Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Zorro

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a hazy orange colored brew.

Smell is light sweet wheat malt and citrus. There are some other fruity scents here but they are all jumbled together in a juicy fruit type of scent. Odors of tea are in here too. Can't smell any salt but I live 5 miles from the ocean and I am sure it is a scent I tune out without thinking about it. Banana and clove scents show up after a bit like a Hefe weizen.

Taste is fruity and mild up front with mild wheat malt and banana bread to start. Taste gets tart after a bit. Low but detectable hop bittering in the finish. Very estery but more like the British ale version than the German wheat beer version. Lots of roasted marshmallow flavor.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable brew, I can't understand why it isn't made by more breweries. Hard to describe, think of wheat beer Gatorade. I would consider this for everyday use if only an American brewery made it. Alaskan brewing has shown mastery at making Altbier maybe they should try Gose?

07-24-2005 21:52:20 | More by Zorro
francisweizen

Alaska

I'm pretty sure I reviewed this one at one point, but apparantly i'm mistaken. This is a rare beer as only a handful of breweries in one region of German even make it anymore! Anyway it's now widely available in the states, and although it is quite pricey ir is definately a nice taste experience. This is a light gold, off-white brew with a big head of white foam that dies quickly and leaves almost no lacing on my glass. Aromas are all coriander, and citrus, just like a classic wit or wheat, but it is spicy as well and it does not have a strong hefe-y sort of flavor to it. Taste is salty/sour and spicy with the nice wit notes in the mix as well. No real fruity banana or German yeasty esters show their head though! Mouthfeel is medium bodied and the finish is dry, drinkability is pretty nice. A real "one-of-a-kind" brew that I quite like, but don't drink often...It will be cool to sup this one in Germany at the source soon...

07-23-2005 06:55:35 | More by francisweizen
DrunkMcDermott

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Tasted at a homebrew club meeting. Interesting. The salt, coriander and wheat are indeed all in there. Kind of horsey and sour, with a definite lactic quality. I guess it's a beer that's exactly as advertised! Salt gives it a softened water taste. Then it finishes with a little sweetness. Not to my personal taste, but a pleasure to have discovered this.

07-15-2005 14:21:13 | More by DrunkMcDermott
dwvarner77

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a very hazy, yeasty, light copper color with a quarter inch of slightly off-white head that resides mostly at the perimiter. Nose is of wheat, sweet and spicy, somewhat orange, subtle not strong.
Taste upfront is wheat and a bit of orange; there's a hint of bitterness, and the salt is evident to me in the aftertaste. There's certainly more there that I'm not capturing in the description, but I'm failing to find the appropriate words.
Mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but not sticky or offensive. Pretty crisp on the finish.
Very interesting style; haven't had anything like it before, still trying to wrap my mind around it. Certainly worth a try.

07-03-2005 03:27:35 | More by dwvarner77
horndecker

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

There's no "best before" date anywhere, so I've no idea how long this bottles been sitting on the store shelf. Seems ok though.

Brassy golden color with a decent head, a bit of suds linger.

The aromas are of bitter herbs, citrus, ashes and pepper, spinach. A little bit musty. Odd. As it warms things get a bit more pronounced, but no less confusing.

And it gets stranger, as advertised. The first sip brings a big mineral wash, salty and seltzery. (Alka-Seltzer comes to mind) Behind that is mellow grain and wheat. It's tart and acidic, sometimes sudsy, occasionally impersonating a Berliner Weiss, but then the salt intervenes again. Flashes of different fruit and vegetal flavors whizz by. And you know, once you accept and embrace the salt, it's quite a brew.

It finishes dry, almost dusty, probably an impression caused by the salt, which lasts through the aftertaste.

I liked the look of it and the taste of it, but never came to an agreeement with the smell of it. Still, I will certainly try this again, with the expectation that there's more to appreciate.

06-29-2005 00:00:50 | More by horndecker
SheepNutz

Kentucky

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

Half-a-liter bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of head. There is a nice amount of lacing present. The smell is fruity and salty, a weird combo. Orange peel mixed with sea salt comes to mind. The taste has lots of citrus as well. Lime and orange take over, with some saltiness on the finish. Even a little peppery spice. The body is fairly thick and strong. The drinkability is good too. Thanks to Kev for introducing me to this style of beer.

06-22-2005 03:10:35 | More by SheepNutz
shippos

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

poured a hazy opaque orange witha a lot of carbonation released after pouring, lots of bubble action forming a dense white head.
fruity nose with corriander very reminescent of a wit style aroma although a bit under played on the some of the spice. good mouthfeel, nice refreshing wheat character...mixed style sort of...cross between a hefe and wit. clean aftertaste with just a hint of sourness in the finish.

06-16-2005 22:05:27 | More by shippos
clvand0

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A salt beer? Hmm. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small head that has good retention and leaves a small amount of lacing. The aroma is a little sour with something else that gives it a sharp edge. The flavor has a citrus thing going on, but then has a strange salty drying sensation at the end. Light body. I didn't enjoy this one much. Just not my thing.

06-16-2005 19:01:07 | More by clvand0
GClarkage

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/12/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- A bit of a cloudy golden pour, a large on the creamy side foamy head and above average lacing. At least 1/2 inch of head was left throughout the entire beer.

Smell- A touch of corriander as well as a bit of a black olive scent. Maybe some kind of vegatable scent as well. Interesting, but not bad.

Taste- Was prepared to not like this one because of the "salt" factor. But, was I ever suprised. Tastes like a combo between a pils, hefe and get this...a flanders type ale? It has the nice wheat and corriander which makes you think weizen, and the light metallic twinge and bit of grain that says pils and I guess because of the salt, it creates a tad bit of sourness you might find in a flanders. All rolled into one it really works.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonation than expected, very smooth, clean and crisp as well.

Drinkability- This is a great summer beer. So easy to drink and one of the most refreshing beers I have had. The price was a bit steep ($4.50 I think), but it was worth it. I'm wishing I snagged another couple of these. Damn!

05-13-2005 17:25:12 | More by GClarkage
kmpitz2

Tennessee

From notes. The brew poured a dirty straw color with a 1.5 finger head that stuck around very well. The nose was slight lemoney tart with a bit of graineyness in there that was slightly offensive to me. The flavor was better than the nose. Grainey, slightly orangey and raisiney with a salty finish after swallowing the brew. Better than the nose told me. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. I like the saltyness on the finish. Very unique twist to a brew. Overall, I think I will have to visit this one again. I have a second bottle that will definately help make my mind up. I didn't find this to be anything overly special, but something inside me says that it should be.

Editing. I'm chosing to edit the review as opposed to add a new one as I don't think the first bottle was as ok as it could be.

Nice 3 finger head that falls slowly to a very healthy coat. Hazy orange color. Nose is pretty nice. A lot going on in there. I get lemon-spritzed banans most prevalent. The flavor is still not as impressive as I would hope. I get a saltyness initially, moving to a grainey flavor, but not harsh, and finishing a light fig or raisin. The feel is a solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. Drinkability is a little better than I gave it before. It is a well rounded beer. I'd get it when looking for something different. Bumping it to a solid 4 all around

05-08-2005 03:59:17 | More by kmpitz2
Globetrotter

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This gem appeared on the shelves of Moscow's premiere supermarket when I was there the other day. 750 ml bottle with resealable pop-top and a long tall neck that makes the whole thing as tall as a wine bottle, with an oval shaped body that looks like a decanter. The happy German is still on the label. Salt and coriander are listed as ingredients (presumably dodging the purity law by calling the product a beer-specialty, rather than a beer). Best before 3/29/06, I opened it on 5/1/05 - Happy May Day.

Pours a hazy pale gold under a thick one finger white head that has lots of body but doesn't stay very long. A few spots and strings of lace cling to the glass. Distinct spicey nose, with the coriander mixing pleasantly with the citrus of a usual German weizen. The mouth is highly carbonated and fairly light. There is a definite tanginess here, like a weizen, but somehow sweeter. The coriander is not overpowering, but is definitely present. There is a slight saltiness in the finish, rather like mild perspiration. The sweet fruitiness is a touch like lemonade, or perhaps a Berliner Weisse. Certainly an interesting brew, although I can't say I would want more than one glass under most circumstances.

05-01-2005 17:41:04 | More by Globetrotter
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

ahhhh the mysterious style of Gose...

I feel fortunate to say that there are about 3 stores within ten minutes of me that carry this on a regular basis (let me rephrase...it is probably never restocked since its first shipment). The bottle has a jovial german man who seems to be happy about something. This poured out a hazy straw color with a nice sticky head forming right away. There was a good amount of spontaneous carbonation running all through the glass. The aroma was delicate and floral doughy presence. Small traces of spices popped through as well. The taste is definately different than anything I have had before. I would't say it is an unfamiliar taste in the sense of other Wiezen styles, but the saltiness is an unfamiliar touch. Apparently the use of salt in this style of beer traces back to some real old-school brewing practices that are not so common anymore. The salt aspect is not what I was expecting. It is much more subtle than table salt, but it lingers enough to know it is major piece of this brew. The salt and corriander leave my mouth very dry, but refeshed. I can say that this not a style of beer that I am crazy about, but it is a very unique beer that I feel honored to have tried. This is true old-school German brewing.

04-30-2005 00:12:30 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
twelvsies

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

A really unique beer, which always scores points in my book. Pours a light yellow orange amber color with a poofy white head. Smells spicy and dusty. Those scents are even more pronounced in the taste, which is pretty complex. Nice herbal hop taste with lots of complex spicy backgrounds. The use of corriander and salt is definately apparent, and in my opinion pretty interesting. This beer also has a pretty apparent funky taste as found in Belgian styles, a good surprise I wasn't expecting. Really nice and smooth mouthfeel makes this beer particularly refreshing and a pleasure to drink. If you want something out of the ordinary go pick up a bottle of this stuff. The dude on the front of the bottle looks like he's having a blast.

04-03-2005 20:11:27 | More by twelvsies
rhoadsrage

3.9/5  rDev 0%

1 pint .9 fl oz served in a pilsner glass

A-crystal clear orange golden color with a big billowy off-white head and lots of strong carbonation

S- bready aroma with hits of honey and coriander and pils malt. Some very faint plastic or chemical hints.

T- sweet light maltyness with a spicy clove aftertaste with a hint of banana/wheat. A slight saltwater taste hangs in the back of my throat, but it is more pleasant that painful. No hop presents in any part of the tasting.

M- Thick mouth with light carbonated mouthfeel

D- This is a very unique smooth beer. It has a good pale malt taste with a nice spicy finish. Very nice for a summer quafting beer. Nothing to shock the tastebuds but a good solid beer.

02-25-2005 01:13:38 | More by rhoadsrage
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

Very cloudy amber, nice color. Gentle 1cm white head, no carbonation apparent. Wild aroma, salty hops with a little matchstick, faint malt and lemony hints. A bit empty body-wise, it tastes rather meaty, vegetal, mineral, all over a tart background a bit like sour bread and rhubarb. Sour and Salty ain’t no friends. Light body, light carbonation. Bleh, hopefully the other gose defends this style better, because this one is one of those select few that deserves twice more points for the appearance than taste.

01-12-2005 20:03:15 | More by Rastacouere
cokes

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Murky pumpkin with a fat round eggshell head.
Nose of cilantro and rust with a backing from lemon rind.
Begins with wavering peach muffin doughiness. Dries as it goes towards lemon rind. Herbal towards the middle with loads of leafy cilantro. Weizen traits later, before a sense of rusty tin and iron arrise, then the salt appears with a lightly acrid bitterness. Rounds out with a continuation from the bitter herbs and lip-lickingly dry from the salt.
A lightness of body and a fully-fluffed creaminess ease this rapidly through the tubes.
This is a beautiful thing.

01-05-2005 02:37:28 | More by cokes
beveragecaptain

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

.5 liter bottle. Pours a hazy yellowish brown color. The large foamy head lasts a long time, and there are nice clumps of lace on the side of my .5 liter weissbier glass. The aroma is fruit (lemon and apple), yeast, spices, and a little funk. The flavor is fruity, much like tart apples. There is a malty wheat flavor, and little hop flavor or bitterness. The balance comes from the salt. There is a coriandor flavor, but it is not as strong as in many spiced Belgian beers. Very crisp and refreshing. This beer tasted weird to me at first, but the more I drank, the more I loved it. I could drink this stuff all the time.

12-20-2004 00:14:29 | More by beveragecaptain
allengarvin

4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Half-liter bottle, in a weizen glass. I wish I had a gose glass, but without one, one of my many weizen glasses will work.

Appearance: Light orange-amber appearance, very turbid and cloudy. Small head.

Aroma: Witbier-like: coriander and wheat aroma.

Flavor/Body: Good deal of wheat flavor, and weizen-like clovey phenols rise up after a moment. Some fruitiness, but not identifiable as to what fruit. Finish is acidic, and salt is lightly detectable. Body is medium-light, leading to a very quaffable beer.

This is only the 2nd bottle I've had of this very distinctive beer (bought off the internet, as it's not distributed here). The first time, a couple years back, I thought I tasted the salt a lot more than I do now. I think this would be a perfect beer with some semi-soft cheeses (like Chimay's wonderful cheeses).

11-04-2004 02:13:34 | More by allengarvin
mschofield

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a slightly hazy amber-gold, topped with a huge four finger marshmallowy white head. Leaves rings of lacing with interconnecting webs.
Coriander strong in the aroma, and the salt is stronger than I thought it would be - more of a kosher or sea salt type than a table salt, flowers, a bit grainy, wheat and a touch of citrus.
Spicy and fruity taste, bread and dried apricots. Salty "briny" aftertaste.
Light-medium bodied, I was a bit at a loss as I had no experience to compare this one against.

09-20-2004 17:46:43 | More by mschofield
GeoffRizzo

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Slight cloudy/murky light orange in color, strings of carbonation rise to the top, a thin, active head. Has a very odd, but receptive nose of salt, coriander, and some outdoor type freshness. Massive twang in the palate, sharp wheaty and malt offerings up front. Lemon zestiness, similar to hefe's, but more crisp and flavorful. Maintains a decent medium body, coriander and some metallic tastings. Stays the same, even as it warms to room temp and beyond, finish is slightly tarty, crisp and creamy, what a superb brew, oh so easy to quaff, and oh so tasty. Here's to you, here's to me, go get the Gose!

09-05-2004 03:04:04 | More by GeoffRizzo
rousee

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

I could be wrong but this makes me think East Germany. It pours a slightly murky tan khaki color. Apricot peachfuzz-like tint too which leaves very little head and is 1mm within seconds.

Smell is extremely dry, grainy, mustardy, and ocean-like. Very curious and unusual.
Taste is as described on the label : nice german golden beer with salt and coriander. I have been to many a brewpub with beers that have flavors added like salt and coriander and they would ALL be well served to learn from these guys. Very little lace and a nice dry,salty finish. I saw this brewery makes at least one other beer. I woul bet my arm that it is also excellent.

The mouthfeel is also extremely unusual and great. Salty puckerish feeling with a pleasant numbness. Fabulous!!

Drinkability is not applicable. This is a 1-2 beer max and it isn't attempting to be anything else.

Edit: I found out that it is from E. Germany after my guess. There must be a ton of beers from East Germany that are excellent but very difficult to obtain ( in the US) even to this day.

09-03-2004 03:42:41 | More by rousee
bditty187

Nebraska

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Clear, coppery-gold in hue, there is a steady stream of bubbles racing towards the white head. In a variation of a Pilsner glass the head reached an apex of two very bubbly fingers. The head retention was very good, it took awhile before it started to fade, it still had good height and a tight cap lasted the entire consumption. While the color is “ordinary,” the big & rocky head makes this a lovely looking beer. Subsequent lacing was patchy. The nose is airy but not empty. The main fragrance, while lacking in potency, is obviously spicy-salty with a sharp earthy twang at the back. Lemony notes too, some brief hints of metal. The nose doesn’t say much beyond this; however while I can’t describe the smell it does trigger my mind to think “hops.” Even though the potency is lacking, the constant, repeated whisper is unique. The bouquet is more intriguing than inviting. Regardless, it is drinking time. The palate is amazingly refreshing. It took about four sips before I anointed this the most refreshing beer I have ever had. Move over Dortmunder, Hefeweizen, or Pale Ale… Gose has won my heart! The flavors are crisp and to the point, only the earthiness is wide and found throughout. Upfront is a mild blast of salty-spice and lemony flavors. In the middle was a sweet-saltiness that made my mouth water. Interestingly by the finish the beer turned dry. While this beer is largely clean there is an odd but enduring aftertaste, it is sweet & earthy but salty & tart all mixed in one sensation. I’m impressed. I can easily see why some would not enjoy this beer; it strikes some very unique cords. They just happen to the correct notes with me. The relatively lively carbonation works perfectly with the flavor profile. Not to mention the low abv. The mouthfeel is very pleasant. Medium/medium-light in body but it is perfect for this beer. It is easy to drink, I could session with this beer, effortlessly. I found it quirky and fun, of course finding more bottles might be a chore. I bought my sample in Burnsville, MN for $4.19. I really dug it, and I can’t imagine how wonderful this would be fresh! Recommended.

08-23-2004 21:52:45 | More by bditty187
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Pours a nice hazy golden color with deep hues of dark amber colors throughout. A firm white head about an inch high forms and laces the glass quiet nicely. Aromas are a bit spicy, with a slight coriander and peppery notes, but then move to more wheaty lemony citrus like aromas. Smells pretty damn good. Initially this beer hits up front with a nice wheaty like flavor that quickly moves towards a more citrus lemony flavor. In the middle there is a dry briney sort of flavor with just the slightest hint of salt, which just tingles on the tongue because of the delightful carbonation. There a nice yeastie like flavor that also makes its way into the mix. This beer finishes sweet and zesty, with a nice crisp carbonation and just a bit of spice, that leaves the tongue just wondering "what the hell happened here" of course in a good way that is. This beer is delitefully light bodied with a zesty sort of carbonation that just feels great on the pallate. Overall this beer and its style is fantastic and a nice change of pace from some of the other beers I've been trying lately.

08-12-2004 03:38:33 | More by bigbeerdrinka
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a clear copper color, it is well carbonated which supports a tan head. The aroma is of grain-wheat with notes of lemon and some light spice notes. To me this has a clean appetizing aroma. The beer is sweet up front with a lightly sour finish. The sourness seems to be both a combination of the wheat used and the yeast/ bugs used, though it is quite light and in almost not there when compared to some of the other sour beers of the world. This beer is light and refreshing, a perfect beer for this hot July night. There almost seems to be a smoky note in the finish, perhaps this is all that is left of the coriander. The beer itself is non-descriptly spicy. I have a feeling that this light beer is showing its age a bit, while still quite enjoyable, it was not as pronounced in its uniqueness as the brewing process would suggest.

08-02-2004 17:57:24 | More by Gueuzedude
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

Nice. Quite salty, spicy and citric. Some cloves. Lightly tart and acidic. Mouthcovering palate, while not being to heavy, left me wanting more after every sip. NIce dry, light, yet palate covering, everything seemed to be in its right place. Cool bottle too. Great beer. Thanks Per.

08-02-2004 11:14:51 | More by rastaman