Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 888 | Reviews: 462
4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at Churchkey in DC, served in a pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, topped with a finger of creamy white head, awesome retention, leaves spotty lacing.

S- Fruity tartness, some bready light malt, a hint of spice.

T- Tartness is moderate, with a fruity character, blends nicely with a wheaty, bready malt. Mild salt flavor and spice, really interesting.

M- Light-bodied, smooth feel, soft, medium carbonation.

O- I don't have a lot of experience with Goses, but this was a really tasty, interesting beer, I'd happily drink this more regularly.

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%

Had on tap.

Arrived in a pint glass with a hazy yellow body and no head to speak of.

Lots of bread in the aroma along with a distinctive lemon smell. There was also plenty of yeast typical of a hefeweizen aroma; banana and clove.

Flavor really has a lot of cereal grain up front. This is followed by lemon tartness that remind me a lot of a lemon pastry. Salt is quite faint and there is also a little bit of funk. Mouthfeel is average leading to a clean but slightly sticky finish.

Overall, I have been seeking this beer out for awhile but was a little underwhelmed. It is slightly different from a typical wheat beer but not too much so. Worth trying as it is a unique style but I wouldn't go out of my way to find it.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

an interesting article. pours hazy pale yellow with a lazy white head. the nose is heavy on the wheat malt, and the corriander seed is more prominent than the salt. almost herbal, or indian, rather than german. flavor is good, salt is much less than the other gose versions ive had, just subtle in the finish. the corriander and the wheat are the most dominant flavors. its spicy and yeasty and refreshing and drinkable. i dont love it, think it could use a little more body and perhaps even some more hops. an american gose, all hoppy and salty might be an interesting beer. who knows, for now, this is pretty tasty and affordable.

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Happy Sour Beer Day!!

Poured from a crazy flip top with a fat bottom and a long neck, purchased at Bottleworks. As someone else mentioned, makes a great glugging sound when pouring.

Appearance. Pours a nice straw-gold with a little haze and a finger of frothy white head.

Smell. Slightly sour wheat , a little floral, sour apple and grapes. Interesting.

Taste. Light sour green grapes, a little apricot, sweet spice and grass, maybe some citrus ...limes and lemon. There's a little salt, but I probably wouldn't have picked it up if I didn't know the style...

Mouthfeel. Medium-light body, medium carbonation. Nice.

Overall. Not what I was expecting, but very nice. The fruit flavours go well.

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

This beer poured a cloudy golden hue with a thin white head. The head while nice quickly dissipated.

This beer has a very earthy aroma. The hops are pleasant and there seems to be an undertone of salt. Some spice like coriander can be detected as well as some citrus.

The flavor is light with a faint sourness, again there is that citrus similar to the aroma. Tart, pleasing beer berry refreshing taste and easily enjoyed during the summer months. The finish is clean with no real after taste. Highly recommendable beer.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Big gooseneck bottle is crazy, makes a great sound when pouring it.

Golden body with plenty of effervescence. Not much head retention or anything.

Smells dryish but not super dry, kinda like a fruity champagne. Faint funk.

Light and funkily sour. The bitter funk subsides for the finish, which is nice and pretty clean, but a bit corn-y. Refreshing but pretty flavorful.

Very bright, fluffy even.

I've only had a couple examples of gose and this one seems decent (and consistent). By no means would I pay for it again, but the bottle is totally worth the novelty value.

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with 1/2 inch head and no lace. The aroma is lemony with some wheat and hay. The flavor is mainly white grapes with very mild sweet malt and mile hoppiness. It becomes more champagne-like as it warms. It's mouthfeel is light medium and slightly dry. Gasthaus Leipziger Gose is a good beer, similar but not as tart as champagne. Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up this bottle to knock off another style. That brings me down to just three styles left (Kvass, Happoshu, and American Dark Wheat Ale). And, my buddy is sharing the Dark Wheat soon. Now I need to find a way to get the other two impossible to find beers.

My uncles used to add salt to their beer. I don't really understand why you would do that to beer. Then I read about this style made with salt.

This gose looks fine. It hads a golden color and a ring of foam after it settles. The foam isn't very sticky, which is expected based on the style description.

Off the top I get the coriander. It reminds me of a white beer. This is pretty simple, but it reminds me of the style description.

The flavor is very interesting. I get the salt and coriander immediately. I also get a berry flavor. The salt leads to a very sweet flavor. I like how of this works together. The other challenge is in the salty part. It is really strong.

This was an interesting experience. I feel that this will make me better in my beer reviews. I recommend this to grow your pallatte and beer understanding.

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

This beer that is brewed in Germany has an appearance that is light yellowish-orange. There is a bit of carbonation which results in a fine head. While the aroma is of sweet malt there are hints of coriander and lemom. A light, easy drinking beer, it's something different!

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

appearance; cloudy brownish-yellow, thin, spitzy, white head, contantly regenerating. Some slick wavy lacing left behind, slides down the glass, returning from the froth of which it came.

smell; mild pepper, hints or coriander and some sourness with yeast.

taste; mild coriander and lactic sourness like Quark and lemon juice. Strong yeasty aftertase with the slightest bit of salt. Some dry salt is barely noticeable at the start of a sip as well. It's more of a dusty intensified flavor of the other ingredients, not salty but salt helps the other flavors. Coriander mellowed out by spicy yeast dominates the aftertaste.

mouthfeel; very fine, active carbonation. Smooth and sticky swallow.

overall; a very interesting drink not bad at all, like a Witbier and Berliner Weisse blend.

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Picked up a 12oz bottle of this a while back at Julio's. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear dark straw yellow with a fizzy half a finger head that fades to leave a thin white halo.

S - No real hops in this per say, lots of malty sweetness, some cloves, and some salt. Some light lemon like citrus too.

T - Weird, drinks almost like one of those lemon "beers" that are 3.2% from Italy or something like that. Fizzy lemony malty sweet water. The salt, not diggin it. I mean, the flavours arent bad, slightly sour lemons, but ehh.

M - Mouthfeel is nice. Its a bit thin but it is after all 4.6%. Good and refreshing.

O - Overall I wasnt a huge fan of this style. The flavors arent bad its just not my thing. Its is drinkable and not nearly as bad as I thought it would be but I really wont buy it again.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

From a bottle, which the gose was served in a Chimay chalice.

Appearance is light orange with a short white head. This beer that I had been meaning to try for some time has a smell of straw, grain, lemon and green apples. Upon sipping this gose, I taste salt, wheat, acid, citrus, with tartness. Mouthfeel is easy going , a proper carbonation for the style. It really is a great quaffer for a warm day, albeit one that may cause you to pucker your lips.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured into a Uerige stange. Pours a light yellow-orange amber. Fine white two finger head and active carbonation, resultiing in great retention and lacing. Aroma of faint sweet malt, coriander, strong mineral component, slightly sour. Flavor also has a dry, mineral component melded with light wheat, a hint of malt, slightly acidic lemon. Finishes dry with a suggestion of coriander and salt, somewhat sour. All flavors are light, but surprising amount of complexity for the low key taste components. Very light bodied, but nice carbonation. A very interesting, uncommon beer style that I'm glad I finally got to try.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

No freshness dating. The bottle is an 11.2 fl. oz. not the one shown in the picture.

A= The cap pulls a lot of the bottle with it causing some breakage when I open the beer. I sure hope there isn't glass in my beer. The color is a hazy orange with no head and it actually looks uncarbonated...

S= The smell is an odd mix of spices. A little lemon maybe with some corriander. Maybe a tad tart. I wanna say I can sort of smell a salt water taste but it may be placebo.

T= The taste definitally has a salt note to it as well as a tartness and coriander. Very interesting. The finish is very wheaty. Unfortunatly this is totally uncarbonated. Is this suppose to be flat? The impression I get is a sort of flavored salt water.

M= No carbonation....

O= This beer really gets my goat. The bottle broke when I opened it leaving me worried I might be drinking some glass and the beer itself was totally uncarbonated leaving a sort of gross drying mouth to it. THe salt levels kept me interested and the flavor was unique but I'm mad I paid for this. This was my first dabble with this style and it was uncarbonated and potentially glass filled.

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

330 mL bottle, no date.

cloudy pale yellow with brownish hues in color, with bone-white head that fades to nothing. aroma of mild lemon and herbal spice, and pale malt. taste has some wheat, lemon, a bit tart. dry finish, refreshing. body is thin and high carbonation. works though.

overall - my first Gose. nice, thirst quenching.

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a dull dark yellow with almost no head.

The smell is very malty and grainy.

The flavor is malt focused and a touch tart, the salt is there, but a mild. Very grainy flaavor and it a bit plain.

The mouthfeel is light and a touch dry.

A pretty average gose.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

First ever Gose. Pale, hazy yellow body, not much in the way of a head or lacing. Very mild aroma, mostly lemony, with a touch of grainy, cracker malt. Vague peppery spiciness.

Flavor is also pretty mild, but nice, clean, a little tart, quite lemony, with a trace of the coriander and a bit of saltiness at the back of the tongue. Some moderate graininess and a very restrained sweetness.

Thinnish body with good carbonation. Crisp, dry, clean, and refreshing. Not super exciting or flavorful but a nice accompaniment to pizza to be sure. Would love to try more examples of this style but they are sadly quite difficult to find. This one was certainly nothing earthshattering, enjoyable yes, but not as interesting as a good Berliner Weiss.

Nice pale yellow shade with big fluffy white pillow as a head. Laces down nicely but the head doesn't stay as impressive as long as it might. Hazy, but not in a bad way; I'm pretty sure this is what this beer is supposed to look like. Definitely didn't turn me off with its looks by any means. Some great smells on it, lemony citrus (probably the coriander), a bit of bread, some malt and yeast. Good mix of smells that seem totally appropriate for the beer's appearance. Up until the taste point, this could be a couple different kinds of beers, but wow. Very unique flavor, citric, tart, and, yes, salty. I don't think you're supposed to taste the salt in these, but there just is no missing it. Feels very full on the mouth, stays lively with carbonation though. Overall, and absolute delight to drink. As it stands, I would only really want one, but on the other hand, I think I could totally get used to it if it was the beer that was all around my town. If you ever get the chance to try this beer and you haven't had it, I would highly recommend availing yourself of the experience.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

11.2 oz. bottle. Just showed up on the shelf. "fresh"

Mild carbonation. Murky blonde color. White head, tiny bubbles but won't hold. Smells spicy and of yeasty. lightly acidic smelling.

There is kind of a grapefruit-raspberry flavor, most likely coming from the coriander or yeast. - very interesting. Flavors in general are very unique (this is my first Gose). Salt content is surprisingly pleasant. body is medium-thick. Acidic but not tart on the tongue. I so-so like the flavor, but I find it's very refreshing.

Would like to try straight from the source.

4.12/5  rDev +5.6%

From a crazy shaped bottle to Portsmouth glass on 3/10/12
*From notes

A: It looks like a bubbly wheat beer. A bit cloudy and muddled. A good pour yields a minor .25 finger head.

S: Gefilte fish, with loads of salty wheat and whats comes across as seeded rye bread.

T: The salt hits upon contact and adds a refreshing quality to what is a delicious beer. The coriander reveals itself on the mid, and meshes with a German earth-like quality. The finish is a bit bready and grassy.

M: Extremely bubbly and very well put together.

O: What a great find. Leipziger's Gose is splendid drinking and if it wasn't so gosh darn expensive, something I could session night after night. Really, cases of this stuff would stock my fridge in mid-July.

As it stands though, this is a wonderful treat, and a style I hope to have more of sooner rather then later.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this the other night. I believe this is my first of the style. It poured cloudy and pale, golden yellow in color. A thin white head barely covered the top.

In the aroma the wheat malt is definitely present with some sweeter, bready flavors. I get some salt and citrusy spice to it as well. Interesting but pretty refreshing aroma.

The salt is very apparent in the taste giving it a dry, saltiness throughout. I get a citrusy, coriander presence to it as well as more sweeter, wheat malts. Salt gave it a surprisingly refreshing quality when combined with the coriander citrus.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall it was a very interesting and pretty good tasting beer. I thought the saltiness added a interesting and somewhat refreshing component to it. The citrus flavors worked well for it as well. I liked it.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a very clear amber color with 1/8 inch of white head that dissipates to an outer ring of the glass.

Smells of sweet and bready malt notes with a hint of herbal spice.

Very interesting flavor profile... starts off almost like a flanders red; kind of sour, vinegary note that fades into a crisp, clean malty and vaguely bitter finish.

Thin bodied with effervescent carbonation and a drying finish.

This is one easy drinking beer. It begs to be drank quickly the way it finishes on the palate. I wish I had a few more of these to session on the rest of the night.

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Pours a cloudy golden yellow with a really thin white head. Head is gone in a second and no lacing is left behind.

S- Smell is light spices, lemon and grains or straw.

T- Nothing terrible and pretty simple. Follows the nose really well. A bit of a sour hit from the lemon, a touch of light spice and grainy.

M- Light in body with a good amount of carbonation.

O- A good change of pace bier. Something I couldn't drink really often but pretty nice.

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

This is my first gose and it has a very interesting smell right off the bat, its like seriously salty tortilla chips, then wheat and citrus. Color is bright yellow-orange and completely hazy. Flavor has a bit of salt and the back end and mostly wheat crackers up front. Quite the interesting beer but I wouldn't say its tart at all, citrus yes but not tart in the least.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden yellow with a medium white head. Aroma of light sweet fruity esters, some light grassy notes. Taste is a sweet and salted sourness, some yeast with some light fruity notes. Palate is medium body with light carbonation. Finish is a sweet salted sourness with some yeast and light fruity notes. Taste like it was fermented on a bed of sea salt. Surprisingly I was able to finish drinking this brew as the flavor grows on you. Overall an ok and interesting brew.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof