Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

11.2oz bottle

A-Hazy light gold. Huge white head.

S-lemon and corriander. No hop aroma. citrus ester.

T-Lots of corriander. Slightly tart, kinda like sweet lemon juice. Slight cinnamon. Low pils like malt.

M-Fairly sweet, carbonation feels lower than it looked. No alcohol warmth. Beer stays on the palate too long IMO.

D-Nice summer beer. Lots of corriander and tart lemon flavors. Could be a bit drier.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

A- pours with a thick white head. beer is clear and golden, about the color of a Duvel. foam dissipates fairly quickly.

smell - smells like grapes, lychee or pineapple..like those japanese gummy candies. very fruity.

t - very fruity, slightly tart. not very salty. Reminds me of belgian wit beers. tastes like grapes or pineapple a little bit.

d - very refreshing, a great summer beer. it would interesting to drink a gose that was also hoppier.

I was expecting something more extreme, but it's crisp, refreshing and def. has sourness to it. As I drink more I can feel the sourness more. Would love this on tap at a bar.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to Joe for sending me this one. A style that I've been looking to try for quite some time.

A: A very pale golden yellow color with some light haze and a large white head.

S: An interesting mix of sweet malts, honey, sweet fruits, a hint of spice, salt, and a touch of lactic acid. Interesting to say the least.

T: The saltiness is more upfront when it comes to the flavor of the beer. That said, there is still a substantial sweet honey-like component that goes well with the light tartness.

M: Fairly light in body with a moderate carbonation, somewhat refreshing, despite the saltiness.

D: A really interesting combination of flavors here. I enjoyed it, but I don't know how much of this stuff I could drink--plus, these seem to be hard to find around here.

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Now what in the world is THIS suppose to be, a witbier brewed with sea water, then mixed with a Berliner Weiss? I guess I'll have to find out. 330 ml longneck, on to the beer:

Looks like a kristalweizen. It's golden blonde in color, clean bodied, carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The head is big and airy, slowly going down. The coriander is big in the nose, with a fresh sqeeze of orange. Refreshing! I even got that little note of that sea salt.

It's a little sour. A little lemon pucker. And with a little orange (I'm guessing that's the coriander). You really taste the tang that the salt provides on the sides of your palate. I really enjoy the curveball that the salt adds to this beer. In fact, I think NYC officials would try to ban this, given the anti-salt crusade they're on. Sour orange? This is thought provoking. Wait, if this is brewed with salt, does that mean this brew violates the Reinheitsgebot?

Dear American craft brewers, start brewing with salt! What a great beer, and what a style I've discovered here. Now, get me another bottle!

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Taken from notes, in bottles at Titletown Brewery.

Appearance - Poured with a 2 finger creamy and bubbly white head. Extremely pale yellow-orange with a bit of haze to it. Golden with head that dissipates rather quickly and leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Smell - Whoa Fruit Loops!. Very fruity and herbal right up front. A bit of tartness. Did I mention this smells like fruit loops? The smell of opening a bag for the first time. Lots of fruit, hard to discern. Wild and spicy.

Taste = This is a new one to me, the salt and wheat come right out. These mix with a fruity, coriander and spicy backend. Tart lemon comes out to play on the end along with a spicy bitterness. A bit of sweet wheat malt comes before the spicy bitterness. The bottle says plums, I can't seem to find it.

Mouthfeel - Maybe a bit over carbonated. Dances all over the tongue, very spritzy but not really effervescent. Very light and a bit of a thin feeling, bitter and tart bite the tongue.

Drinkability - 1 is enough for me, had to try the style. A bit too flowery, herbal and spicy for me, glad I got to try it though.

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow golden with a smaller white head that sticks around a while. The aroma has lemons, coriander, some saltiness, and white grapes. Appreciate how the coriander is not overpowering, which it easily can be. The flavor has white grape juice, some appreciable tartness, then the finish develops some coriander spice notes and light malts. Light bodied with a prickly refreshing carbonation. I really dig this brew, light, refreshing, fruity and tart. I would drink this often if it weren't for a prohibitive price tag!

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

11.2oz bottle into stange glass at about 40 degrees.

Pours with a pretty impressive, effervescent white head, over top of an almost completely clear golden body and very little carbonation present.

Aromas are quite nice, dominated by a light lemon-citrus, and plenty of herbal and floral presence. Wheat malt in there, too.

Mouthfeel and flavor greet you with a tangy, tart citrus sharpness, well-rounded with a wheaty, bready smoothness. Some grassy, and leathery mustiness come thru in the middle. Light touch of spices, including the advertised corriander are in the finish. Great carbonation level.

Huge on the drinkability meter. This was fresh, crisp, and flowed so easily. I could go through 10 of these on a long summer afternoon.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

The look of this beer is light golden in color, with a wet and greasy feel to the head, a frothy foam that swirls around the tulip shaped glass.

The smell is citrus yeast, and changes through out the tasting.

The first impression is that this is too citrusy, lemonade-like, tart, but there is a wonderful "slide down your throat" mouthfeel.

The saltiness is apparent in the finish, along with a bready-yeasty aftertaste that give the whole tart experience balance.

This is a way under-rated beer that should come in six packs and be sold on every corner.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

I had been wanting to try this for some time and lo and behold it was a new arrival at Zeno's. Tried this in a small goblet.

Appearance was a cloudy yellow with a slight orange tint. Head was a nice frothy white. Aromas was a mixture of coriander, wine and wheat. The taste was comple; strong tones of wheat, with a bit of saline, lemon and coriander. A slightly sour finish followed.

Felt like I could drink several of these, but decided to try something else new...

4.25/5  rDev +9%

I lived in Germany for over a year and never came into contact with a single Gose, and now 2 years later I finally have the chance to have one.

This beer is great, I have no idea why it almost went extinct in Germany after the second World War. It is easy to drink and so different than the usual German beer.

The appearance was of golden straw with a billowing white head that went on for days.

The smell was slightly grassy, but the smell of the spices and the salt shone through. The salt was what did it for me. I tire quickly of overly sweet beers (and food). I've always had a salt-tooth and this sates it quite nicely. I've salted other beers before to see what it would be like, but this was the first beer I've had that was brewed with salt... and I loved it.

The mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. Almost like a Lindemans, but without the overly sweet syrupy flavor.

At only 4.5% abv you could drink these all day. Which I plan to do once it warms up around here. It was under $4 for a .33L bottle, which isn't great, but is cheep enough to have a few on a day and not feel like you're breaking the bank.

I look forward to drinking more of this particular beer, and other Goses in general.

An intereting beer and after having this one example, a style that needs to be explored more. Pours a clear golden color with a large white head that had good retention before settling to a thin cap. Just a little lacing is left behind. The aroma is that of a witbier. It consists of yeasty phenols and coriander with hints of lemon and sour apples. The flavor starts with wheat malt, then it turns mildly tart, then slightly salty in the finish. The spice is not really noticed at all. The body feels a bit thin and flat. An enjoyable beer and none of the unique elements are too robust so it should not scare anyone away.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in a Hirter stange.

Pours a very hazy lemon straw with a fairly thick white foamy head that disappears almost entirely after a minute or so. The smell is heavy on the lemon, with dashes of cracked pepper, salt, and very subtle hops. The taste generally follows the nose, with the coriander hiking up the lemony flavor, pushing the pepper to the back, and nearly drowning out the hops' bitterness. In the end, a general saltiness coming through on the back and sides of the tongue. This overall fruitiness and spiciness makes for a pretty distinctive tasting. That, coupled with a generously medium body and low ABV, makes for a nicely drinkable brew.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Picked this up at Brewforia about a couple weeks ago.. I've only had it one time before, and that was from Belmont Station, and that brew was in the fridge for about a year before I got to it and I didn't think it deserved to be reviewed after such along stint in my fridge. Poured into my small weizen glass... nice 1" head dies quickly leaving a crystal clear golden brew.

Nose is slightly sour fruit skins.. a bit musky.. some spice that I'm having a hard time putting my nose on.

Flavor is wheat malts and some sour essence that is hard to describe.. reminds me of "sour grapes" no pun intended.. something that I can only describe as lemony... the "salt" really only shows on the finish and perhaps to bring the palate together.. The body is on a slightly higher league as a Helles.. the carbonation is the same..

I wish I would have researched this style a bit before opening this again... the lemon and sour aspects are inviting, yet make me think too much for such a refreshing brew.

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/4

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Cloudy goldenrod color with substantial head and lacing. This is one chunky beer! Bits and pieces of sediment linger, even after I swirl my glass lightly.

Smell: Salty and sour, with lots of yeast.

Taste: Initially, the taste is salty, mildly spicy, and slightly sour. Sourness is less than the aroma indicates, however. On the finish, dark fruits come out, probably plums like the bottle indicates. This is kind of like what a hefeweizen might taste like if it had salt and a little bit of dark fruits instead of the banana taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a slight ping from the salt/spices.

Drinkability: Interesting enough that I wish I had another bottle, but I don't think I'd drink this all night.

Notes: Naturally, this was my first review of a Gose. I was pleased with this beer because I appreciate wheat beers when they are well-made. However, it is less amazing than the rarity of this style might lead one to believe. That said, I'd love to see more German brewers start brewing Gose beers again, as well as get some American interpretations out there. As far as rare styles go, it's rather mundane, but if Gose was a more common style, I'd choose this when I felt like a light wheat beer but not a hefeweizen.

4.8/5  rDev +23.1%

I have had this on tap in Leipzig a few times, and I wonder if it's better in Leipzig--most reviewers here say the salt is in the aftertaste, but I have always found the salt to be close to the front of the taste palate. It's cloudy gold with a two-finger head and smells like sweet seawater mixed with a wheat beer.

I think the taste is a treat--I get the salt/sea/spice/brine at the beginning, and then that gives way to a prickly sweet taste with some apple flavors and a tart wheat backbone, with a bit of the brine and salt again in the finish. The mouthfeel is light, smooth, and bright. Truly a one-of-a-kind beer, I would consider moving to Leipzig just so I could have this all the time.

Poured from 12oz bottle into goblet...

A: Nice frothy two finger head, stark white, creamy with decent lacing. Falls slowly to a thin foam.

S: Tart lemony grapes, slight musty, faint wheat, slightly floral noble hops.

T: Very tart, lots of lemon, faint white grape mixed with musty earth. Lemons really linger long into the finish along with a mild saltiness. Pretty dry, no spice sensation at all.

M: Light body, very crisp carbonation really attacks the tastebuds. Very dry.

D: In the summertime this would be the perfect solution to a hot day. Crisp, refreshing, lots of lemon....this must be what widmer is always trying to attain....lol

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Finally bit the bullet and picked up this bottle the other day. What an incredible looking bottle, Loooong neck w/ a swing-top and fat base.

A- Dark gold color with a nice bubbly head. Lots of carbonation visible rising from the center of the glass.

S- Musty, smell of lemon, grass, and wheat.

T- Tart fruits, earthy grains and wheat.

M- Crisp and refreshing, lots of carbonation leading to a dry finish. A very enjoyable feeling going down

D- This is a very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I would purchase it again if it wasn't so expensive.

3.58/5  rDev -8.2%

on tap at the bavarian lodge.

A- this one pours out a murky and bright golden colored body with a full two fingers of head. the head lasts for a while and leaves behind small rings of lacing.

S- slightly tart. very earthy and musty. a bit of noble hops as well.

T- earthy and musty. slightly salty. decently tart but not overwhelming. noble hops at the end.

M- light bodied and almost watery. highly carbonated. leaves the mouth feeling dry.

D- this one was different for sure. not sure i would order this again, but i couldnt pass up a style i have never tried before.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Gasthaus Gose is a amber/yellow color with a modest white head that has little retention. The aroma reminds me of butter. The taste is lemony. I cannot taste the salt, which is odd because I'm on a low salt diet and crave salt. The feel is light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability is fair: low taste and high price.

As the beer warms, I finally taste the salt, don't think it really adds much to the taste. If this is true to style, the Gose is not my cup of tea.

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Lucky enough to grab a draft of this personal favorite at The Buckeye Beer Engine 12/1/2008.

A-Slightly hazy, bright golden pilsner yellow with a thin white ring that left spotty lace.

S-Salty, tart, spicy notes. Light aromas and not overly pungent but present nonetheless. A touch of lime sourness in the background.

T-Lime sourness up front with a light spiciness and salty finish. Tart, but not sour and very tasty. Certainly not over the top--this one is subtle--don't expect a hammer to the palate.

M-Light bodied, quite crisp with a lingering spicy tartness.

D-Excessively so! Tons of flavour with a very interesting salty spiciness. All of this with a low ABV--glad to see this rare style rescued from the beer graveyard! Nice stuff for sure!

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a new style of beer for me, so my review on this style and beer could be...taking the wrong way. Shape of the bottle is exquisite, the bell shape or what you may call it is great. At first I thought it was a liquor.

The smell of this beer right out of the bottle was old and musty, almost would like to compare it to and Affligem Tripel. The pour was a smooth golden crisp cloudiness with a slight fizz with minimal lacing. The initial taste was tart with a twist of citrus and a shake spice, and oh yea lets not forget about the SALT

First time every having this beer and hopefully I can try more this style.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Smells like salty dirty dishwater. Tastes the same.

I tried this on tap at Pauls Bavarian Lodge in Lisle. As rare and as unique as this is, I had to try it. I've never had a Gose before, so I am not able to rate this within the style, but my understanding is that this is the benchmark Gose by which all others are compared.

As I mentioned above, the aroma resembles dirty dishwater with some saltiness. It also tastes pretty watery with a mild-moderate amount of sourness up front. There isn't much more exciting flavors to note.

It is a light beverage, and as such, is fairly easy to drink (for a sour anyway). Unfortunately, there just isn't much more to it than that.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Cloudy golden yellow color with a decent sized white head that fell quickly with no lacing. Predominate aroma is orange followed by wheat and a light acidity. Flavor is very interesting and unique. This is my first Gose, so I didn't know what to completely expect, but I'm actually digging the light saltiness in the background. Flavor lightly tart, but it's not on the same level as a Berliner Weiss, there plenty of coriander it's followed by a crisp wheat twang and some more citrus qualities that were present in the nose. Very orangey, and I like it. Crisp, light body, refreshing. Interesting stuff. Doesn't taste a whole lot different than other German wheats, except the addition of salt, which really isn't overly-present. But it was pretty good, and I'm glad I had the chance to try this style.

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

Served in a tulip glass at American Flatbread in Burlington, VT.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a one finger white head with solid retention. Aromas of orange, corriander, apple, & sweet tarts. Sweetness in the orange, sourness in the lemon, tartness in the wheat, spiciness in the corriander and even some salt in the taste, this beer has it all, very complex. Medium carbonation, light body this is an easy drinking beer.
My first gose, I really enjoyed this beer and am looking forward to finding some more. I never thought that I would enjoy a beer with salt in the taste, go figure.

Poured into a Weizen glass.

A: Cloudy apple cider, with a lot suspended yeast chunks. A fizzy off-white head has OK retention, but leaves no lace.

S: Sweet and sour. Sweetness comes from apple. The sourness has a heavy vinegar quality to it. A slight mineral water aroma rounds things out.

T: Light, refreshing and a bit different. A vinegar sourness is the main theme here. There's very little bitterness at work, but there is a light lemon flavor. In the background is a very light biscuit flavor, plus a dash of coriander. Finishes dry, tart and a little salty.

M: The body is light and slightly chewy. Carbonation feels a bit low.

D: I'd never had one of these before, but I had a bit of an idea going in what this would be like. The tart sourness is actually quite refreshing. The low ABV makes it an easy drinker.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof