Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

This beer pours a clear, bubbly yellow with 1/2 inch head and no lace. The aroma is lemony with some wheat and hay. The flavor is mainly white grapes with very mild sweet malt and mile hoppiness. It becomes more champagne-like as it warms. It's mouthfeel is light medium and slightly dry. Gasthaus Leipziger Gose is a good beer, similar but not as tart as champagne. Recommended.

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

pint bottle poured into a weizen glass. pours a rusty gold color with three fingers of light tan head that remains for a couple minutes. no lacings.

aroma is lightly malty, with a bit of a sour base, along with a subtle salty feel that is dulled by a light spiced character. a unique mix of flavors, along with a nicely concentrated profile.

taste is thin in profile, with a lightly sour character and a base of salty caramel malts. the taste does not do the aroma justice in richness or breadth of flavors. a very light smoked flavor comes through after finishing, giving the brew a bit of body in the aftertaste.

mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a thin and watery texture and a light bite from the mildly sour character. finishes thin with residual salt and light spice.

drinkability is decent. this is a unique brew, that could use more richness on the palate. the aroma is unique and nicely concentrated, along with a taste that falls short of anything special.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Gasthaus Gose is a amber/yellow color with a modest white head that has little retention. The aroma reminds me of butter. The taste is lemony. I cannot taste the salt, which is odd because I'm on a low salt diet and crave salt. The feel is light bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability is fair: low taste and high price.

As the beer warms, I finally taste the salt, don't think it really adds much to the taste. If this is true to style, the Gose is not my cup of tea.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

My first Gose.

The beer pours a shade lighter than copper. The numerous carbonation bubbles rise to create an egg shell colored head that settles to a quarter inch in depth. Very rocky and foamy in content. No lacing.

Smells strongly of wheat with a slight lemon zest background. The scent comes off as neither faint nor strong, but stands moderate.

The salt is surely evident and cuts through the wheat and hides the lemon character I found pleasing in the nose. The salt and wheat battle for supremacy, but eventually the salt loses out and remains as a lingering aftertaste on the edges of my tongue.

The mouthfeel is light and fairly thin making it more drinkable, but the aforementioned salt taste results in thoughts of drinking beer brine, which I imagine would be displeasing. It is possible that this style simply creates a dissonance with my palate. I'll have to search out another as confirmation or try this again down the road. As a gose novice this is not what I would describe as an enjoyable tasting beer, but its fringe qualities are.

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

this brew pours up a clear gold color with a big white fizzy head. the nose is pretty faint, light fruits, faint malts. the taste is salty, lemons, faint malts, easy drinking and refreshing. light bodied, low carbo. Would make a good sessioner. "I can finally afford a young crazy stripper wife!"

3.08/5  rDev -21%

11.2 oz bottle with no freshness date poured into a wine glass. 4.6% ABV

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow color with 1 finger of a white head that dissipates to a thin wispy coating and collar.

Smell: Bread, wheat, apple and a weird grainy funkiness (not a good funkiness)

Taste: Lightly sweet upfront with an extremely mild sourness. Flavors are lemon, wheat and mild spice. Slight saltiness comes through in the finish and aftertaste. Flavors are really weak.

Mouthfeel: LIght medium bodied and crisp with medium carbonation. No alcohol detectable.

Overall: Pretty disappointed in this one. An odd aroma and weak flavor profile make this one I won't likely revisit.. Maybe this was a bad/old bottle, but without knowing for sure, I'd have to recommend avoiding this one.

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured a dull dark yellow with almost no head.

The smell is very malty and grainy.

The flavor is malt focused and a touch tart, the salt is there, but a mild. Very grainy flaavor and it a bit plain.

The mouthfeel is light and a touch dry.

A pretty average gose.

3.14/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance of this relative rairity is Peachy, with a ¼” head and impressive architecture of vertical-creeping bubbles. Brown blobs of outgoing yeasters are observed. Nice sculptures pre-sip.

Nose is subtle and slight. Reminds me of a helles, actually. Salt, leaning towards oxidization. Soft rainwater. Not catching any coriander.

Taste is dry as the proverbial bone: nearly no sweetness at all. Lightly oxidated flavors. Definite salt, beginning and end. Otherwise seems appropriately German. Too much for my virgin-to-the-style tastebuds, perhaps.

Seems pleasing enough to consume, but not sure I’ll be back.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

A salt beer? Hmm. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small head that has good retention and leaves a small amount of lacing. The aroma is a little sour with something else that gives it a sharp edge. The flavor has a citrus thing going on, but then has a strange salty drying sensation at the end. Light body. I didn't enjoy this one much. Just not my thing.

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Big bubbles rise up through a slightly hazy, apple juicy amber body to form an extremely volatile, airy head.

Smell: Butterscotch, popcorn, light lemony hops. Coriander is exceedingly subtle.

Taste: Very mild and balanced, with a very drying finish (thanks to the salt). Sweet, slightly tangy wheat malts are offset by mild peppery notes (from the coriander) and citric hops. Finish is slightly sweet, corny, and juicy.

Mouthfeel: Light, fizzy, and frothy with a finish that saps the palate of all moisture.

Drinkability: This is interesting, and kind of refreshing in an odd way, but it's not something I'd like to drink every night. Might be an interesting beer to pair with pork or cook bratwurst.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden orange, slightly darker than your standard hefeweizen. Puts out a huge, rocky, off-white head that takes its time to retire.

Smell: Cloves, coriander, pear, malt. Smells a lot like my first batch of homebrew.

Taste: Interesting. This beer has very little actual flavor. The flavor certainly isn't as complex as the aroma. The beginning is faintly tart and citrusy, but much less so than a hefeweizen. Since adding salt to beer is a tradition in certain spots of Louisiana, I'm familiar with the flavor of salted beer, and this beer has that flavor. I can't really taste the coriander, nor do I taste anything in the way of malt or hops. And it has absolutely no finish whatsoever. It reminds me of nothing so much as Michelob Dry.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is weak. I feel like I'm drinking water. There's simply no body here to speak of.

Drinkability: It's certainly a chuggable beer. I'll give it that.

3.23/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First, and only Gose that I’ll have – this was a decent beer but I can’t see sitting down and quaffing several of these critters. Salt beer? Was that a black ring of salt and yeast on the bottle bottom?

Good pour – slight hazy and light copper with a wimpy tan head, which did leave a nice lace ring or two.

Soured bread in the aroma. But the taste – whoo, a menagerie of flavors, doughy and malty, with a hint of orange. But that salt adds a sea bass aspect to the mixture.

Thin and watery body, it has carbonation – but still feels flat. The 4.6% is no problem to drink – almost like a sour British pale ale, but one that has fish swimming in it.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

330 ml bottle. Pours hazy-golden with tall, long lasting, white head. Aroma is of wheat malt, spices and some hops. Body is full and smooth. Wheat malt, salt, spices, funky yeast, some sourness and tartness combine on the palate. Finish is long, salty and tart. Nice refreshing brew.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof