Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 844 | Reviews: 447

This one is supposed to be a traditional Gose. The style was almost extinct from what I have read until a lot of the craft brew guys in the US have revitalized it. I have yet to try Westbrook but the Boulevard and Anderson Valley were really good, crisp and tart beers. This one is a bit different. Maybe this is why the style was going extinct? I will give it credit for being a more traditional version of this beer. But, honestly this beer smells like a sweaty sock. Color is very cloudy much like you would see in a wheat beer. The smell is almost like a moldy grain.

Head sticks around for a while and the color is golden and vary hazy. It looks like a wheat beer. Think Blue Moon or something in that vein.

Taste: Not much going on with this one. Not nearly as tart as the American versions, it does have that crispness, It almost tastes like a carbonated yet flat sweet cider but take out the tartness. I cannot for the life of me get a good description of this beer. It tastes unlike anything I have had before. It verges on something but I cannot quite get there with my palates memory. Its a bit tart, but not as tart as the American version's I have tried. Its really pretty bland in taste, maybe that is why I can't detect it. It really doesn't have much of any flavor of any kind.

Overall: I was interested in trying this one. I am thankful I just bought the one. It does not have a date on the bottle so I have no idea how old it is, but I doubt the store I purchased it from would allow it to stay very long considering its a low abv. beer. Would I buy this again, probably not considering there are others that are much better, to me anyway. Pretty boring beer for the price.

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Light, refreshing, citrusy. Not too much salt or sourness. Westbrook Gose, this is not. Much more traditional.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.81/5  rDev -2.1%

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

No date on the bottle, although I've had it well over a year. I'm thinking it's about two years old. The bottle I have is the "spezialitat" which has a wide base and long neck.

Appearance: The beer has a thin white head that goes away fast leaving no lacing. The body is a golden orange color that is slightly hazy.

Aroma: I get a sweet coriander aroma. It's very prominent, especially for being collared so long.

Taste: It has a very light wheat flavor and a hint of coriander. It's very mellow .

Mouthfeel: There is a slight tartness around the edge but not strong. The beer is light all-around.

Overall: It's a great beer. I wasn't getting a whole lot of wheat flavor our sourness from the beer, but it was very enjoyable. It's a nice light drink that could be enjoyed with about anything. I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried a Gose (and those who have) who enjoy coriander spiced witbiers. I would buy it again.

3.52/5  rDev -9.5%

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a hazed golden/yellow color. At first a pillowing white head rises to about two fingers, then fizzles out. Thin, film like lace.
S: Earthy a musty like up front. Tangy orange and lemon aromas, with a spicy finish.
T: Up front is just ever so slightly tart and acidic. That quickly gives way an earthy character. Juicy, and sweet fruits like orange and lemon, and again finishes with a bit of peppery spice.
M/D: A light body with a soft and smooth feel. Just slightly prickly carbonation. Down in big gulps, wait, where to the liquid go. Gone in a second, and I wish I picked up a few more.

I'm a fan. Not to many true German Gose's available, and this seems to fit the bill from the handful of others I have had. It is soft and subtle, but really enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof