Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.
Ratings: 889 | Reviews: 462
4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation- poured from a 16.9 oz brown bottle without freshness date into a stange glass

A - A hazy pale color similar to sunbrewed tea with a thin white head that leaves lace of compact bubbles

S - A wheaty spiced ale scent with a slight mineral quality I am guessing is a result ofadded salt since I have never tasted a Gose before. I swirled the yeast residing on the bottom of the bottle and poured it into the ale, which gave a more weizen/wit essencwith more of the salt and spice taste. Decent fruity esters and light tropical aromas become noticeable.

M - Lightly effervescent with a tangy fruity sourness. Full and creamy feel with lighty sea salt aftertaste.

T - Much as I expected the taste of coriander gives wit-like impressions while the cloudy yeast and effervescence akin to a weizen. Nice ale fruitiness and honey-like sweetness followed by a dash of salt and a mineral flavor this pleasing and tasty.

D - A unique wheat ale which is sessionable and easy to drink with a variety of snacks. I chose aged gouda but this is a great ale for summer all by itself.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a very effervescent bronze with 4 fingers of off white head. Gets a little opague towards the bottom of the bottle. Good head retention & lacing

S:Yeasty & peppery up front

T: Whear tartness quickly overwhelmed by yeasty taste, pepper & coriander. Some earthy breadyness in the middle. I'm getting the salt taste along with a little lemonin the back of the throat. I get a little carboard & dryness as this continues to warm. Finishes fruitty with grainyness & spices & quenching

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks okay, this minus the cardboardy taste is pretty much how I rember this tasting the one time I had this in Germany. Worth a try, not to my tastes. I'm never really impressed with most rustic biers unless they are loaded with heft & flavor. This is what it is

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is pretty crazy beer, I've had Scott Smith's Here it Gose Again...East End brewed gose. This will be my first German brewed authentic version, pours a deep yellow orange golden cloudy color with a bright white head. Label calls it a beer brewed with coriander and salt. Fine lacing left behind between sips beautiful looking brew. Aroma at first was bit sulfurous with a brisk wind of sea salt and lemon peel citrus blends with coriander spice. Flavor is impressive, really unique great tasting beer I'm glad I finally gave this a try. Every time I had seen it before it was in a crazy shaped flip top bottle with a pretty high price tag. This 11.2 oz brown bottle for 3 something a bottle seemed much more fair for never having a real version of this stuff. Spicy coriander flows with tart lemon flavor perfect German wheat beer with a hint of salt, not salty you can more or less get the mineral aspect. Mouthfeel is light bodied super effervescent CO2 on the high end. Really interesting unique beer that I will be revisiting in the future...excellent stuff.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Served on-draught at Bayrischer Bahnhof. Reviewed from notes taken in June 2011.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight (but nice) cream, average retention, and white colour. Colour is a hazy cloudy nontransparent orange-dirty brown colour. Appealing. A bit reminiscient of a hefeweizen, but "dirtier".

Sm: Hints of dirty esters. Sourness; maybe funk. Light and musty. Not great.

T: Souring estery hop climax. The open and body are comprised primarily of merely clean barley. The pinnacle is the souring hop climax; the finish carries those that linger. Simple, but a welcome change from mindless German pilseners. It's not quite balanced, but the climax is adequately emphasized.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the sourness. A bit too wet, actually. Leaves a dry aftereffect that I'm not too fond of. Doesn't quite match the flavours of the body.

Dr: I don't really know the style well (this is me first beer in the style), but the emphasis seems to be on adequate presentation of the sourness. Belgian sours sure do this better, and this feels simple in comparison. I look forward to trying more beers in the style. Its low ABV never shows, not that you'd expect it to.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to John-Peter for bringing over a bottle of this brew. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Ridiculous foam that dissolves rather quickly and leaves negligible lacing. Slightly hazed golden straw color with an insane amount of bubbles rising to the top.

S - Salt, lacto sour, yeast, banana, coriander, lemon - it's like a spiced Berliner weiss. Really strong smell on this one. This is a really unique, and I don't have any other stylistic examples to compare it to.

T - The taste is much smoother, with lots of sweet banana, and tropical fruit. Malting the wheat takes out a lot of the sharpness, so there's only a little twang, and there's a touch of sour lemon to the flavor. Reminds me a little of Eric's Ale in a weird way.

M - Light, with surprisngly low carbonation (must go into the ridiculous foam), and a dry finish that leaves that too much candy feeling.

D - If the smell weren't so twangy this would be even more drinkable. Low alcohol and carbonation - very refreshing.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who's into Berliner Weiss or peach lambic.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

Got this beer at a local beer shop. It was kind of expensive so it took me a couple of times before I pulled the trigger. I'm so glad I did. Not only is it the only bottle Gose beer I've seen in the country, this beer is amazing. Run out. Stop reading, buy and drink this beer.
This beer is light yellow and clear. It pours with a serious head but it falls away to almost nothing really quick. There is steady carbonation, small bubbles. I'm drinking this out of a Radeberger pilsner flute, the best vessel I could find. The smell is interesting. Spice, I can't quite put my finger on it, corridander maybe. The taste, its amazing, lactic sourness, sweetness, spice comes through. This beer is so refreshing. My wife loves it as well. Its a great drink, all around. Well done. Why are you still reading? Go get it!

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured dark gold with a thick white bubbly head that soon almost completely vanished to a wisp.
The smell was thin - a touch of coriander and hints of other spices.
The taste was of coriander, and eventually some citrusy lemon and orange crept in, but remained fairly subdued. It was a bit watery. The salt was hardly noticeable, until a bite in the feel on the tongue.
The feel, overall, was thin - the salt gave a drying effect.
A curious drink - something a bit unique - but nothing that I, personally, was impressed with, or that I was particularly craving more of when I was finished.

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours cloudy light gold with some visible sediment in it. The head was foamy and white, about a finger in height and quickly dissipated. The beer did exhibit some small amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Aromas of bready malts, a little floral, and a little lemon.

T: A little lemony with hints of tartness/sourness but very refreshing and with an apricot finish.

M: Light bodied with moderate carbonation, a slight tingle on the tongue from the acidity.

O: Very refreshing and something that would be wonderful on that first warm day of spring, enjoyed outside. I really enjoyed the beer and would love to see more offerings available in this style.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured a somewhat cloudy straw/golden color with a huge white head upon pouring. This reduced to a thin layer on top with some foamy lacing left on the glass. Carbonation bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Lots of wheat and grain on the aroma with some light grass and a little bit of lemon. There is an ever so slight funk as well.

T: Slightly sour and sweet with a little bit of spice up front. The wheat is certainly present with some light fruit, lemon is present. I got a slight saltiness.

M: Pretty light with high carbonation, rather crisp with a clean mouthfeel and a slightly dry finish.

O: Very enjoyable, slightly tart, slightly sweet. Hope to have more Gose in the future.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

On tap at the Farmers' Cabinet served in a sort of hex-shaped pint glass. This brew appears a cloudy straw yellow color with a finger plus of white froth. The cap retains fairly well. As it slowly recedes, it leaves spots and finger-like patterns of lace sticking to the glass.

The smell if this brew comes across minorly salty with a bit of a mineral feel to the aroma. More smells seem to be more and more like Berliner weisse with a mild lacto character mixed with lemon and a sweet smell of cereal grains and wheat. There is a fruited quality that comes out towards the backend.

The taste is tart and lemony with a hint if seasalt imparting some minor mineral flavoring. Some fruit like lemon zest and flesh mixes with cereal grain character providing a nice sweetness to counteract the overall tart character of the brew. Faint notes of coriander play in the background with some lemon oily character and a touch of orange.

This is a super easy drinking brew that is tart and refreshing. A modest level of carbonation provides a nice tingle on the tongue. This is light bodied and an awesome take on the style. The alcohol is well hidden for nearly 5%. I haven't had many Gose offerings but this one is by far my favorite to date. Subtle salt addition with pleasant tartness. Very similar to the Berliner weisse style but with a bit of a twist.

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/12/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- A bit of a cloudy golden pour, a large on the creamy side foamy head and above average lacing. At least 1/2 inch of head was left throughout the entire beer.

Smell- A touch of corriander as well as a bit of a black olive scent. Maybe some kind of vegatable scent as well. Interesting, but not bad.

Taste- Was prepared to not like this one because of the "salt" factor. But, was I ever suprised. Tastes like a combo between a pils, hefe and get this...a flanders type ale? It has the nice wheat and corriander which makes you think weizen, and the light metallic twinge and bit of grain that says pils and I guess because of the salt, it creates a tad bit of sourness you might find in a flanders. All rolled into one it really works.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonation than expected, very smooth, clean and crisp as well.

Drinkability- This is a great summer beer. So easy to drink and one of the most refreshing beers I have had. The price was a bit steep ($4.50 I think), but it was worth it. I'm wishing I snagged another couple of these. Damn!

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a clear copper color, it is well carbonated which supports a tan head. The aroma is of grain-wheat with notes of lemon and some light spice notes. To me this has a clean appetizing aroma. The beer is sweet up front with a lightly sour finish. The sourness seems to be both a combination of the wheat used and the yeast/ bugs used, though it is quite light and in almost not there when compared to some of the other sour beers of the world. This beer is light and refreshing, a perfect beer for this hot July night. There almost seems to be a smoky note in the finish, perhaps this is all that is left of the coriander. The beer itself is non-descriptly spicy. I have a feeling that this light beer is showing its age a bit, while still quite enjoyable, it was not as pronounced in its uniqueness as the brewing process would suggest.

4.02/5  rDev +3.1%

My recent willingness to depart from The CANQuest (TM) to try some bottled beers for a while has led me to this beer, which I had frankly wanted to try for some time. Prosit!

From the bottle: "Leipziger Gose is unfiltered and bottle-conditioned. Its flavor and taste profile are quite complex with pleasant notes of coriander on the palate. The salt level is calculated to be present and tangible but just below the level at which humans can actually "taste" salt. The Gose style is named after the town of "Goslar," the historic origin of the style. Likewise, Goslar is named after the river "Gose."

Friends, I hate to break it to yinz, but thanks to so many exposures to Minhas products, I am more and less than human. I have been partially subsumed into becoming a Cyberman, but only partially. That, plus given all of my underway time in the Navy, I am one salty dog, so if I can taste salt in this beer, it is because I am no longer human.

The pour revealed what I thought was initially going to be a Greg Koch special - a fizzy yellow beer until I caught some. unexpected lees and it turned cloudy on me. I had a finger of rocky bone-white head with very good retention in the creeping humidity this evening. Color went from a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity to a hazy orangish-yellow in just a millisecond. Depending on how clear you want your beer, a gentle pour may be in order. The nose had a pronounced peppery odor, thanks to the coriander, but I could swear that I also caught some salt spray in there. Salt & pepper - what a novel concept! Mouthfeel was full and brisk and it tasted like the lemon pepper seasoning that I like to put on fish. To say that the finish was dry would be like saying that the "Mona Lisa" is a painting. This was alum dry! You could pour this on electronic components in lieu of dessicant in terms of its dryness. Arid Extra Dry had nothing on how dry this beer finished. I think that I would now like to drink a beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9%

On Tap at Memphis Taproom.

In a pint, L. Gose looks honey gloden with a shade of off bronze mixed in. A nice inch of slightly tight off white foam with ok retention and minimal stick.

Smell is on the lactic side, reminds me of a Berliner Weisee and it's possible that a gose is just a extention of the BW style. Sea salt and a touch of wheat plus some apple.

Taste is spot on tasty, pretty tart and mixing in with the wheat leaves for a earthy middle finished off by the sea salt, not exactly sure what it brings but I taste it and dig it.

Spritzy on the tounge and light in body and refreshing as hell.

I would drink this till the cows came home. A refreshing drink meant for summer and low alcohol for the long hall.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

11.2 oz. bottle, my 1st Gose thanks to Liquid Solutions,

A: Pours a relatively clear yellow with a nice colour, big puffy white head at first that dies down pretty quickly.

S: Lemon juice and lactic acid.

T: Interesting flavour, it tastes a lot like a Berliner Weisse mixed with salt. The salt is evident, but it doesn't take over the brew. Full lemon and light orange are present as well.

M: Light and fizzy carbonation, but has a nice body from the acidity.

D: A unique brew, I'm glad I finally got to try something from this style. Pricey, but worth a go.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Rhettroactive for sharing this the other night. I believe this is my first of the style. It poured cloudy and pale, golden yellow in color. A thin white head barely covered the top.

In the aroma the wheat malt is definitely present with some sweeter, bready flavors. I get some salt and citrusy spice to it as well. Interesting but pretty refreshing aroma.

The salt is very apparent in the taste giving it a dry, saltiness throughout. I get a citrusy, coriander presence to it as well as more sweeter, wheat malts. Salt gave it a surprisingly refreshing quality when combined with the coriander citrus.

The mouthfeel is light with carbonation being high. Overall it was a very interesting and pretty good tasting beer. I thought the saltiness added a interesting and somewhat refreshing component to it. The citrus flavors worked well for it as well. I liked it.

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%

Leipziger Gose

Pours a clear gold with a chill haze and a sea foam like head.
Aroma of dry wheat, and once again I must refer to sea foam, as there is a scent of saltwater. Light breadyness also.
Taste is tart, with a mild and palatable sour and definitely a little sodium bicarbonate. Savory and complex on the palate, tart, with mild coriander spice delicately interwoven with some wheat and citrus flavors. Euro pale malt body is there somewhere. Light bodied but with stinging carbonation. Overall, one of the most complex, authentic, and amazing beers I've had of German origin. Could drink this regularly.

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

While i haven't had all that many gose beers, this one seems a bit mild in the saline category

Pours a very light golden with white head that fluffed up fairly way, but stayed down as it drank.

Wheat malt is dominant aroma, but isn't all that powerful. A bit tangy. Soft spices of coriander and white pepper.

The salt is very mild here, and doesn't quite transform the beer from tart to sharp. Coriander and the wheat provide a tingly lemon essence, just shy of sweet.
While a refreshing beer and quite sessionable, it falls a bit short of a summer quencher

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Now what in the world is THIS suppose to be, a witbier brewed with sea water, then mixed with a Berliner Weiss? I guess I'll have to find out. 330 ml longneck, on to the beer:

Looks like a kristalweizen. It's golden blonde in color, clean bodied, carbonation bubbles rising to the top. The head is big and airy, slowly going down. The coriander is big in the nose, with a fresh sqeeze of orange. Refreshing! I even got that little note of that sea salt.

It's a little sour. A little lemon pucker. And with a little orange (I'm guessing that's the coriander). You really taste the tang that the salt provides on the sides of your palate. I really enjoy the curveball that the salt adds to this beer. In fact, I think NYC officials would try to ban this, given the anti-salt crusade they're on. Sour orange? This is thought provoking. Wait, if this is brewed with salt, does that mean this brew violates the Reinheitsgebot?

Dear American craft brewers, start brewing with salt! What a great beer, and what a style I've discovered here. Now, get me another bottle!

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from the bottle into a wheat ale glass. Getting my Gose-UH on.. oh yeah.

A foamy large head of about three fingers which falls at a good clip, slightly off white in color, stryofoam looking. Body is cloudy gold looking with faint dark muddy brown edges. Cola like bubbles stick to the sides, and some faint rising carbonation.

Nose is a good bit of chewy malt wheat, very faint clean lemon, even slight briny sense.

Taste is interesting. Clean refreshing lemon light sense, almost soda like, but a refreshing light tangy feel. Very light bodied but with a playful apricot finish.

Overall quite a refreshing drink, bordering on apricot soda, and malt refreshment. Quite nice.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

What a revelationj this beer is on-tap. I'd had it a couple of times in the bottle before, and while I thought it was interesting and pretty good, it didn't really grab me as a style or a beer. Once I had it on tap this summer at the Brick Store Pub, I just couldn't stop drinking it. It seems that at least every other time I would go to the pub I would order one of these, and it just kept getting better and better, particularly if it were hot outside. The bottles are also quite expensive, so this is relatively a much better deal. So refreshing, and the touch of salt an loads of coriander eventually made it addictive for me. Something just seemed to click with this beer on draft. Pours a super carbonated pale yellow with a very white fluffy head. Smells very slightly sour, with a hint of lemon and green apple and spicy with fresh wheat and you can smell a slight salty tang. Tastes very, very refreshing. Lots of coriander and some crisp wheat up front, and then the salty tang is quite noticeable against a background of light citrusy sourness and tannic, salty bitterness. This part of the beer is reminiscent of a salting crabapples that I remember doing as a child in the south. The salt, corander, citrus, and bitterness fronted by the spicy wheat just works- some type of alchemy is surely at work here. Thirst quenching in the mouth, with the slightest bit of prickliness, and perfectly refreshing. My new favorite summer beer.

2.43/5  rDev -37.7%

From notes:

Pours a murky, golden yellowish mustard brown color with a one finger foam white head. Decent retention, fading into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

The aroma of this beer has quite a bit going on. Hints of citrus peel, wheat, bread, spice, earthy and lemon juice.

Soft carbonation with sweet citrus flavor up front followed by a spicy and earthy presence mid palate and an odd salty dry finish. Hints of lemon zest, clove, salt and slight hops.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Appears a transparant gold with streams of carbonation pumping up to the top with a mild white collar and scattered lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of honey, flowers, and wheat with a touch of pepper and coriander.
Mouthfeel is dry and lightly carbonated.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

My very first Gose! Terribly exciting, even though I don't have anything to compare it against. Purchased from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, where Dave was quite excited about it. Brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a hazed lemony colour, rather like a hefeweizen, but probably lighter than the usual German hef. Fine white head that stays as a clean and clinging film to the top of the glass. Minimal body and lacing, but it looks tasty.

Nose is crisp and lightly spicy, giving a slight acidic resonance to everything else. Characters of olives, seaweed, sawdust, green apple peel and even a touch of noble hops (imagine that!). Perhaps not as weird as it might have been on the nose (indeed, there's a touch of the Kristalweizen to it), but solid enough.

Taste is more odd, with a crisp acidity and light body that immediately reminds me of a Berliner Weisse. While it doesn't have the true funky finish, or the depth of sourness, it has the very crisp lightness. Salt comes forward on the back, giving a weird way to wash out the palate. Not a huge amount of character overall, but I like that even though it's light, the characters it has are unusual.

A very dry but crisp and unusual beer. Surprisingly moreish.

Leipziger Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof