairly subtle.

Taste is good. Wheat bitterness and lemon zest up front, a slight sourness in the finish. Not as much going on here as a hefeweizen, but a similar light wheat style - great for a hot day.

Mouthfeel nicely carbonated, light but not watery with a nice tartness in the finish.

Overall, a good summer beer for any occasion.

4.58/5  rDev +17.4%

I was a little concerned about trying this beer. Everything I read about this beer said that it was salty. I'm not a salt lover so I really wasn't sure if I wanted to put money into this. One night I was feeling lucky so I just figured I'd grab a bottle and split it with a friend of mine. The beer poured out as a golden yellow color with a light amount of haze to it. The smell of the beer had some fresh grainy aromas that filled my nose. The beer smelled pretty good. The taste was not as salty as I expected it to be. In fact I was actually trying to taste the salt and I wasn't really able to. The grains and malts were mostly what I was getting. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall this beer is worth trying. I had the opportunity to try it on tap once or twice but I chose not too. All in all It's worth a try.

Upon trying this again I'm seeing this as my favorite Gose, The American versions are getting too sour in my opinion. This brew has the perfect balance of saltiness and sour. I'm amping up my numbers on this because I truly feel this is the best of it's class. Really great stuff and should definitely be tried at some point if you're enjoying this style.

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Leipziger Gose

Served in an old fashioned glass.

A: Pours hazy gold with medium white head that disappears immediately. Medium-high effervescence.

S: Toasted grain, wheat tang, coriander, peppery and somewhat flowery.

T: A bit of sweetness up front, followed by toasted grain, wheat tang and then a light tartness. The beer then turns spicy, with coriander, pepper and sea salt. The saltiness may be more of a sensation, but I definitely taste it. Pleasant finish in which spiciness mellows and a note of orange blossoms, which I had missed, makes an appearance.

M: Light body and medium-high carbonation make for a lively mouthfeel. Salty sensation and drying.

O: I expected Leipziger Gose to taste like the hypertension in a bottle that is Bruery's Salt of the Earth. Not so. Leipziger Gose acts more like a Berliner Weisse with a spicy twist. Very good drinkability and complexity. More goses, please!

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Bright and Straw colored with a bone white head. Fluffy head with good retention and lacing (sort of paints the glass).

S: Grain forward and mild

T: Slightly tart lemon falling into subtle spice and a pleasant salinity balancing act. This is actually damn good I have to say I'm pretty surprised at how much I like it. Very light bodied and subtle yet highly complex.

M: Very dry, the salt keeps you coming back for more.

O: Impressive beer, Looking forward to trying more of the style.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

11 oz bottle poured into a Sam's perfect pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold with visible carbonation and a small but noticeable head.

The nose is full of pilsner malts, blackberry, and plums. Pleasant, though not staggering.

The mouth is lovely, somehow finding a balance between sour and sweet. It almost drinks like a chardonay. Extremely refreshing with a long malty finish.

This is, to my tastes, a nearly ideal summer German beer. Crisp and refreshing, dry but not too dry, beautifully balanced flavors without being overly complex, there are few beers that satisfy my needs on a hot summer day better than this.

Bravo.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this at Teresa's in Wayne, Pa.

A: Raised foam which receded as quickly. No head what so ever. Not even bubbles. Crystal Clear golden color.

S: light fruit, crisp wheat, grapes

T: Very refreshing. Balanced wheat, some subtle spice. No alcohol nor sourness. Coriander comes through a bit in the middle of the taste. Dry and crisp with subtle granny smith apple on the finish.

M: Leaves mouth dry but with a sweetness. Well carbonated, medium body

O: Interesting to say the least....glad i tried it and I would drink it again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy straw yellow. An aggressive pour yields a frothy head that lasted all but a minute.

S - Citrus and herbs. Coriander and some floral/herbal qualities. This smells like a garden of herbs that somehow got drenched in beer. So fresh and earthy.

T - Very sweet. This is a very light wheat beer, and the coriander and lemon really bring out this fresh, herbal flavor. This is damn refreshing.

O - I have never heard of this beer style up until today. I gotta say, this is really light and refreshing. I'll be picking up some more for the hotter days of summer.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured and split into to globes from the most unique bottle I've seen.

A: Rather cloudy golden yellow. Solid two fingers of bright white head. Fades fast leavng soapy lace.

S: Nice tart citrus aroma is the first thing I notice. The coriander and salt are quite noticeable as well. There's just a hint of funk in there. Like a very timid gueuze. Soft pale wheat comes through as it warms.

T: Pretty much a mirror of the nose. Good amount of lemony citrus with plenty of coriander and salt. Fresh wheat bread and a touch of wet straw. Refreshing and unique.

M: Light body with a creamy mouth feel. Modest carbonation.

O: My first gose was a pleasant experience. This would be a great hot summer day beer.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bayischer Banhof Brewery in Leipzig, Germany. Beautiful day surrounded by new friends.

A: Orange to off-gold with hazy clarity. Two fingers of white foam sticks around throughout. Nice rope like lacing.

S: Farmy funk is faint but present. Soil, straw and just hints of sour lemon and a bit of a pretzel smell (grains with the salt).

T: Nice and refreshing. Good salinity helps open this up. Wheat, soil and sour are subdued but really pleasant. The coriander is very nutty and eloquent.

M: Thin body with creamy feel and moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: Very refreshing beer. This differs from the Dolenitzer in two ways: adding salt DURING the boil, and adding coriander. When you taste them side by side, you can tell the differences. I think a blend of the two would actually make the best of the two, but at this time, I believe the Dolenitzer takes the prize for now.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow amber color, with a large amount of bubbly white foam. The head dies down but a thin solid blanket retains over the surface.

S: Light with sweet fruit notes. A little like a dry cider, but with a touch of light fruity vinous notes reminiscent of prosecco. There's a yeasty undertone to remind you that this is in fact beer.

T: Sweet, light, with nice fruity touches, but quite a nice flavor. It's kind of somewhere in the middle of a pale ale, hefeweizen, and prosecco.

M: Fairly light body, medium carbonation.

Overall I think this beer is great; it's a perfect hot summer day beer. It's light, crisp, refreshing, and low in alcohol, yet flavorful and interesting, albeit in a total different way than a big imperial stout. I wish it was readily available in 6 packs like so many other beers that do a much worse job of trying to fill the same role.

1.65/5  rDev -57.7%

$4.95 for a bottle at Beertopia.

Wow, this is the worst bottle I've had is a long time.

The sediment was intimidating to begin with, like ice tea that has an abundant of pepper flakes floating around. The aroma has a distinct sourness to it with some sort of fruit added in. The taste - wait for it - holy shit that's nasty! All I can pick out is sour fruit and grain alcohol that comes together in a complete mess that made me grimace and try to keep my tongue from imploding. I hope this is a bad bottle and that other people don't think this is worthy of A's and B's.

In case you couldn't guess, this is a drain pour.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured form the bottle into a tall stange. This is my first gose, obtained as a current beer of the month offering from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco.

Body is a hazy gold, topped by a white creamy head with moderate retention. Leaves no lacing.

Smells fresh, with light malt, some sugar, and lemony citrus.

This tastes very good, with a nice malt sweetness that is balanced with a mild sourness, mainly citrus. There is a little funk from the yeast in the background. In the finish, there is a bit of spice, tasting like coriander as in a witbier and some ginger and light salt.

Body is light, and the carbonation is lively. This has a a spritziness on the tongue and a very refreshing mouthfeel. Tasting good at 4.6% ABV, this is an eminently drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured a somewhat cloudy straw/golden color with a huge white head upon pouring. This reduced to a thin layer on top with some foamy lacing left on the glass. Carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Lots of wheat and grain on the aroma with some light grass and a little bit of lemon. There is an ever so slight funk as well.

T: Slightly sour and sweet with a little bit of spice up front. The wheat is certainly present with some light fruit, lemon is present. I got a slight saltiness.

M: Pretty light with high carbonation, rather crisp with a clean mouthfeel and a slightly dry finish.

O: Very enjoyable, slightly tart, slightly sweet. Hope to have more Gose in the future.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Exciting dive into a new style; this one was given to me blind so I had no idea what I was drinking.

Pale straw colour, nice and opaque. Head is white, nice and creamy with pleasant clingy lace, just a thin crown. Really rather pleasant.

Smells very rank, but in a good way. Massive earthy, rubbery funk with acid of a citric nature, organic grain notes with a touch of livestock feed, wet hay and some really pleasant and piquant spice notes, including star anise and coriander. Great.

Taste is a bit of a letdown, but still not bad at all. Lots of wheat character with tart, raw wheat notes, some citric character that comes through on the mid and lingers towards the back but is unsupported by malt so ends up being a tad insipid. Slight tangerine twist to it, hints of yellow capsicum, rice vinegar and maybe some coriander. Decent palate, not amazing though.

Decently full and smooth, bit of drying texture towards the back. Quite nice.

Good drinkin' beer, nice and flavoursome but it pulls back in the important areas to make it quaffable. Salt is not detectable - all the more power for it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

My very first Gose! Terribly exciting, even though I don't have anything to compare it against. Purchased from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, where Dave was quite excited about it. Brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a hazed lemony colour, rather like a hefeweizen, but probably lighter than the usual German hef. Fine white head that stays as a clean and clinging film to the top of the glass. Minimal body and lacing, but it looks tasty.

Nose is crisp and lightly spicy, giving a slight acidic resonance to everything else. Characters of olives, seaweed, sawdust, green apple peel and even a touch of noble hops (imagine that!). Perhaps not as weird as it might have been on the nose (indeed, there's a touch of the Kristalweizen to it), but solid enough.

Taste is more odd, with a crisp acidity and light body that immediately reminds me of a Berliner Weisse. While it doesn't have the true funky finish, or the depth of sourness, it has the very crisp lightness. Salt comes forward on the back, giving a weird way to wash out the palate. Not a huge amount of character overall, but I like that even though it's light, the characters it has are unusual.

A very dry but crisp and unusual beer. Surprisingly moreish.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Hazy light yellow with a single finger with white head that turns into an ever-present ring. Great lace.

Coriander and bready malt. If a wit were all-malt and used a more neutral yeast, this would be it.

Lemons, floral coriander taste, quite tart. Pilsner and wheat malts come through, but very subdued. Quite refreshing.

Light bodied, good carbonation, but I expected more from what little I know of the style. Still, it works.

Damn refreshing. I could see myself drinking this until my store runs out this summer if it were cheaper.

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

I poured it into a (German-made!) straight, tall, cylindrical beer glass as instructed, but that failed to accomplish any of the tall, lacy, substantial head that should generate from a beer with such a high concentration of wheat malt. Still, it looks more than an alright with its golden colour and faint lime smear, stream of constant bubbles and pure clarity.

This bouquet is as aromatic as a summer day is long and it has a wonderfully fragrant, almost perfumy coriander spiciness. It isn't "spicy", per se, as it is far too softened and savory to agitate the senses; rather it calms and elates them. If you're capable of prying your nose from that delightful coriander, you might also notice a sour, lemony acidity.

It took one sip for me to wish I had bought multiples rather than just one single bottle. A beer like this is designed and intended to be drank in succession. It is perhaps one of the most refreshing styles of beer I've tried and - despite (or perhaps precisely for) being a tad acidic and, well, yes, salty - it is a style destined for mainstream, mass popularity.

As in a Berliner Weiss, the beer is less notable for its flavour - which is plainly but cleanly malty, kind of herbaceous and with perhaps a hint of tropical fruitiness - than it is its mouthfeel, which is very dry, light and quenching, defined by a lactic acid bacteria and a coarse saltiness. It is only mildly sour (not puckering), but strongly saline tasting.

I wish I could be more descriptive about what I'm tasting; it's frustrating to not be able to accurately or fully put into words the experience. When it comes down to it, this strikes as very much the German variation of a witbier: less flowery and more down to business (in other words: drinking!). While it is ale, it has the cleanness and quaffability of a lager.

According to the history books, we almost lost Gose as a style shortly after WW2 - yet another reason to hate communism. This is a deliciously refreshing, notably unique and, I'm sure, widely appealing style of beer that I can't believe more breweries haven't tried to emulate. Tell your friends, tell your family, run out in the street in your underwear and start screaming - do whatever it takes to get others to try this style. I'd be surprised if they don't like it.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Straw yellow to golden colored beer with a white head that dissipated to a thick ring.

S - Sweet pale malts balanced out pretty awesomely with the salt water. As this is my first experience with a gose it seems quite nice and unlike what I've had before.

T - Sweet pale malts, lemon zest, salt that isn't salty. Little bit of stone fruit taste, interesting combination I enjoy.

M - Decent carbonation, medium bodied, little carbonation bite on the end.

O - Pretty cool and enjoyable beer. The salt is a nice breakup to sweetness. Would like to try more gose beers.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

On Tap at Memphis Taproom.

In a pint, L. Gose looks honey gloden with a shade of off bronze mixed in. A nice inch of slightly tight off white foam with ok retention and minimal stick.

Smell is on the lactic side, reminds me of a Berliner Weisee and it's possible that a gose is just a extention of the BW style. Sea salt and a touch of wheat plus some apple.

Taste is spot on tasty, pretty tart and mixing in with the wheat leaves for a earthy middle finished off by the sea salt, not exactly sure what it brings but I taste it and dig it.

Spritzy on the tounge and light in body and refreshing as hell.

I would drink this till the cows came home. A refreshing drink meant for summer and low alcohol for the long hall.

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

The body is a beautiful hazy apricot yellow with a finger and a half of frothy white head topping it. Small streams of carbonation can be seen towards the top of the glass, clinging to its sides. Bits of sediment swirl around after the final pour.

Black pepper and fresh grass clippings are the first things I get in the nose. Hay and damp wheat add earthiness to the aroma. Bits of sweetness peak through, reminiscent of caramel and apricots. I like the complexity this beer has at 4.6%.

Wow, this is quite interesting. Frothy wheat fills the palate with a tingly and tangy citrus-like character following right behind it. A subtle bready malt character makes the base of the finish with pepper, touches of coriander, lemon peel and hay resting on top.

Light with a snappy crispness and perfect for this sunny and warm spring day. I'm not able to taste the salt this is brewed with but its presence is tangible, as the label says, in the feel, tingling the sides of the mouth and making me think "salt".

Every time I'm able to get my hands on a new style, I take the opportunity to do so and here, this paid off. It lies somewhere between a Hefe and a Witbier with its spicy quality and salty feel making it a distinguishable style. I feel like I can drink this any day of the week and look forward to having more of this in the future.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof