Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
bminor7

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

11.2 oz from Beers of the World, Rochester.

I first heard of the Gose in Mosher's Radical Brewing (excellent book). Among the other older styles that were being revived as of late, it sounded interesting...simple, yet unusual.

Appearance is straw yellow, only a little turbid, with a crispy short-lived foam.

The smell reminds me immediately of a low-end Saranac Kolsch or something like that. There is some sour citrus in there. Almost a slight skunk. Somehow it almost smells like a late fall breeze, cool and refreshing. I don't know if that is technically possible.

The taste follows, with a citric acid/sour note in there. The malt and hops are light, almost american macro lager-ish, but no doubts that this is real beer.

Very refreshing mouthfeel. Clean, light, and crisp.

Well, it is an uncommon style at the current time, so no hurt in checking it out. If it was less pricey it could be a very popular alternative to american macro drinkers who would like something a little more.

09-20-2011 23:28:22 | More by bminor7
negroobserver

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Appearance... Light yellow. A bit cloudy. Remeniscent of a haefeweizen.

Smell... Citrusy. Light saltiness, like an ocean breeze. Hops.

Taste... Light sourness. A bit of salt, which is very complementary like a chocolate dipped pretzel. Citrus or lemon flavors.

Mouthfeel... Light, a bit watery. Refreshing.

Overall... A very nice beer. My first salted beer, which I really loved. It kind of reminds me of a better version of a Corona with salt and lime. Excellent stuff.

Grade: A-

09-08-2011 03:04:57 | More by negroobserver
MoreThanWine

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured a 2" white head which in moderate time had completely dissipated. Hazy light straw yellow color. Smells of hops, malt, and spice. Taste doesn't quite match the smell - there's more malt but less hops and the spicing is a very short sensation. I'd say this beer is refreshing, perfectly acceptable, and quality, but not a standout.

09-05-2011 11:28:03 | More by MoreThanWine
falloutsnow

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Purchased from Beertopia in Omaha, NE.

A pour, with swirling to capture any yeast, produces a somewhat cloudy body, pale yellow in color. Carbonation is just barely visible when looking inwards. The head is fairly close to white, just off-white, holds for about a minute, and recedes to practically nothing afterwards. No noticeable lacing.

Fairly light nose profile, with hints of malt, coriander, a little fruit ester, and subdued yeastiness present. Could be a bit more expressive.

Taste is more forward than scent, with bread-like malt sweetness opening, quickly subtended by coriander, citrus rind, and mild lactic tartness. Salt is barely perceptible to me. Perhaps stretching it, I also pull some very faint, light plum in this as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly light, perhaps going to light-medium. Carbonation is fairly high, but this moves the beer along the palate quite nicely, fizzing while doing so. Finish is dry, leading to anticipation of next sip. Definitely not a slow-sipper, this is a very sessionable brew if desired.

This was a good, unique and fairly refreshing beer that I could certainly drink more of. Just wish the bottle was more affordable, or better yet, that there was a local brewery producing this style for summer.

08-30-2011 22:08:10 | More by falloutsnow
output01x

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 330 mL. bottle (no date) into a pint glass.

A strong pour yields a 1 1/2-finger bright white head that fades after a couple minutes to an even dusting. The body is a hazy slightly pale gold with traces of orange amber when held to light. A few small rising carbonation bubbles can be seen through the cloudy body. A little lacing can be seen throughout consumption, but is not strong enough to stick to the glass for any period of time.

Grainy and somewhat sweet smelling wheat aromas give notes of ripe banana and bubblegum. A light spice is also detected in the background, but is not really strong enough to decipher.

Strong wheat is again prominent in the taste. Bready and sweet, it also carries notes of light spices and acidic lemon zest. A drying saltiness ends the taste that pulls you back again and again for more.

Medium bodied with excellent carbonation, this beer is begs to be gulped instead of sipped. The body is not heavy enough to stick around long but is not too thin to be forgettable. The carbonation fizzes away when held on the tongue and really moves this beer along. The carbonation may be a little strong, as combined with the drying salt, causes the flavors to fade rather fast.

08-22-2011 18:21:14 | More by output01x
woodychandler

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

My recent willingness to depart from The CANQuest (TM) to try some bottled beers for a while has led me to this beer, which I had frankly wanted to try for some time. Prosit!

From the bottle: "Leipziger Gose is unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. Its flavor and taste profile are quite complex with pleasant notes of coriander on the palate. The salt level is calculated to be present and tangible but just below the level at which humans can actually "taste" salt. The Gose style is named after the town of "Goslar," the historic origin of the style. Likewise, Goslar is named after the river "Gose."

Friends, I hate to break it to yinz, but thanks to so many exposures to Minhas products, I am more and less than human. I have been partially subsumed into becoming a Cyberman, but only partially. That, plus given all of my underway time in the Navy, I am one salty dog, so if I can taste salt in this beer, it is because I am no longer human.

The pour revealed what I thought was initially going to be a Greg Koch special - a fizzy yellow beer until I caught some. unexpected lees and it turned cloudy on me. I had a finger of rocky bone-white head with very good retention in the creeping humidity this evening. Color went from a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity to a hazy orangish-yellow in just a millisecond. Depending on how clear you want your beer, a gentle pour may be in order. The nose had a pronounced peppery odor, thanks to the coriander, but I could swear that I also caught some salt spray in there. Salt & pepper - what a novel concept! Mouthfeel was full and brisk and it tasted like the lemon pepper seasoning that I like to put on fish. To say that the finish was dry would be like saying that the "Mona Lisa" is a painting. This was alum dry! You could pour this on electronic components in lieu of dessicant in terms of its dryness. Arid Extra Dry had nothing on how dry this beer finished. I think that I would now like to drink a beer.

08-18-2011 01:13:46 | More by woodychandler
UCLABrewN84

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

After a long search I finally found a gose for my quest to hit every style on BA.

Pours a murky, hazy honey orange with a foamy 1 inch off-white head. Smell is of spices (coriander), yeast, and a slightly floral scent. Taste is slightly sour on the first sip with spice, yeast, and floral flavors. There is a slightly acidic sour taste on the tongue after each sip. A lower level of carbonation but somehow it feels bubbly and crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good and interesting style of beer. I really don't get any salty flavors from this one. A very refreshing beer on a hot day.

08-16-2011 02:23:08 | More by UCLABrewN84
scottfrie

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

330ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours a clear golden with three fingers of dense bright white head that took forever to fade into a whispy film that left a few tiny streaks of lacing.
S: Light smelling with notes of grassy hops and crackers. I can detect a hint of sea salt as well.
T: Light notes of earthy hops, a touch of coriander and pepper, lemon zest, wheat and minerals. The finish is definitely bready. I get a bit of fruit, almost tart fruits, but not quite. This beer doesn’t go down salty, but if I lick my lips after I swallow I get a bit of a saline mineraliness. I was expecting more coriander, but what’s there adds a nice flavor.
M: Tingly carbonation over a light body creates a bubbly and clean mouthfeel. It a bit spritzy though.
O: I don’t know if I enjoyed drinking extra salt, but I thought this beer was pretty good. Uniquely flavored and fairly refreshing, although I did drink a glass of water afterward.

08-09-2011 23:28:34 | More by scottfrie
zhanson88

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Pours a very lightly hazy straw color with about 1" of pure white head. The head holds for a bit, but in the end almost completely disappears. Lacing is nonexistent. Doesn't take much of a swirl to create some more head though.

Smell: Very mild and subtle all the way around. Slightly bready, with orange rind and coriander showing as well. When I really dig deep I do get a light touch of brine, which must come from the salt addition.

Taste: More expressive than the smell. I still get bready malts up front, followed by coriander and orand rind. Very dry on the finish, with brine and a touch of salt showing through. Extremely refreshing, and it makes you want to take another sip almost immediately.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Very pleasant feel on the palate. A bit over light bodied and a bit prickly and spritzy. Seems appropriate. Overall, I really liked this beer. Extremely refreshing and great for summer. I wish more breweries took a stab at this style.

08-06-2011 02:01:35 | More by zhanson88
oline73

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear very light amber/golden color with just over a finger of white head that goes away very quickly.

Smell: Quite mild, some bready malt sweetness with a mild herbal note.

Taste: Very crisp and refreshing. A mild tartness compliments the salt and the coriander very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, carbonation is on the high side and the finish is dry.

Overall: Nice and light, I really liked the mild tartness. I would definitely have another.

08-01-2011 02:13:38 | More by oline73
woosterbill

Kentucky

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Bottle into an Unibroue tulip. Thanks, Dan, for busting this out to show me that not all Goses taste like the Bruery's.

A: Clear pale amber body under a finger of fine white foam. Ok retention, light lace. Not bad.

S: Light + fresh, with delicate herbal hints of coriander, some tangy wheat, and the vaguest hint of salty crackers. A touch of tartness as well. Lovely and refreshing.

T: Cleanly grainy wheat up front, with the coriander + tartness joining in a moment later. Very crisp, refreshing, and never too salty. Delicious, classic example of the style.

M: Very light, soft, smooth body with carbonation to match. A bit more life wouldn't have hurt, but it's just fine.

O: I really enjoyed this beer (after disliking Salt of the Earth), but I can see how someone could balk at having to pay $5 a bottle for something so simple, light, and refreshing. If you like wheat beers at all, try this one - just don't expect it to be a flavor explosion.

Cheers!

07-31-2011 23:11:07 | More by woosterbill
JayQue

3.9/5  rDev 0%

My first Gose, pretty good!! Unusual bottle, 750 ml, rounded bottom like Mateus Rose with a long neck and an enamel stopper as the cap.

Poured a dull straw gold with a big delicate bubbly white head, head retention is better than average, not much in the way of lacing.

Aroma is slightly bitter wheat and lemon. Fairly subtle.

Taste is good. Wheat bitterness and lemon zest up front, a slight sourness in the finish. Not as much going on here as a hefeweizen, but a similar light wheat style - great for a hot day.

Mouthfeel nicely carbonated, light but not watery with a nice tartness in the finish.

Overall, a good summer beer for any occasion.

07-23-2011 00:52:17 | More by JayQue
Knapp85

4.63/5  rDev +18.7%

I was a little concerned about trying this beer. Everything I read about this beer said that it was salty. I'm not a salt lover so I really wasn't sure if I wanted to put money into this. One night I was feeling lucky so I just figured I'd grab a bottle and split it with a friend of mine. The beer poured out as a golden yellow color with a light amount of haze to it. The smell of the beer had some fresh grainy aromas that filled my nose. The beer smelled pretty good. The taste was not as salty as I expected it to be. In fact I was actually trying to taste the salt and I wasn't really able to. The grains and malts were mostly what I was getting. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall this beer is worth trying. I had the opportunity to try it on tap once or twice but I chose not too. All in all It's worth a try.

Upon trying this again I'm seeing this as my favorite Gose, The American versions are getting too sour in my opinion. This brew has the perfect balance of saltiness and sour. I'm amping up my numbers on this because I truly feel this is the best of it's class. Really great stuff and should definitely be tried at some point if you're enjoying this style.

07-19-2011 15:50:09 | More by Knapp85
Wadsey

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Leipziger Gose

Served in an old fashioned glass.

A: Pours hazy gold with medium white head that disappears immediately. Medium-high effervescence.

S: Toasted grain, wheat tang, coriander, peppery and somewhat flowery.

T: A bit of sweetness up front, followed by toasted grain, wheat tang and then a light tartness. The beer then turns spicy, with coriander, pepper and sea salt. The saltiness may be more of a sensation, but I definitely taste it. Pleasant finish in which spiciness mellows and a note of orange blossoms, which I had missed, makes an appearance.

M: Light body and medium-high carbonation make for a lively mouthfeel. Salty sensation and drying.

O: I expected Leipziger Gose to taste like the hypertension in a bottle that is Bruery's Salt of the Earth. Not so. Leipziger Gose acts more like a Berliner Weisse with a spicy twist. Very good drinkability and complexity. More goses, please!

07-17-2011 03:52:31 | More by Wadsey
flannelman808

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Bright and Straw colored with a bone white head. Fluffy head with good retention and lacing (sort of paints the glass).

S: Grain forward and mild

T: Slightly tart lemon falling into subtle spice and a pleasant salinity balancing act. This is actually damn good I have to say I'm pretty surprised at how much I like it. Very light bodied and subtle yet highly complex.

M: Very dry, the salt keeps you coming back for more.

O: Impressive beer, Looking forward to trying more of the style.

07-15-2011 01:28:38 | More by flannelman808
rinhaak

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

11 oz bottle poured into a Sam's perfect pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold with visible carbonation and a small but noticeable head.

The nose is full of pilsner malts, blackberry, and plums. Pleasant, though not staggering.

The mouth is lovely, somehow finding a balance between sour and sweet. It almost drinks like a chardonay. Extremely refreshing with a long malty finish.

This is, to my tastes, a nearly ideal summer German beer. Crisp and refreshing, dry but not too dry, beautifully balanced flavors without being overly complex, there are few beers that satisfy my needs on a hot summer day better than this.

Bravo.

07-07-2011 21:58:47 | More by rinhaak
scinerd3000

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Had this at Teresa's in Wayne, Pa.

A: Raised foam which receded as quickly. No head what so ever. Not even bubbles. Crystal Clear golden color.

S: light fruit, crisp wheat, grapes

T: Very refreshing. Balanced wheat, some subtle spice. No alcohol nor sourness. Coriander comes through a bit in the middle of the taste. Dry and crisp with subtle granny smith apple on the finish.

M: Leaves mouth dry but with a sweetness. Well carbonated, medium body

O: Interesting to say the least....glad i tried it and I would drink it again.

07-02-2011 15:09:27 | More by scinerd3000
davey101

Connecticut

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy straw yellow. An aggressive pour yields a frothy head that lasted all but a minute.

S - Citrus and herbs. Coriander and some floral/herbal qualities. This smells like a garden of herbs that somehow got drenched in beer. So fresh and earthy.

T - Very sweet. This is a very light wheat beer, and the coriander and lemon really bring out this fresh, herbal flavor. This is damn refreshing.

O - I have never heard of this beer style up until today. I gotta say, this is really light and refreshing. I'll be picking up some more for the hotter days of summer.

06-30-2011 03:37:42 | More by davey101
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured and split into to globes from the most unique bottle I've seen.

A: Rather cloudy golden yellow. Solid two fingers of bright white head. Fades fast leavng soapy lace.

S: Nice tart citrus aroma is the first thing I notice. The coriander and salt are quite noticeable as well. There's just a hint of funk in there. Like a very timid gueuze. Soft pale wheat comes through as it warms.

T: Pretty much a mirror of the nose. Good amount of lemony citrus with plenty of coriander and salt. Fresh wheat bread and a touch of wet straw. Refreshing and unique.

M: Light body with a creamy mouth feel. Modest carbonation.

O: My first gose was a pleasant experience. This would be a great hot summer day beer.

06-28-2011 14:34:49 | More by beerwolf77
harrymel

Washington

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

On tap at Bayischer Banhof Brewery in Leipzig, Germany. Beautiful day surrounded by new friends.

A: Orange to off-gold with hazy clarity. Two fingers of white foam sticks around throughout. Nice rope like lacing.

S: Farmy funk is faint but present. Soil, straw and just hints of sour lemon and a bit of a pretzel smell (grains with the salt).

T: Nice and refreshing. Good salinity helps open this up. Wheat, soil and sour are subdued but really pleasant. The coriander is very nutty and eloquent.

M: Thin body with creamy feel and moderate carbonation. Slightly dry finish.

O: Very refreshing beer. This differs from the Dolenitzer in two ways: adding salt DURING the boil, and adding coriander. When you taste them side by side, you can tell the differences. I think a blend of the two would actually make the best of the two, but at this time, I believe the Dolenitzer takes the prize for now.

06-24-2011 19:50:53 | More by harrymel
seand

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Pours a cloudy yellow amber color, with a large amount of bubbly white foam. The head dies down but a thin solid blanket retains over the surface.

S: Light with sweet fruit notes. A little like a dry cider, but with a touch of light fruity vinous notes reminiscent of prosecco. There's a yeasty undertone to remind you that this is in fact beer.

T: Sweet, light, with nice fruity touches, but quite a nice flavor. It's kind of somewhere in the middle of a pale ale, hefeweizen, and prosecco.

M: Fairly light body, medium carbonation.

Overall I think this beer is great; it's a perfect hot summer day beer. It's light, crisp, refreshing, and low in alcohol, yet flavorful and interesting, albeit in a total different way than a big imperial stout. I wish it was readily available in 6 packs like so many other beers that do a much worse job of trying to fill the same role.

06-22-2011 04:46:05 | More by seand
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

1.58/5  rDev -59.5%

$4.95 for a bottle at Beertopia.

Wow, this is the worst bottle I've had is a long time.

The sediment was intimidating to begin with, like ice tea that has an abundant of pepper flakes floating around. The aroma has a distinct sourness to it with some sort of fruit added in. The taste - wait for it - holy shit that's nasty! All I can pick out is sour fruit and grain alcohol that comes together in a complete mess that made me grimace and try to keep my tongue from imploding. I hope this is a bad bottle and that other people don't think this is worthy of A's and B's.

In case you couldn't guess, this is a drain pour.

06-07-2011 22:57:51 | More by DesMoinesMike
Beerenauslese

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured form the bottle into a tall stange. This is my first gose, obtained as a current beer of the month offering from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco.

Body is a hazy gold, topped by a white creamy head with moderate retention. Leaves no lacing.

Smells fresh, with light malt, some sugar, and lemony citrus.

This tastes very good, with a nice malt sweetness that is balanced with a mild sourness, mainly citrus. There is a little funk from the yeast in the background. In the finish, there is a bit of spice, tasting like coriander as in a witbier and some ginger and light salt.

Body is light, and the carbonation is lively. This has a a spritziness on the tongue and a very refreshing mouthfeel. Tasting good at 4.6% ABV, this is an eminently drinkable beer.

06-03-2011 00:49:55 | More by Beerenauslese
mdaschaf

Washington

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a somewhat cloudy straw/golden color with a huge white head upon pouring. This reduced to a thin layer on top with some foamy lacing left on the glass. Carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Lots of wheat and grain on the aroma with some light grass and a little bit of lemon. There is an ever so slight funk as well.

T: Slightly sour and sweet with a little bit of spice up front. The wheat is certainly present with some light fruit, lemon is present. I got a slight saltiness.

M: Pretty light with high carbonation, rather crisp with a clean mouthfeel and a slightly dry finish.

O: Very enjoyable, slightly tart, slightly sweet. Hope to have more Gose in the future.

05-28-2011 00:33:37 | More by mdaschaf
laituegonflable

Australia

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Exciting dive into a new style; this one was given to me blind so I had no idea what I was drinking.

Pale straw colour, nice and opaque. Head is white, nice and creamy with pleasant clingy lace, just a thin crown. Really rather pleasant.

Smells very rank, but in a good way. Massive earthy, rubbery funk with acid of a citric nature, organic grain notes with a touch of livestock feed, wet hay and some really pleasant and piquant spice notes, including star anise and coriander. Great.

Taste is a bit of a letdown, but still not bad at all. Lots of wheat character with tart, raw wheat notes, some citric character that comes through on the mid and lingers towards the back but is unsupported by malt so ends up being a tad insipid. Slight tangerine twist to it, hints of yellow capsicum, rice vinegar and maybe some coriander. Decent palate, not amazing though.

Decently full and smooth, bit of drying texture towards the back. Quite nice.

Good drinkin' beer, nice and flavoursome but it pulls back in the important areas to make it quaffable. Salt is not detectable - all the more power for it.

05-27-2011 01:50:04 | More by laituegonflable