Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 843 | Reviews: 446
3.93/5  rDev +1%

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasty gose. Good example of the style.

3.69/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

1.8/5  rDev -53.7%

4.28/5  rDev +10%

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof