Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
3.56/5  rDev -8.7%

My 300th beer tasted, something special this time. It comes in the best bottle I have seen, although it is a bit pricey at 16.00, if I ever get it again I will just get the pint bottle for 5$ now that I have the collectible bottle.

Pours a beautiful hazed gold, reminiscent of Belgian Witbiers and not exactly the German Hefeweizen. The head is rapidly rising, white, and compact, but it is a good 4 fingers and sticks around for more than 5 minutes, one of the slowest receding heads I have seen.

THe smell is wheaty, with some corriander, sour lemon, and apple scents, not bad, reminiscent of the sour Belgian Wits.

Good carbonation and mouthfeel as the flavor sticks with you after the drink. Up front it is sour with lemon being predominant. Later you get a beadier taste that ends in the very finish with a salty acidic twang with undertones of the malt.

It was better than I was expecting as I am not a fan of sour wheat beers, but this one is not as offensive as most and was decently enjoyable, a small glass is satisfying for me, maybe not the most drinkable brew.

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Was served in a tall pilsener glass. The body was a hazy pale yellow with lots of persistent coarse bubble trains. The head was rocky, white and well-retained... slowly giving way to some nice lacing.

S- Barnyard and sour aromas dominate the nose... horseblanket, straw and some lactic notes. I was anticipating a whiff of corriander, but I'm not getting any...

T- As anticipated, I'm getting the moderate flavors of straw, horseblanket and lactic sourness... but the sour notes are stronger than expected. A swirl in the mouth reveals some slightly soapy lemongrass notes. The salinity comes in the finish along with a TINY hint of corriander. Just lovely!

M- Light bodied overall... slightly oily mouthfeel with surprisingly soft carbonation (carbonation appeared to be coarse when observed from the glass).

D- This is a wonderfully drinkable beer that bridges a gap between a berliner weisse and a wild flemish ale. None of the flavors or aromas seem overpowering, and the ABV makes it quite sessionable. What a treat to have on draft!

NOTE: This was sampled at Max's in Baltimore. They had three kegs available, and my sample was taken from keg #3 of 3. I have been told that each keg has tasted differently- which makes my review somewhat less relevant to the overall assessment of this beer. It seems that someone can easily get a 'good' glass of this beer, and next door someone might get a 'bad' glass...

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at Max's, thanks to a stranger who bought me this!

Mildly hazy yellow-orange with a thin white head. Retention is decent, and there's patchy lace too. On the nose, this is fabulous. Savory with salt and coriander, coupled with a mild tartness, this is just so refreshing! Fresh cut cilantro comes to mind as I drink this light bodied beer. Mildly tart with a combination of lemony and lactic sourness. The tartness really opens to palate to the combination of the salt and coriander, this works wonderfully! Mildly wheaty/bready, this is excellent. Dry and mildly tart on the finish, this is an exceptionally drinkable and refreshing beer.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Max's during their recent German festival.

The beer pours a light golden color with OK head retention and lacing. Don't get a lot on the nose, just some light tartness and saurkraut. Flavors for the most part replicate the nose, except the tartness really dominates this beer. However, it's actually pretty nice, as there's almost what I would call a "brightness" to the tart flavor profile. Mouthfeel is very light, but with a mouthwatering component. Drinkability is exceptional, and I'm sure this beer would be just excellent on a warm summer day.

Nothing spectacular here, but still, this is a very easy to drink and appreciate beer... the sort of thing one could easily drink all day without doing too much harm. Nice.

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a cloudy gold with dark floaties and a light 1 finger bubbly white head. No real lacing.

Some sour scents, along with yeast and wheat. Nothing spectacular here.

Everything listed in ingredients shows up in the taste. Wheat malt, yeast, coriander, and surprisingly, a seltzer-like saltiness. A little like seltzer mixed with a hefe. There's some watery sourness that I'm just ok with.

Lighter in the mouth, decent carbonation.

Overall, it went down ok, but it wasn't something I really overly enjoyed either. Just ok. A little too watery, a little too salty/tart, and just not enough to make me chase this one again.

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

Tap @ Hamiltons. First gose I've had. Poured a hazy, but bright yellow-gold with a fizzy yellow head. Lots of tiny bubbles in the carbonation. Floral aroma, as in, I smell rose bushes. Toasted bread, lemon, and wheat. Popping mouthfeel that enhances the acididy of the beer. Sweet, spiced flavor with a lot of acidity. Tangy wheat and a strange lime/yeast/flower petal taste. Dry crisp finish. It was nice, just impossible to pin down what it was. Interesting, and a good sour.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

L: Pours a hazy orange yellow color with a short and medium bodied white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of toasted malts, lemon, and some spices I can't put my finger one but have a slightly sour aroma to them.
T: Tart citrus flavors on top of some slightly sour spices underneath a wheaty malt flavor.
M: Kind of light, sour, and the perfect amount of carbonation.
D: OK, I would probably not have more than 1 of these in a sitting but it was easy to drink that one.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Got this beer at a local beer shop. It was kind of expensive so it took me a couple of times before I pulled the trigger. I'm so glad I did. Not only is it the only bottle Gose beer I've seen in the country, this beer is amazing. Run out. Stop reading, buy and drink this beer.
This beer is light yellow and clear. It pours with a serious head but it falls away to almost nothing really quick. There is steady carbonation, small bubbles. I'm drinking this out of a Radeberger pilsner flute, the best vessel I could find. The smell is interesting. Spice, I can't quite put my finger on it, corridander maybe. The taste, its amazing, lactic sourness, sweetness, spice comes through. This beer is so refreshing. My wife loves it as well. Its a great drink, all around. Well done. Why are you still reading? Go get it!

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow hue, with a few fingers of foamy white head, which leaves thin webbed lace as it melts away. It smells of lemon citrus, wheat, and floral, grassy hops. The taste is sour, acidic lemon, sweet wheat grain, and herbal hops. The carbonation is fairly muted, the body a bit thin and oily, and it finishes dry and lemony.

A nicely refreshing, and surprisingly sour fruity beer. Right up my alley.

4.19/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Two fingers of white head on a slightly hazy, yellow body. The foam settles slowly and leaves good lace.

S - Lively lemon oil aroma, very fresh and unique. Lots of spicy wheat and slightly fruity yeast.

T - Tart wheat with a huge lemon note and a hint of lime. Grainy and puckeringly acidic in the finish but not quite what I would call sour.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry, cider-like finish.

D - An extremely unique and refreshing beer that is very drinkable. The aroma is spectacular, it smells like oil squeezed out of a fresh lemon peel, though the flavor is not quite as good. This one is a must try if you come across it and the style is deserving of the revival is it experiencing.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

On tap at Brauhaus Schmitdz

A: Cloudy golden yellow.... whispy white head.

S: Delcious, complex blend of citrus fruits and floaral flowers (ha!) with a nice sour yeasty funk.

T: Citrusy (lemon and orange) with a mellow sour yeasty funk. Slight peppery note. Very good, not overpowerng.

M: Light body, dry and tart finnish. Thin.

D: Light yet complex. Nice intro to sours, but not much heavier in flavor than a diet lemony water drink.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap, served in a pilsner glass. Hazy gold color, thick white head, tiny bit of lacing. Aroma of wheat and citrus. Very tart lemon taste, some malt. Well-balanced. The beer had a real piquancy to it, and was very refreshing on a hot summer day. Will have it again.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

Special 1pt 9.4fl oz bottle from Wasatch in a recent trade. Very cool swingtop with a long neck on an oval shaped bottle. Very interesting, definitely a good one for the collection. Noted as 4.6% abv on the bottle.

A: Fairly cloudy deep gold, almost an orange color, white head about 1/4 of inch or so, pretty fair retention, not much lacing. Still a nice looking beer.

S: Tangy wheat malts, smells lemony, and maybe even a bit of barnyard funk just barely, not exactly that smell, but somewhat reminiscent of it. Smells quite bready. This smells quite tasty.

T: Quite wheaty and tart, has a definite lemon like quality, really not much bitterness, smooth easy going beer. Very flavorful on a hot day. Quite acidic, this almost has a puckering power. I know the style is known for using salt, but I can't really detect too much. This is an impressive beer. Quite tasty.

M: Slightly sour pucker, and acidic, smooth, light carbonation, and fairly dry. Goes down nice and begs for another sip.

D: This is one of the easiest drinking beers I've ever had. Goes down smooth, and doesn't feel like much, I'm sad I can't get this more readily, because after a long hot day, this would be prime-time. Excellent beer, highly recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

What a revelationj this beer is on-tap. I'd had it a couple of times in the bottle before, and while I thought it was interesting and pretty good, it didn't really grab me as a style or a beer. Once I had it on tap this summer at the Brick Store Pub, I just couldn't stop drinking it. It seems that at least every other time I would go to the pub I would order one of these, and it just kept getting better and better, particularly if it were hot outside. The bottles are also quite expensive, so this is relatively a much better deal. So refreshing, and the touch of salt an loads of coriander eventually made it addictive for me. Something just seemed to click with this beer on draft. Pours a super carbonated pale yellow with a very white fluffy head. Smells very slightly sour, with a hint of lemon and green apple and spicy with fresh wheat and you can smell a slight salty tang. Tastes very, very refreshing. Lots of coriander and some crisp wheat up front, and then the salty tang is quite noticeable against a background of light citrusy sourness and tannic, salty bitterness. This part of the beer is reminiscent of a salting crabapples that I remember doing as a child in the south. The salt, corander, citrus, and bitterness fronted by the spicy wheat just works- some type of alchemy is surely at work here. Thirst quenching in the mouth, with the slightest bit of prickliness, and perfectly refreshing. My new favorite summer beer.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy gold color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with a good amount of grassiness. As it warms a small amount of tart fruit aromas waft out.

Tastes very good. Wheat flavors up front are joined by mildly herbal hops and ends with a slight tartness. I tried to taste any hint of the salt but got nothing.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I finished my glass fairly quickly and could have another.

Overall this is a tasty beverage. This is my first gose and was fairly impressed. Worth a shot.

3.71/5  rDev -4.9%

Had on-tap at Brauhaus Schmitz in Philly.

Really nice yellow peach with frothy white head.

Maybe it is because my palate is dull, but I'm not picking much up off of this beer. Its flavors are very muted. I can pick up the salt in it. The guy next to me had a great description of this beer: like a Belgian witbier mixed with a hefeweizen but filtered.

So refreshing, but I was hoping for a deeper flavor profile. Not bad. But I'd rather go with a Berlinner Weisse or hefeweizen.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Drank on tap at Brauhaus Schmitz. Pours a glowing yellow color with small white head, looks like a glass of sunshine and smells of a sweet, citrus lemongrass. Intial taste of slight honey and corriander, then a solid lemon flavor, not too overpowering though. Great summer beer, not too heavy, could drink all day under the hot sun.

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Pours cloudy like a weizen beer, but a paler yellow color. Head isn't billowy or lasting, a bit flatter. Some spotty lacing.

S: Quite interesting aroma. There's an appreciable amount of coriander, a yeasty fruitiness, and a fresh sea salt all emanating from the glass.

T&M: Thankfully, the salt is more subdued in the flavor than in the aroma. Flavor is smooth, with a muted lemony fruitiness. Also, some coriander and wheat. Salt appears to simply mellow things out and keep it dry. Very light body with a light carbonation. An interesting style.

D: Rather drinkable. Not sure if I'd session this, because I like beers with a bit more flavor. Still, a solid brew.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

This beer pours a slightly hazy, golden color with a two finger white sudsy head to it. Head recedes rather quickly, not much lacing to speak of - spots here and there. Nose is of lemons, some saltiness, yeasts, some heavy spicing. Taste ... is a LOT more mellow than I expected. I had only ever tasted a Gose before at a tasting and I wanted to rip my tongue out. This is pretty damn good. Taste is very lemony and yeasty up front, but the coriander kicks in quite nicely and not overdone, sour kicks in during the finish. Light to medium bodied - taste makes it feel heavier though it's light on the tongue, medium carbonation, slick and oily feel to it. It goes down very smooth, and is hitting the spot on this warm and muggy night. Not sure I could put away more than two of these but a nice beer none-the-less.

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

this brew pours up a clear gold color with a big white fizzy head. the nose is pretty faint, light fruits, faint malts. the taste is salty, lemons, faint malts, easy drinking and refreshing. light bodied, low carbo. Would make a good sessioner. "I can finally afford a young crazy stripper wife!"

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

On a whim, picked up a bottle at the Wine Gallery Boston for $4.99. I've only had a gose once, and it was years ago. Poured into a short stange glass. Very cloudy yellow body. Bubbly white head, but a noticeable lack of carbonation bubbles. Slight lacing on the glass. Smelled a bit peppery, lemony, and grassy. Taste was smoother than I would have though. Had a very wheat-like flavor, and definitely some spice like coriander. I didn't really notice the salt until after the swallow. Makes your palate feel dry like you just ate some pretzels. A dry, doughy aftertaste. It's a very smooth beer due to the low abv, and fairly easy to drink. While not abundantly flavorful, I could drink a few of these. It's bottle conditioned, so watch out for the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. A nice (re)introduction to an obscure style.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a pale golden color thats a bit hazy with a big inch and a half of fluffy head.

Smells of sour wheat malt, some citrus (lemon/lime) and some yeastiness, not much else comes to mind.

Taste is quite unique, a quick of jolt of sweet/sour like a sour patch kid is followed by a bit of saltiness (like Gatorade) in the finish. Its definitely a sour tasting beer but very well balanced and quite delicious.

I could drink a LOT of these on a hot day that is for sure, if only the small bottles were more affordable.

This gose contains: Water, Wheat Malt, Barley Malt, Hops, Yeast, Coriander and Salt.

Who would think that all those things together coulc be so good.

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%

A hazy straw colored brew, pours with a good amount of head, puffy, composed of bubbles of many sizes. Retention is middling, lacing few and far between.

Tangy threshed wheat, grain, bread. Some banana, lemon too. Coriander. Dusty yeast. The aroma gets a bit sharp, even a bit spicy at the end, providing a nice counterpoint to the wheat.

Light wheat malt. Banana, less citrus than in the nose, but it's still there, lemon-limey. Dusty, dry yeast. The lactic acid builds up on the palate.

A crisp, light-medium bodied, easy drinking wheat. The slightest dip in carbonation lends it a different feel, I found, in varying pours from the 750ml bottle. Very nice feel, usually and for the most part.

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I had a bottle, which I poured into a glass. I didn't decant to try and remove the yeast, I swirled the yeast just like a hefeweizen and added it to the glass. The spicy taste and the saltiness came right out when I drank the beer. I liked the taste. Very little hop bitterness. I found it easy to drink, but the saltiness might get to some folks.

3.47/5  rDev -11%

330 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Opaque light-gold color with chunks of yeast floating around. Small, fizzy white head. Aroma is briny and tart with lemons, wheat, and bruised crabapple. Flavor is muted and refreshing. Rather wheaty with a light citric tartness, a whisper of spiced apple cider, and aspiriny coriander reminiscent of Hoegaarden. Watery and drinkable.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof