Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 889 | Reviews: 462
4.33/5  rDev +11%

I'll be honest, I was a little scared about the salt part of this beer, but this was pretty good. Poured out a dark orange/golden color with a nice amount of carbonation in this beer. A good quarter inch stays with you the entire time. Smell consisted of coriander mostly, but cloves and soft fruit was in there as well which mellowed out the sharp coriander. Taste was half witte/half hefe. The cloves and coriander blend in together and the banana flavors balance it out, and then the salt hits in the aftertaste, but it's quite pleasent. It finishes wet in a way, but the salt makes you want to drink more and more, which I was amazed on how it did that to me. So Gose it is, pick some of this stuff up. A good shake up for the summer months instead of all those witte's and hefe's.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

The look of this beer is light golden in color, with a wet and greasy feel to the head, a frothy foam that swirls around the tulip shaped glass.

The smell is citrus yeast, and changes through out the tasting.

The first impression is that this is too citrusy, lemonade-like, tart, but there is a wonderful "slide down your throat" mouthfeel.

The saltiness is apparent in the finish, along with a bready-yeasty aftertaste that give the whole tart experience balance.

This is a way under-rated beer that should come in six packs and be sold on every corner.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

A really unique beer, which always scores points in my book. Pours a light yellow orange amber color with a poofy white head. Smells spicy and dusty. Those scents are even more pronounced in the taste, which is pretty complex. Nice herbal hop taste with lots of complex spicy backgrounds. The use of corriander and salt is definately apparent, and in my opinion pretty interesting. This beer also has a pretty apparent funky taste as found in Belgian styles, a good surprise I wasn't expecting. Really nice and smooth mouthfeel makes this beer particularly refreshing and a pleasure to drink. If you want something out of the ordinary go pick up a bottle of this stuff. The dude on the front of the bottle looks like he's having a blast.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Track 84, Warwick RI on the advice of Phil (a customer) and Donna, the tender. My first gose.

A: cloudy orange with a small head that disappeared almost immediately; no lacing

S: definitely fruity; description mentioned coriander, salt and pine needles, but none of those were evident by aroma

T: different than what I usually like. Definitely a wheat beer like taste, with almost a sourness to it. Very easy to drink

M: some carbonating, but not too much. Hit different parts of the tongue.

O: a refreshing pour that I would enjoy during warmer months. Pricey, but worth it over any of the others similar. Glad for the recommendation of a fellow customer.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Thanks go out to Pat of (PatandDavid) for providing me with this fine bier while I attended the EBF this past weekend!

My research tells me that this is a wheat bier but brewed with corriander and salt. The salt is definately present, especially after swallowing. The taste is very crisp and similar to some other unfiltered Hefeweizen's. This bier pours nicely and is very enjoyable. A trip to Leipzig would certainly find me searching for one of these fresh local brews.

I would call this a must for anyone who enjoys wheat biers.

John

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Of all the readily available examples of gose where I live, this is one of my favorites. I have had better ones while in Germany, but I cannot seem to find those here. This is a very typical gose and thus a good starter for those unfamiliar with this complex and challenging style. It may just be me, but I feel that the American Wild Ale sub-style has as much, if not more, in common with a German Gose (and Berliner Weiss, for that matter) as it does with Flemish style red and brown sours.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow amber color, with a large amount of bubbly white foam. The head dies down but a thin solid blanket retains over the surface.

S: Light with sweet fruit notes. A little like a dry cider, but with a touch of light fruity vinous notes reminiscent of prosecco. There's a yeasty undertone to remind you that this is in fact beer.

T: Sweet, light, with nice fruity touches, but quite a nice flavor. It's kind of somewhere in the middle of a pale ale, hefeweizen, and prosecco.

M: Fairly light body, medium carbonation.

Overall I think this beer is great; it's a perfect hot summer day beer. It's light, crisp, refreshing, and low in alcohol, yet flavorful and interesting, albeit in a total different way than a big imperial stout. I wish it was readily available in 6 packs like so many other beers that do a much worse job of trying to fill the same role.

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Drank on tap at Brauhaus Schmitz. Pours a glowing yellow color with small white head, looks like a glass of sunshine and smells of a sweet, citrus lemongrass. Intial taste of slight honey and corriander, then a solid lemon flavor, not too overpowering though. Great summer beer, not too heavy, could drink all day under the hot sun.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Hefe glass head that quickly faded and no lacing. Light golden color, no cloudiness.

Smells slightly sour, acidic, lemony

Taste is refreshing and complex. Some spice up front, definitely pick up on the wheat aspect and then a tart sour finish.

Easy drinking, light body with moderate carbonation.

First time trying this style and I like it. Different and definitely something that would be thirst quenching come summertime.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station with a hearty bowl of chili. Poured into a classic pilsner glass with no flare at the top--straight, tapered sides.

Appearance - Body is a hazy, dirty golden yellow color, reminiscent of maize in hue. Near the top of the body, there is a bit of shadowy area, like the area right beneath a storm cloud. The shadows are generated by a thick, frothy head that reminds me of the topping on a lemon meringue pie, about two-fingers thick. It remains longer than I'm willing to wait to start drinking, and once I have a few sips, it dissipates to a rim of foam and film, with substantial sheets of lacing on the parts of the glass that I didn't drink out of.

Smell - A soft blend of slightly-tart wheat and sourdough, along with a gentle spiciness like coriander and faint flower petals. There is also a faint soapy like aroma that I can only imagine comes from the cilantro. Nothing is overpowering here, and the most predominant note are the grains, along with a bit of raw breadiness from the yeast.

Taste - So refreshing, with notes of watered-down lemon juice and a saltiness that evokes a well-seasoned steak--you don't actually taste the salt, but know it's there by how it amplifies the other natural flavors. It all comes together to compliment the round wheat base. The aftertaste is tart, with just a tiny bit of twinge to tickle the tastebuds that sense sour flavors. I have to say, this is probably one of the better "entry level" sour beers I've had, because it's not so acidic to scare off anyone who is not accustomed to those flavor profiles in their beer, but you get that tart characteristic without the sweetness that often accompanies some other sour styles, like Flanders Oud Bruin or Flanders Red.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and light bodied, with moderate, but gentle carbonation. Aftertaste is clean and just a touch saline.

Overall, I've not had many of the Gose style--this would be my fourth ever, and the first that is from the country where the style originated. I've read that the style in Germany can be extremely sour, almost like a Gueuze, and this one was certainly not that. But I definitely appreciate the subtle complexity that is going on here. I'm of the opinion that this is the best in style (from a style that I've admittedly had limited exposure to). I can see myself buying bottles of this in the future to have in the summer.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The story of Liepzig's ghost beer coming back from the dead is probably more interesting than the beer itself, although it's subtle tartness and dryness from the addition of salt do give it a really unique, refreshing quality. It pours easily enough, giving rise to a full head of thin, creamy white lace that holds exceptionally well and leaves thick, long-lasting rings of lace about the glass. Very fine, effervescent bubbles can be seen rising quickly to the surface, and it basically resembles any well-made hefe-weizen. Coriander is evident in the nose along with a touch of weizen-type yeast characteristic (apple and subtle phenolics). In the mouth it's tiny bubbles lend a gentle caresses as its light body passes smoothly away with a delicate creaminess. Wheat malt appears first on the palate, followed by some dark fruitiness (similar to that of a hefe-weizen, but there's no banana except for a very soft note in the aftertaste) and a splash of tartness; followed by a mild coriander flavor and some herbal hops at the swallow. Seemingly out of nowhere, salt springs forth... drying, tangy?, and oddly refreshing!!! It's not as bold in flavor as a traditional Bavarian hefe-weizen, but it's unique characteristics, less-sweet flavor, and slightly lower alcohol may give it a bit more drinkability. If you like hefe-weizens and tart (or lightly tart) beers, then this is a must try!

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/12/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- A bit of a cloudy golden pour, a large on the creamy side foamy head and above average lacing. At least 1/2 inch of head was left throughout the entire beer.

Smell- A touch of corriander as well as a bit of a black olive scent. Maybe some kind of vegatable scent as well. Interesting, but not bad.

Taste- Was prepared to not like this one because of the "salt" factor. But, was I ever suprised. Tastes like a combo between a pils, hefe and get this...a flanders type ale? It has the nice wheat and corriander which makes you think weizen, and the light metallic twinge and bit of grain that says pils and I guess because of the salt, it creates a tad bit of sourness you might find in a flanders. All rolled into one it really works.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonation than expected, very smooth, clean and crisp as well.

Drinkability- This is a great summer beer. So easy to drink and one of the most refreshing beers I have had. The price was a bit steep ($4.50 I think), but it was worth it. I'm wishing I snagged another couple of these. Damn!

4.39/5  rDev +12.6%

A- pours with a thick white head. beer is clear and golden, about the color of a Duvel. foam dissipates fairly quickly.

smell - smells like grapes, lychee or pineapple..like those japanese gummy candies. very fruity.

t - very fruity, slightly tart. not very salty. Reminds me of belgian wit beers. tastes like grapes or pineapple a little bit.

d - very refreshing, a great summer beer. it would interesting to drink a gose that was also hoppier.

I was expecting something more extreme, but it's crisp, refreshing and def. has sourness to it. As I drink more I can feel the sourness more. Would love this on tap at a bar.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a cloudy yellow golden with a smaller white head that sticks around a while. The aroma has lemons, coriander, some saltiness, and white grapes. Appreciate how the coriander is not overpowering, which it easily can be. The flavor has white grape juice, some appreciable tartness, then the finish develops some coriander spice notes and light malts. Light bodied with a prickly refreshing carbonation. I really dig this brew, light, refreshing, fruity and tart. I would drink this often if it weren't for a prohibitive price tag!

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from quite possibly the most beautiful bottle I have ever bought. Teardrop shaped 750 that is silk screened and has a flip top. No dates. Poured into a wezen.

Loud pop when opened, a bit of a gusher, but it subsided before I uttered my second curse. Pale, hazed gold with a tall white head that is rocky and leaves lumpy lace as it goes.

Smells of malted wheat, coriander and ocean. Nicely balanced.

Wheat comes up first, but is gently cleared nudged aside by the coriander and dry hops followed by a palate clearing dose of kosher salt. The salt, hop, and spice combination work really well and give it an almost lemon like character. This would do well paired with roasted pork, or even by itself as an afternoon drink during summer.

The mouth has the feel of a good pale wheat, but with a little kick from the salt/spice/herb combo that is accented by the carbonation. This has session beer written all over it.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Now what in the world is THIS suppose to be, a witbier brewed with sea water, then mixed with a Berliner Weiss? I guess I'll have to find out. 330 ml longneck, on to the beer:

Looks like a kristalweizen. It's golden blonde in color, clean bodied, carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The head is big and airy, slowly going down. The coriander is big in the nose, with a fresh sqeeze of orange. Refreshing! I even got that little note of that sea salt.

It's a little sour. A little lemon pucker. And with a little orange (I'm guessing that's the coriander). You really taste the tang that the salt provides on the sides of your palate. I really enjoy the curveball that the salt adds to this beer. In fact, I think NYC officials would try to ban this, given the anti-salt crusade they're on. Sour orange? This is thought provoking. Wait, if this is brewed with salt, does that mean this brew violates the Reinheitsgebot?

Dear American craft brewers, start brewing with salt! What a great beer, and what a style I've discovered here. Now, get me another bottle!

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

As far as I know this is the only commercial example of Gose available in the US and it is the only one that I have ever tried. With that said, I wish there were more. I would like to see other brewer's versions. It has a slight hazy copper color with a large head. The aroma is delicate and subtle with aromas of citrus and spice. The body is smooth and thin. There are tastes of orange and it reminds me of pretzels from the use of the salt. There is a slight sourness in the refreshing finish. Bring on more Gose!

4.44/5  rDev +13.8%

Date: 04/30/2011
Type: 11.2oz. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glass: Goose Island Chalice
*Thanks AgentZero!

Pours a light golden straw in color w/ a delicate white 1/2 finger head, that leaves quickly dissipating lacing. Aromas of fresh cut hay/wheat, a touch of caramel, biscuit, floral bouquet, and spices(coriander). The flavor was light caramel sweetness up front, followed by acidic citrus and rose water, finishing w/ a very subtle sea salt. This is not like anything I have tasted before! Thin bodied w/ great flavors that hang on the palate. Pretty sessionable style once you acquire a taste for it as I now have.

Overall, this brew has made me fall in love with this obscure German style. What better brew to do it than the one from the German town that started it all.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

What a revelationj this beer is on-tap. I'd had it a couple of times in the bottle before, and while I thought it was interesting and pretty good, it didn't really grab me as a style or a beer. Once I had it on tap this summer at the Brick Store Pub, I just couldn't stop drinking it. It seems that at least every other time I would go to the pub I would order one of these, and it just kept getting better and better, particularly if it were hot outside. The bottles are also quite expensive, so this is relatively a much better deal. So refreshing, and the touch of salt an loads of coriander eventually made it addictive for me. Something just seemed to click with this beer on draft. Pours a super carbonated pale yellow with a very white fluffy head. Smells very slightly sour, with a hint of lemon and green apple and spicy with fresh wheat and you can smell a slight salty tang. Tastes very, very refreshing. Lots of coriander and some crisp wheat up front, and then the salty tang is quite noticeable against a background of light citrusy sourness and tannic, salty bitterness. This part of the beer is reminiscent of a salting crabapples that I remember doing as a child in the south. The salt, corander, citrus, and bitterness fronted by the spicy wheat just works- some type of alchemy is surely at work here. Thirst quenching in the mouth, with the slightest bit of prickliness, and perfectly refreshing. My new favorite summer beer.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

Seeing as this is the only Gose I have tried, it is hard for me to give a fair review, at least within the confines of the style.

I am a huge fan of sour ales, and this beer allowed me a perspective on how different they can be from your Flanders varieties and even from Berliner Weisse.

This beer has an aesthetically pleasing appearance, hazy and somewhere between a straw and a gold color.

Coriander and lemon on the nose, but remarkably, no lemon in the beer.

A great deal of citrus in the flavor, coriander as well. Not much in the way of malt or yeast detectable on the palate. Slight sourness persists after it's left the mouth, but nothing over the top.

Barring its prohibitive cost, this would make a wonderful summer session ale for me.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow! This was a real summer quencher. Poured hazy sunshine yellow from the tall porcelain stoppered flasche. Aroma was fruity and lemony with hints of spice and floral notes. Head was creamy white and lingered leaving some lacing on the glass. Taste was acidic even lemony, hints of spice and traces of saltiness that this style is noted for having. an overriding sour taste was just the thing to take the edge off of a hazy, hot and humid Saturday.

4.46/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A- cloudy straw color, some cloudiness

s- some lactic acid, grainy aroma

t - some tartness which balances malts, not as tart as Berliner Weiss, dry finish, hops not prominant

m - medium bodied

d - makes me thirsty, the salt keeps it from being refreshing

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Slight cloudy/murky light orange in color, strings of carbonation rise to the top, a thin, active head. Has a very odd, but receptive nose of salt, coriander, and some outdoor type freshness. Massive twang in the palate, sharp wheaty and malt offerings up front. Lemon zestiness, similar to hefe's, but more crisp and flavorful. Maintains a decent medium body, coriander and some metallic tastings. Stays the same, even as it warms to room temp and beyond, finish is slightly tarty, crisp and creamy, what a superb brew, oh so easy to quaff, and oh so tasty. Here's to you, here's to me, go get the Gose!

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

A pint on tap at memphis taproom. Sweet!

A- comes my way from one of my favorite tenders in the bus with a nice big fingers of bright white head that settles very quickly to leave a mirror finish. Hazy sunset yellow orange in color.

S- slightly tart, hits of pale malts with that brine thing going on that always keeps you on your toes. Its like an ocean breeze and its real good.

T- crisp green apple and a hit of pale malts that roll into that signature briney flair. Its an odd flavor combination but it works so damn well.

M- a tick less then medium in body with a bright effervesant carb that foams things up and really keeps things super refreshing.

O- I'm not an expert on this style but this is a great beer and as easy drinking and enjoyable as I've had in a long time.

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

Murky pumpkin with a fat round eggshell head.
Nose of cilantro and rust with a backing from lemon rind.
Begins with wavering peach muffin doughiness. Dries as it goes towards lemon rind. Herbal towards the middle with loads of leafy cilantro. Weizen traits later, before a sense of rusty tin and iron arrise, then the salt appears with a lightly acrid bitterness. Rounds out with a continuation from the bitter herbs and lip-lickingly dry from the salt.
A lightness of body and a fully-fluffed creaminess ease this rapidly through the tubes.
This is a beautiful thing.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof