Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

The beer came is a 0.5 liter brown bottle with label that looked like a blast from the past. The beer, when poured into an imperial pint glass, displayed extremely fizzy carbonation and a body that was yellow with a cloud of brown yeast that would not let any light pass through. I guess if a Hefeweizen is cloudy, this one is like an oncoming storm. The aroma was sweet and malty with some lambic like funkiness thrown in. The taste is very light with the yeast tasting very spicy with orange peel and clove that overpowered most other flavors except a note of sourness that reminded me of a lambic once again. I could not really detect much coriander, but the salt was evident in the way the beer dried up my mouth after each sip. This is a very unique taste that is somewhat of a cross between a witbier and a lambic. The downfall of this beer is a watered down empty mouthfeel, which is a bit odd considering the body is not very lightweight. I picked up mine at Green’s on Cheshire Bridge Road. In my opinion worth a try, as there is nothing else quite like it.

rajendra82, Jun 12, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: Light tan, golden with nice retentive white head.

Aroma: Yeasty breadlike smell is formost in the aroma. Not too much depth in the smell.

Taste: Hints of sour. Light spicing evident in the middle of the tongue. Finish is mostly plain. Bland finish. Mouthfeel somewhat light.

Notes: Not too exciting. Would be nice on a warm day. Theres just not much depth, and the mouthfeel is slightly lacking.

beerinator, Jun 11, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Hazed deep golden appearance. Orange luminates from the beer as well. The one finger off-white head has good retention. Lace is droopy, but decent enough. Aroma's nice. Spicy and herbal. Earthy. Malty. The taste is interesting. Very earthy. Like dirt to an extent. Has a bit of a farmyard presence to it. Malts are sturdy enough. Hops add just a little bitterness. Rock salt is sprinkled on top. The carbonation is a little high. And the body is about medium or a little better. Interesting brew. My first Gose. Not one I'd need to return to anytime soon though.

Bighuge, May 25, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Served from a bottle that appears identical to the picture here. Pours a mostly clear, burnt orange body, with active carbonation evincing a mass rush of tiny bubbles to the surface. Two finger, ivory head has lots of perserverence, and leaves considerable patches of lace down the glass.

Aroma is malty, spicy, and reveals a note of ocean seawater.

Mouthfeel borders on exceptional. Spritzy carbonation and a light body are highlighted by a clean, ocean saltwater zing.

Taste is, surprisingly, subdued. There is a tingly character all the way down, from the mild spiciness and clean, ocean saltwater background. The coriander is difficult to identify, but a mild spiciness is evident throughout. Solid malt backbone keeps everything in check. None of the flavors jump up and overwhelm the palate. This is just a new and interesting style(for me) that is very quaffable, and pleasant.

Excellent drinkability. I'm surprised that this style is not more common. Clean and light bodied enough to drink several of these in a sitting, if on an unlimited budget.

merlin48, May 21, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours with a two-finger head that goes slowly and leaves some lace. Medium bodied. Light carbonation. Hazy amber color. Nose is not distinguishable. Starts on the yeasty side, finishes with some tartness, reminds me of a wheat. $3.75 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.
Update: 1-12-2007 - $13.99 for 750ml bottle from Tulley's Beer and wine Wells, Me.

jdhilt, May 16, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

It pours a rather clear light amber. Several fingers of dense white head flare, then settle slowly into a lumpy pillow of foam. Drippy blankets of lacing texture the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, the earthiness of grain is almost instantly outdone by an astringent, yeasty sourness. A rounded and indistinct spice character carries along a mild toasted grain note to the finish.

Upon sipping, an understated grain sweetness juts its chin, then draws it back in to allow an almost lemony tartness to pucker the inside of the cheeks. Drifting into the middle is a baked dough essence reminiscent of, yes, I'll say it...hard pretzels. Blended spice notes, dominated by coriander, wrap around each other at the finish. Overall, the tart flavor signature makes you sit up and take notice in a good way.

A touch shy of medium bodied, the savory elements lay pleasingly on the palate and linger after the liquid has drained away.

Nothing here really leaps out, but there are nuamnces enough to keep your interest. Each element carries a pleasant signature, and they merge nicely into a balance that yields a unique result. If it suits your tastes, with its spicy identity, then it's quite drinkable, and I found it just so. A year ago I'd likely have turned up my nose at this, but my preferences have shifted to the point where I find this something I can truly enjoy. It makes me wonder what new and wonderful changes another year will bring.

Foxman, Apr 27, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a darkish yellow with a huge fluffy head. The head looks like a science experiment gone awry. Smell was hefe with a twist. I got apples, bananas, orange, spice, and ocean air. The taste was also unexpectedly good.. It was like a normal wheat beer with added components. The spices were notable and made the beer have a wit like edge to it. However the salt was what added the most. It added a briney dry finish. It was almost like adding beer to your mouth while eating a nice salty oyster. It was refreshing and drying at the same time. Mouthfeel was nice. went down smooth as silk.. One could drink a lot of these, if not for the salt.. After a couple I did find the salt was not making my tummy too happy. and later I did feel a bit parched.. But that is a small price to pay for a tasty brew. Much better than the other Gose I have had.

TinusTime, Apr 15, 2004
3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange, slightly darker than your standard hefeweizen. Puts out a huge, rocky, off-white head that takes its time to retire.

Smell: Cloves, coriander, pear, malt. Smells a lot like my first batch of homebrew.

Taste: Interesting. This beer has very little actual flavor. The flavor certainly isn't as complex as the aroma. The beginning is faintly tart and citrusy, but much less so than a hefeweizen. Since adding salt to beer is a tradition in certain spots of Louisiana, I'm familiar with the flavor of salted beer, and this beer has that flavor. I can't really taste the coriander, nor do I taste anything in the way of malt or hops. And it has absolutely no finish whatsoever. It reminds me of nothing so much as Michelob Dry.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is weak. I feel like I'm drinking water. There's simply no body here to speak of.

Drinkability: It's certainly a chuggable beer. I'll give it that.

Afterburner, Apr 14, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours to a hazy copper-orange color with a foamy white head. The aroma is spicy, that of coriander and wheat. It smells a lot like a Belgian Wit. The flavor is dry throughout, with a bit of coriander and wheat. I get just a faint salty taste in it. It is a decent light-bodied brew. A very interesting brew.

Sampled 12/31/03

BeerBuilder, Apr 01, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a light golden color with a great fluffy head that left some light lacing,aroma is of lemons with a hint of mineral.Taste is light and refreshing pretty acidic with that saltiness showing thru in the finish and aftertaste wich was more pronounced than what I thought it would be.A great easy drinker I think would be great on a hot summer day here in Carolina.

oberon, Mar 30, 2004
3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Gose, eh? This should be interesting...

Poured an attractive light amber color with lots of carbonation and a foamy, pitted, pristine white head. The aroma has hints of yeast breadiness, but not much else. The taste is very light and refreshing, with hints of yeast and coriander here and there and a faint salinity around the edges. The mouthfeel is mineral water-like, but not in a bad way.

Drinking this gose is much more an experience about mouthfeel and refreshment than taste, and on that simple level, it's an enjoyable brew, perhaps one of the best beers for a hot summer day. I could drink a ton of these, but I think my tastebuds would get bored.

RockyTopHeel, Mar 26, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

As far as I know this is the only commercial example of Gose available in the US and it is the only one that I have ever tried. With that said, I wish there were more. I would like to see other brewer's versions. It has a slight hazy copper color with a large head. The aroma is delicate and subtle with aromas of citrus and spice. The body is smooth and thin. There are tastes of orange and it reminds me of pretzels from the use of the salt. There is a slight sourness in the refreshing finish. Bring on more Gose!

ark57, Mar 17, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Gasthaus Gose: From a half liter bottle. Pours as an extremely carbonated, almost Champagne type of head. Tall head dissipates very quickly into large bubbles, and disappears very quickly.

The color is a deep tan, very hazy, although I did swirl up the yeast from the bottom of the bottle. The aroma is mild, with hint of cloves, bananas, and a little something else that I can’t put my finger on.

The taste is nice, much like a typical Weiss beer (a mild banana taste from the yeast), but a tiny bit different, a little dry, virtually no aftertaste whatsoever, just a bit of residual sweetness. This is no doubt due to the salt in this brew. Very nice, light, extremely easy to drink. A great summer brew.

jackndan, Mar 12, 2004
4.25/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to chaduvel for slogging this out to UT for me. Pours a hazy mandarin copper color with a big, fluffy, creamy, slightly off white head. Nice. Smell is light orange with some tangy wheat notes, coriander, and yeast. Taste is smooth wheat malt up front that quickly gets tangy/sour, and accented with coriander. Picking up lemon notes, and there seems to be a unique, salty character to it all. Very interesting. Finish is wheat bitter with lingering coriander and some banana-y esters. This beer has a big mouthfeel for its strength, and gets better as it warms. Glad I got to try this!

alexgash, Mar 03, 2004
3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance – Deep, dark hazy orange-brown in color with some serious sediment and carbonation. The head looked like a big fluffy weizen head, leaving mounds of shaving-cream foam all over the inside of my Weihenstephan glass.

Smell – There’s a beautiful deep yeast aroma here that reminds me (again) of a fine Hefe Weizen. The coriander promised on the bottle label comes out nicely as well.

Taste – I hate to repeat myself, but this tastes like a spicy weizen with maybe a hint of tartness of some kind. The salt comes on strong at the tongue, making this a very unique brew.

Mouthfeel – This one was full and fluffy with some quality carbonation and a pillowy consistency.

Drinkability – I thought the salt was a little overpowering, although I guess it is typical of the style.

RoyalT, Feb 14, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a hazy copper with a lacy off-white head. Smell is spicy and lightly salty and sweet wheat malt.

Taste is grainy wheat with underlying spice. Saltiness doesn't come through until later, it's cumulative. The more you drink, the more saltiness on the palate. While the beer is smooth and creamy in the mouth, the saltiness builds and makes this brew less than drinkable, at least more than one bottle at a time. But a unique experience that I would recommend and I will indulge in again.

ViveLaChouffe, Feb 05, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks go out to Pat of (PatandDavid) for providing me with this fine bier while I attended the EBF this past weekend!

My research tells me that this is a wheat bier but brewed with corriander and salt. The salt is definately present, especially after swallowing. The taste is very crisp and similar to some other unfiltered Hefeweizen's. This bier pours nicely and is very enjoyable. A trip to Leipzig would certainly find me searching for one of these fresh local brews.

I would call this a must for anyone who enjoys wheat biers.

John

BierManVA, Jan 19, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

sinec there are only two of this style in the database i figured they're fairly hard to come by, so i snatched one up as soon as i saw it. can't compare it to anything else in the style (again, as there are only two), but this one is different nonetheless. not bad, just different. it pours a cloudy amber colour with a lovely foamy head. so far so good. the smell is quite different. a bit sweet, a bit salty, a bit stale almost. complex but strange. the taste here is also not overly appealing at first, but it is quickly warmed up to and whilst not exceptional, is solid just the same. there's a bit of fruitiness here but it is peppered with salt, if you will. just a very strange style to try to review, in all. i say go try one and be the judge yourself. some will love it, others will hate it. i, on the other hand, fell pretty much in the middle on this one. i'd like to sample the style again to compare, but won't be breaking down any doors to seek it out.

SixpointJMH, Jan 14, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

nice appearance, hazy yellow with a big thick head that had excellent retention and good lacing. There wasn't much of an aroma, somewhat like a fresh bag of potato chips. The taste was dry, kinda salty with a hint of the coriander. The finish was pretty dry. I wasn't too impressed with this beer, thinking the odd ingredients would somehow be more pronounced. If I didn't know better, I'd think this was just an above average macro.

counselor, Jan 11, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Hazy peach with yellow highloghts, large head with amazing retention and stickiness- it forms walls of lace. Big coriander aroma with accompanying orange citrus. Tastes much like a good wit with a bit of hefeweizen and salt. It is pretty dry with peppery spicy hops. Strong phenolics with some banana esters. A definite mineral quality from the salt. Started with tingly high carbonation but ended with a pretty creamy feel. Overall very nice, although the salty dry finish started to annoy me after a while.

So it gose.

waughbrew, Jan 11, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

A bright golden beer with a pure white head .very well carbonated,very lively.
The nose of this one reminds me of a wit with a little salt note added.fairly thin mouthfeel here.
At first taste its sweet with coriander present then it finishes quickly with a dry saltiness.By midway through the glass the saltiness is more forward.
I imagine this beer would go well with food,maybe chips or cheese? An interesting effort but probably not one I would go out of my way to find.

steorn, Jan 02, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Murky pale copper hue. Pitted, frothy vanilla white head leaves spotty, sparse lace. Spicy, sharp clove and herbal coriander dominate the aroma, but are offset by mellow, ripe banana esters. Mild lemony, citric tartness. Slight papery oxidation notes prevent vibrancy. Pronounced clove lends a mild medicinal note upfront. Grainy wheat tartness comprises the dominant malt character, and is accompanied by a parching dryness provided by mild, pure salinity. Simple, breezy banana esters provides token girth. Appropriately lightly bittered due to the paltry residual sweetness. Musty, nutty suspended yeast undertone. Phenol augments as the beer breathes, and approaches rubbery in nature. Well attenuated, with a brisk, thinnish mouthfeel. Finishes with a lingering suggestion of clove studded salted, preserved lemon. A strange brew, with unbalanced elements of a wit and hefeweizen. Maybe I just missed the orange peel, or the overt salinity overshadowed it. Tasty, but rough around the edges. I'd very much like to try more of this obscure style.

marc77, Dec 22, 2003
3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Cloudy light orange color, looks like a hefeweizen, has a huge creamy head that clings to my glass. Aroma is that of a hefeweizen, spicy wheat smell. Taste like wheat and mild spice, I can't really taste coriander yet it is a bit salty. Light bodied with a kind of a watery mouthfeel, finishes a bit sour, very drinkable and not bad, but not sure if I would buy this again.

maxpower, Dec 18, 2003
4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

1pint .9oz. bottle.

I had never had a 'gose' style beer before and thanks to The Long Beach Bum in a trade I now have. I must say right off the top that I enjoyed it.

It poured a hazy burnt amber. A nice white frothy bubbly head. Rows of lace down the glass. The head never left. It shrunk but stuck with the drink. Very nice. The scents are very musty. First musty wet grain. Then there is some deep citrus. Oranges and lemon. The coriander peeks through and the scents add a very dry salt at the end.

Flavors are tangy and fruity. A sweet malt. The coriander appears at its leisure. Some real tangy and citrusy fruit. A dry rind flavor is here. A damp wheat and grain flavor is in the background. Very fruity and spicy. Some mild pepper. At the end the salt becomes prominent. It is very dry and leaves a strong after taste.

The mouthfeel is very inviting. Crisp and dry. Carbonation is felt throughout. A very refreshing beer. It does leave a dry puckering feeling across the mouth. One could drink a few in a session. Also this one would go well on a hot day or with a snack served at room temperature or right out of the refrigerator. Cheese or crackers and hummus. Maybe even some vegetables or cold cuts. A real anytime beer.

Thanks LBB for something different.

Rumrunner, Dec 13, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

feloniousmonk, Dec 10, 2003