Leipziger Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Leipziger GoseLeipziger Gose

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

This original Leipzig beer specialty lends us the name for our brewery. Gose is a regional beer specialty that was brought to Saxony-Anhalt in the year 1738. Originally Gose comes from Goslar, a small town in Lower Saxony, and the river “Gose” in this town. This beer specialty has a refreshing, slightly sour taste and is ideal for quenching your thirst. Gose is brewed with the additional ingredients lactic acid, cilantro, and salt. Gose is a top-fermented beer with 4.5% ABV and 10.8% wort. You can enjoy it in different variations.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
nickfl

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Two fingers of white head on a slightly hazy, yellow body. The foam settles slowly and leaves good lace.

S - Lively lemon oil aroma, very fresh and unique. Lots of spicy wheat and slightly fruity yeast.

T - Tart wheat with a huge lemon note and a hint of lime. Grainy and puckeringly acidic in the finish but not quite what I would call sour.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a dry, cider-like finish.

D - An extremely unique and refreshing beer that is very drinkable. The aroma is spectacular, it smells like oil squeezed out of a fresh lemon peel, though the flavor is not quite as good. This one is a must try if you come across it and the style is deserving of the revival is it experiencing.

08-24-2009 05:01:59 | More by nickfl
RblWthACoz

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Well damnit if I’'m not glad I bought this last bottle at Eagle Provisions when it was there.

Pours a clouded amber gold. Nose is yeasty and citrus. Flavor is yeasty, slightly wheat-y and leaves a long citric flavor on the tongue. It seems like a cross between a Belgian brew and a German. Quite interesting really. Definite spice influence, though I have to admit that my palate for spices is immature, so I can’t pick them out as I should be able to. On the mouth it is low in carbonation but slightly thick in ingredients. Extremely drinkable. Like I said, this was the last bottle to be had where I bought it. If you see it, go for it.

12-30-2007 22:04:44 | More by RblWthACoz
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color with a large white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of wheat, spices, light malts and some hops.

T: The taste hits with a sharp spiciness up front along with complimentary flavors of wheat and some fruit. The hops presence is mild and the malt character is thin, but they provide some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean and dry finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, mild kick, it's my first beer in this style and I enjoyed it. It's a very good lighter beer to drink for a while.

05-31-2008 01:48:44 | More by TheManiacalOne
feloniousmonk

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

My first "gose" ever...didn't even know what one was until I bought this bottle. Okay, so "gose" it is!
Appearance: cloudy pale orange color, with a thick, creamy white head. Nice, attractive.
Aroma: spicy, yet soft, with whiffs of fresh sea-foam like I'm detected in weizens, big with spice, and citrus, and so far I'm geared up for something like a hefe or a wit...
Taste: unusual! Dry, and mellow, with an initial sourness. Not at all like I was expecting after that nose, way too flat on the palate. Rather light-bodied, cool and mild, with a very soft finish. I think I can actually taste the salt, too, I get the merest taste of salt, without it being too salty.
Very drinkable, this, very, very, although I liked it, but it couldn't love it. I needed more of a kick in the flavor for that.
An intriguing style, rarely encountered, and quite easy to appreciate. If I'm ever in the mood for a mellow, dry brew that won't go and blow my mind, gose it is!

12-10-2003 08:53:03 | More by feloniousmonk
MasterSki

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to John-Peter for bringing over a bottle of this brew. Served in a weizen glass.

A - Ridiculous foam that dissolves rather quickly and leaves negligible lacing. Slightly hazed golden straw color with an insane amount of bubbles rising to the top.

S - Salt, lacto sour, yeast, banana, coriander, lemon - it's like a spiced Berliner weiss. Really strong smell on this one. This is a really unique, and I don't have any other stylistic examples to compare it to.

T - The taste is much smoother, with lots of sweet banana, and tropical fruit. Malting the wheat takes out a lot of the sharpness, so there's only a little twang, and there's a touch of sour lemon to the flavor. Reminds me a little of Eric's Ale in a weird way.

M - Light, with surprisngly low carbonation (must go into the ridiculous foam), and a dry finish that leaves that too much candy feeling.

D - If the smell weren't so twangy this would be even more drinkable. Low alcohol and carbonation - very refreshing.

I'd highly recommend this for anyone who's into Berliner Weiss or peach lambic.

05-06-2009 04:53:40 | More by MasterSki
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is pretty crazy beer, I've had Scott Smith's Here it Gose Again...East End brewed gose. This will be my first German brewed authentic version, pours a deep yellow orange golden cloudy color with a bright white head. Label calls it a beer brewed with coriander and salt. Fine lacing left behind between sips beautiful looking brew. Aroma at first was bit sulfurous with a brisk wind of sea salt and lemon peel citrus blends with coriander spice. Flavor is impressive, really unique great tasting beer I'm glad I finally gave this a try. Every time I had seen it before it was in a crazy shaped flip top bottle with a pretty high price tag. This 11.2 oz brown bottle for 3 something a bottle seemed much more fair for never having a real version of this stuff. Spicy coriander flows with tart lemon flavor perfect German wheat beer with a hint of salt, not salty you can more or less get the mineral aspect. Mouthfeel is light bodied super effervescent CO2 on the high end. Really interesting unique beer that I will be revisiting in the future...excellent stuff.

04-26-2011 23:51:54 | More by WVbeergeek
russpowell

Oklahoma

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a very effervescent bronze with 4 fingers of off white head. Gets a little opague towards the bottom of the bottle. Good head retention & lacing

S:Yeasty & peppery up front

T: Whear tartness quickly overwhelmed by yeasty taste, pepper & coriander. Some earthy breadyness in the middle. I'm getting the salt taste along with a little lemonin the back of the throat. I get a little carboard & dryness as this continues to warm. Finishes fruitty with grainyness & spices & quenching

MF: Light bodied with low carbonation

Drinks okay, this minus the cardboardy taste is pretty much how I rember this tasting the one time I had this in Germany. Worth a try, not to my tastes. I'm never really impressed with most rustic biers unless they are loaded with heft & flavor. This is what it is

01-21-2007 21:53:30 | More by russpowell
drabmuh

4.33/5  rDev +11%

Got this beer at a local beer shop. It was kind of expensive so it took me a couple of times before I pulled the trigger. I'm so glad I did. Not only is it the only bottle Gose beer I've seen in the country, this beer is amazing. Run out. Stop reading, buy and drink this beer.
This beer is light yellow and clear. It pours with a serious head but it falls away to almost nothing really quick. There is steady carbonation, small bubbles. I'm drinking this out of a Radeberger pilsner flute, the best vessel I could find. The smell is interesting. Spice, I can't quite put my finger on it, corridander maybe. The taste, its amazing, lactic sourness, sweetness, spice comes through. This beer is so refreshing. My wife loves it as well. Its a great drink, all around. Well done. Why are you still reading? Go get it!

08-28-2009 02:41:28 | More by drabmuh
Slatetank

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation- poured from a 16.9 oz brown bottle without freshness date into a stange glass

A - A hazy pale color similar to sunbrewed tea with a thin white head that leaves lace of compact bubbles

S - A wheaty spiced ale scent with a slight mineral quality I am guessing is a result ofadded salt since I have never tasted a Gose before. I swirled the yeast residing on the bottom of the bottle and poured it into the ale, which gave a more weizen/wit essencwith more of the salt and spice taste. Decent fruity esters and light tropical aromas become noticeable.

M - Lightly effervescent with a tangy fruity sourness. Full and creamy feel with lighty sea salt aftertaste.

T - Much as I expected the taste of coriander gives wit-like impressions while the cloudy yeast and effervescence akin to a weizen. Nice ale fruitiness and honey-like sweetness followed by a dash of salt and a mineral flavor this pleasing and tasty.

D - A unique wheat ale which is sessionable and easy to drink with a variety of snacks. I chose aged gouda but this is a great ale for summer all by itself.

06-17-2007 05:41:34 | More by Slatetank
jlindros

3.66/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Pemmet for grabbing this for me. This should go well on a crazy hot summer day.

Pours a huge fizzy almost 3 finger head that fades semi quickly at first like it's eating itself, then slows as it hits the 2 finger mark, and leaves spotty lacing all around, over a crystal clear honey tan colored beer.

Nose has an almost Belgian wit like aroma, not really the spices although there is a bit of coriander, but the Belgian malt profile, light bready grainy toasty straw like malts, a nice yeast profile with faint touches of esters but not the fruity esters, but eventually turns into that German grainy straw toasted malt beer with a faint hint of salt even.

Taste brings coriander to start, a little floral and almost tea like, with a juicy flowery tea and coriander flavors. Then into malts, soft malts this time around, almost wheat like, little grainy malt character, mostly pale malt. I don't really get the salt at first, but eventually when searching for it I can get a faint hint of it. I can almost swear I get orange zest as well faintly. Finish is not as dry as I expected, a little sticky but somewhat dry, hint of salt here, more lingering floral coriander and touch of almost sweet fruit flavor lingering.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, carb is a bit lighter than I expected.

Overall not bad, I think it's lost something from when it was in Germany, as most of the beers I've had here and while in Germany. It's decent, but I want to try it super fresh sometime. Seems like it's not quite the same beer it should be.

07-05-2013 17:57:49 | More by jlindros
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

an interesting article. pours hazy pale yellow with a lazy white head. the nose is heavy on the wheat malt, and the corriander seed is more prominent than the salt. almost herbal, or indian, rather than german. flavor is good, salt is much less than the other gose versions ive had, just subtle in the finish. the corriander and the wheat are the most dominant flavors. its spicy and yeasty and refreshing and drinkable. i dont love it, think it could use a little more body and perhaps even some more hops. an american gose, all hoppy and salty might be an interesting beer. who knows, for now, this is pretty tasty and affordable.

10-07-2012 00:00:31 | More by StonedTrippin
oline73

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear very light amber/golden color with just over a finger of white head that goes away very quickly.

Smell: Quite mild, some bready malt sweetness with a mild herbal note.

Taste: Very crisp and refreshing. A mild tartness compliments the salt and the coriander very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, carbonation is on the high side and the finish is dry.

Overall: Nice and light, I really liked the mild tartness. I would definitely have another.

08-01-2011 02:13:38 | More by oline73
mactrail

Washington

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

Just a slight cap of foam in the tulip. Hazy, dull golden color. Tart and reminds me of a Berliner Weissbier. The sharp taste fades a little into some mellower malt. A hint of fruit like pears and a very tart apple. Touch of hoppy bitterness. Like it was carefully fermented past any hint of residual sugar to a dose of vinegar. Rather clean, unfunky taste without any off flavors. Nose is slight beer, slight vinegar. Overall effect is not very drinkable but might be fine with sweet sausage and peppers.

Well, the mystery is whether this is a better than average Gose. I'm definitely on the lookout for some domestic versions of this wild style.

10-21-2011 05:02:09 | More by mactrail
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured dark gold with a thick white bubbly head that soon almost completely vanished to a wisp.
The smell was thin - a touch of coriander and hints of other spices.
The taste was of coriander, and eventually some citrusy lemon and orange crept in, but remained fairly subdued. It was a bit watery. The salt was hardly noticeable, until a bite in the feel on the tongue.
The feel, overall, was thin - the salt gave a drying effect.
A curious drink - something a bit unique - but nothing that I, personally, was impressed with, or that I was particularly craving more of when I was finished.

07-27-2006 21:50:53 | More by jwc215
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a clear copper color, it is well carbonated which supports a tan head. The aroma is of grain-wheat with notes of lemon and some light spice notes. To me this has a clean appetizing aroma. The beer is sweet up front with a lightly sour finish. The sourness seems to be both a combination of the wheat used and the yeast/ bugs used, though it is quite light and in almost not there when compared to some of the other sour beers of the world. This beer is light and refreshing, a perfect beer for this hot July night. There almost seems to be a smoky note in the finish, perhaps this is all that is left of the coriander. The beer itself is non-descriptly spicy. I have a feeling that this light beer is showing its age a bit, while still quite enjoyable, it was not as pronounced in its uniqueness as the brewing process would suggest.

08-02-2004 17:57:24 | More by Gueuzedude
Rochefort10nh

New Hampshire

4.25/5  rDev +9%

12-01-2011 19:48:05 | More by Rochefort10nh
Halcyondays

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

11.2 oz. bottle, my 1st Gose thanks to Liquid Solutions,

A: Pours a relatively clear yellow with a nice colour, big puffy white head at first that dies down pretty quickly.

S: Lemon juice and lactic acid.

T: Interesting flavour, it tastes a lot like a Berliner Weisse mixed with salt. The salt is evident, but it doesn't take over the brew. Full lemon and light orange are present as well.

M: Light and fizzy carbonation, but has a nice body from the acidity.

D: A unique brew, I'm glad I finally got to try something from this style. Pricey, but worth a go.

11-10-2008 19:03:44 | More by Halcyondays

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

01-13-2014 19:08:44 | More by beernads
kojevergas

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

Served on-draught at Bayrischer Bahnhof. Reviewed from notes taken in June 2011.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight (but nice) cream, average retention, and white colour. Colour is a hazy cloudy nontransparent orange-dirty brown colour. Appealing. A bit reminiscient of a hefeweizen, but "dirtier".

Sm: Hints of dirty esters. Sourness; maybe funk. Light and musty. Not great.

T: Souring estery hop climax. The open and body are comprised primarily of merely clean barley. The pinnacle is the souring hop climax; the finish carries those that linger. Simple, but a welcome change from mindless German pilseners. It's not quite balanced, but the climax is adequately emphasized.

Mf: Smooth and wet, complementing the sourness. A bit too wet, actually. Leaves a dry aftereffect that I'm not too fond of. Doesn't quite match the flavours of the body.

Dr: I don't really know the style well (this is me first beer in the style), but the emphasis seems to be on adequate presentation of the sourness. Belgian sours sure do this better, and this feels simple in comparison. I look forward to trying more beers in the style. Its low ABV never shows, not that you'd expect it to.

01-06-2012 03:32:44 | More by kojevergas
GClarkage

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05/12/05- Purchased at Wine Exchange of Sonoma.

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into my Ayinger weizen glass.

Appearance- A bit of a cloudy golden pour, a large on the creamy side foamy head and above average lacing. At least 1/2 inch of head was left throughout the entire beer.

Smell- A touch of corriander as well as a bit of a black olive scent. Maybe some kind of vegatable scent as well. Interesting, but not bad.

Taste- Was prepared to not like this one because of the "salt" factor. But, was I ever suprised. Tastes like a combo between a pils, hefe and get this...a flanders type ale? It has the nice wheat and corriander which makes you think weizen, and the light metallic twinge and bit of grain that says pils and I guess because of the salt, it creates a tad bit of sourness you might find in a flanders. All rolled into one it really works.

Mouthfeel- Lighter carbonation than expected, very smooth, clean and crisp as well.

Drinkability- This is a great summer beer. So easy to drink and one of the most refreshing beers I have had. The price was a bit steep ($4.50 I think), but it was worth it. I'm wishing I snagged another couple of these. Damn!

05-13-2005 17:25:12 | More by GClarkage
corby112

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

From notes:

Pours a murky, golden yellowish mustard brown color with a one finger foam white head. Decent retention, fading into a thin lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

The aroma of this beer has quite a bit going on. Hints of citrus peel, wheat, bread, spice, earthy and lemon juice.

Soft carbonation with sweet citrus flavor up front followed by a spicy and earthy presence mid palate and an odd salty dry finish. Hints of lemon zest, clove, salt and slight hops.

01-19-2011 02:41:19 | More by corby112
MarkyMOD

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

10-30-2012 02:13:06 | More by MarkyMOD
weeare138

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Appears a transparant gold with streams of carbonation pumping up to the top with a mild white collar and scattered lacing left around the glass.
Smell is of honey, flowers, and wheat with a touch of pepper and coriander.
Mouthfeel is dry and lightly carbonated.

02-24-2006 22:12:23 | More by weeare138
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

My very first Gose! Terribly exciting, even though I don't have anything to compare it against. Purchased from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, where Dave was quite excited about it. Brought back to Sydney to share with @LaitueGonflable.

Pours a hazed lemony colour, rather like a hefeweizen, but probably lighter than the usual German hef. Fine white head that stays as a clean and clinging film to the top of the glass. Minimal body and lacing, but it looks tasty.

Nose is crisp and lightly spicy, giving a slight acidic resonance to everything else. Characters of olives, seaweed, sawdust, green apple peel and even a touch of noble hops (imagine that!). Perhaps not as weird as it might have been on the nose (indeed, there's a touch of the Kristalweizen to it), but solid enough.

Taste is more odd, with a crisp acidity and light body that immediately reminds me of a Berliner Weisse. While it doesn't have the true funky finish, or the depth of sourness, it has the very crisp lightness. Salt comes forward on the back, giving a weird way to wash out the palate. Not a huge amount of character overall, but I like that even though it's light, the characters it has are unusual.

A very dry but crisp and unusual beer. Surprisingly moreish.

05-26-2011 09:44:21 | More by lacqueredmouse