Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)

From notes. The brew poured a dirty straw color with a 1.5 finger head that stuck around very well. The nose was slight lemoney tart with a bit of graineyness in there that was slightly offensive to me. The flavor was better than the nose. Grainey, slightly orangey and raisiney with a salty finish after swallowing the brew. Better than the nose told me. The feel was moderate with a moderate carbonation. I like the saltyness on the finish. Very unique twist to a brew. Overall, I think I will have to visit this one again. I have a second bottle that will definately help make my mind up. I didn't find this to be anything overly special, but something inside me says that it should be.

Editing. I'm chosing to edit the review as opposed to add a new one as I don't think the first bottle was as ok as it could be.

Nice 3 finger head that falls slowly to a very healthy coat. Hazy orange color. Nose is pretty nice. A lot going on in there. I get lemon-spritzed banans most prevalent. The flavor is still not as impressive as I would hope. I get a saltyness initially, moving to a grainey flavor, but not harsh, and finishing a light fig or raisin. The feel is a solid moderate with a moderate carbonation. Drinkability is a little better than I gave it before. It is a well rounded beer. I'd get it when looking for something different. Bumping it to a solid 4 all around

kmpitz2, May 08, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This gem appeared on the shelves of Moscow's premiere supermarket when I was there the other day. 750 ml bottle with resealable pop-top and a long tall neck that makes the whole thing as tall as a wine bottle, with an oval shaped body that looks like a decanter. The happy German is still on the label. Salt and coriander are listed as ingredients (presumably dodging the purity law by calling the product a beer-specialty, rather than a beer). Best before 3/29/06, I opened it on 5/1/05 - Happy May Day.

Pours a hazy pale gold under a thick one finger white head that has lots of body but doesn't stay very long. A few spots and strings of lace cling to the glass. Distinct spicey nose, with the coriander mixing pleasantly with the citrus of a usual German weizen. The mouth is highly carbonated and fairly light. There is a definite tanginess here, like a weizen, but somehow sweeter. The coriander is not overpowering, but is definitely present. There is a slight saltiness in the finish, rather like mild perspiration. The sweet fruitiness is a touch like lemonade, or perhaps a Berliner Weisse. Certainly an interesting brew, although I can't say I would want more than one glass under most circumstances.

Globetrotter, May 01, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

ahhhh the mysterious style of Gose...

I feel fortunate to say that there are about 3 stores within ten minutes of me that carry this on a regular basis (let me rephrase...it is probably never restocked since its first shipment). The bottle has a jovial german man who seems to be happy about something. This poured out a hazy straw color with a nice sticky head forming right away. There was a good amount of spontaneous carbonation running all through the glass. The aroma was delicate and floral doughy presence. Small traces of spices popped through as well. The taste is definately different than anything I have had before. I would't say it is an unfamiliar taste in the sense of other Wiezen styles, but the saltiness is an unfamiliar touch. Apparently the use of salt in this style of beer traces back to some real old-school brewing practices that are not so common anymore. The salt aspect is not what I was expecting. It is much more subtle than table salt, but it lingers enough to know it is major piece of this brew. The salt and corriander leave my mouth very dry, but refeshed. I can say that this not a style of beer that I am crazy about, but it is a very unique beer that I feel honored to have tried. This is true old-school German brewing.

ALESwhatCURESya, Apr 30, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

A really unique beer, which always scores points in my book. Pours a light yellow orange amber color with a poofy white head. Smells spicy and dusty. Those scents are even more pronounced in the taste, which is pretty complex. Nice herbal hop taste with lots of complex spicy backgrounds. The use of corriander and salt is definately apparent, and in my opinion pretty interesting. This beer also has a pretty apparent funky taste as found in Belgian styles, a good surprise I wasn't expecting. Really nice and smooth mouthfeel makes this beer particularly refreshing and a pleasure to drink. If you want something out of the ordinary go pick up a bottle of this stuff. The dude on the front of the bottle looks like he's having a blast.

twelvsies, Apr 03, 2005
3.9/5  rDev 0%

1 pint .9 fl oz served in a pilsner glass

A-crystal clear orange golden color with a big billowy off-white head and lots of strong carbonation

S- bready aroma with hits of honey and coriander and pils malt. Some very faint plastic or chemical hints.

T- sweet light maltyness with a spicy clove aftertaste with a hint of banana/wheat. A slight saltwater taste hangs in the back of my throat, but it is more pleasant that painful. No hop presents in any part of the tasting.

M- Thick mouth with light carbonated mouthfeel

D- This is a very unique smooth beer. It has a good pale malt taste with a nice spicy finish. Very nice for a summer quafting beer. Nothing to shock the tastebuds but a good solid beer.

rhoadsrage, Feb 25, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -36.4%

Very cloudy amber, nice color. Gentle 1cm white head, no carbonation apparent. Wild aroma, salty hops with a little matchstick, faint malt and lemony hints. A bit empty body-wise, it tastes rather meaty, vegetal, mineral, all over a tart background a bit like sour bread and rhubarb. Sour and Salty ain’t no friends. Light body, light carbonation. Bleh, hopefully the other gose defends this style better, because this one is one of those select few that deserves twice more points for the appearance than taste.

Rastacouere, Jan 12, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Murky pumpkin with a fat round eggshell head.
Nose of cilantro and rust with a backing from lemon rind.
Begins with wavering peach muffin doughiness. Dries as it goes towards lemon rind. Herbal towards the middle with loads of leafy cilantro. Weizen traits later, before a sense of rusty tin and iron arrise, then the salt appears with a lightly acrid bitterness. Rounds out with a continuation from the bitter herbs and lip-lickingly dry from the salt.
A lightness of body and a fully-fluffed creaminess ease this rapidly through the tubes.
This is a beautiful thing.

cokes, Jan 05, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

.5 liter bottle. Pours a hazy yellowish brown color. The large foamy head lasts a long time, and there are nice clumps of lace on the side of my .5 liter weissbier glass. The aroma is fruit (lemon and apple), yeast, spices, and a little funk. The flavor is fruity, much like tart apples. There is a malty wheat flavor, and little hop flavor or bitterness. The balance comes from the salt. There is a coriandor flavor, but it is not as strong as in many spiced Belgian beers. Very crisp and refreshing. This beer tasted weird to me at first, but the more I drank, the more I loved it. I could drink this stuff all the time.

beveragecaptain, Dec 20, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +17.9%

Half-liter bottle, in a weizen glass. I wish I had a gose glass, but without one, one of my many weizen glasses will work.

Appearance: Light orange-amber appearance, very turbid and cloudy. Small head.

Aroma: Witbier-like: coriander and wheat aroma.

Flavor/Body: Good deal of wheat flavor, and weizen-like clovey phenols rise up after a moment. Some fruitiness, but not identifiable as to what fruit. Finish is acidic, and salt is lightly detectable. Body is medium-light, leading to a very quaffable beer.

This is only the 2nd bottle I've had of this very distinctive beer (bought off the internet, as it's not distributed here). The first time, a couple years back, I thought I tasted the salt a lot more than I do now. I think this would be a perfect beer with some semi-soft cheeses (like Chimay's wonderful cheeses).

allengarvin, Nov 04, 2004
3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a slightly hazy amber-gold, topped with a huge four finger marshmallowy white head. Leaves rings of lacing with interconnecting webs.
Coriander strong in the aroma, and the salt is stronger than I thought it would be - more of a kosher or sea salt type than a table salt, flowers, a bit grainy, wheat and a touch of citrus.
Spicy and fruity taste, bread and dried apricots. Salty "briny" aftertaste.
Light-medium bodied, I was a bit at a loss as I had no experience to compare this one against.

mschofield, Sep 20, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Slight cloudy/murky light orange in color, strings of carbonation rise to the top, a thin, active head. Has a very odd, but receptive nose of salt, coriander, and some outdoor type freshness. Massive twang in the palate, sharp wheaty and malt offerings up front. Lemon zestiness, similar to hefe's, but more crisp and flavorful. Maintains a decent medium body, coriander and some metallic tastings. Stays the same, even as it warms to room temp and beyond, finish is slightly tarty, crisp and creamy, what a superb brew, oh so easy to quaff, and oh so tasty. Here's to you, here's to me, go get the Gose!

GeoffRizzo, Sep 05, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

I could be wrong but this makes me think East Germany. It pours a slightly murky tan khaki color. Apricot peachfuzz-like tint too which leaves very little head and is 1mm within seconds.

Smell is extremely dry, grainy, mustardy, and ocean-like. Very curious and unusual.
Taste is as described on the label : nice german golden beer with salt and coriander. I have been to many a brewpub with beers that have flavors added like salt and coriander and they would ALL be well served to learn from these guys. Very little lace and a nice dry,salty finish. I saw this brewery makes at least one other beer. I woul bet my arm that it is also excellent.

The mouthfeel is also extremely unusual and great. Salty puckerish feeling with a pleasant numbness. Fabulous!!

Drinkability is not applicable. This is a 1-2 beer max and it isn't attempting to be anything else.

Edit: I found out that it is from E. Germany after my guess. There must be a ton of beers from East Germany that are excellent but very difficult to obtain ( in the US) even to this day.

rousee, Sep 03, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Clear, coppery-gold in hue, there is a steady stream of bubbles racing towards the white head. In a variation of a Pilsner glass the head reached an apex of two very bubbly fingers. The head retention was very good, it took awhile before it started to fade, it still had good height and a tight cap lasted the entire consumption. While the color is “ordinary,” the big & rocky head makes this a lovely looking beer. Subsequent lacing was patchy. The nose is airy but not empty. The main fragrance, while lacking in potency, is obviously spicy-salty with a sharp earthy twang at the back. Lemony notes too, some brief hints of metal. The nose doesn’t say much beyond this; however while I can’t describe the smell it does trigger my mind to think “hops.” Even though the potency is lacking, the constant, repeated whisper is unique. The bouquet is more intriguing than inviting. Regardless, it is drinking time. The palate is amazingly refreshing. It took about four sips before I anointed this the most refreshing beer I have ever had. Move over Dortmunder, Hefeweizen, or Pale Ale… Gose has won my heart! The flavors are crisp and to the point, only the earthiness is wide and found throughout. Upfront is a mild blast of salty-spice and lemony flavors. In the middle was a sweet-saltiness that made my mouth water. Interestingly by the finish the beer turned dry. While this beer is largely clean there is an odd but enduring aftertaste, it is sweet & earthy but salty & tart all mixed in one sensation. I’m impressed. I can easily see why some would not enjoy this beer; it strikes some very unique cords. They just happen to the correct notes with me. The relatively lively carbonation works perfectly with the flavor profile. Not to mention the low abv. The mouthfeel is very pleasant. Medium/medium-light in body but it is perfect for this beer. It is easy to drink, I could session with this beer, effortlessly. I found it quirky and fun, of course finding more bottles might be a chore. I bought my sample in Burnsville, MN for $4.19. I really dug it, and I can’t imagine how wonderful this would be fresh! Recommended.

bditty187, Aug 23, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +11%

Pours a nice hazy golden color with deep hues of dark amber colors throughout. A firm white head about an inch high forms and laces the glass quiet nicely. Aromas are a bit spicy, with a slight coriander and peppery notes, but then move to more wheaty lemony citrus like aromas. Smells pretty damn good. Initially this beer hits up front with a nice wheaty like flavor that quickly moves towards a more citrus lemony flavor. In the middle there is a dry briney sort of flavor with just the slightest hint of salt, which just tingles on the tongue because of the delightful carbonation. There a nice yeastie like flavor that also makes its way into the mix. This beer finishes sweet and zesty, with a nice crisp carbonation and just a bit of spice, that leaves the tongue just wondering "what the hell happened here" of course in a good way that is. This beer is delitefully light bodied with a zesty sort of carbonation that just feels great on the pallate. Overall this beer and its style is fantastic and a nice change of pace from some of the other beers I've been trying lately.

bigbeerdrinka, Aug 12, 2004
3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a clear copper color, it is well carbonated which supports a tan head. The aroma is of grain-wheat with notes of lemon and some light spice notes. To me this has a clean appetizing aroma. The beer is sweet up front with a lightly sour finish. The sourness seems to be both a combination of the wheat used and the yeast/ bugs used, though it is quite light and in almost not there when compared to some of the other sour beers of the world. This beer is light and refreshing, a perfect beer for this hot July night. There almost seems to be a smoky note in the finish, perhaps this is all that is left of the coriander. The beer itself is non-descriptly spicy. I have a feeling that this light beer is showing its age a bit, while still quite enjoyable, it was not as pronounced in its uniqueness as the brewing process would suggest.

Gueuzedude, Aug 02, 2004

Nice. Quite salty, spicy and citric. Some cloves. Lightly tart and acidic. Mouthcovering palate, while not being to heavy, left me wanting more after every sip. NIce dry, light, yet palate covering, everything seemed to be in its right place. Cool bottle too. Great beer. Thanks Per.

rastaman, Aug 02, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

I'll be honest, I was a little scared about the salt part of this beer, but this was pretty good. Poured out a dark orange/golden color with a nice amount of carbonation in this beer. A good quarter inch stays with you the entire time. Smell consisted of coriander mostly, but cloves and soft fruit was in there as well which mellowed out the sharp coriander. Taste was half witte/half hefe. The cloves and coriander blend in together and the banana flavors balance it out, and then the salt hits in the aftertaste, but it's quite pleasent. It finishes wet in a way, but the salt makes you want to drink more and more, which I was amazed on how it did that to me. So Gose it is, pick some of this stuff up. A good shake up for the summer months instead of all those witte's and hefe's.

necoadam, Jul 26, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

I had this beer on tap at Redbones but I am actually reviewing the bottled version. Hazy orange-yellow in color with a big fluffy white head. In the smell, I do pick up the saltyness and coriandor. Also some yeasty notes. After the first sip, there isn't as much flavor as I expected. Very dry and refreshing with more of the coriandor coming through. I also pick up some citrus and floral notes. Not as "spicy" as I expected but very well balanced. A great summer time refreshing beer.

Doesn't this beer break some kind of purity law or something?

CharlesRiver, Jul 24, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Liepzig's ghost beer coming back from the dead is probably more interesting than the beer itself, although it's subtle tartness and dryness from the addition of salt do give it a really unique, refreshing quality. It pours easily enough, giving rise to a full head of thin, creamy white lace that holds exceptionally well and leaves thick, long-lasting rings of lace about the glass. Very fine, effervescent bubbles can be seen rising quickly to the surface, and it basically resembles any well-made hefe-weizen. Coriander is evident in the nose along with a touch of weizen-type yeast characteristic (apple and subtle phenolics). In the mouth it's tiny bubbles lend a gentle caresses as its light body passes smoothly away with a delicate creaminess. Wheat malt appears first on the palate, followed by some dark fruitiness (similar to that of a hefe-weizen, but there's no banana except for a very soft note in the aftertaste) and a splash of tartness; followed by a mild coriander flavor and some herbal hops at the swallow. Seemingly out of nowhere, salt springs forth... drying, tangy?, and oddly refreshing!!! It's not as bold in flavor as a traditional Bavarian hefe-weizen, but it's unique characteristics, less-sweet flavor, and slightly lower alcohol may give it a bit more drinkability. If you like hefe-weizens and tart (or lightly tart) beers, then this is a must try!

NeroFiddled, Jul 19, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +9.7%

From a bottle bought at Thrifty/American, Brooklyn. Orange-brown and very cloudy, the aroma is faintly spicy with a whiff of ocean air. Flavour is an interesting mix of malt, spice (coriander) with an underlying saltiness. Salt comes through a bit more prominently towards the finish, but it doesn't overwhelm the beer.

Unusual and very enjoyable; a beer to do interesting food pairing experiments with.

Imbiber, Jul 19, 2004

Looks like homeade ginger beer with its refreshing, hazy, caramel orange color. The beer pours a nice, sponge like, off white head that starts a t two fingers and retreats to a solid one, throughout. The aromas are of (who'd a thunk it) spicy corriander and sea salt. This begs for a hot pretzel with mustard. The beer is medium bodied and creamy in the mouth. A very refreshing drink that shows best quite cold. An intriguing element of savory from the salt adds local color to the beer. Perhaps the salt is so you keep on drinking? Brilliant glass of suds.

moulefrite, Jul 15, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

7-01-04
The beer poured a hazy pale golden color with a slight rose and a small compact white and well lasting head.

The aroma was coriander and clove with an earthiness.

The flavor was only slightly metallic with a saltiness and understated spiciness.

The finish is dry with just a slight coriander flavor lasting into the aftertaste. The body is medium.

I've given this particular beer a fair shake and just cannot see what all the fuss is about. My first bottle must have been a slight bit off, so I am rating this second one and the scores represented are for it and not the first bottle. Still nothing to write home about. Perhaps the other example of the style is much better.

16.9 ounce bottle purchased at Asheville Wine Market for $2.99.

12-24-03 - 3.3 overall score...
(4.5, 4.0, 2.5, 3.5, and 2.5 respectively)
Beer poured a golden rose color with a large persistent off white head. The aroma is coriander, clove, and slight cinnamon. The flavor is metallic and lasting. The beer is definitely wheat with winey metallic flavors and a finish of metal. The body is medium-full.

Exact same bottle as in the picture. The bottle says brewed with coriander and salt.

GCBrewingCo, Jul 01, 2004

Half liter brown bottle, no dates.

Rusty orange colour. Chill haze is evident during the pour, becomes quite cloudy & opaque once the sediment hits the glass. Thin tight white cap of foam.

Coriander leaps right out, along with some lemony aromas.

Delicate lemony citrus notes are followed by a strong spicy coriander flavour. This is balanced by a pleasant sour twang that lingers on the tongue. Hard, mineral driven finish. Light bodied, moderate carbonation. Very unique & interesting.

xgrigorix, Jun 17, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

The beer came is a 0.5 liter brown bottle with label that looked like a blast from the past. The beer, when poured into an imperial pint glass, displayed extremely fizzy carbonation and a body that was yellow with a cloud of brown yeast that would not let any light pass through. I guess if a Hefeweizen is cloudy, this one is like an oncoming storm. The aroma was sweet and malty with some lambic like funkiness thrown in. The taste is very light with the yeast tasting very spicy with orange peel and clove that overpowered most other flavors except a note of sourness that reminded me of a lambic once again. I could not really detect much coriander, but the salt was evident in the way the beer dried up my mouth after each sip. This is a very unique taste that is somewhat of a cross between a witbier and a lambic. The downfall of this beer is a watered down empty mouthfeel, which is a bit odd considering the body is not very lightweight. I picked up mine at Green’s on Cheshire Bridge Road. In my opinion worth a try, as there is nothing else quite like it.

rajendra82, Jun 12, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: Light tan, golden with nice retentive white head.

Aroma: Yeasty breadlike smell is formost in the aroma. Not too much depth in the smell.

Taste: Hints of sour. Light spicing evident in the middle of the tongue. Finish is mostly plain. Bland finish. Mouthfeel somewhat light.

Notes: Not too exciting. Would be nice on a warm day. Theres just not much depth, and the mouthfeel is slightly lacking.

beerinator, Jun 11, 2004